Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-19-2006, 01:19 AM   #1
s13coupedude
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
s13coupedude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
$600-$700 to spend on suspension

I'm guessing coilovers are out of the picture,but I don't think I need them anyway since I won't be drifting or putting any hard stress on my car. So I think just a set of shocks and springs will be fine. I've done plenty of searching but I get lots of mixed reviews. I'm looking to go about 1.5-2 inches lower, and i've read that just buying springs will wear stock shocks out fast. So any suggestions on a good setup in that price range. Cheaper would be better but I don't want so cheap that my car will be breaking down after a few months. Thanks.
s13coupedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2006, 01:27 AM   #2
Daniel.
Post Whore!

Daniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Daniel.
kyb agx + ground controls

thats what i have.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:34 AM   #3
A Spec Products
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
A Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to A Spec Products
these days coilover setups are not far off from $600 bucks

might as well save a little bit more and gain adjustability versus being locked into settings in a shock/spring combo

A SPEC PRODUCTS CORP
AME Wheels, Advan, ARC, Gram Lights, Nardi, Personal, Recaro, Works Bell, Work Wheels, Volk Racing, 5Zigen, & more!
626.618.1100 x 103 / aim: aspectuan
Advertiser's Specials! Read / Give Feedback! Please Rate Us!
A Spec Products is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 01:39 AM   #4
s13coupedude
Leaky Injector

Sorry for being a noob but how easily are coilovers to adjust?
Old 04-19-2006, 01:48 AM   #5
Irukandji
Post Whore!

Irukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Irukandji
Used coilovers are under $700.

Adjusting coilovers... dampening is just twist of a knob.

adjusting height... just use a wrench and adjust the spring or mount accordingly.

It's easy.. but it sounds like you don't need coilovers.

Just buy some springs and shocks. Tokico Hp (blue ones) w/ Eibach Sportline springs.
Irukandji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 01:52 AM   #6
<3MyRiceRocKet
Leaky Injector

<3MyRiceRocKet is an unknown quantity at this point
NO!!! no tokico blues w/ sportlines, that crap did not even lower my car! Well I bought the car with that set up on it..I suggest at least K-sport or Megan. Though I have not tried them, reviews about them are good so far. Trust me! Just save up another c note and buy coilovers.
<3MyRiceRocKet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 02:00 AM   #7
s13coupedude
Leaky Injector

Well I don't know if I'd ever go any lower than 2" anyway. But this is the reason i'm having such a horrible time deciding what to buy. One guy says a setup that I was thinking about and the next guy says NOOO thats horrible lol. And I don't think I wanna buy used coilovers just because.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:07 AM   #8
<3MyRiceRocKet
Leaky Injector

they don't have to be used. Just save up bro, sooner or later you'll want nice coilovers just to have adjustability. It is a nice thing trust me! AHHHHH!!! You no like camba? A lito tucki tucki? Do it! Just do it!
Old 04-19-2006, 02:13 AM   #9
s13coupedude
Leaky Injector

Hmm so you think Megan coilovers would be fine? I think i read they cost around $800? Off the top of your head do you know a good site to check them out? Thanks for the quick replies.

MUST ELIMINATE 4X4 WHEEL GAP!!!
Old 04-19-2006, 02:25 AM   #10
<3MyRiceRocKet
Leaky Injector

yeah I know dudes who run them at drift practices...Can't remember what company is using them on their track cars, but feedback is that they're just as competent. Besides if you do not do any tracking, they will last a good while. I know my crappy tein ss are still holding up fine.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:36 AM   #11
s13coupedude
Leaky Injector

Well I think I'll probably go with the megan coilovers. These forums make me broke. Lol Jk.
A couple questions about installing. Any chance I could install these myself? The extent to my car instalation knowledge is putting on a CAI and changing a distributer cap and rotor lol. I'll have help form a friend that's alot more experienced in stuff like this. So you think we could do this with just basic tools and a normal floor jack? Cause i'd really like to start learning more and teaching myself how to do this stuff but I don't wanna mess something up in the process. Like I said i'm a . Thanks again.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:44 AM   #12
<3MyRiceRocKet
Leaky Injector

haha ok If you agree to search, I will pm you details about installing coils, ok? Gangsta. The back will be sooo easy once you learn to do the front set.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:53 AM   #13
s13coupedude
Leaky Injector

Heh ok i'll wanna get as much info as I can before i do it. Thanks for all the quick replies bro. PM me if you have time.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:35 AM   #14
Nan Desu Ka?!
Zilvia FREAK!

Nan Desu Ka?! is a name known to allNan Desu Ka?! is a name known to allNan Desu Ka?! is a name known to allNan Desu Ka?! is a name known to allNan Desu Ka?! is a name known to allNan Desu Ka?! is a name known to allNan Desu Ka?! is a name known to allNan Desu Ka?! is a name known to allNan Desu Ka?! is a name known to allNan Desu Ka?! is a name known to allNan Desu Ka?! is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Nan Desu Ka?!
save up another 200$ and go with megans. done and done. if you are really feeling frisky save up another 300-400$ and go with KTS and be happier still. your choice

/$0.02

p.s. i have the megans and im happy.

Norcal-240sx.net
Nan Desu Ka?! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 05:29 AM   #15
AdoriPimp
Zilvia Member

AdoriPimp can only hope to improve
Your really going to save money by doing it right the first time! Eventually your going to want better.
AdoriPimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 05:39 AM   #16
sncs14
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
sncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
listen to us save another few hundred and get some entry level coilovers.
sncs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 06:21 AM   #17
DrtyRat
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
DrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13coupedude
Hmm so you think Megan coilovers would be fine? I think i read they cost around $800? Off the top of your head do you know a good site to check them out? Thanks for the quick replies.

MUST ELIMINATE 4X4 WHEEL GAP!!!
talk with jay @www.c2auto.com ....you'll get the best service period...if you want an informative description about them go to www.meganracing.com but I think all websites use megan racings description as their own...g.l.
DrtyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 07:47 AM   #18
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
well... one thing you want to keep in mind with coilovers is that you need to get an alignment after you do the install. furthermore, you should get the car corner weighed if you really want to set the car properly.

so if your budget is $700... i'd save up a bit more cash before you go ahead with this.
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:49 AM   #19
OptionZero
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
OptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to OptionZero
no point in getting an alignment and corner weight, he's not going to drive the car hard, he just wants to look "cool" by having a lowered car

Two options:
1. sell your 240sx now to someone who'll use it

or

2. cut your springs, hurt your back and get frustrated or dead...which leads to #1

get a Honda, they're plentiful and there are cheap parts available to lower it
OptionZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 12:01 PM   #20
Daniel.
Post Whore!

Daniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Daniel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptionZero
no point in getting an alignment and corner weight, he's not going to drive the car hard, he just wants to look "cool" by having a lowered car

Two options:
1. sell your 240sx now to someone who'll use it

or

2. cut your springs, hurt your back and get frustrated or dead...which leads to #1

get a Honda, they're plentiful and there are cheap parts available to lower it
That's uncalled for. It's comments like that which push newbies away from the community. We should be teaching them, not quite spoon feeding them but I don't think we need to be telling them to sell their 240's and go buy a honda.

This thread has been supportive so far up until you posted.

Back on topic.

I'm pretty happy with my KYB AGX + Ground Control combo for daily driving. To be honest, after having them for 2 years and having my car remain mostly stock, I never needed the adjustability of a coilover set. Now that I'm actually throwing money at the car... I really would prefer a coilover setup.

Everyone is right, save the couple extra hundred dollars and spend it on some entry level setup and you will be much happier.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:18 PM   #21
Jefferson
Zilvia Junkie

Jefferson is making a name for him/her selfJefferson is making a name for him/her self
Definately save up a bit more and get some entry level coils. Megans are cool, Enjuku's drift cars use them last year, I've "heard" good stuff about them
Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 12:20 PM   #22
oridostyle
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
oridostyle is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
KTS ftw
oridostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 02:44 PM   #23
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

DRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to DRIFTER-M
You can get new Tanabe Pro SOCII (or something like that) coilovers for 750ish shipped.
DRIFTER-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 03:20 PM   #24
Nismo180
Leaky Injector

Nismo180 is a well-known jackass
sway bars are the best bang for the buck suspension mod ever. Nothing makes a bigger difference for the price,and you can get a nice set for 600$
Nismo180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 03:24 PM   #25
OptionZero
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
OptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to OptionZero
tires are the best bang for the buck
OptionZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 06:56 PM   #26
m072514
Zilvia Junkie

m072514 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to m072514
my personal opinion is that you dont really need the coilovers, especially if youre a self-described newb. welcome to the community. you would be best served by using that $600 on fresh high-performance tires, a proper alignment, and enough gas to learn how to drive your car stock.

...if your dampers are blown, or you are ABSOLUTELY deadset on buying parts, then i would recommend suspension techniques sway bars, eibach pro-kit springs, and kyb agx adjustable gas shocks (my setup). i got all of that BRAND NEW for exactly $700. it just takes some time to look for them and maybe a little bit of juice / hookups / whatever.

the kyb agx's are really nice, theyve got almost the same adjustability as coilovers (without height adjustment) and they bolt on very easily, if youre not too experienced with working on your car. good luck, and let us know what you decide on. if you have any questions, search, then ask. take care!
Old 04-20-2006, 12:51 AM   #27
kazuo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
kazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You need to save more money.

FACT.

Save more money and get something good.

$1200 should be enough.
kazuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:43 AM   #28
KAZILLA

KAZILLA is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree with "Nismo180". Sway bars best place to start, I have TNB's they are thicker than ST bars. Then I bought SPL rear subframe bushings, and SPL front tension rods. Eventually I lowered it, I forked out enough to get some Cusco Damper kit , somewhat pricey.

As far as coilovers go, Tein Basic, K-Sport, D2's, KBee's and Megans all entry for about $800-900.

Like Kazou says save up, believe me I had a standard stage 1 set up, tokico w/ h & r springs, but wanted more....next thing ya known you spend around as much money for a turbo kit!!!
KAZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 02:22 AM   #29
wangan_cruiser
kouki man

Trader Rating: (36)
wangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Send a message via AIM to wangan_cruiser
KA

honestly...ill go for coilovers if i were u....i mean u go for only daily drive. then later on u got used to drive a lil bit silly....and start wondering u want to upgrade ur suspension set up again....so basically it'll double ur expenses. ok whatever...ill go for coilovers

save extra $$$ and go get yourself a better one
wangan_cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:08 AM   #30
REDSH!FT
Zilvia Junkie

REDSH!FT is on a distinguished road
Megan Racing coilovers are great IMO...They definitely get the job done and then some.

I'd say that they are worth it for anyone who just can't afford to buy on the next step up (around 1200-1300), or doesn't care to spend that much money.

$899 shipped is the going rate for MR coilovers more or less.
REDSH!FT is offline   Reply With Quote