Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #31
TwelveAM
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
TwelveAM is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Sell the S13 and buy something newer. These things are a never ending money pit and somewhat regret blowing so much money into these chassis'.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #32
cranestyle

Trader Rating: (0)
cranestyle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for all the input, I see there are a lot of fiscally responsible sr20 fans on this site, lol...

I'll keep you guys posted with the final result.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:19 PM   #33
Juanizzle

Juanizzle is an unknown quantity at this point
i say buy a house too, cant live in a s13 with a cage and full bolt on's.. unless you hang your clothes on the cage pipes, and sleep on the seat.

10k is plenty to get a decent house, i only spent like 6k on a first time home buyers house. and i still have my Si as my daily, its not fun, but its life dude.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #34
WristWork
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
WristWork is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanizzle View Post
i say buy a house too, cant live in a s13 with a cage and full bolt on's.. unless you hang your clothes on the cage pipes, and sleep on the seat.

10k is plenty to get a decent house, i only spent like 6k on a first time home buyers house. and i still have my Si as my daily, its not fun, but its life dude.
Too bad he already owns a house....
Old 05-26-2013, 10:58 PM   #35
240drew
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (10)
240drew is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
With the new Roth TSP, for a few months put in 3/4 of your pay check using the bonus to fund your life. Be thrifty don't spend like a mad man spend as you normally would. i am guessing your around an E4/5 first reenlisment. So your pulling probably around 1000+ per check make it last 4 months So you have a little extra over the next few months to burn and then when your finished you have a nice bit in your TSP for retirement.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:35 PM   #36
babowc
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
babowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
$9700 in Augusta, would probably go a decent way for a down payment on a cheaper house...
Old 05-26-2013, 11:57 PM   #37
KOUKIboy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
KOUKIboy is making his/her stupidity well-knownKOUKIboy is making his/her stupidity well-knownKOUKIboy is making his/her stupidity well-knownKOUKIboy is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Get SR, build the bottom and top ends, get BN Aero, wide body, some nice wide as wheels, replace all the suspension components with aftermarket, nice Bride seats and done.....
Old 05-27-2013, 12:26 AM   #38
h2v7
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (3)
h2v7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
dude plz do lsx and twin charge it insted
Old 05-27-2013, 12:38 AM   #39
mmmS13
Leaky Injector

mmmS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
1. Rent a GT-R for a week
2. Pick up chicks
3. Save left over cash

Or Just save it all.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:41 AM   #40
Slippin'eight-nine
Leaky Injector

Slippin'eight-nine is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
Whats with threads like this?

You have money, why dont you figure out how you want to spend it.

I understand its very challenging for some people to have to stop and think about your options, but it takes nothing but time to do your own research and come to your own conclusions.

Everyone is going to say "If I had 10k, I'de do this and that" but the majority of people on the forum are fucking stupid idiots. So basically, you're asking advice from morons who are financially irresponsible, live at home, and think an old NISSAN is the most important thing in their life.

Why dont you ask yourself this: do you really want to spend 10k on a car that is fucking old and on life support? Not only that, parts are getting scarce so... up to you. Put that money toward a better car.

Yeap. And banks accepting 10k down is why the economy tanked.

Just think, in 400 years you can pay off your own house! Sounds great!
This right here^^ is the reason I still lurk on this site! Haha the Truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Thank you good sir my night is complete!
Anyways OP I would say suspension( bushings, arms,coilovers,etc), brakes,rims and tires,then Ls.
Remaining money aero&paint
Old 05-27-2013, 12:56 AM   #41
babowc
Post Whore!

babowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippin'eight-nine View Post
This right here^^ is the reason I still lurk on this site! Haha the Truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Thank you good sir my night is complete!
Anyways OP I would say suspension( bushings, arms,coilovers,etc), brakes,rims and tires,then Ls.
Remaining money aero&paint
ROFL.. Such a fuckin retard... Did you even read what you quoted?
Sigh.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:07 AM   #42
Trap Star
Zilvia Junkie

Trap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Trap Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranestyle View Post
Aww, Broadfield's got my back! I'm 25, married with kids. I own two homes (1 I rent) and I do have hella tools. I used my last deployment money to pay for homes, kids college funds and wife cooking lessons. The 9700 is MINES. I have tossed around ls1 swaps, ka-t building, and I've had a constant eye on the rocket bunny kits since enjuku started carrying them.
Cooking lessons best investment so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi
Yeap. And banks accepting 10k down is why the economy tanked.

Just think, in 400 years you can pay off your own house! Sounds great!
Small down payments were not the only issue. They were a symptom of a larger problem. The "Glass-Steagall Act" was designed to keep something like the 08 crisis from happening. Unfortunately after years of lobbying from the financial sector it was repealed in 1999.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:19 AM   #43
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
I used my last deployment money to pay for homes, kids college funds and wife cooking lessons. The 9700 is MINES.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:45 AM   #44
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
$9700...
Home improvements or stock up on supplies for the toddler that lives in my house.
I would go for hardwood floors, and perhaps new bathroom stuff. I would use whatever remains on my 240, but probably be more interested in trading it for something I could get more use out of, as I have driven the damn thing TWICE in almost 3 months.

And I write too!
Old 05-27-2013, 03:58 AM   #45
BossHogg
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
BossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really nice
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
So its pure car money, glad you got that straightened out, I was on the same page as broadfield just didn't want to type it out lol. This is somewhat of a tuff thing to list as we don't know what is all wrong with the car. I am more of clean stock looking guy with a solid working car before looks. I would probably do full spl suspension, some sort of mid-range coil over. Then I would address problems with the car. If the motor is a problem either swap or strengthen/refresh your ka and turbo. It's funny that people actually put the "old worn beat car" status in play. It means nothing. I guess everyone who restores classics are stupid? 10 grand can go far, but also seem like you got no where. I would not do any body mods(after market) unless its minor cheap things. (lips, spoiler, dress up). Depending on current condition of exterior maybe buff the car and polish to freshen it up. If paint is faded etc then maybe think of mild body mods with paint. I would honestly just freshen up the car to within your personal standards then do the suspension, some sort of LSD, SR swap with light bolt ons or turbo KA, some sort of tuning, z32 brakes all around, some decent used wheels, clutch, exhaust, essential guages etc. It all depends on what deals you can find. You wrenching yourself will help save major cash.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:45 AM   #46
Crondy
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Crondy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Make a P.A.L. of everything you want done to the car. Research again for prices. Either don't buy anything until you have absolutely enough and then some, or constantly look for deals on the items you want. It will take time, so in that time, set your priorities straight. Build the car on the side, don't let it consume your life. A nice hobby is always fun, regretting 20k on a car is not. I would spend the first half of the build time prepping the bare chassis, stitching/tubs, tube front/rear, cage, possibly paint but learn to do it yourself, etc. Search for deals on quality parts with the down time. Collect parts, go ham.

Honestly, unless drifting is where you want to be at the end of your life, don't do it. Just don't.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #47
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg View Post
It's funny that people actually put the "old worn beat car" status in play. It means nothing. I guess everyone who restores classics are stupid?
1) Its not a classic
2) Its not a fucking classic
3) ITS A PIECE OF SHIT 240SX, ITS NOT A FUCKING CLASSIC

Find me the people who have done full-on restorations, please. Besides me and toby, and like 3 other people. Find me people who've really gone that in-depth into their restorations. They are far and few between... which is why its stupid.

Its stupid because its a lot of money, which I have personal hands-on knowledge of and can tell you that 10k is opening, its not enough to seal the deal. I can scratch my ass with 10k and the car would still be far from complete.

Besides the fact that these cars are still not valuable or collectable, etc... they are not CLASSICS. Want a classic? Buy something they didnt make 240,000,024,042 of.... (ie: NOT a 240SX).

I'm still waiting to see a 240Z sell for big money. So far, they're still too many out there.. and they are 20 years older than our pieces of shit.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #48
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Quote:
Buy something they didnt make 240,000,024,042 of.... (ie: NOT a 240SX).
That's actually a few less than I was thinking

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 05-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #49
nekrodev
Leaky Injector

nekrodev is an unknown quantity at this point
RB25DET swap and some extras, wheels, maybe aero.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #50
Slippin'eight-nine
Leaky Injector

Slippin'eight-nine is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by babowc View Post
ROFL.. Such a fuckin retard... Did you even read what you quoted?
Sigh.
Yes i did. I agreed with his post and then offered the OP some direction to stay on topic. Did u read it?
Old 05-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #51
SLiDe_WaYz
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
SLiDe_WaYz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Speaking of a 240Z my buddy is restoring one and he has about 10K in his full OEM restoration and had at least another 5-10 to go, and he's doing it himself in his garage.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #52
BossHogg
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
BossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really nice
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
1) Its not a classic
2) Its not a fucking classic
3) ITS A PIECE OF SHIT 240SX, ITS NOT A FUCKING CLASSIC

Find me the people who have done full-on restorations, please. Besides me and toby, and like 3 other people. Find me people who've really gone that in-depth into their restorations. They are far and few between... which is why its stupid.

Its stupid because its a lot of money, which I have personal hands-on knowledge of and can tell you that 10k is opening, its not enough to seal the deal. I can scratch my ass with 10k and the car would still be far from complete.

Besides the fact that these cars are still not valuable or collectable, etc... they are not CLASSICS. Want a classic? Buy something they didnt make 240,000,024,042 of.... (ie: NOT a 240SX).

I'm still waiting to see a 240Z sell for big money. So far, they're still too many out there.. and they are 20 years older than our pieces of shit.
you missed the point completely, which doesn't surprise me at all. I was simply commenting on the "spend 10k on a car that is old and on life support". When he clearly said he has well maintained 240 with all the maintenance up to date. Doesn't sound like life support to me. The point was people waste money on numerous cars that are way worse and beat than a 240sx. They have long been off life support in some cases (which is usually a classic car, which doesn't necessarily mean its worth big money either). I wasn't talking about the 240sx specifically being "classic". How you logically came to that idea, i'm still wondering. It's a personal taste of what people decide to modify or restore. But it seems you only judge something by what it's worth. Which is just bad logic in my opinion. If you plan on keeping a car forever then worth becomes nothing. It becomes personal. That was just an example, not saying it applies here. Why you even brought up a resale value or worth is beyond me. Whats funny is your own example the 240z, yet people still restore those from terrible conditions. Pretty much contradicts everything you just said. Why? Maybe it was their first car back in the day. Maybe their dad had one when they were a kid etc. Selling for "big money" should be the last thing on your mind. He would not be on this site if slanging cars for big money was his game. I personally look at it as, "it's just money, plenty of it out there." I'm not rich by any means, but 15-20k a month as a non married, kidless, mid 20's adult suites me fine.

If you read my comment, I to said 10k can go far, yet still feel like you went no where. Believe me, I have a shit ton of money in my car. But if that is what you like then what does it matter? People waste money on stupid shit all the time. That is what it's for, spending.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #53
2.5T_/<ouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
+ sell '93 hatch. Buy Kia Optima. Never think about modding a car again.
I love the optimas! If i were to go 4 door i would def go with this.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #54
Akito86
Zilvia Junkie

Akito86 is an unknown quantity at this point
It's your money anything you want but don't forget family first,
Now that's being addressed, I am taking donations please pm me good sir! Good day. -.^
Old 05-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #55
tengo240
Zilvia Junkie

tengo240 is an unknown quantity at this point
buy a nice clean chassis ,or make it one , cage ,bracing, coilovers ,arms ,wheels ,then 2/1 jz .tune,alingment, other cool fun shit.
im not proud but id buy a cheap as hell mx73 and do the 1/2jz thing, miesters,bride seats , full s13/14 suspension thing,but that's me and im stupid.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #56
RhdjokerNJ
Leaky Injector

RhdjokerNJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I have a well maintained 93 hatch, with only exhaust and a short shifter. All the usual maintenance stuff is up to snuff. I'm about to get a 9700 dollar reenlist net bonus from the army, any ideas on what I should do? I plan on a full forged rebuild of the bottom end, but after that I'm overwhelmed by the options. Any suggestions would be great.
2jz+r154 trans+coilovers=
Old 05-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #57
BoostedJay
Zilvia Member

BoostedJay is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd put it into drugs and buy a GTR with the return.. :shrug:

No, but on a serious note - if it's a car you really love I'd have no issue putting money into it. As someone said, 2j that bitch with an R154, A/C, and an AEM EMS so it'll drive like stock day in and day out. Not your cup of tea? Now a days you can seriously probably sell your s13, and buy an Evo or STi with your money. Have a great, fun daily. My S4 is just that. V8, fun to drive, reliable. I love it!
Old 05-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #58
Hanzi
Zilvia Member

Hanzi is an unknown quantity at this point
Buy a black evo
http://chrisreese.tumblr.com/
Old 05-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #59
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
Down payment for a house
X10000000000000000000000000

Or look into investing a portion of that towards your retirement and pay off some debt.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:12 PM   #60
nekrodev
Leaky Injector

nekrodev is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenkiKid View Post
X10000000000000000000000000

Or look into investing a portion of that towards your retirement and pay off some debt.
Post count definitely doesn't indicate the ability to read as well.

THIS HAS BEEN COVERED.

HE IS SPENDING THIS ON HIS S13.

GIVE HIM IDEAS FOR HIS S13.