Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Archive and FAQs

Archive and FAQs Archives and Frequently Asked Questions about the 240SX are in here.

Old 08-15-2005, 06:17 PM   #1
OptionZero
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
OptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to OptionZero
Rear main seal

As i'm collecting parts for a clutch job, i was told to also change the "rear main seal" that goes between engine and tranny

Anyone got a part number or other name for this? I've looked on Kragen.com and Autozone.com and can't seem to find the right part.

Some other parts sites list a "extension housing seal" as part of the tranny, is that right?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2005, 07:24 PM   #2
crioten
"buddy jesus"

Trader Rating: (0)
crioten is making a name for him/her selfcrioten is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to crioten
i think what they are reffering to is the seal that goes around the back of the crank...

i wouldnt worry about it, but thats just me...
I'd rather take the bus with a bus-full of AIDS infected naked rape convicts than drive a VW.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:56 PM   #3
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
I could use this part # as well. I'm replacing mine during my tranny swap. I worry about it because it's the only seal I haven't replaced, and the only one that is leaking.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:20 PM   #4
Rittmeister
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
Rittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really nice
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Just ask your dealership for the rear main oil seal for a FWD SR20 motor - '91-'94 Sentra SE-R, 95-98 200SX SE-R, 98 Sentra SE, 99 Sentra SE Limited, 00-01 (I think) Sentra SE 2.0

B13 SE-R is easiest.

And yes, I'd worry about it. It's a $10 part or so, is pretty easy to replace; if you've got the tranny/clutch out, you should resurface the flywheel anyway so it'll be out. After that, it's right there.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:39 PM   #5
SR240DET
Zilvia FREAK!

SR240DET has much to be proud ofSR240DET has much to be proud ofSR240DET has much to be proud ofSR240DET has much to be proud ofSR240DET has much to be proud ofSR240DET has much to be proud ofSR240DET has much to be proud ofSR240DET has much to be proud ofSR240DET has much to be proud ofSR240DET has much to be proud ofSR240DET has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to SR240DET
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rittmeister
Just ask your dealership for the rear main oil seal for a FWD SR20 motor - '91-'94 Sentra SE-R, 95-98 200SX SE-R, 98 Sentra SE, 99 Sentra SE Limited, 00-01 (I think) Sentra SE 2.0

B13 SE-R is easiest.
HAHHAA how come you asume its for a SR?....

if your transmission is off... you might as well replace it since its only a few bucks and will save your engine in the long run...
Old 08-15-2005, 08:47 PM   #6
OptionZero
Post Whore!

OptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfection
its for KA
Old 08-15-2005, 08:48 PM   #7
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
the extension housing seal is the transmission rear oil seal; i.e. *not* the seal you are looking for. for a ka24de (straight from an old order status):

Mechanical Catalog - Nissan
Engine, Crankshaft and bearings, Rear main seal, REAR MAIN SEAL, 240SX - KA24DE 1 $13.13 $0.00 $13.13

i had the part number on the bag it came in but i threw it out.

you can order it from everythingnissan.com, or any of the other major nissan parts website if you just do a search for "rear main seal." everythingnissan.com has a diagram of it on their webpage when you look up the part. consider printing it out and taking it to your local nissan dealer if you don't want to wait for shipping.

for something like this, i would use OEM. going with a crappy 3rd party seal is fine on something easy to replace like the tranny oil seal; but this one is kind of hard to get to. it's not like it's that expensive anyway.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:52 PM   #8
OptionZero
Post Whore!

kragen found me a "rear main seal set" for $17, sound right to anyone?
Old 08-15-2005, 08:59 PM   #9
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
i would be worried that they call it a 'set'

its just a single ring seal.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:19 PM   #10
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
It's about 3inch in diameter, and anytime you have the transmission out you should at least check it, they're prone to wear and once it goes you'll have a slipping clutch due to the bath of oil it gets.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
Old 08-15-2005, 10:17 PM   #11
Rittmeister
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
Rittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really nice
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
My bad, I'm spring-loaded to the SR position - that's all I've ever really dealt with (FWD and RWD)...

I've had good luck with printing the FSM page with the exploded drawing that includes whatever part I'm after, taking it to the dealer, and saying "this is what I need."
Old 08-16-2005, 10:15 AM   #12
OptionZero
Post Whore!

even though it's a set, i made sure to ask- it's just one piece. Set must be just how it is named in the database.

We'll see, hopefully it works.

Sucks, car in san francisco, i'm sitting here in sac.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:03 AM   #13
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

i'm gonna chime in again and recommend you get an OEM seal.

i had a crappy autozone seal on the tranny which went out after 3 months. you don't want that happening with the rear main seal, unless you *really* enjoy dropping the tranny and unbolting your flywheel.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:31 AM   #14
anthony240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
anthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anthony240
yea get oem, price is about the same.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:47 AM   #15
OptionZero
Post Whore!

whats the part number for an OEM one...which was the original post question
Old 08-16-2005, 12:06 PM   #16
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

man you lazy ass...

i sent off an email to the guy i always buy shit from for the part #

they should get back to me in an hour or two
Old 08-16-2005, 12:28 PM   #17
OdessaS13
Zilvia Addict

OdessaS13 is a jewel in the roughOdessaS13 is a jewel in the roughOdessaS13 is a jewel in the roughOdessaS13 is a jewel in the roughOdessaS13 is a jewel in the roughOdessaS13 is a jewel in the roughOdessaS13 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to OdessaS13
kragen has them in store. its $16 with tax. i had mine cnaged about 3 weeks ago it was cracking
Old 08-16-2005, 02:38 PM   #18
OptionZero
Post Whore!

cool, i ordered that one from kragen. $17 w/ tax, should be the same
Old 08-16-2005, 03:02 PM   #19
Grandpa
Zilvia Member

Grandpa is an unknown quantity at this point
Oe Dohc #: 12279-5l310
Old 08-16-2005, 04:22 PM   #20
OptionZero
Post Whore!

eexcellent...perhaps thatguy can put this in FAQ!
Old 08-16-2005, 04:27 PM   #21
CKAMC
Post Whore!

CKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfection
http://az240sx.org/faq.html its right there on their already.... but yeah can be helpful for zilvia to have one as well
Old 08-17-2005, 07:21 PM   #22
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
OK, here's the important info for the Archives.

OEM KA24DE Rear Main Seal Part# 12279-5l310

Now moving this to Archives and FAQ Section. If anyone has different info you feel should be added to this, please contact me through PM. Thank You.

-ThatGuy

-Barry

*edit*
This just in from Johnnie Fraz:

Just to let ya know the rear main seal for the single cam OEM part number is #12279-2B500.
List price is $27.57 @ Future Nissan in Roseville ,Ca
List price for aftermarket $57.45 from Napa.

Rear tranny seal @Napa $4.99 Beck/Arney part number 052-1328

Just some info I found.

Last edited by ThatGuy; 10-28-2005 at 05:05 PM..