Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:07 AM   #1
Jesse_Shoots

Trader Rating: (0)
Jesse_Shoots is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Speedo cuts in and out '96

I just picked up a '96 240sx a few days ago and the speedometer will cut in and out periodically. If I tap around on the cluster it will cut back on so my guess is that a contact point on the circuit board needs to be re-soldered. I've searched up and down and only found threads about it being the speed sensor, but since it works in and out I don't think that's the problem. There could be a short in the wiring, but again I don't think tapping on the cluster would fix that.

I read this post:
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=355077
but it's talking about fixing the tach for a kouki cluster, not the speedo for a zenki cluster. Would this be the right way to go about doing the speedo or what else could it be?
Jesse_Shoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #2
Jesse_Shoots

Anybody know anything?
Old 04-18-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
hardtime21
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (19)
hardtime21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
If you have to tap the speedo, your problem is in the actual cluster. You have two options! Replace the cluster or find a working speedo to replace the the one in the cluster! The speedo in the cluster sounds as if it's on it's last leg! Hope this helps! Also you could find the troubleshoot in the FSM for your particular car!
hardtime21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:30 PM   #4
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
My experience with 3 S14s is just to replace the tach and speedo off a known good cluster. Its always a good idea to have spare clusters for this. I think I got 3 clusters that I use for parts. I've replaced Tach, Speedo and fuel gauge on my current S14 in the last 3 yrs.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #5
Alamo_City_210
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Alamo_City_210 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
As Hardtime21 said. Get the FSM and it will walk you through the troubleshooting for the issue. i had/have the same problem. Followed the FSM and it appears to be my Vehicle Speed Sensor.
Alamo_City_210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:39 PM   #6
Jesse_Shoots

Thanks for the advice guys, I've planned on following the FSM troubleshooting procedures but since the car isn't with me at the moment I was just gonna see what everyone else thought. I'll have to find a new cluster to pull from if the problems persist.