Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:32 AM   #1
DanteTris

Trader Rating: (0)
DanteTris is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 1989 Hatch build

Hey everyone, I am new to this forum. I am not however new to S Chassis cars.

I just picked up this 89 hatch a few days ago for a whopping $700:

89 hatch SE
5 spd
Sohc
230,XXX

It needs some live but it runs great and actually pulls pretty well (for a 27 y/o car with 200k+).

Ive never owned a ka24e before so i have a few questions about it:

Block is mostly the same as dual cam so can i use a DE flywheel?
Besides the bellhousing i am pretty sure the transmission is the same, is that correct?
And finally, are there any differences in the driveshaft, diff, or axles? (besides ABS)

As for the plans for this car, I do plan to swap out the engine with an SR sometime in the next couple years, but until that point i want to:

Upgrade suspension
Fix and upgrade trans/drivetrain (piolet bearing is bad, has odd *differential clunk)
Upgrade interior (wheel, seats)
And give the engine some TLC
DanteTris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2016, 04:50 PM   #2
ellopuppet
Leaky Injector

ellopuppet is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice find. So is this going to be a DD? why not just start prepping for your swap if you are going that route.
ellopuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:23 AM   #3
DanteTris

Well to be honest I'm in the military and the swap is still pretty far away. So my plan is to get dialed in until my extension is up (im extended for another 2 years).
Old 02-14-2016, 01:07 PM   #4
DanteTris

Thumbs up Little Update

ok so A little update here,

Just did a very in depth Seafoam, oil change (m1 Syn), fuel filter, spark plugs (NGKs).

Car runs absolutely amazing now, getting ready to smog this thing..

I have a new slave cylinder, and I have a replacement for the soft clutch line (Braided SS). I am considering removing the clutch damper, would anybody have a reason as to why I should NOT? or any other information that I should know before diving in (keep in mind that I have read the few forum posts regarding this already and believe that I have sufficient knowledge to do the removal)?

Ok so on to the relevant stuff:

-Sold the SR20 head that I had been working on (TOMEI 270's solid lifters,shims, guides) to a buddy of mine who is rebuilding his SR for his 510.

-Found a "s13 KAAS 2-way" at a shop near by, turned out to be a broken VLSD (guy tried to swindle me for $400) too bad I know the difference. (if you're in SOCAL and want to know where this was, PM me)
(Also looking for an s13 welded diff in good shape in SOCAL, as the ring & Pinion on mine are shot)

-priced out driveshafts and found they are all pretty much the same price. (looking for a KA 1-peice in socal)

-Wired myself a killswitch that I doubt will ever be found by anyone (my AE86 got stolen less than a year ago)

Alright, so now to sum up the purpose of this build; I am trying to make modifications that will remain relevant even once I swap out the engine/tranny, however I also am fixing things (such as drivetrain issues) that will maintain drive-able car until that point.

Some things that i am looking for:
S13 Diff (welded preferred)
S13 KA driveshaft
S13 Coilovers
S13 suspension pieces
bigger brakes swap pieces

Some pictures (sorry I was playing with the settings on my phone to counter the brightness of the sun but now I've F**ked it all up):

The AE86 if anyone was interested: