Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-06-2014, 05:24 AM   #1
97240sxle

Trader Rating: (0)
97240sxle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Foam chassis stiffening

Has anyone actually used foam as a means to stiffen their chassis and if they have what has been their experience... good or bad. No detail is not worth mentioning. Any and all experience is welcome.

Before anyone tells me to use the search or google I have... Extensively. I have come across many "has anyone?" threads but none with any actually doing it or with any long term updates. I did read an article in Modified that they did it to their drift car project but and experienced positive results but nothing further.

Please no trolling or "I heard from a friend who heard from his cousin who heard from a bartender who heard from a hooker who heard from a co-worker that her boyfriend foamed his pillars and they blew up causing death, destruction and mayhem" (for the smart asses out there I know the use of death, destruction and mayhem is redundant because the word mayhem implies the other two words)
97240sxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2014, 06:27 AM   #2
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Either you don't know how to use the search button or you don't know how to use the search button. There are over a dozen threads on Zilvia alone on this very subject.

I'm feeling nice.

Here's one.

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t...oam+stiffening

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:27 AM   #3
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
tons of info on this...
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:24 AM   #4
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Either you don't know how to use the search button or you don't know how to use the search button. There are over a dozen threads on Zilvia alone on this very subject.

I'm feeling nice.

Here's one.

Check join date, he doesn't know how to use it yet...
Old 10-06-2014, 11:32 AM   #5
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
What is this Wangan Midnight?
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #6
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i thought about it

problem was, you end up limiting yourself in case you ever need to service that section of the car.

for example, what if you want to run wires, or do paintless dent removal, or weld... all of that is an issue. plus theres the possibility that it could retain moisture.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:29 PM   #7
97240sxle

I have read dozens of articles on people doing this and how miraculous it is. But what I'm interested in is weeks... Months... Years later. Any regret? Problems? Things unforeseen at the time of modification that later proved costly. Not give me this crap that just because of join date this my first forum or experience on a forum. If in my months of searching I have read 8 articles on people doing the foam but zero on months or years later... Good or bad. I apologize if my original post was a little vague or misinterpreted.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:32 PM   #8
97240sxle

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post

I'm feeling nice.

Here's one.

I've read it. But once again no follow up. Did he have further mods that were hindered by the mod. Did he over look something that I could learn from his experience. Several of the articles that I have read I've PMd with no reply. Once again.... Weeks... Months... Years later. I understand the people that do it think its the shit. But what of down the line?
Old 10-07-2014, 01:11 AM   #9
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
I did mine about 4 years ago. No regrets. It definitely made the car sound more solid. It still sounds more solid than most other 240's I ride in, but everything else rattles now as it has gotten older. I had to pull my dash and carpet, doing this added on about an extra day, so I'd say it's worth it. My god was it messy though.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:56 AM   #10
97240sxle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman5982 View Post
I did mine about 4 years ago. No regrets. It definitely made the car sound more solid. It still sounds more solid than most other 240's I ride in, but everything else rattles now as it has gotten older. I had to pull my dash and carpet, doing this added on about an extra day, so I'd say it's worth it. My god was it messy though.
What brand of foam did you use? What would you have done differently? Any advice going in? Which parts did you do? Can you contribute the rattling of the ar to the foam injections?
Old 10-07-2014, 02:00 AM   #11
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
I used Great Stuff, in the red can. I did the A,B, and C pillars, the rails under the front seats, and the dead space under the doors. Only thing I would have done different was pulled the tubes for water drainage on the sunroof out a little so there was some slack. My the foam dried it pull mine out of place, but I had enough to put in a coupler and rejoin it back to the duct. Wear clothes you don't care about. It gets everywhere.

The rattles are not from the foam. It's from under the dash and in the rear speaker tray area. I just need to go in and and tighten stuff up
Old 10-07-2014, 04:33 AM   #12
97240sxle

Quote:
I used Great Stuff, in the red can. I did the A,B, and C pillars, the rails under the front seats, and the dead space under the doors. Only thing I would have done different was pulled the tubes for water drainage on the sunroof out a little so there was some slack. My the foam dried it pull mine out of place, but I had enough to put in a coupler and rejoin it back to the duct. Wear clothes you don't care about. It gets everywhere.

The rattles are not from the foam. It's from under the dash and in the rear speaker tray area. I just need to go in and and tighten stuff up
Would you do the frame rails?
Old 10-08-2014, 09:34 AM   #13
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:

Great stuff? Thats not chassis stiffening foam, thats just home depot foam.

Google chassis stiffening foam. Its industrial grade that usually costs a few hundred bucks. It does not hold moisture and will actually increase rigidity.

Malays going at it - shop there specializes in this:
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1474994/all
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:02 PM   #14
Style
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
Style is on the path to ruinStyle is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Read this:
http://www.dow.com/webapps/lit/litor...4.pdf&pdf=true

Then do a google search and find out where you buy this stuff from.
http://www.dowautomotive.com/capabil...y/betafoam.htm
Old 10-08-2014, 04:28 PM   #15
crzsteveo
Zilvia Addict

crzsteveo is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97240sxle View Post
Would you do the frame rails?
do not do the frame rails. it will keep in moisture and rust your rails from the inside out.

this is why. did this when I was 16. my first 240. rusty turd.

http://www.slidewaysonline.com/Forum....php?f=8&t=249
crzsteveo is offline   Reply With Quote