Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
tyson2699

Trader Rating: (0)
tyson2699 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need ideas for a first car

Considering this is a s chassis forum thats kinda what im looking for.. im just not sure if i should get a sort of shitty sr20 or a nicer ka and still have about a thousand dollars left over btw i have about 5k so suggest away! oh and yes i do want something fast so dont recommend a N/A KA if i get a KA its going to be boosted...
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2014, 04:05 PM   #2
DJ 21o3
Zilvia Junkie

DJ 21o3 is an unknown quantity at this point
How much experience do you have with cars? Do you have a steady income for parts? Do you have access to another vehicle to daily drive when the 240 inevitably breaks down?

I always tell my friends to avoid 240's unless they are dead set on a project car simply due to age.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:08 PM   #3
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Rustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Whats your mechanical ability? Its unlikely you will find a sr20 swapped chassis or boosted ka in your price range that isn't a hacked together money pit. Even a stock 240 is going to require a good bit of maintenance just due to the age of the car.

Honest opinion, don't get a 240. If you save a little more you can get something much newer and nicer like a 350z, base boxster, rx8, is300, etc.

If your dead set on a 240 the best option would be to buy a clean stockish car and throw a decent set of coilovers and some battles on it. Boom! good looking car that you'll be proud to drive and should be reasonably reliable. You can always do a swap or add a turbo down the line. Your daily driver should never be a project. Only do a swap or buy someone's project when you have reliable daily and keep the 240 as a "fun" car.

Edit: DJ 21o3 beat me to it.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #4
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
what is up with all these "help me decide how to spend my money" threads lately?

DO RESEARCH. MAKE UP YOUR OWN DAMN MIND.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:29 PM   #5
LockOn!
Zilvia FREAK!

LockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her self
Without them how are people supposed to find out what to do to look cool for all their friends and instragram followers?????!?!?!

fucking kill me
Old 10-14-2014, 04:45 PM   #6
tyson2699

My mechanical ability aswell as tool availability is not the problem i just kinda need to know what to keep my eye out for
Old 10-14-2014, 04:57 PM   #7
silviasandbeer
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
silviasandbeer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
keep an eye out for a cliff to jump off of.

this topic has been discused to death, multiple times
get something reliable, cheap to maintain and good MPG, then get your fun car

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
I'm not kingtalon crazy, but I have standards
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
What age is appropriate to give your kids the sex talk? Is 3 too soon?
Old 10-14-2014, 05:08 PM   #8
tyson2699

Look I didn't join zilviz because I'm a coin collector I joined because I'm a car enthusiaste so I'm not going to go buy a 03' camry
Old 10-14-2014, 05:30 PM   #9
bluz370
Zilvia Junkie

bluz370 is an unknown quantity at this point
I would say 75-80% of the people on zilvia joined because they were looking for a first car like you, and/or they bought said car and it broke.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:01 PM   #10
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Quote:
Originally Posted by deolio View Post
what is up with all these "help me decide how to spend my money" threads lately?

DO RESEARCH. MAKE UP YOUR OWN DAMN MIND.
This. x1000. Somebody lock this crap up. We don't go for this shit on Zilvia.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:28 PM   #11
motoman159
Zilvia Member

motoman159 is an unknown quantity at this point
whats it going to hurt, hes asking a question, 90% of people came to this site with a question.
hey dude, here's my suggestion. Buy a clean, stockish car with a nice ka and a 5 speed, learn it inside and out and learn to control it, (You'll get yourself in some deep sh*t if you go for big power right away)learn to work on it, etc. While doing this, save up some money, then go sr or turbo. good luck man!
Old 10-14-2014, 06:32 PM   #12
tyson2699

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman159 View Post
whats it going to hurt, hes asking a question, 90% of people came to this site with a question.
hey dude, here's my suggestion. Buy a clean, stockish car with a nice ka and a 5 speed, learn it inside and out and learn to control it, (You'll get yourself in some deep sh*t if you go for big power right away)learn to work on it, etc. While doing this, save up some money, then go sr or turbo. good luck man!
Wow thanks actually, I think that is what I will do [emoji4]
Old 10-14-2014, 06:35 PM   #13
cured13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
cured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
can't go wrong with VOLVO,

practice at night on abandoned parking lot or airport
Old 10-14-2014, 06:44 PM   #14
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
gonna go ahead and lock this now before it turns into exactly what every other "should i buy a 240?" thread does

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
Closed Thread