Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

View Poll Results: How ready would you be to swap in a VQ if more information was public, and cheap kits
I would sell my (SR, RB, KA-T) to make it happen ASAP 49 32.03%
I would wait till the economy starts to rise again 17 11.11%
I would weigh the costs vs the risks of having an illegal motor 18 11.76%
I still would not care about swapping a VQ 40 26.14%
I plan on getting a VQ powered car anyways 29 18.95%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
Yet Another VQ30/35 Swap interest thread

Before I really invest money and make a solid business plan I want to know a few things. If the mounts were available to install a VQ30 or VQ35DE into your 240sx and the wiring information was readily available would you purchase it? No core charge, no k-member exchange, using factory motor mount bushings that you can buy at nissan with out having to wait for over seas shipping and a reliable source of information. With prices of good KA's on the rise and SR20DET's are illegal (not interested if your state doesn't care, it is a federal illegal motor) and people getting popped left and right. And If you guys can post any feed back I would really appreciate it. With the prices of VQ just dropping like the stock market and the cost of KA's just doing nothing but rising. If costs are not a factor, then what is ?
Old 02-20-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Would having the VQ in my 95 S14 (OBD I) be illegal?

I would have to wait for the economy to turn around and see the feasiblity to pull of such a swap.

I'm sure the physical labor would not be difficult, but wiring would be my main concern outside of initial cost.

real off-topic: is that your g/f in your avatar ?
Old 02-20-2009, 12:53 PM   #3
R@ddy
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (32)
R@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleS14 View Post

lmao
http://zilvia.net/f/media-forum-pict...oxxybabee.html

^^click it
R@ddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
irax
Post Whore!

irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Quote:
Would having the VQ in my 95 S14 (OBD I) be illegal?
It really depends on how you go about it. Yes it can be illegal if you do not swap over simple emissions equipment. Under the California A.R.B. mandates you can swap in a newer motor into an older car if you retain the newer emissions. I do not know about other states, but in the automotive industry its like this. And I am putting it very simply, If it is legal in California it is federal legal (aka 50 state legal). If it is Federal Legal it does not mean it is California legal(aka 49 state legal). This only applies to passenger cars though.

Quote:
I would have to wait for the economy to turn around and see the feasiblity to pull of such a swap.
That is part of my concern, I want to know how much of a production I should do initially.

Quote:
I'm sure the physical labor would not be difficult, but wiring would be my main concern outside of initial cost.
Well, I have a good guy that will be figuring the easist way to do it. But honestly if S30 chassis owners can do a vq swap with all the factory wiring, are we just that dumb and lazy? A big problem though is that the wiring pretty much changed from year to year and model to model. But once we have more people doing this there will be more shared information.

Quote:
I wish I was old enough to date 16 yearolds. No she isn't
Old 02-20-2009, 12:57 PM   #5
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
I plan on putting a VQ in my car eventually. But with the economy being so rough right now (aka I don't have a full time job) then I don't think it's going to happen real soon. It will, just not soon.

So I'd totally be down for a quality kit, even if it costs a bit.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by irax View Post
Well, I have a good guy that will be figuring the easist way to do it. But honestly if S30 chassis owners can do a vq swap with all the factory wiring, are we just that dumb and lazy? A big problem though is that the wiring pretty much changed from year to year and model to model. But once we have more people doing this there will be more shared information.

I wish I was old enough to date 16 yearolds. No she isn't
IDK if you can compare a S13/S14 chassis to a S30 chassis. I'm going to go with the assumption that the wiring diagram for a S30 chassis is "simple" in comparison to a S13/S14.

As for the avatar lol I had no clue

What VQ do most people consider? The 03-06 VQ from the 350Z/G35 ?

I wish I can have a VQ35HR in my S14
Old 02-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
irax
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
I plan on putting a VQ in my car eventually. But with the economy being so rough right now (aka I don't have a full time job) then I don't think it's going to happen real soon. It will, just not soon.

So I'd totally be down for a quality kit, even if it costs a bit.
How much could you budget for that swap? If I told you that the FWD VQ could be had for half as much as taking your KA to the shop to get rebuilt? I am talking ~$900 for a motor set. And that is ebay, you could get it from your local yard for a lot cheaper.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:11 PM   #8
irax
Post Whore!

Quote:
IDK if you can compare a S13/S14 chassis to a S30 chassis. I'm going to go with the assumption that the wiring diagram for a S30 chassis is "simple" in comparison to a S13/S14.
It may be simple, but these guys make whole new wiring harness for their car. I can't fathom that being a simpler task than mating two wiring harness.
Quote:
What VQ do most people consider? The 03-06 VQ from the 350Z/G35 ?
Fitting a first gen 3.5 from 02-05 VQ probably would be best overall since they are a lot cheaper. And with simple LEGAL mods can make good power.
Quote:
I wish I can have a VQ35HR in my S14
Well I know some one that is going to be offering an HR kit shortly... if I don't beat them to it *wink wink* Though an HR can be had for the price of an SR front clip shipped so it really is not all that expensive. And considering the things you would need to get HR performance you would still come out ahead by going HR over SR (red top)
Old 02-20-2009, 01:52 PM   #9
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

Quote:
Well I know some one that is going to be offering an HR kit shortly... if I don't beat them to it *wink wink* Though an HR can be had for the price of an SR front clip shipped so it really is not all that expensive. And considering the things you would need to get HR performance you would still come out ahead by going HR over SR (red top)

Has this been done before? Got pics?

Also in your previous post you speak of the FWD VQ (ala Maxima)...how the heck can that fit into a S-chassis? I thought the motor mounting points and the bellhousing position is different.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:00 PM   #10
irax
Post Whore!

the motor mounts are in a different location, and i will be offereing a kit for the FWD engines. the bellhousing position is the same. And it has been done before go on youtube and type in 240sx vq35de. You would use a 350z transmission and upper and lower oilpans.

YouTube - VQ35DE 350Z Motor HIGH COMPRESSION in 1989 240SX Coupe

that one is a Frankenstein vq using the maxima block

YouTube - vq35de 240sx twin turbo

that one is also a maxima block using stock ecus and dbw and is twin turbo

YouTube - 240Z w/ VQ Accel.

and this one is a VQ35DE revup installed into a 240Z using all the factory electronics from a 350z.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:21 PM   #11
BRAIN_Z33
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
BRAIN_Z33 is close to perfectionBRAIN_Z33 is close to perfectionBRAIN_Z33 is close to perfectionBRAIN_Z33 is close to perfectionBRAIN_Z33 is close to perfectionBRAIN_Z33 is close to perfectionBRAIN_Z33 is close to perfectionBRAIN_Z33 is close to perfectionBRAIN_Z33 is close to perfectionBRAIN_Z33 is close to perfectionBRAIN_Z33 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
you guys should check this shit out:

www.vq240z.com - Twistedsixx

also this bad boy:

Project VQ is Underway! - HybridZ

I soooooo wana get an S30. But forget all that restoration part, no time & money
BRAIN_Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:28 PM   #12
aoiken3
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
aoiken3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
i'd keep my 240 the way it is and get a 350z or a g37 in the future when i can afford 1. vq swap is a great thing imo, but im fine w/ wat i got
Old 02-20-2009, 02:33 PM   #13
cemtoes
Zilvia Junkie

cemtoes is an unknown quantity at this point
www.vqswap.com

A buddy of mine is in the middle of VQ'ing his coupe. It's coming along pretty good
I have some pictures on my phone I think, I'll have to look.

I say do it as long as you have money and knowledge to complete it.
cemtoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:36 PM   #14
rb25crazy
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (14)
rb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
if it can be done for under 5k i'd do it =D. considering the motors are relatively new not much should need to be done to it unless it has high mileage or messed up in some way. wiring is pretty crazy though i remember reading bout that guys wiring thing on 240sx.org that guy made like a 100 page thread or something lol.
rb25crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #15
mrflip69
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (19)
mrflip69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
But honestly if S30 chassis owners can do a vq swap with all the factory wiring, are we just that dumb and lazy?
YES!

hahaha.

I've been following those S30 builds on hybridz too... sick shit. You see the one where the dude swapped in the 350z interior too? He kept it working with stock electronics... auto too heh. Engine sits behind the front axles too, IIRC.

So many engines can be swapped and legal, but majority of S-chassis owners choose not to do so because KA-T, SR, CA, RB.... they're just that much easier to put in and be done with. And again... lazy more than dumb.

I've been entertaining the idea of a smog legal swap for a while. 2JZ and VG30 are some possibilities, as are any LSx series.

It's fucking stupid because quite a number of Rx-7, Honda, and Datsun guys have done it legit (engine swaps). I'm probably going to look for some help from the hybridz guys to get a VQ in. It doesn't look like the vqswap guys can do stock electronics, and they've had a couple complaints in the customer service dept.

If you're going to do this, hopefully you can keep the stock hood--or just have the hood bracing trimmed. I saw another VQ swapped in an S13 and the guy had a blower sticking out of his hood.

What's the difference between a FWD and RWD block, in terms of putting power down (dyno)?
mrflip69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:38 PM   #16
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Bigest issue I see with the VQ swaps on the market now (FWD and RWD) is the quality of the kit. Mainly the harness work. Some of the mount kits suck also. But, if you can get a good plug n play harness service going. I think there is money to be made.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:35 PM   #17
Rittmeister
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
Rittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really nice
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I'd do it, with a plug-and-play option as mentioned above. One that works with the stock gauges, etc, or at least makes it fairly simple to function with them.

OTOH, I'm currently upgrading the turbo on my SR, so this would be a minimum of 18-24 months away for me anyway...
Old 02-20-2009, 10:00 PM   #18
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
That's true, I guess you could mount up the FWD VQ just as well. It wasn't really in my mind because I've always heard that the RWD VQ is easier to mount and makes more power.

I just haven't wanted to deal with the oil pan/starter swapping and all that. But if the mounting kit was for FWD, then I might consider it.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:07 PM   #19
irax
Post Whore!

The thing about VQswap.com's kit is the quality of kit, and lack of support. And as far as information goes it is all scattered across the internet. On my website I will be offering a simple but very quality kit and have a forum for people to share information. And right now there is only 1 kit being offered, and that is VQswaps kits.

the FWD and RWD VQ blocks the first gen which are 02-04 dyno for about the same
First Gen VQ35 blocks have single valve timing on the intake side
Second Gen VQ35 blocks have valve timing on intake and exhaust
Third gen vq35 blocks are same as above but have dual throttle bodies

First gen 35's should make about 230hp to the wheels
Second Gen 35's should make about 260hp to the wheels
third gen 35's should make about 290hp to the wheels

now all that is just rough numbers since there are a lot of dyno information out there.

The only real difference between first gen and second is the heads, cams, and timing cover. You can actually make a first gen into a second gen. Second gen ecu's are more tuneable and from the factory they come with wideband rear o2 sensors.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:11 PM   #20
irax
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb25crazy View Post
if it can be done for under 5k i'd do it =D. considering the motors are relatively new not much should need to be done to it unless it has high mileage or messed up in some way. wiring is pretty crazy though i remember reading bout that guys wiring thing on 240sx.org that guy made like a 100 page thread or something lol.
well right now my investment into my own swap is at 4.8k but if i started now and not 2+ years ago I would only be at 2.5k soo you can have it running for about 5k including paying someone else for labor and wiring which isn't that bad.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:37 AM   #21
rb25crazy
Zilvia FREAK!

rb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
Bigest issue I see with the VQ swaps on the market now (FWD and RWD) is the quality of the kit. Mainly the harness work. Some of the mount kits suck also. But, if you can get a good plug n play harness service going. I think there is money to be made.
what he said i'd pay to to get my thing wired up with a plug n play harness. i have an extra ka engine harness so whenever i do a swap i can still drive my car n send the harness to whomever and get it done get it back plug everythign in in a day or two and go drive it =D.

irax, make the harness do it do it do it!

and then a street legal car no more cops pulling me over for nothing! and when they do sooooooooo what nothing to fear =D

2500 for a complete legal swap..... damn i'm sold.

Last edited by rb25crazy; 02-21-2009 at 12:39 AM.. Reason: forgot something.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:03 AM   #22
Gorilla Unit 33
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
Gorilla Unit 33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
yeah think its the wiring b/s that scares most people, including myself away from this swap. I thought the same thing, like wow Vq35 swap is different and its not common at all let me do that. Then i heard about the wiring nightmares that people have. I also heard some people have trouble by passing the ignition security and what not due to the 350z keys were chipped or something like that. Not to mention every VQ swapped still with facory ecu couldnt make the factory hp numbers they could make in a 350z due to the problems there having with wiring and the secured ecu. By the time i was done with the idea of using stock ecu, you start doing the numbers for a stand alone and tune and it just gets ridiculous. When it comes to the legality of the motor swap, im not on the west coast or cali in general, so wether or not it passes emissions really doesnt matter to me lol.

Now if all of them problems were put aside and you could guarantee a swappable Vq35 mount kit with harness and with the ability to use stock ecu i think people would do it more often and the VQ will be the next cookie cutter engine swap in every 240sx you see instead of an SR or the next in line KA. I mean every so often you see people selling good low mileage 2nd gen motors for $800-$1100, thats not bad at all! there for people could peice together swaps for chump change compared to an RB25 swap cost.
Gorilla Unit 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:09 AM   #23
JRas
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
JRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JRas
I plan on doing the swap one day, but it's the wiring that scares me.

plug and play harness, please
Old 02-21-2009, 01:40 AM   #24
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
I would really like to get this swap into a daily s13 or s14, but would like it to be completely CARB legal. Would be nice to have the wiring plug and play, but wouldn't be a deal breaker as long as a standalone wouldn't be required to run the damn thing and could actually SMOG it.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:36 AM   #25
irax
Post Whore!

I really doubt I can make a plug and play harness adapter affordable. Because I would have to offer something for every ecu/harness combination and that would suck.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:50 AM   #26
irax
Post Whore!

I was also thinking about tapping into the goverment grants for the Green Initiative to fund some Carb legal 240sx swap headers because not only does it get better MPG than a KA it also produces less emissions.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:25 AM   #27
jserman
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
jserman is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Would love to do a VQ swap... I miss my G... I love the NA power of the small V6....would be so much fun in a S13
jserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #28
rb25crazy
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
I really doubt I can make a plug and play harness adapter affordable. Because I would have to offer something for every ecu/harness combination and that would suck.
what's affordable? like $400 for the plug n play wiring harness? that's a price i'd be willing to pay. since, i wouldn't wanna spend like a month trying to figure it out.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:42 AM   #29
irax
Post Whore!

I thought you meant like an adapter. But a harness can be done for about $500. But when VQ666 is ready for a hard launch all the information will be free so you can do it your self or we will have a harness exchange option for particular ECUs.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:44 AM   #30
rb25crazy
Zilvia FREAK!

whats the difference between an adapter and the wiring harness? it's not the same thing?