Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:41 PM   #811
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
Carefuk about running tires down until they explode. Wouldn't want to damage your car because the thread slaps the car or damage your wheel.
happened to my friends shitty daily while he was driving to my house
flared his fender nice and pretty
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #812
Z33dori
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
Z33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
im still stuck on trying to figure out when front grip is too much.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:03 AM   #813
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z33dori View Post
im still stuck on trying to figure out when front grip is too much.
I think it's different for every driver. Mine would be when you are on your line, full throttle, full angle, and your rear rotates over into a spin. The perfect drift specs in my opinion is when you are at the complete lock under full acceleration in the highest speed of the track. I don't know. I guess I would rather fight the throttle than fight the steering.
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:48 PM   #814
word sux
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
word sux is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I work at a place that does allot of tires so i get some good takeoffs. I have like 26 decent tires right now behind my shed and all of them were free.

I use good tires on the front since they don't wear that fast and I like allot of grip up front. All the events around here usually have a free tire machine so its worth it. I save $100 - 200 dollars on tires per event by using used tires. Very worth it when your poor.
word sux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:15 PM   #815
One_love_silvia
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (38)
One_love_silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
i was told to post these here... so here you go lol

Braking/Drifting: Braking Drift Technique

this link leads you to brake drifting, but u can then click the other links at the bottom for other drifting techniques.

i also have this link, if you need them described in a different way, or if u need a short and sweet description.

Drift Session -- Drifting Techniques
Old 07-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #816
Driftius_Maximus

Driftius_Maximus is an unknown quantity at this point
The cars power definitely has a lot to do with how to drift your car. I have a slightly modded S14 sr and I never touch my e.brake and rarely have to clutch kick. I typically feint into a drift and then feather the throttle accordingly. Only time I clutch kick is when the car has lost momentum usually through tight transitions. To transition while still with some good speed I just release the throttle. The car will transition its self. I'm not against e brake entries or clutch kick entries, they just don't feel natural to me.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #817
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
I suggest practicing various types of entry techniques. You can only advance so far with one particular style.

Different tracks/corners require different types of styles.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:29 PM   #818
bataangpinoy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
bataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
im sorry if this has been covered before, but im trying to adjust my ebrake to get it to lock up half decent. ive read that new cables are a must, but what else would you guys recommend?
bataangpinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:24 PM   #819
word sux
Zilvia FREAK!

adjust it so theres little to no play in the handle

get some project mu rear pads.

unless your cables are so worn that you can't adjust the slack out of your handle then getting new cables is a waste of money.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:30 AM   #820
towlie
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (11)
towlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Just tighten the shit outta that bolt under the handle (10 or 8mm iirc) until it's stiff as you desire

Save the money for tires lol

Last edited by towlie; 07-24-2011 at 08:10 AM..
towlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:14 AM   #821
One_love_silvia
Nissanaholic!

sooooooooo i need some help gais.

basic run down of my car mods so far:
DF motor mounts
cusco cf rear strut
aem intake
hks hi power exhaust
q45 front brakes
misc poly urethane bushing
kaaz 2 way lsd
stock suspension
stock ka24de engine

basically, with my new 2 way, im having problem breaking traction and locking up my diff. ive used multiple drift techniques. or atleast attempted to.

e brake- it works, and i can drift with it, but i dont like how unpredictable it is. sometimes it slides me out too much. and while i know that that is also partially my lack of skill with it, i just down right dont like how unpredictable it is.

clutch kick
- works fine as well. however, im trying not to beat the shit out of my clutch too much if its avoidable. also recently, i seem to be having a problem with over gassing the car right after clutch kicking, making my angle too much and shortening my drift. in this case, i think i just need to maybe countersteer a little more to make up for the extra gas at the beginning of the drift.

i seem to naturally countersteer tho. whenever i do it, it sorta just happens. i dont think about it when i do it, so its hard to remember to countersteer more. again, this will just take some practice to get right, but like i said i would like to avoid beating up the clutch if possible.

power over: idk if its due to my shitty stock suspension (obviously due to weak ass motor tho), but i cant seem to power through a turn and enter a drift doing so. it just ends up resulting in understeer

feint: pretty much same as power over. idk if im just not feinting hard enough, but i just cant break it loose doing this.

braking drift: my first (kinda) attempt was gunna be tnite....but i ended up heel toe-ing before the turn started. my reflexes took over and i instinctively down shifted before the turn started lol. ive been heel toeing every turn for the past 10k+ miles in my car, so it is kind of just an automatic thing for me i guess.

again this will just take more practice and mental preparation as with other techniques.

i guess what im asking is... is there a way for me to fix any of the problems ive given above with my current set up? is there a way to make powering through a drift or feinting work without causing understeer?
and with the clutch kick technique, should i just focus on thinking about countersteering more after initiating? or should i lighten up on the throttle when initiating? i just feels like i wont lose grip if i dont push it hard enough.

im starting to feel like im being caged and restricted by my car... it started a few months ago, and thats when i realized i had to get rid of the shitty open diff, and get a 2 way.
now that i have a 2 way, im starting to feel the cars power being too weak for me, and the suspension is too sloppy/loose. im going to start saving for my coils soon, i just have a little bit of other shit i have to take care of first. its hard to build a car with quality parts when ur only a pizza delivery driver lol. but im being patient and saving up slowly for each part i buy. and i hope that it will all pay off when its all said and done.

thanks for reading my essay and please help if u can
Old 07-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #822
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
With a fresh 2 way LSD, you should have NO problems breaking traction.

I think all you really need is more experience and practice. As you do it more and more, you will learn how the car reacts and how to manipulate it to your desires.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #823
towlie
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (11)
towlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Get coils next, they will help your driving

The key to drivin a weak KA is if your not scared your doing it wrong lol
towlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:32 PM   #824
Brian
Post Whore!

Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Yeah, as far as I'm concerned, if you aren't driving your KA 240 at 110%, you are going to lose.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:22 PM   #825
One_love_silvia
Nissanaholic!

so what u guys are sayin is i shud just come in faster? and i bought the diff with 300 miles on it btw. so its new, just not brand new lol
Old 07-25-2011, 03:48 PM   #826
Z33dori
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
Z33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
KA-rry speed lol
Old 07-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #827
word sux
Zilvia FREAK!

welded is the way to go on stock power
Old 07-26-2011, 03:05 AM   #828
One_love_silvia
Nissanaholic!

^ ew no thanks lol. well i think ive perfected drifting in a circle. i was able to feel wen it needed more gas and when to change the steering.

i also properly performed a braking drift tnite. i didnt exactly drift all the way, but i executed the technique correctly. i think i need to come in faster, gas it harder, and turn in harder.

practice makes perfect tho :>
Old 07-26-2011, 04:45 AM   #829
word sux
Zilvia FREAK!

well the if you just welded it instead of doing a clutch type you could have coilovers. but who am I to say...
Old 07-26-2011, 09:55 AM   #830
Brian
Post Whore!

You did the right thing by getting a real differential. practice makes perfect. That's all there is to it. Once you get some coilovers, you'll notice things get easier as well.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #831
ILoveMyRHS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
ILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ILoveMyRHS13
Quote:
Originally Posted by One_love_silvia View Post
so what u guys are sayin is i shud just come in faster? and i bought the diff with 300 miles on it btw. so its new, just not brand new lol
Faster faster faster faster faster and keep the gas pedal on the floor. I enter in the top of 2nd and sometimes that isn't enough. I need to practice 3rd gear entries but it's hard without a good ebrake.
ILoveMyRHS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:51 AM   #832
revcyanide
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
revcyanide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I drift my stock KA, welded diff, coils and thats about it (intake exhaust blah blah blah.

sorry for the awful kit/color, that is actually changing this very moment.
anyway i hold pretty long drifts and still have speed to finish the track. and make a decent amount of smoke for a stock engine
pic

What i do is ALWAYS enter the first turn in 3rd gear, sometimes i have to launch like im drag racing to have enough speed. helps that i used to go to the dragstrip a lot with my dad.

but dont be scared of speed (if you are on a track) im still learning a lot.
but pretty much
enter top of 3rd.
Ebrake HARD
countersteer and throttle and clutch kick like a motherfucker the whole way through
revcyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #833
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
You did the right thing by getting a real differential. practice makes perfect. That's all there is to it. Once you get some coilovers, you'll notice things get easier as well.
as much as brian is right, I have noticed a big difference between a real diff, and a welded diff on a KA. It almost seems like you need power to have that diff lock up. Which you would either have to drive really hard, or get a welded.

I've driven a KA for a few years on a welded. Never had any issues, just don't drive like a retard normally.
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #834
One_love_silvia
Nissanaholic!

thanks for all the help guys
ya i basically got a 2way becuz i wanted to do it right the first time. plus i only got it for 600 so i wuda still had to save another 6 bills for coils XD

its definitely going to take sometime to get used to and to learn how to use it properly. but wheres the fun if theres no challege? amirite? :P
Old 07-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #835
Brian
Post Whore!

I guess it depends on the diff as well.

My Cusco in my S14 locked super hard, super fast.
The Nismo in my s13 was less aggressive.

With the e-brake you mentioned earlier... Once you use it a lot, you will understand that it's really neat for adjusting where your car goes and how it slides. It seems unpredictable at first, but give it more and more time and you will be able to guide the car wherever you want with the hand brake.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #836
nismobenzo
Zilvia Junkie

nismobenzo is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftius_Maximus View Post
The cars power definitely has a lot to do with how to drift your car. I have a slightly modded S14 sr and I never touch my e.brake and rarely have to clutch kick. I typically feint into a drift and then feather the throttle accordingly. Only time I clutch kick is when the car has lost momentum usually through tight transitions. To transition while still with some good speed I just release the throttle. The car will transition its self. I'm not against e brake entries or clutch kick entries, they just don't feel natural to me.
yeah and you suck ass so maybe you should try some new techniques
the pros dont just use one technique
Old 07-27-2011, 01:17 PM   #837
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Too many people rely on power alone to help them drift.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:08 PM   #838
word sux
Zilvia FREAK!

I used to be mister clutch kick but now that I am driving faster more technical courses I have been using allot more hand brake and even left foot braking. The hand brake is such a useful tool for scrubbing speed and extending your drift. You can do anything from giving it a quick yank to get a little more angle and scrub speed or drag it to slow your wheel speed down. My e brake has become one of my favorite weapons in my arsenel.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #839
SlideOrDie831
Zilvia Member

SlideOrDie831 is an unknown quantity at this point
long slide...speed N e-brake.
SlideOrDie831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:24 PM   #840
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via MSN to ericcastro Send a message via Yahoo to ericcastro
Quote:
Originally Posted by fckillerbee View Post
as much as brian is right, I have noticed a big difference between a real diff, and a welded diff on a KA. It almost seems like you need power to have that diff lock up. Which you would either have to drive really hard, or get a welded.

I've driven a KA for a few years on a welded. Never had any issues, just don't drive like a retard normally.
exactly what i say in every thread.
A KA is easier with a welded, and since you never are going that fast and are always full throttle, you dont need it to unlock to get traction and slow down.

When you get real HP, get a real Diff with it
ericcastro is offline   Reply With Quote