Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-24-2008, 10:07 PM   #1231
rightcoastimports
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
rightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

quick question/complaint... my car takes bumps horribly.. does everyone have this issue with 240's?? i'm on ksport coilovers with 225/35/19 front and 265/30/19 out back.. i understand with that low of a profile and coilovers it isnt going to ride great but my spec v is so much smoother on the same coilovers and 18's... its just been annoying me lately. plus the roads suck around here.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2008, 10:08 PM   #1232
silviaguy240
Post Whore!

silviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfection
ksport + 19's = your problem
Old 04-24-2008, 10:10 PM   #1233
rightcoastimports
Zilvia Addict

rightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaguy240 View Post
ksport + 19's = your problem

more expensive coilovers really going to make a huge difference.. even with the same spring rates??
Old 04-24-2008, 10:12 PM   #1234
silviaguy240
Post Whore!

silviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfection
not huge, but noticable. any car is gonna ride rough with coils, and especially when you have no side wall.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:15 PM   #1235
rightcoastimports
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaguy240 View Post
not huge, but noticable. any car is gonna ride rough with coils, and especially when you have no side wall.
True.. its just something we have to deal with. I had 18's before and it felt the same.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:18 PM   #1236
kevtrinh
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
kevtrinh has a reputation beyond reputekevtrinh has a reputation beyond reputekevtrinh has a reputation beyond reputekevtrinh has a reputation beyond reputekevtrinh has a reputation beyond reputekevtrinh has a reputation beyond reputekevtrinh has a reputation beyond reputekevtrinh has a reputation beyond reputekevtrinh has a reputation beyond reputekevtrinh has a reputation beyond reputekevtrinh has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightcoastimports View Post
more expensive coilovers really going to make a huge difference.. even with the same spring rates??
YES...not only more expensive ones usually have better damping

they also have better built springs.

this is mine....black car btw
17x10 +15 Rear
17x9 +20 Front
Rolled in the rear
Hammered like a frat bro in the Front

kevtrinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:29 PM   #1237
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
idahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to idahotuner Send a message via MSN to idahotuner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyRHS13 View Post
1) Put coilovers on.
2) Set the car on the ground for few days to let the coilovers set.
3) Take baseball bat, cut skinny part off of bat.
4) Stick the baseball bat in the well and have someone push the car.
5) As the car is being pushed, push the bat down as much as you can to increase roll/pull.
6) Do this several times until you get your desired pull.
7) Slam the coilovers, then post pictures in this thread... If they're good enough.

thanks man.. so do you use the skiny part or the fat part.

i allready stated the fenders are rolled. they just need pulled

i was hoping to get that part of the the way so i could paint the car. but i guess i will get everything else prepped and thne leave painting until i can do this part. .
my dad is a perfectionist so it will turn out good

waiting for PBM coils and rucas
idahotuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:51 PM   #1238
markyboi
Zilvia FREAK!

markyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to behold
the fat part
markyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:00 AM   #1239
J ROK
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
J ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How would 18X10 225/40/18 -3.0 camber up front feel? cause under? or still good grip?
Old 04-25-2008, 12:44 AM   #1240
1985zcar
Zilvia Member

1985zcar is making a name for him/her self1985zcar is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to 1985zcar
That's about what I'm running...18x10 +5 with -2.5 degrees on a 225...feels fine, but I don't do any extremely hard driving.
1985zcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:34 AM   #1241
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
K-Sports come with higher spring rates than most coils = not good for street.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:36 AM   #1242
Z33dori
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
Z33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
it's not the spring rates ....its the shitty dampening
Old 04-25-2008, 07:38 AM   #1243
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
The dampening has more to do with the rebound not feeling every bump.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:21 AM   #1244
axiomatik
Post Whore!

axiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfection
The issues is cheap coilovers + heavy wheels + really short sidewalls + old floppy chassis.

Cheap coilovers will not damp the bumps as well. Heavier wheels will transmit more motion to the chassis than lighter wheels. Really short sidewalls absorb less impact than taller sidewalls. Old floppy chassis means more of the impact motion gets transmitted to you rather than being absorbed by the suspension. Your Sentra probably has a much stiffer chassis, so it absorbs the bumps much more smoothly. Invest in some seam welding/chassis foaming/chassis bracing.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:24 AM   #1245
Z33dori
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
Z33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
wow thats puts everything into perspective.

I never thought about chassis strength being an additional factor.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:42 AM   #1246
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
The dampening has more to do with the rebound not feeling every bump.
Usually all the "JDM" coilovers have a really high compression rate on their damping, with relatively low rebound rates.

Rebound controls the damper's rate of expansion, like after you hit a bump.

Compression is what controls the dampers rate of being compressed, which is usually when you first HIT the bump.

Most "JDM" coilovers are underdamped for the spring rates that they come with, thus bouncy and harsh feeling, as the spring's inertia isn't controlled by the damper.

How does that translate to real world experience?

I have Stance GR+ coilovers on my S13, and I have had them on for a year and a half, and have the 9/7 springs on there.

There is a paved section on a road nearby my house, and it's not smoothed out to create a seamless transition, so it's actually a pretty rough bump. For the last 3 months, I've hit it and felt the jarring effects, and hated it.

Upon reading more about suspension and damping effects, I decided to do the opposite of what the normal person would do, which is to turn the damping UP on my coilovers, 1 click on each corner.

Now, not only is it much SMOOTHER when I hit that bump, the car is much more composed AFTER it hits the bump, as the bump is now being absorbed by the dampers doing their job.

I've felt D2s, which are the exact same thing as K-Sport coilovers, with 9/7 springs on them and the dampers turned all the way to stiff before, and it was horrible compared to my Stance, which are still not top shelf stuff. The D2 and K-Sport were very bouncy, very under damped in the high speed damping section. Low speed damping felt OK, but the road was smooth and we were on a couple of sweeping left/right handers, so couldn't really judge if it was just the spring rate controlling the body roll or if the dampers did anything there, but the car did seem to settle down and not feel as bumpy as when the car was being drive at like 35mph and hitting bumps on the road.

So, to answer the dude with the 19 inch wheels that feels his car riding rough. Try to up the damping on the coilovers and see if you feel a difference.

PS - sorry for the novel.
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:56 AM   #1247
SlideAlliance
Zilvia Junkie

SlideAlliance has a reputation beyond reputeSlideAlliance has a reputation beyond reputeSlideAlliance has a reputation beyond reputeSlideAlliance has a reputation beyond reputeSlideAlliance has a reputation beyond reputeSlideAlliance has a reputation beyond reputeSlideAlliance has a reputation beyond reputeSlideAlliance has a reputation beyond reputeSlideAlliance has a reputation beyond reputeSlideAlliance has a reputation beyond reputeSlideAlliance has a reputation beyond repute

Battle Idol Works 2015
SlideAlliance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:12 PM   #1248
JVDSKYRINE
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
JVDSKYRINE is close to perfectionJVDSKYRINE is close to perfectionJVDSKYRINE is close to perfectionJVDSKYRINE is close to perfectionJVDSKYRINE is close to perfectionJVDSKYRINE is close to perfectionJVDSKYRINE is close to perfectionJVDSKYRINE is close to perfectionJVDSKYRINE is close to perfectionJVDSKYRINE is close to perfectionJVDSKYRINE is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by J ROK View Post
How would 18X10 225/40/18 -3.0 camber up front feel? cause under? or still good grip?
Dude I just bought some FUCA's for my skyline and set it to about -3 up front and i was amazed at how much smoother the car felt when sideways...It was like night and day how much more control I had...but that coulda also been because the old ones were 20 years old and it stiffened things up a little better in the front

Give it shot cuz 240's are easy to adjust anyways
JVDSKYRINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:03 PM   #1249
hotrodv
Zilvia Junkie

hotrodv is close to perfectionhotrodv is close to perfectionhotrodv is close to perfectionhotrodv is close to perfectionhotrodv is close to perfectionhotrodv is close to perfectionhotrodv is close to perfectionhotrodv is close to perfectionhotrodv is close to perfectionhotrodv is close to perfectionhotrodv is close to perfection

now they fit!
hotrodv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:27 PM   #1250
J ROK
Zilvia Member

J ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVDSKYRINE View Post
Dude I just bought some FUCA's for my skyline and set it to about -3 up front and i was amazed at how much smoother the car felt when sideways...It was like night and day how much more control I had...but that coulda also been because the old ones were 20 years old and it stiffened things up a little better in the front

Give it shot cuz 240's are easy to adjust anyways
what I'm more worried about is the amount of stretch and such neg. camber, when im at full lock am I gonna be hittin rim on the pavement?/maxing out the tires potential for grip? tire coming off the bead from going off track? these are the issues im worried about before I buy brand new tires.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:50 PM   #1251
backroadtouge
Zilvia Member

backroadtouge is a jewel in the roughbackroadtouge is a jewel in the roughbackroadtouge is a jewel in the roughbackroadtouge is a jewel in the roughbackroadtouge is a jewel in the roughbackroadtouge is a jewel in the roughbackroadtouge is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
what I'm more worried about is the amount of stretch and such neg. camber, when im at full lock am I gonna be hittin rim on the pavement?/maxing out the tires potential for grip? tire coming off the bead from going off track? these are the issues im worried about before I buy brand new tires.
rofl your not gonna die, its been done before. youll just be more worried about hitting the inside of your wheelwells.

お金も腕も、何も無い・
backroadtouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:45 PM   #1252
ILoveMyRHS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
ILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ILoveMyRHS13
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahotuner View Post
thanks man.. so do you use the skiny part or the fat part.

i allready stated the fenders are rolled. they just need pulled

i was hoping to get that part of the the way so i could paint the car. but i guess i will get everything else prepped and thne leave painting until i can do this part. .
my dad is a perfectionist so it will turn out good

waiting for PBM coils and rucas
We will be doing it with Didderson's car so I will take video!
ILoveMyRHS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:27 PM   #1253
mangoes
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
mangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
anyone have pic's of forrest wang's fitment? frickin nuts

Outside Family
mangoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:34 PM   #1254
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
idahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to idahotuner Send a message via MSN to idahotuner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyRHS13 View Post
We will be doing it with Didderson's car so I will take video!

sweet thanks man that will be awesome. i will do it when PBM get me my stuff.
idahotuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:50 PM   #1255
wanganwonder
Zilvia Addict

wanganwonder is a splendid one to beholdwanganwonder is a splendid one to beholdwanganwonder is a splendid one to beholdwanganwonder is a splendid one to beholdwanganwonder is a splendid one to beholdwanganwonder is a splendid one to beholdwanganwonder is a splendid one to beholdwanganwonder is a splendid one to beholdwanganwonder is a splendid one to beholdwanganwonder is a splendid one to beholdwanganwonder is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
i do it

tommy does it

it's fine

feels good

225 in front is money
wanganwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:41 AM   #1256
J ROK
Zilvia Member

^thats the answer I was looking for, thanks

And thank you Tommy Boy.

wheel fitment pics coming soon!!!!
Old 04-26-2008, 12:49 AM   #1257
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
My 17x9 +20 once again.

215/45's all around. Stock alignment specs.

Fronts rolled themselves after time.

Rear lips rolled flat.

Does the job for now.

They'll be gone by next month.

So happy.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.

Last edited by CrimsonRockett; 04-26-2008 at 09:42 AM..
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:12 AM   #1258
GabeS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
if its at night we will see some sparks and it'll be awesome!
Old 04-26-2008, 11:01 PM   #1259
k-os
Leaky Injector

k-os has a spectacular aura aboutk-os has a spectacular aura aboutk-os has a spectacular aura aboutk-os has a spectacular aura aboutk-os has a spectacular aura aboutk-os has a spectacular aura about
17 x 9 +12 Fn's all around (originally +20 but front were hitting coilovers so i threw on 8mm spacers all around)

im on 235/40/17 all around

front coilovers are maxxed they are older tein HA's i need new coilovers lol.

k-os is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:24 PM   #1260
ILoveMyRHS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
ILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ILoveMyRHS13
Okay, sorry if this is a noobish question but I have to ask it. I am looking at buying Diamond Racing Pro Series wheels for my S13. I have been looking at a 16x10 in the back with a 15x10 in the front but here lies the problem. In their catalog they have everything listed as "backspace" but it's in inches. I know that backspacing is offset but again, they confuse me because I'm not sure if the "backspace" is how far back the center sits from the OUTSIDE of the rim or the CENTER of the rim. Can anyone help?
ILoveMyRHS13 is offline   Reply With Quote