Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #31
aaronlosey
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
aaronlosey will become famous soon enoughaaronlosey will become famous soon enoughaaronlosey will become famous soon enoughaaronlosey will become famous soon enoughaaronlosey will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
A little video : )

Tyler Cox Not So Missile Car playing around at Round 1 2013 on Vimeo
aaronlosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #32
xoxide
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
xoxide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
That track looks really fun.
xoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #33
OutlawLui
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
OutlawLui is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
How did he die?
Old 04-09-2013, 10:58 PM   #34
aaronlosey
Zilvia Junkie

aaronlosey will become famous soon enoughaaronlosey will become famous soon enoughaaronlosey will become famous soon enoughaaronlosey will become famous soon enoughaaronlosey will become famous soon enough
The missile car was getting some action this weekend! I made contact no less than 5 or more times with other cars! It was a TROOPER! At the very end of the day after 105 + laps I thought it ran out of gas. After taking it home and filling it up, it still didn't run, and took me about 2 hours and a couple friendly phone calls to work through that it was a fuel pump line in the tank that fell off, and how to detach the stock fuel pump bracket from the tank. Unfortunately I had already filled the tank with gas!!!!!!! BLEH! Everything worked out great though, and the car is doing fantastic! It was a grip monster, and during one part of the day when I put on some new 265/35/18 Kendas with 20 PSI of pressure in them, I couldn't even tandem with people because Tyler's car was SOOOO much faster than all the other ones. By the end of the first corner I was passing people no matter how much I was holding back in tandem, and was having to bail from the runs. After I wore them down some I had way better luck and had the most AMAZING tandem action. Thanks to drivers such as Matt Bengston for so many amazing tandem runs! We had literally 40 tandem runs together!

Thanks to all the photographers that got sweet shots of the cars going around the track.

Thanks to all the awesome fans that made me feel special letting me take them for ride alongs, then posing for pics with the car and helping me mount tires, and friending me on facebook : )

Every event I take this car too I still have friends of Tyler's that tell me stories of when they got to take a ride along in this white car, and how it was special to them!
Old 04-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #35
Extreme Dimensions
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (9)
Extreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpanamajack View Post
How did he die?
+1 please shine some light on this please.
Extreme Dimensions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #36
mantas
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
mantas is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Dimensions View Post
+1 please shine some light on this please.
Yeah i was wondering the same.
mantas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #37
pigeon
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (9)
pigeon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I forget what year it was, but I saw the red s14 at Gateway in ST. Louis, it rained up there both days I think, it was either nopi or xdc I really can't remember who held the event.
Anyways I think he broke a trans or something because He had the car up in the air sitting on his spare wheels, using them as jack stands, I had never seen anyone do this before and thought it was the coolest idea ever. The aero, wing, wheels, and the sound of that thing was awesome. Deff one of my favorite cars up there that weekend.
Its really cool what your doing with this.
pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #38
OutlawLui
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
OutlawLui is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Rip though... Always sucks to lose someone
Old 04-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #39
aaronlosey
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeon View Post
I forget what year it was, but I saw the red s14 at Gateway in ST. Louis, it rained up there both days I think, it was either nopi or xdc I really can't remember who held the event.
Anyways I think he broke a trans or something because He had the car up in the air sitting on his spare wheels, using them as jack stands, I had never seen anyone do this before and thought it was the coolest idea ever. The aero, wing, wheels, and the sound of that thing was awesome. Deff one of my favorite cars up there that weekend.
Its really cool what your doing with this.
Tyler and I were both there for that on my 3 car trailer, it was a hell of a weekend! It rained for the qualifier day where the guys without licenses had to try out. We both didn't have to do that so we luckily drove on the dry days. Tyler blew a tranny and a friend of our from Traction Optional, Jerry, replaced it for him. Or maybe it was a clutch. Either way the tranny came out. That was Nopi 2008 I believe, an amazing event for us. I got to go on to drive against Kenji Yamanaka and Forrest Wang, and beat them all out to take the win that day and a giant check. Tyler got knocked out a bit earlier in the day, and to cheer him up I bought some hilarious 18x12 +0 wheels for him off Forrest the same day at the track with some of my winnings. Tyler tried for years to fit those on the car and never succeeded. I still have them. We went on to drive a whole season of Nopi together, which was a blast. When Nopi died, we moved onto the D1GP USA series, which was AMAZING!

As to the question of how he passed away, he was at a party and drank too much and passed out. No one noticed he vomited laying on his back, and he stopped breathing from a clogged airway. Let this be a lesson to everyone! I know a couple people this happened to, be careful people!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #40
mantas
Zilvia Addict

mantas is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronlosey View Post
Tyler and I were both there for that on my 3 car trailer, it was a hell of a weekend! It rained for the qualifier day where the guys without licenses had to try out. We both didn't have to do that so we luckily drove on the dry days. Tyler blew a tranny and a friend of our from Traction Optional, Jerry, replaced it for him. Or maybe it was a clutch. Either way the tranny came out. That was Nopi 2008 I believe, an amazing event for us. I got to go on to drive against Kenji Yamanaka and Forrest Wang, and beat them all out to take the win that day and a giant check. Tyler got knocked out a bit earlier in the day, and to cheer him up I bought some hilarious 18x12 +0 wheels for him off Forrest the same day at the track with some of my winnings. Tyler tried for years to fit those on the car and never succeeded. I still have them. We went on to drive a whole season of Nopi together, which was a blast. When Nopi died, we moved onto the D1GP USA series, which was AMAZING!

As to the question of how he passed away, he was at a party and drank too much and passed out. No one noticed he vomited laying on his back, and he stopped breathing from a clogged airway. Let this be a lesson to everyone! I know a couple people this happened to, be careful people!
That is a terrible way to go out. Seemed like a cool dude, and you seem like a good friend for keeping this build going. Keep up the good work.
mantas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #41
hypercrush
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
hypercrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
its really cool what youre doing Aaron, enjoying following along.

much <3 from us in AZ, come back and see us again soon

(this is Dylan btw, Stew's painter friend)
Old 04-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #42
aaronlosey
Zilvia Junkie

Howdy Dylan! Maybe I will get a chance to come out there and drive soon! Or at least at see you dudes at Allstarbash later in the year!
Old 04-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #43
aaronlosey
Zilvia Junkie

So on April 20th, 2013 we finally spread Tyler's ashes. I set up a memorial day with the help of his family at the Mineral Wells Airport. The purpose of the afternoon was to remember Tyler and spread his ashes, as well as bring his friends and family together for a small memorial service. Drifting seemed the most appropriate way to do these things, and with the blessing of his family I started the ball rolling. I felt a lot of pressure putting together this event, more than I typically do because I wanted to make it a special day for his family, and I had no idea how to properly make sure his family would be pleased with the results. After all, the Mineral Wells Airport isn't exactly the most prestigious looking environment for a ceremony. It is neither beautiful nor fancy. However it was a place that Tyler decided to come back to over and over again over the months and years. I would guess to say it was the one of his favorite places on earth, even though it isn't particularly special for any great reason. His early days there he was so excited to be there he had trouble sleeping the nights before in our hotel room. The parking lot represented complete freedom to do what we wanted in our cars. No track officials, no police, not much of anything most of the time. I venture to say for most people, there really aren't many places like this anywhere.

Tyler met so many friends out there. Stewart, Russell, myself, and many others. Friends that shared his odd passion for drifting, and let their lives revolve around their passion. Adventure friends, people that share in crazy trips across the country or even the world. People you love and hate by the minute as you blur the lines of what is acceptable at hour 40 of being awake on a road trip.

So the day finally arrived, and the weather was beautiful. I set the event up, fiddled with the course layout so it was fun, gentle on tires, even from left to right on wear. I carefully placed Tyler's 2 remaining drift cars in a small booth, complete with memorabilia from his life such as his helmet and race suit. A fully catered lunch for 200 arrived around noon and was fantastic. Then, at about 1 pm we held the ceremony. A few people talked about his life, a bunch of us cried, me included. I spoke at his funeral at length, and held my composure with a sober smile, but at his function I wasn't able to. I missed him. The memories of good times and bad times, guilt of when we were mad at each other, it was all too much. After a minute I was able to speak for a minute and explain what we were about to do, then I jumped in Tyler's old white S14 and Josh Buckley and Stewart Leask and I did some T Cox smokey burnouts and spread his ashes into the smoke. It was a bit awkward since I have never done anything quite like this, but I am pretty sure it is exactly what Tyler would have wanted. Will Parsons and I are actually planning on spreading a vial of Tyler into Saitos car as well, and I am pretty sure Tyler would have wanted that too.

I should also add that after all my preparations for the event, after just a few laps of playing around the fuel pump in Tyler's white car gave out while at full boost. It took out about 30% compression on cylinder 2 when it happened, and melted the plug. Not wanting to give up on the car for the day though, we stole Josh's fuel pump and with the help of Shaun got everything back together. The car was fantastic for the rest of the day, doing probably 50+ laps with his family and friends riding shot gun. Tyler's dad even took some laps on the skid pad learning to counter steer and clutch kick. I am very sure Tyler would have got a kick out of watching that. I am hoping his dad lets me teach him how to drift! I dropped off the car Monday night to Derrick to pull apart and I am about to order parts to put it back together. It is getting some really awesome parts, including higher comp pistons, an E85 tune, bigger injectors, and a GTX turbo. I REALLY REALLY REALLY like driving the white car, it is a blast.

Here is some video of the spreading of Tyler's ashes. Also, there will be vials of ashes to spread all over the world. Locations are:

Saitos SC300
Ebisu
Road Atlanta
Shreeveport drift event
All Star Bash
Lone Star Bash
Gateway International
Englishtown Raceway
A vial will be put into his cars, 1 each.
And his friends will be given a vial each and allowed to spread them wherever they think is fit.

Spreading ashes tcox style | Facebook

I am giving rides to Tyler's family in the pic. I am tandeming with Fielding in a borrowed R32 Skyline, with only 3.5 cylinders. I was still much faster : )

Old 04-24-2013, 02:39 AM   #44
fast250sx
Leaky Injector

fast250sx is an unknown quantity at this point
I think it's amazing what you are doing for him his family and his friends. Every aspect. To a great guy! Cheers!
fast250sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #45
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
:')

Texas IS the reason

Id like to be a part of what youre doing at Road Atlanta and Gateway!
Old 04-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #46
blockedwizard
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (11)
blockedwizard is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Sounds like a great way to memorialize him by doing what he loved where'd he loved to do it!
blockedwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #47
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
this weekend will be EPIC...
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #48
aaronlosey
Zilvia Junkie

Small update on the white car.

The motor lost 40% compression on one cylinder at the Tyler Cox memorial event after the fuel pump seized up on a run. It was still running great and I finished the event driving it a TON after I hurt it. Since I needed one single stock piston to put everything back together, in Tyler/Aaron fashion I decided to have Derrick build me a motor.

Now, I didn't want to go crazy, since I still want to keep this motor a tiny T2 flanged T28RS turbo. BUT, I have had tons of SR20s and wanted something a bit different. Derrick and I chat a lot, and are always dreaming up stupid stuff to do. Since we needed a piston, we figured why not just do all the pistons at once, and why not do fancy ones. And if we are doing fancy ones, lets do something silly. So I attempted to order 12 to 1 Wiseco pistons for the SR20, then to my dismay, found out although they have part numbers and are all over the internet, they don't actually really make them. In doubt of what the reseller told me, I called up Wiseco and found out they really don't make them, and then a day later found that the part number was pulled off their sales sheets online lol. DOH! So we settled on 11 to 1 pistons and are going to mill the head to get another .5 compression.

I have been running a T28RS with a .86 exhaust housing, which means I effectively have a T28 that makes full boost at 4k rpm. In the quest of changing things, I ordered a .64 housing while I wait for my GTX turbo to get here some time in the distant future. When I chat with different people they all tell me to use the different housings for one reason or another, and I haven't 100% made up my mind what I am doing yet on this, but I expect to put the .64 housing in there and drop spool by a good bit, especially with the other things that are going on with the build!

Since we are running higher compression, the motor is going to immediately blow up with a turbo on it. To stop that, we are going to run E85. To run the stuff, we are changing over some fuel lines, putting a new pump in the car, and adding 850cc injectors. The tune will be courtesy of Enthalpy : ) Yes, a mail in tune for a high compression E85 SR20DET drift car that gets beat like an unwanted step child constantly. The last tune worked so well I am excited to try this one! Redline will once again be stuck at 8k rpm with 100% stock head ( rebuilt only for the hell of it, it was perfect when we took it apart. Not changing springs or anything )

There is a bunch of little stuff going on to, like new ACL bearings and a head gasket, but nothing overly fancy. Stock rods still, stock cams, stock head but rebuilt.

So the parts list is pretty simple. New stuff is:

ACL bearings
.64 hotside for the turbo
11.5 to 1 total compression
E85 enthalpy tune
fuel pump
850cc injectors
some little parts

So hopefully the car goes from a 4-8k rpm powerband to a 3.5-8k rpm powerband. Hopefully I don't have to worry about anything happening with the AFR or anything since E85 shouldn't let the motor detonate. Power should be limited to around 330-360whp by boost. The car will probably want to make more than that so I will limit the boost to whatever is needed to hopefully keep the transmission alive. Figuring the bump in compression might make from 0-4% more power per point, I am guessing the motor might make 0-12% more power from the compression alone. The car might make as much as 35 hp more than a stock compression motor at the boost I was running before, 18 psi. Couple that with the fact we are adding E85 and people claim a 20-40 hp jump with E85 instead of pump fuel at the same boost level, and I would figure the motor should make more power at the same boost level as before. How much, who knows. I don't understand ricer math and adding up guesses. I would figure 18 psi would make 350 whp at the minimum now with the disco potato, and 20 or more psi should be close to 400 whp. Maybe that is on the low side, who knows. Anyways I figure 400 whp and a stock tranny will spell trouble, so I am going to probably not run that much. Also, I have been lowering my boost at events, sometimes as low as 7 psi so I get retardedly good tire wear. 300 whp is more than enough to drift with on 265s, I just wanted to try E85. Hopefully it goes well!

------------

Blue car progress.

I got a Dmax type 3 kit for the car.

I got a stock fuel tank for the car.

I got most of the glass put in the car, doors on, hood on, and some other stuff.

I got a new front subframe.

Now I have to get time to work on it!
Old 05-26-2013, 01:31 AM   #49
rawgarage

rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
aaron post an update please
Old 05-26-2013, 01:45 AM   #50
Shanevasquez
Leaky Injector

Shanevasquez is an unknown quantity at this point
I did not realize your build is close to the one I am doing on my KA. I am doing 11:1 on a GT25 with meth. But going to end up upgrading the turbo too after I get used to that setup.
Shanevasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #51
rawgarage

Aaron has been very Busy... So take a look at the pics I snagged today...

T Cox car was killin today
Old 06-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #52
boostdd
Zilvia Junkie

boostdd is an unknown quantity at this point
This thread kinda hits close to home with me , I read somewhere else on Tyler's passing and how he was without breathing and his brain deteriorated and left his car unfinished

My lil bro had a similar fate 3 yrs ago and was an avid track visitor for time attack racing and left his car unfinished , not to this extent but me and his friends finished it and I continue to track it , lil bros screen name was smirfs2k05 on the s2ki boards

Keep doing what your doing !!!!
boostdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #53
aaronlosey
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostdd View Post
This thread kinda hits close to home with me , I read somewhere else on Tyler's passing and how he was without breathing and his brain deteriorated and left his car unfinished

My lil bro had a similar fate 3 yrs ago and was an avid track visitor for time attack racing and left his car unfinished , not to this extent but me and his friends finished it and I continue to track it , lil bros screen name was smirfs2k05 on the s2ki boards

Keep doing what your doing !!!!
Sorry for your loss! Having a car around to work on and take care of really helps keep them remembered!
Old 06-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #54
aaronlosey
Zilvia Junkie

So time for an update!!! Since the last update the white car has gone through a huge makeover, courtesy of Derrick Rogers. I had been doing most of the work on the white car myself, and I am just slow and not nearly as competent at working on cars as Derrick, so the car went into hyperdrive when I handed it off!

Why did I hand it off? Well, the motor was very slightly hurt at the memorial event weekend where we spread Tyler's ashes, and the motor lost a bit of compression on one cylinder. We decided to pull everything apart and put new pistons and bearings in the motor and clean it up. The motor was still running great, but I didn't want to trash it on accident so I ran it down to Derrick.

To revisit the highlights of this portion of the buildup of the white car....

11 to 1 Wiseco pistons
E85 fuel
ACL bearings
Cometic head gasket
Rebuilt but stock head
8000 RPM
Enthalpy tune
put a smaller hotside on the 2860RS discopotato turbo, T28RS
Painted the car as an impulse
Cage
Larger Walbro pump

Now for some pictures for fun!

I got to buy E85 finally! I picked up a bunch driving through Waco on my way to Derrick's place. It smells sweet and sugary.

I put it in my normal race jugs, but I have been meaning to put a barrel of it in my trailer. Now that I am thinking about it though, I might just do a bunch of race jugs as they are easier to move around.

Slightly milled head, and rebuilt stock stuff. We meant to have the head milled a bunch for even more compression, but I guess the machine shop forgot, so we didn't end up with our goal of 11.5 to 1, but a bit lower. Maybe around 11.1 or something. Not sure. Purple makes the stock head look racecar though. I always turn my redline up to 8000 on all my SR20s, even the completely stock ones. I have never thrown a rocker arm, not sure why that happens to some people, but I have thousands of laps in SR20 cars and have never done it.

Here the car is looking extra high in the front with no engine in it. Looks kind of silly. Really not that far off the ride height though!

These fancy little pistons! They bring a lot of life to the party though! Between the E85 and the pistons this little SR20 is rowdy. I need to go dyno it for fun, but I actually turned the boost down at the event to conserve tires a bit. I started at 18 psi which was probably 360-380 whp it felt like and dropped it down to 15 psi to keep the tires alive.

Sweet hone machine that Derrick used on the block. Derrick is the man with engines. All the drift engines he has built are indestructible monsters. I can't believe everyone doesn't break his door down trying to get him to build their motors. He is way too cheap and way too awesome. However, I think he tells most people no lol.

My other Derrick motor, (I had another couple SR20 by him too), my LS1. The SR is in the background. I have never blown up a Derrick motor, although the first time he built my LS it was a bit of a learning experience lol. Derrick built a motor for Tyler Cox once, and it was in his car for a couple seasons at 9000 rpm being thrashed on by the worlds most abusive driver, who did the least amount of maintenance you have ever seen. People would change Tyler's oil for him out of pity for the car when he wasn't looking! That motor Derrick built in Tyler's red car made somewhere around 480 whp and lived longer than any of Tyler's other motors. Eventually I think Tyler killed it from running it without oil.

Here is the super sweet cage in the car now. Super simple cage, nothing overkill. Super easy to get into, passes whatever rule books, sweet stuff.

Fancy timing wheel. Derrick takes great care and has lots of fancy tools for putting together motors. This isn't backyard bubba swapping bearings into the motor by pulling the subframe! Those are adjustable cam gears getting timed in. I'm not sure exactly what he changed on them but everything is working awesome.

And like magic the motor is back in the car! The 850 cc injectors are plugged into the rail, a new catch can is settled into the engine bay, the rad mid mount intercooler setup is in place, and everything is working!

I randomly got an impulse to paint the car for some reason. I probably shouldn't have, but for some reason I was compelled too. I tossed on a new front bumper, a hood, and a door and took it down to a paint place right down the street from Autocomp. The did a pretty good job but oversprayed the crap out of everything, and fixing the overspray took a day.

Valve cover looks rad! I really wanted to paint the whole car this color, but I don't think the body could pull it off, so I just painted the valve cover. I love the color.

I tossed on some sweet tail lights, remounted stuff, and got help from Chris and Luis removing overspray and changing out some parts.

The night before the event I found an oil leak. Sigh. It was the turbo oil feed line. Double Sigh. I fiddled with it for an hour, and True and Kevin came over to help and spent another hour on it. We failed to make it stop leaking. Just put it back together and said screw it. On the bright side lots of other things on the car stopped leaking.

So we thought we could get away with a Walbro 255 hp, and I suppose we did. I was rice-ing the car up and down the street in front of Autocomp like a boss, but I started to get a bit uncomfortable with the situation since we raised the fuel pressure to fine tune the Enthalpy tune a bit. Turns out fuel pumps suck when you raise the pressure on a turbo car, and after some time with tech support, even though the car was running great, I decided to get a Walbro 485. I was really worried it wouldn't swap right in, but it did. Swapped right in : ) Oh, except we then wired the thing straight to the battery with a fuse and relay. That part took the longest. We used the original fuel pump wire coming from the front as the new signal wire for the relay, and just went straight to the battery. Why? Because we were only seeing 11 volts at the pump and wanted to see a bit more.

Just in case anyone wanted to see how the Walbro 485 fit.

Car looking all pretty. Tyler wouldn't even recognize it. At this point I realized the car isn't really a missile anymore, except it is still driven like one.

Drift cars are the cheap part, the tires are the expensive part! Tyler always ran DZ101, and destroyed them so fast it wasn't even funny. These are Kendas and they last about 4 times as long as a DZ101, plus this car doesn't make almost 500 whp like his other car. The car only killed 2 tires at the Game of Cones event! Also, it rained halfway through the day lol.

I decided to leverage some parts Kevin and True wanted into a wet sand and polish for the car. Thanks guys!

The game of cones trophy, and stabbing device!

A final picture of what the car looked like, with the wheel fitment dialed in, ride height, etc. I still have some head light covers to add, and the grill, and some details, but the car looks rad in my opinion. So different than typical 240s. No bell bottom kit, just durable battle ready body parts. The car hit around 4 people this weekend, and is no worse for the wear. The other cars are, but the Tyler Missile car came out pretty much unscathed!

And a fun little picture from the event. : )

AND FINALLY, SOME RAD HELMET CAM FOOTAGE! Tyler would have wanted me to hit more people in the car, but I was trying to be nice to everyone and not hit them unnecessarily. That meant keeping a bit of distance. The only person I really stuck it to was Matt Bengston, because he loves it. I put a dent in the side of his car by pushing my front tire into his car a tiny bit too hard, but it didn't mess up our runs and he loved it so oh well! Hopefully someone got video or pictures of it because my go pro missed it!!!!

2013 Round 3 Game of Cones in car video with Aaron Losey in the Tyler Cox Memorial Missile on Vimeo
Old 08-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #55
aaronlosey
Zilvia Junkie

So to catch everyone up, the white Tyler Cox Memorial Missile car has been seeing a ton of action lately. *It got the new high comp motor setup, which was basically a stock motor with high comp pistons and a disco potato and after a couple events the oil filter backed off on a road course and I failed to notice fast enough, ANNNNDDDDD rod knocked the motor. *The high comp E85 setup was pretty darn sweet, and even with the tiny disco potato was awesome for parking lot stuff on 265s. *On the road course the faster stuff left it a bit underpowered for the tire size, but I really could have just stepped down to a 245 and probably been golden.

Anyways, two weeks before the big YOKOI event I am stuck with a dead motor, so the day after everything went south I rushed Derricks place ( several hours away from the track ) and we tore the motor out of the car. *Within hours it was totally torn apart, and we found the rods, cams, crank, etc were trashed. *SIGH. *All over a stupid oil filter backing off which had been on for hours of driving already. *So anyways, I got on the email with Ken from Enjuku and got everything overnighted to Derrick so he could do a speed build, and get the car back together within 7 days. *That included all machine work and stuff as well. *Thank god Derrick keeps bailing me out of my problems, I really should just be driving a stripped out 350Z with a stock motor, but thanks to him I can live out my dreams of ricing the crap out of an SR20.

So, thanks to hook ups from Ken, and working with whatever they had in stock the motor is now...

11 to 1 compression
E85
1200 cc side feed injectors
enthalpy tuned ECU ( he flew in and tuned it in person this time, I set up a tuning day )
350Z coil packs and no igniter
eagle rods
264 bc cams
springs
GTX 2863 THANKS GARRETT!!!
Lots of little things

First off, beware if you do a new GTX turbo that is internally gated, the actuators are different from the GT series....

As you look at the dyno sheet above, that is with the tiny little t2 GTX 2863, .64 housing. *@ like 29 psi. *We just went for it with the boost to make sure it would take anything we threw at the thing boost wise later on. *It was blowing out spark up top so Martin from Enthalpy told me about 350Z coil packs, and then popped them on my car in like 20 minutes after I snagged some. *He is rad.

Bling Bling.

Didn't intend to put aftermarket rods in this thing, but we killed the stock ones from heat.

There is an interesting story to the NEO VVL motor. *I picked this for Derrick to play with and put the head on an SR20 for fun for his car. *I am sure he is going to build something crazy out of it, and I was stealing a crank from him and needed to bribe him to work on my car. *I try to only pay him in neat car parts now to motivate him to build his own car.

This turbo may be little, but it is also tiny. *We are going to see how it fairs with way too much boost thrown at it, with no BOV. *The disco potato did very well and didn't seem to mind no BOV, so lets see how this dude fairs.

There are a lot of parts that have to go together eventually!

What E85 pistons look like on top I guess. *I would have figured they would look cleaner for some reason, but instead they have an oily look.

And finally!!!! *Back together!!!! *For the LAST TIME EVERRRR!!!!!

Yokoi from MCR hooked me up with these, and drove the crap out of the car. *That was cool. *

I threw the coolest drift event ever in Texas, I am excited about that. *It was soooo much fun.

The drivers didn't embarrass me in front of Yokoi, that was a plus. *I was a little worried about that lol.

Sy Pham took amazing photos and made everything look epic.

Fielding Shredders car now looks cool. *WUT.

I dressed up Yokoi in a one of my hats. *I think he got a kick out of cowboys so we made him a cowboy for the event.

Cool cars everywhere.

Arizona dudes made the event so much better.

--------

So back on topic with the build. *The car is pretty rad. *It has no problem keeping up with the faster cars in our series, LOOKS like it is a simple car with the tiny bottom mount t2 turbo, HASN'T BROKEN A TRANNY YET, whew, and is super duper fun. *I get to shift a lot, make judgement calls on what gear to be in and need to think a bit, and basically is totally different from my V8 car, which became a point and shoot car for the most part. *I love the SR20 stock transmission, I love banging rev limiter at 8k everywhere, I love the stock bumpers and no kit, I love trading paint with people. *I was super busy at the event and only got about 12 runs, but got some amazingly fun tandem in. *The car was awesome, and really fun. *I hit every single person I drove against except one person as I didn't think they would appreciate it as they have a very nice car. *Everyone else got a mark. *
Old 08-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #56
aaronlosey
Zilvia Junkie

Here is my little video from the event from my helmet cam. *This is every run from the event I had on my go pro, and only a few seconds are clipped to make it slightly shorter. *Unfortunately the new go pros have shit for battery life and I am super busy running the stupid events and not driving enough!!!! *I am in love with drifting though and having an amazing time!!!! *Thanks to Derrick for keeping my cars running, and all the drivers for keeping me interested in tandeming with them! *: (

I don't know how to embed on here properly : (

2013 Mexican Standoff Drift event by Fabricatedmotorsports.com in the Tyler Cox Memorial Missile on Vimeo
Old 08-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #57
Roscoe.
Leaky Injector

Roscoe. is on a distinguished road
I adore this car so much, and it was great to meet you Saturday at the Standoff. Thanks for putting on such a rad event! Any progress on the blue car?
Roscoe. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #58
aaronlosey
Zilvia Junkie

The blue car is coming along, I was holding back some pics to do an update on it. It just had the drive shaft made for it, the floor cut out under the seat remade and shaped to lower the set a lot, a mountain of parts gathered for it, and was handed off to Derrick Rogers to finish! It was supposed to be finished for yokoi to drive at the event, but motor damage to the white car screwed up those plans lol.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #59
Roscoe.
Leaky Injector

Roscoe. is on a distinguished road
That sounds like some serious progress. I'm beyond excited to see it. That's a shame the missile's motor issues got in the way of Yokoi driving the blue car. As amazing as it was to watch him drive the not-so-missile and Stew's JZX and George's FC, it would have been an over the top thing to see him drive the blue car.

Not to just be all up on your junk, it's great to see what you're doing with Tyler's cars, and Fabricated. Thanks for sharing it!
Roscoe. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #60
zenkiset
Zilvia Member

zenkiset is an unknown quantity at this point
I wish I had a friend like you around man. my dads work has moved my family around so much that ive never made a true friend like you. hopefully someday though ill find one that shares my passion for the s-chassis cars and drifting just as much as I do bc you never know when your day is going to come. and whenever my day comes you better believe ill be an s-chassis owner still, and id love to be able to hand it off to a friend as you have been able to do with tyler.

keep up the great work man! im loving the "missile" car! its honestly how I want my DD to look lmao. but like you said, its not much of a missile car anymore except for the way it gets driven ha. awesome and inspiring thread!
zenkiset is offline   Reply With Quote