Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-29-2014, 11:04 PM   #301
MrMigs
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (5)
MrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to MrMigs Send a message via AIM to MrMigs
Hmmm about the whole top-mount vs bottom-mount thing, maybe they're going bottom-mount because they already have an existing manifold from their SR20DET selection? And then you can also buy their already-made turbo elbow and downpipe? Dunno just a guess

Drifting is just a compromise between you and your car.
MrMigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2014, 11:07 PM   #302
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMigs View Post
Hmmm about the whole top-mount vs bottom-mount thing, maybe they're going bottom-mount because they already have an existing manifold from their SR20DET selection? And then you can also buy their already-made turbo elbow and downpipe? Dunno just a guess
The bottom mount is so you can use all their existing products. You can use the Tomei elbow, downpipe and cat back. You can use the Tomei turbo, etc.

I have not been reading or following this much, but I suspect Tomei, like all the JDM companies, is not trying to go for any HP record. Setup will be a 300whp deal. I don't recall the ARMS turbos being spectacular, just overpriced.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:28 PM   #303
MrMigs
Nissanaholic!

MrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to MrMigs Send a message via AIM to MrMigs
Not sure whether the ARMS turbos are great or not-- saw a thread talking about them maybe a month or two ago, and it seemed like the consensus was that they were good, but overpriced for what they deliver. Now, I'm not some kinda turbo guru or anything like that, but as long as rebuilds aren't too expensive and it's a plug-n-play setup, those are nice things for me.

Drifting is just a compromise between you and your car.
MrMigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:33 PM   #304
illvialuver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
illvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Yes, it was decided for bottom mount placement due to the current available items that work with the sr, like the downpipe, elbows, exhaust ect.

Also if I remember correctly I think they made 330-340ish on 12-14 psi. I will get the exact numbers and post them in here, I do know that the numbers they got were only begining numbers and very conservative as far as boost and fuel goes.

I have new pictures coming soon, and as far as numbers go, they were only running .6-.7 bar and made 320-330 hp . But they do have better fuel over there, so we will have to see the numbers when the kits start getting put on cars over here.
illvialuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:01 PM   #305
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
This sounds quite interesting however the only thing stopping me is the need of a built engine to maintian that 320-300hp for a long period of time.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:30 PM   #306
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

Trader Rating: (0)
kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It would be great if they also got a fully balanced crank made that would use readily available bearings without further modification.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:28 PM   #307
waxball88
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
waxball88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
This sounds quite interesting however the only thing stopping me is the need of a built engine to maintian that 320-300hp for a long period of time.
A stock ka with arp studs and a proper tune will hold stock sr power levels with no issues just as well if not better than an sr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilburn View Post
It would be great if they also got a fully balanced crank made that would use readily available bearings without further modification.
A fcw crank for what? Spinning a ka high won't be a good option most of the time due to its ENORMOUS stroke. BC already makes a crank that is expensive as fuck and expensive to install... Not worth it IMO with plenty 7-800 hp kas having no crank issues
waxball88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:45 PM   #308
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
The stroke of the KA is fine. The harmonics that come on around 5000rpm due to only being balanced on the ends is the problem. Because of that the rest of the lower end isn't designed to spin that high from the factory.

The BC crank is stupid because it is overly priced and not drop in. The only aspects of it to pay attention to is the performance it has shown on the dyno.

I wouldn't mind if someone dropped the KA to a 2.2l or 2l if it meant that I could rev it to the 8k+ the valve train will do. The block is strong enough. Give me a crank and rods that can do it.

That took the QR from a rightful dud to an NA screamer with with a greater displacement that the KA. Had the KA had a proper crank the s chassis scene would never have stomached the expense of importing SRs to start with.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into a huge SR v KA threadjack. That is not at all the intent.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:05 PM   #309
illvialuver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
illvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
That would be very nice, but I think that is further down the line with this project, there is already the idea of a full stroker kit to turn it into a 2.6 liter with a full balanced crank. But from where I am at that might be a one off, but would be pretty insane. For now I am excited for drop in cams that will produce more power than the BC units and will require little to no tuning, and the rest of the turbo stuff. Still waiting on the pictures.
illvialuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:19 AM   #310
Future240
Future Moderator

Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxball88 View Post
A stock ka with arp studs and a proper tune will hold stock sr power levels with no issues just as well if not better than an sr.
While that maybe true, who wants to be limited to stock SR power?

Quote:

*PIC*

That took the QR from a rightful dud to an NA screamer with with a greater displacement that the KA. Had the KA had a proper crank the s chassis scene would never have stomached the expense of importing SRs to start with.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into a huge SR v KA threadjack. That is not at all the intent.
See now this interests me. A KA that could rev up to 8K and make power the entire way woould be fantastic.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:51 AM   #311
waxball88
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
waxball88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
While that maybe true, who wants to be limited to stock SR power?

See now this interests me. A KA that could rev up to 8K and make power the entire way woould be fantastic.
You missed what I was saying... Tomei 300whp turbo kit doesn't require building given the engine is in good shape and maybe arp head studs and a new headgasket . However once you start to go passed that power you will need to build a ka or an sr.

Cams and porting is all a ka needs to make power to redline. A FCW crank or destroking a ka (which has been pretty heavily looked into and abandoned) is stupid beyond just "wanting something different." For the cost of the current FCW crank available, you can almost build an 8-900HP capable KA

Just seems like the modification needed would be foolishly expensive
waxball88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:50 PM   #312
Future240
Future Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxball88 View Post
You missed what I was saying... Tomei 300whp turbo kit doesn't require building given the engine is in good shape and maybe arp head studs and a new headgasket . However once you start to go passed that power you will need to build a ka or an sr.

Cams and porting is all a ka needs to make power to redline. A FCW crank or destroking a ka (which has been pretty heavily looked into and abandoned) is stupid beyond just "wanting something different." For the cost of the current FCW crank available, you can almost build an 8-900HP capable KA

Just seems like the modification needed would be foolishly expensive
Ah I get you now. When you said SR power, I thought you mean like 220whp. 300whp ona stock bottom end would be awesome.

And we are in complete agreeance on the cost aspect. If someone could make a FCW that was not stupidly expensive it would be great to have. I just doubt that will happen.

I'm just excited to see what the final product will be like.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:13 PM   #313
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

Making power on a ka is possible but always a ticking bomb. Those harmonics only get worse with power.

With the insane number of basically the same ka out there anyone willing to make and market a fully counter weighted crank could make a killing. One of the American manufacturers would be ideal.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:04 PM   #314
Future240
Future Moderator

Quote:
Making power on a ka is possible but always a ticking bomb. Those harmonics only get worse with power.

With the insane number of basically the same ka out there anyone willing to make and market a fully counter weighted crank could make a killing. One of the American manufacturers would be ideal.
And that is the concern I have on a non built KA. How long before it goes boom? I want an engine I can daily driver boosted with 300-350 hp that I can DD for 200K miles ya know?

I would honestly if a KA would last 100K miles making 300whp. Assuming a solid tune and ARP head studs of course.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:03 PM   #315
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

Running an ATI damper would help with that a ton but you're still working with an inferior part(the crank).

A free revving KA could eat modern engines for lunch on all front but weight.

I hope lots of shops and manufacturers are looking at this thread. Give me a crank and manifolds for the KA dammit.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:30 AM   #316
mewantkouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (36)
mewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
I doubt this stuff will ever be released. Probably one of those things tomei engineers did just to say they could.
mewantkouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:51 PM   #317
93_ProjectS13
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
93_ProjectS13 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Rather buy Mazworx top mount kit
93_ProjectS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:01 PM   #318
drunkmunky
Leaky Injector

drunkmunky is an unknown quantity at this point
any news on camshaft development?
drunkmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:15 AM   #319
Irresistible
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
Irresistible is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
What ever happened with this whole thing? I was interested in this, but it's seeming like this is just being abandoned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2014, 08:59 AM   #320
240sxfan6882
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
240sxfan6882 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irresistible View Post
What ever happened with this whole thing? I was interested in this, but it's seeming like this is just being abandoned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah seriously. Tomei was all over FB and Youtube with videos and teasers. And now.... dead silent like it never happened.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #321
tacotacotaco
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
tacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tacotacotaco
Bump for more info. Id like to see more on the cams
tacotacotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 12:16 PM   #322
HORShi
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
HORShi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I don't think there is any more development info...it's absolutely dead quiet now. Maybe it was truly abandoned?
Old 12-26-2014, 01:16 PM   #323
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
The BC crank is stupid because it is overly priced and not drop in. The only aspects of it to pay attention to is the performance it has shown on the dyno.

I wouldn't mind if someone dropped the KA to a 2.2l or 2l if it meant that I could rev it to the 8k+ the valve train will do. The block is strong enough. Give me a crank and rods that can do it.
Last time I checked I believe the BC FCW crank with stock stroke was around $1600 and the only modifications were to grind the block a bit in some areas to clear the additional counterweights? This isn't too bad of a price/hassle IMO considering it drastically changes the rev capabilities of the KA.
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:52 PM   #324
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

Unless they've updated the design it is in no way drop in.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:23 PM   #325
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Update they're still working on it.

Tomei's facebook page posted this blog update today.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:49 PM   #326
Rusker
Zilvia Junkie

Rusker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaLKoN240 View Post

More photos of the same manifold.

Few more photos on the link below, post #136:

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=614518&page=5
Old 11-05-2015, 12:15 AM   #327
turboshoebox
Zilvia Addict

turboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymore
now u can be jdm but still be usdm at the same time!
turboshoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:45 AM   #328
bataangpinoy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
bataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaLKoN240 View Post

crazy.. thats why they've been dead silent.
bataangpinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:08 AM   #329
usdm180sx
Post Whore!

usdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to usdm180sx Send a message via Yahoo to usdm180sx
I want a ka-t now. After having an na 3.7L v6 I want torque and boost. This kit has me sold.

Wait, where's the distributor?

usdm180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:06 AM   #330
tacotacotaco
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
tacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tacotacotaco
Theres a Rocket bunny s14 at sema with the Tomei KA-T. Let me find pics
tacotacotaco is offline   Reply With Quote