Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #31
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
4x4le is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 4x4le Send a message via Yahoo to 4x4le
It will work better than running on a stock ecu. Not saying it wont be problamatic though. We have an entire box full of peoples jwt, enthaply, mines, emance ect. boards and there is a story behind each one.
Idle always sucked, or mpg was bad, or blew up motors or detenation was audiable, or there was a lean spot that was always there ect.

Things like this can be expected from mail in tunes. The best way to tune an ecu is on the dyno with someone qualified doing the tuning.

sent from my rooted thunderbolt
4x4le is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2011, 10:16 PM   #32
lazysk8er2
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
lazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
dont do it! even though a tune is necessary

run the kit the way the company recommends on the website to show how it works.

Quote:
Well i have a 95 240 and i like my cars low... But my parents don't like my wheels tilted
Old 08-28-2011, 04:52 AM   #33
nickkaplz
Leaky Injector

nickkaplz is an unknown quantity at this point
i do plan on running the kit a couple of weeks with no tune, but im pretty scared , and also i would prefer a real dyno tune, buit the closest person to me is over two hours away in atlanta! this is why building in alabama sucks
nickkaplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:07 AM   #34
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

It takes longer to change an engine out than it takes to drive to atlanta. Hell im probably closer to you than atlanta.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:34 AM   #35
nickkaplz
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4le View Post
It takes longer to change an engine out than it takes to drive to atlanta. Hell im probably closer to you than atlanta.
If you tune ecu's send me a pm with pricing please
Old 08-28-2011, 10:04 AM   #36
MYN1SMO

MYN1SMO is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickkaplz View Post
Trust me i know what im getting into with this
Quote:
i do plan on running the kit a couple of weeks with no tune, but im pretty scared
lol starting to get doubts
MYN1SMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:44 AM   #37
lazysk8er2
Zilvia FREAK!

lazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud of
honestly ive never had a problem with rs enthalpy...all my experiences with them has been nothing but positive, even helping me diagnose my car over the phone to track down a wiring problem.

If you dont like the tune you can send back the chips on the daughterboard if anything is wrong. I also like the new function where you can switch across 2 separate maps.

another option you can use is nistune so you can build the maps yourself onto the stock computer

Quote:
Well i have a 95 240 and i like my cars low... But my parents don't like my wheels tilted
Old 08-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #38
nickkaplz
Leaky Injector

Thanks for the info guys! If my engine survives ill put the rs enthalpy tune on lol
Old 08-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #39
Biggamehit
Zilvia Addict

Biggamehit will become famous soon enoughBiggamehit will become famous soon enoughBiggamehit will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Biggamehit Send a message via MSN to Biggamehit Send a message via Yahoo to Biggamehit
Turboing the engine is not going to blow it.... driving it stupidly without a tune will.

I recommend grabbing a safc I or II to change the hotwire settings with the new maf so that it will idle and run and also pull some percentage from the injectors if they are 550cc's or under. Dont load the engine up with boost at all if you must drive it.

A compression check will let you know right away the condition of the motor before you go any further with things.

Facebook: Pink Ranger Drift
Biggamehit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #40
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

safc's dont control timing, however they do usually negatively effect it. normally the timing increases with them which is the opposet effect you want. Your much better off with an enthaply tune than a safc. I have see multiple times a ka with a working o2 sensor idle and drive fine with 370cc injectors and a stock maf with no tune and go into decent air fuel ratios under boost, the problem was the timing so a full tune still had to be done.

Ill send you a pm about my tuning services but it probably isnt worth it if you already got a enthaply tune.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:53 PM   #41
Biggamehit
Zilvia Addict

Biggamehit will become famous soon enoughBiggamehit will become famous soon enoughBiggamehit will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Biggamehit Send a message via MSN to Biggamehit Send a message via Yahoo to Biggamehit
Yes Sir im aware that SAFC's don't control timing however under 12-13 psi backing base timing off is fine.

I ran my KA-T two years before leaving for japan with my SafcI. Drove it daily along with drag, auto-x and drifting pretty much every weekend. It's better than running around completely unregulated.

Timing increases negatively with OBDII setups more so than OBDI setups which I ran. Im sure you knew that considering you are in the tuning buisness. Safc are useful to those with lower end setups... proven.

My Setup had zero issues other than wishing the timing was more agressive right above mid-range but like you said no timing control with the SAFC so it was a con with my setup but got the job done. I street tuned it for normal driving myself however needed a dyno to help with the HI crossover maps.

Holset H1C turbo
Tial 38mm wastegate
3in V-band custom dump/down pipe
jgs tools custom stage 1 manifold
dsm bov
detachwork 480cc injectors.
safc1
aem uegowideband
greddy Full auto timer
ssac fmic
earls oil line fittings
summit racing SS oil line -10AN drain
AutoMeter -4AN feed
JGStools adjustable Oil pressure kit
NGK copper plugs (gapped to .033)
N60 MAF
255 pump

Facebook: Pink Ranger Drift

Last edited by Biggamehit; 08-28-2011 at 06:03 PM..
Biggamehit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:25 AM   #42
Koukisr20

Koukisr20 is an unknown quantity at this point
The tune is the absolute most important part of any build as far as I'm concerned! A bad tune can make the best of kits run like crap and vise versa. Your money will be best spent on a quality ecu capable of acurately mapping out engine peramiters! (power fc, AEM, blah blah blah) Also don't think you can just street tune it either. For example, I've seen plenty of guys try to "play it safe" and back the timing down only to back it so far down they end up melting exhaust valves. Me being one of those guys haha. Leave the tuning to a professional that has the proper equipment. If you do that you can do as much experimenting with different kits and parts as you like without doing any damage. Not to mention you will have a much more accurate understanding of how different kits and parts effect the cars overall performance. I speak from experience. I once thought the tune wasn't that important or I could figure it out myself. Turned out I was better at screwing up engines rather than tuning them!! Now I trailer it to the dyno and let a pro do it. Way cheaper in the long run. Plus if its tuned right you can drive the hell out the car without any worries. Thats why we make them faster, so we can drive them fast! Either way good luck with your build. I'm sure you'll have a blast learning all about the joys of forced induction!
Koukisr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:07 AM   #43
nickkaplz
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4le View Post
Ill send you a pm about my tuning services but it probably isnt worth it if you already got a enthaply tune.
i havent actually paid for the ecu yet so send me that pm please
Old 09-02-2011, 08:36 AM   #44
nickkaplz
Leaky Injector

not even i saw this one coming, nothing on the kit fit so I had to send it back. the manifold hit the exhaust studs, the turbo hit the block, the down pipe hit the fire wall and the inter cooler wouldnt fit behind the bumper, and the the intercooler brackets didnt work. The bolts that were sent were too big and insted of l brackets it was just some stupid metal strips. this kit is total crap. the individual parts looked to be quality but the overall fitment sucked on everything.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #45
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I think everyone saw that coming.

"- Very easy to install, with minimum modification"

You gave up too quickly.
di-devol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #46
Edwin562
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
Edwin562 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
WOW what a fail....
Edwin562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:14 AM   #47
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

well that sucks.

It kinda is the best thing to buy everything component by component, make your brackets and piping as well as downpipe. I know it sounds like allot of work but its easier than modifying something that is supposed to fit already.

When you do it right and everything fits the way you want it you will be much more satisfied.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #48
ca18_luv
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
ca18_luv is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
not even i saw this one coming, nothing on the kit fit so I had to send it back. the manifold hit the exhaust studs, the turbo hit the block, the down pipe hit the fire wall and the inter cooler wouldnt fit behind the bumper, and the the intercooler brackets didnt work. The bolts that were sent were too big and insted of l brackets it was just some stupid metal strips. this kit is total crap. the individual parts looked to be quality but the overall fitment sucked on everything.
You gotta play with it dood lol Manifold might need little customization, the compressor section might have to be unbolted from the turbo housing and clocked a bit then bolted back to prevent hitting block, the downpipe might need to be customized as well depending on thickness (i had to heat mine up and hit it with a hammer to creat a sort of flat spot so it wouldnt hit firewall, and you might need to trim some parts of your bumper support to let the IC fit. i made custom brackets for the intercooler it was super easy to do.
ca18_luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:17 PM   #49
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
ITT - n00b doesn't even know the basics of installing a turbo kit.

Clocking the turbo and trimming the bumper are standard practice when installing stuff like this.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:51 AM   #50
lazysk8er2
Zilvia FREAK!

point being its not plug and play, customizing the manifold and fudging the dp defeats the purpose of their claimed "Very easy to install, with minimum modification"

and its true mods need to be done like trimming the bumper and clocking the turbo need to be done but redrilling holes into the manifold and smashing the dp should not happen

even my megan manifold and dp fit on like oem no mods needed

Quote:
Old 09-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #51
nickkaplz
Leaky Injector

everything you people say to do i have allready tried, im not going to rape my car just to get a turbo to fit, if it doesnt fit it doesnt fit and thats what the point of this thread was in the first place
Old 09-04-2011, 03:40 PM   #52
ca18_luv
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
ca18_luv is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
+1 on not having to eff with the downpipe and manifold in that matter. Honestly if it werent for those two small things it would have been all in all a great kit. Still a good kit but those parts sucked.
ca18_luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #53
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
everything you people say to do i have allready tried, im not going to rape my car just to get a turbo to fit, if it doesnt fit it doesnt fit and thats what the point of this thread was in the first place
Everybody already told you that Chinese crap wouldn't fit well from the getgo.

I guess props for at least admitting it...

Although you still don't know anything about turboing a car...
Old 09-05-2011, 01:48 AM   #54
c_mancuyas8
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
c_mancuyas8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
hey man if youre still wanting to turbo the ka dont give up. Search the for sale forums Ive seen plenty of ka-t setups on there that are very reasonable. I waited almost 6 months before I had all the pieces to mine and just like you debated the cxr kit but Im very happy with what I was able to piece together. Ive gotten 2 sr t25's from here for about $100 each or so given they wont give 300hp they still spool fast as hell and add alot to the stock ka. Everyone is right about the tune though you gotta have one if you want to be safe. 4x4le is pretty smart guy ive known him a while if you can get to him to tune your car do it!
Old 09-05-2011, 03:12 AM   #55
Walperstyle
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Walperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Walperstyle
I really would have spent more time reading online before spending money on a turbo kit. I've been building my KA-T for a couple of years now, and I still don't have my turbo or intercooler pipes. Or a hole drilled in my oil pan for that matter for oil return. Because I'm doing it the right way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazysk8er2 View Post
i dont care what anyone says, u need to tune the ecu

In the event anyone missed that... Engine Management is very important when you start playing around with turbos and injectors.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:04 AM   #56
Flipp

Flipp is an unknown quantity at this point
for those with the kit, did you have to mod or move the batt tray? i have a friend who bought the kit but he says the batt tray is kinda in the way. just trying to find him a solution, if you have any ideas do let me know. ill be searching some more after this post. any help is appreciated. thanks in advance
Flipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:29 AM   #57
Tantwoforty
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (20)
Tantwoforty is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Welcome to zilvia...
This thread has been dead since 2011, But i guess bumping it is better than making a new thread.
Just cut a hole right through it, your wiper fluid might be in the way, just remove it.
You can use a hole saw or a sawzall.
then you can turn the battery sideways (sometimes/ be crafty)
relocate it to the back
or get a small battery..
Tantwoforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:33 AM   #58
Flipp

Flipp is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks for the info, yea i was suggesting the same thing but wanted to make sure it was the right thing to do or if maybe he had the IC piping on wrong. im deployed right now and couldnt be there to look at it myself and help out.
and its always better to bump an old thread then make a new one.., no rookie thread moves here lol. thanks again
Flipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #59
Mishkin_707
Zilvia Addict

Mishkin_707 is an unknown quantity at this point
Well it has been almost a year, let's get an update of the kit!
Mishkin_707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:45 AM   #60
USN_S14

USN_S14 is an unknown quantity at this point
i concure on that a update would be nice
USN_S14 is offline   Reply With Quote