Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-09-2009, 07:56 PM   #2221
STR8E180
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
STR8E180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bardabe View Post
nice, the one im building is using CP Pistons, Corillo Rods, then the custom head work to get the VVL head to work with the RWD Block, and i can't disclose soo much on the head as we have some prototype stuff in there but once its tested and working if the companies allow I shall provide with the details on the Headwork.
how far away is it from being finished??
STR8E180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2009, 08:31 PM   #2222
DeleriousZ
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
DeleriousZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ
Dimes may look cool, but a smooth weld is much stronger.
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:22 PM   #2223
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
S14_Kouki can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeleriousZ View Post
Dimes may look cool, but a smooth weld is much stronger.
Who are you talking to?? im very confused
S14_Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:03 AM   #2224
TanaMU
Zilvia Member

TanaMU will become famous soon enoughTanaMU will become famous soon enoughTanaMU will become famous soon enoughTanaMU will become famous soon enough
Probably this guy

TanaMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:14 AM   #2225
Race Manifolds

Race Manifolds is an unknown quantity at this point
very cool stuff on here you guys are damn active! here is a few shots of the manifolds we build for the SR20 crowd.

Race Manifolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:31 AM   #2226
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to blu808
How come I have never seen your manifolds? They are beautiful. Your work makes me want to go back to Sr engines.

Hats off sir.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:02 AM   #2227
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to blu808
Want to build a ITB setup for my turbo LS1?
Old 09-10-2009, 03:14 AM   #2228
STR8E180
Zilvia Junkie

STR8E180 is an unknown quantity at this point
not sure if u guys have heard of an australian company called HYPERTUNE?

they make 3 piece billet plenums and the great thing about them being 3 piece is it makes it so much more easy to match port to the cylinder head
basically u unbolt the flange plate of the runners and bolt it onto ur cylinder head and port them both together for the perfect match port instead of match porting to the gasket like u normally do

here are some photos of there SR20 plenums they have on the market

STR8E180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:16 AM   #2229
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Hello DeleriousZ and TanaMU
Do you guys know anything about welding?? Maybe if you did you would know, that is pulse welding theres even a option on the tig machines and the reason you use a pulse is to get better penetration. Just so everyone knows full race welds there manifolds with a pulse. So stfu

Race Manifold guy do you have any dyno numbers of your evo intake manifolds?? From what I have heard/read the only aftermarket intake manifold that actually works and gains power on the evo is the cosworth intake manifolds.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:27 AM   #2230
s15specR
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
s15specR is making a name for him/her selfs15specR is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Race Manifold:

Price, website etc ?

Very nice stuff by the way.
s15specR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:26 PM   #2231
TIG

TIG is an unknown quantity at this point
As much as I love this thread I don't know why I havent posted anything in here yet!

Here is the beginning of some camber plates I designed and started machining. They were originally designed for my M3, but now they're going to be altered (a lot) for an RPS13 so I can knock the caster back several degrees.

TIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:45 PM   #2232
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Lookin good I would like to see pics of them on the car when there done.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:54 PM   #2233
s15specR
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
s15specR is making a name for him/her selfs15specR is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Love this thread!
s15specR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:25 PM   #2234
Race Manifolds

Race Manifolds is an unknown quantity at this point
this website hates me. i paid to be a memner and they keep deleting all my posts. fuckin lame
Race Manifolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:40 AM   #2235
xpertsnowcarver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (44)
xpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
If your promoting your business, then yes.. you'd have to subscribe as a Vendor which costs quite a bit more money..

My YouTube Channel
xpertsnowcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:54 PM   #2236
doug200t
Leaky Injector

doug200t is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to doug200t
Yah... Never seen the BJS intake manifold with all the years of work in sr development ive been on. Sandrail crowd?

http://www.iwannagofast.net [url]
doug200t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:58 AM   #2237
white92_s13
Leaky Injector

white92_s13 is just really nicewhite92_s13 is just really nicewhite92_s13 is just really nicewhite92_s13 is just really nicewhite92_s13 is just really nicewhite92_s13 is just really nicewhite92_s13 is just really nicewhite92_s13 is just really nicewhite92_s13 is just really nice
just started out recently doing welding. I am using a 110v lincoln electric weld pack 100, with a co2 argon mix. Right now i have a spool of .025" wire and its ok, but i prefer to use .030"

anyways heres a few things i have welded, the material i was welding was 16 gauge steel, and according to the chart on the welder, i should have used .030 or .035 wire to weld that thick, but the beads came out good and it holds water!

I used heat range D and wire speed of around 3.5 4 on the knob.

let me know if there is anything i should change and improve on!
white92_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #2238
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

^ lookin good just keep practicing
Old 09-16-2009, 09:57 PM   #2239
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

O shit son something new to look at enjoy

So we made progress on the srt4 dowepipe

The 900hp integra built The DP and IC

4 inch baby

And k20 flange top, sr flange bottom just got in mail today.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:45 PM   #2240
KawBoy
Zilvia Member

KawBoy is making a name for him/her selfKawBoy is making a name for him/her self
BJ's has been around in the dsm community

And FWIW, the Hypertune > BJ's in more ways then just being 3 piece.
KawBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:47 AM   #2241
clark
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
clark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by white92_s13 View Post
just started out recently doing welding. I am using a 110v lincoln electric weld pack 100, with a co2 argon mix. Right now i have a spool of .025" wire and its ok, but i prefer to use .030"

anyways heres a few things i have welded, the material i was welding was 16 gauge steel, and according to the chart on the welder, i should have used .030 or .035 wire to weld that thick, but the beads came out good and it holds water!

yo i just picked up the same welder this summer, welds are looking really really good. what technique did you use? did you push or pull? what type of sweeping motion (if any) did you use?
clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:38 AM   #2242
clark
Zilvia FREAK!

clark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfection
hey if any of you guys know about making tie bars and heim joints in general, have a look at my thread. I want some opinions and some help with this:

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/279277...e-tie-bar.html
Old 09-18-2009, 11:07 AM   #2243
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
Quote:
Originally Posted by clark View Post
hey if any of you guys know about making tie bars and heim joints in general, have a look at my thread. I want some opinions and some help with this:

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/279277...e-tie-bar.html
Ok, here is my personal opinion on the subject. I am guessing that by "tie bars" you are talking about strut tower braces and chassis bracing. In my opinion you should not have adjustment points/heims on your chassis bracing. They should be solid like mine(Stealth-Custom-Fab), Carbing, Ultra Racing...ect. Adjustments do allow you to not have to worry about being precise in fabracation, but they allow movement. With heims you can get movement in all directions because that is the nature of the joint.
Gold standard would be welding in a cage, silver would be bolt in solid chassis stiffeners, bronze would be bolt in adjustable chassis bracing. Adjustable is better than nothing, but not the best by any means.
Hope this helps.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:28 AM   #2244
clark
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnie Fraz View Post
Ok, here is my personal opinion on the subject. I am guessing that by "tie bars" you are talking about strut tower braces and chassis bracing. In my opinion you should not have adjustment points/heims on your chassis bracing. They should be solid like mine(Stealth-Custom-Fab), Carbing, Ultra Racing...ect. Adjustments do allow you to not have to worry about being precise in fabracation, but they allow movement. With heims you can get movement in all directions because that is the nature of the joint.
Gold standard would be welding in a cage, silver would be bolt in solid chassis stiffeners, bronze would be bolt in adjustable chassis bracing. Adjustable is better than nothing, but not the best by any means.
Hope this helps.
i was hoping you'd see this. thanks for the input, now i'm having second thoughts i still might play around to see what i'm capable of.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:51 PM   #2245
white92_s13
Leaky Injector

white92_s13 is just really nicewhite92_s13 is just really nicewhite92_s13 is just really nicewhite92_s13 is just really nicewhite92_s13 is just really nicewhite92_s13 is just really nicewhite92_s13 is just really nicewhite92_s13 is just really nicewhite92_s13 is just really nice
Quote:
yo i just picked up the same welder this summer, welds are looking really really good. what technique did you use? did you push or pull? what type of sweeping motion (if any) did you use?
hey good deal on the welder!

I am now using .030" wire, and its welding nicer. The wire can penetrate better. I go left to right, and do a small arc sweep. or i go down from the top, and do the same small sweep.

Its a great welder, i welded a diff with it, and on heat D .030" wire and 3.5 wire speed welds a diff just fine! plan on welding my next roll cage with this welder
white92_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:16 PM   #2246
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnie Fraz View Post
... In my opinion you should not have adjustment points/heims on your chassis bracing...
Agreed 100%. Chassis supports should be fab'd to spec, only use heims where you need adjustment (suspension arms/etc).

Quote:
i welded a diff with it, and on heat D .030" wire and 3.5 wire speed welds a diff just fine! plan on welding my next roll cage with this welder
Owning my own 110V Hobart, I would not trust a diff welded with a 110V welder, even if it were brand new/immaculately clean. Not enough penetration, and the welds are almost certainly dirty.

Did you use MIG/gas, or flux core?

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:49 PM   #2247
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
^Truth.
110v shouldn't be used for anything more than body work and welding misc tabs and stuff.

110v provides little to no penetration when compared to a 220v power source.

Welding a diff with 110v would be silly. You're almost better off trying to solder it together. The gears are gonna put a fair amount of force on those welds. Especially if you're drifting.
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:44 PM   #2248
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
Quote:
i was hoping you'd see this. thanks for the input, now i'm having second thoughts i still might play around to see what i'm capable of.
By all means play around and have fun. We all need a fresh perspective once and a while. Enjoy your new tool, but know your limitations.
I have been a welder longer than I have not, and there are some things I still won't attempt.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:27 PM   #2249
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

MELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfection
I have to say this is probably my favorite thread on the entire forum... So much cool stuff happening in here!

Quote:

Sweet! Someone else learning to weld! Those look pretty good. Are you teaching yourself or taking a class or?? I think I prefer .030 over the .023 also but I have spools of both on hand.

I bought myself a Miller 140 110v unit a few months ago and taught myself also. I'm still practicing MIG but have access to a syncrowave 200 unit so I'm teaching myself TIG now as well.. I love it I can weld for hours until my knuckles are on fire and my arms sunburnt, so awesome haha

Here's a couple pics of my MIG practicing, 16ga sheet with some 3/16 plates:

I think this was a 3/16 plate to a 1.5x.095 DOM tube? Can't remember, but the thicker stuff is much more enjoyable to MIG weld than the sheetmetal... Dark spots aren't porosity, some of the slag chipped off.

No photos of TIG work yet..
MELLO*SOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:17 PM   #2250
duffman1278
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
duffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to duffman1278
Those first 2 photos look really good but how's the penetration?

duffman1278 is offline   Reply With Quote