Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-16-2001, 02:27 PM   #1
Chokudori
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Chokudori is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have intake and exhaust on my 97 S14 right now, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be getting something else in about a month. What should I get? my budged would be something up to around $500.

I was thinking of a header but hot shot doesn't seem to fit very well and it would remove my cat. Greddy seems to have cracking problems...  It would also be wasted if I get a turbo

cam would be nice but I hear that the ones available right now won't give you much hp at top end and you loose alot at low end.

I wouldn't want to remove my fan or get a pulley because I want this car to be as reliable as possilbe...

I would like to see how a JWT cam would do... or are there something else that's worth upgrading?
oh yeah, I'm not planning to do my suspension until I get close to 200hp at the crank.
Chokudori is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2001, 02:29 PM   #2
ca18guy
Premium Member

ca18guy is close to perfectionca18guy is close to perfectionca18guy is close to perfectionca18guy is close to perfectionca18guy is close to perfectionca18guy is close to perfectionca18guy is close to perfectionca18guy is close to perfectionca18guy is close to perfectionca18guy is close to perfectionca18guy is close to perfection
If your gonna get a turbo then don't get anything save your money (but let's face it, most people who want a turbo never actually get one)  I would get a header next, pickone and live with it's fault's.
ca18guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 02:40 PM   #3
Chokudori
Zilvia Member

Yeah, just saving for a turbo makes alot of sense, but I was just going to wait for that till when I get a full time job again. I'm also kinda interested in seeing how far I could go N/A.

hmm, so 1 vote for header I guess.
Old 10-16-2001, 03:17 PM   #4
LanceS13
AutoX Junkie

LanceS13 is making a name for him/her selfLanceS13 is making a name for him/her self
You kinda need to make a decision on whether you want to go n/a or turbo.  If you max a car out n/a and then just slap a turbo on there, most likely bad things will happen.  That, or you have to replace, among other things, the pistons, cams, and ecu...not to mention completely removing/refabricating the header and intake...that's alot of wasted money.  
If you want to stay n/a, I'd say go with the header.  I think Hotshot has released 3rd generation headers that fit correctly and eithter include a cat or stop before the stock cat.  If you seriously want to go turbo, save your money.
LanceS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 03:35 PM   #5
Chokudori
Zilvia Member

I see your point, LanceS13.
I should have clarified what I meant by n/a. I meant n/a with all the bolt-ons. cams, ecu, high-flow cat, maybe port and polish. Basically up to the point where it won't leave turbo upgrade as a option. (not raising compression and stuff)
In other words, n/a up to 200hp crank. Then I'll go into turbo in about 2 years or so...

As for Hotshot header, I'll go and look into that. Thanks!
Old 10-16-2001, 03:50 PM   #6
ca18guy
Premium Member

ca18guy is close to perfectionca18guy is close to perfectionca18guy is close to perfectionca18guy is close to perfectionca18guy is close to perfectionca18guy is close to perfectionca18guy is close to perfectionca18guy is close to perfectionca18guy is close to perfectionca18guy is close to perfectionca18guy is close to perfection
Well I have one problem with getting cam's, turbo kit's are designed to use the stock cam's, you don't know how aftermarket cam's for a n/a would affect a turbo'd engine. So you might not want to get cam's.
ca18guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 03:57 PM   #7
Chokudori
Zilvia Member

I read that JWT cam's are good for turbo as well, but I would like to actually see it set up first though...
But I guess I should put the cam idea aside for now then.
hmm, 1 for header -1 for cam.