Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-01-2005, 06:38 PM   #1
woodysmom
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
woodysmom is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
$50 + Parts for repair

I've tried to fix the gas smell in my cabin for weeks to no avail. I've changed the inspection gasket, looked for leaks, checked carbon canister. To me, these all look fine.

I'm willing to pay someone 50 bucks + parts to come to my house and find the source of the smell and FIX it. Of course i'll be on hand to help as much as possible.

I live in Moorpark, California, 93021. e-mail [email protected].

I'm so sick of this F-ing smell, help me please.

Ask for Andy

Last edited by woodysmom; 05-02-2005 at 10:23 PM..
woodysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2005, 06:43 PM   #2
420sx
Post Whore!

420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future
why dont u check if the lid on the tank (where the pump is at) is tight. or not damaged. u might have a leak in lines under the car too.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:47 PM   #3
woodysmom
Zilvia Junkie

cuz i'm sick of being in/near/around/smelling like/touching gas
Old 05-01-2005, 08:35 PM   #4
Flybert
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
Flybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Check the O-ring on the fuel pump. If someone has messed with it, it's has probably lossed it's original seal because it stretches over time and you might have to cut it down and seal it up with some silicone.
Flybert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 09:35 PM   #5
MakotoS13
BANNED

MakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via AIM to MakotoS13
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodysmom
cuz i'm sick of being in/near/around/smelling like/touching gas
sounds to me like someome picked the wrong hobby

check your lines, ditch the carbon canister crap.
MakotoS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 09:42 PM   #6
wootwoot
Post Whore!

wootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to wootwoot
Just take it to a technician man...
Old 05-02-2005, 12:42 AM   #7
woodysmom
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybert
Check the O-ring on the fuel pump. If someone has messed with it, it's has probably lossed it's original seal because it stretches over time and you might have to cut it down and seal it up with some silicone.
i literally just replaced this 2 weeks ago, you think the new one is not sealing correctly?
Old 05-02-2005, 12:55 AM   #8
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
You may want to take off your cell# from your post.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 12:58 AM   #9
Flybert
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
Flybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Seeing as how you replaced that and it is the only way that I can think of that a fuel smell could enter the cabin of your car, could it possibly be another smell? Maybe not fuel but possibly gear oil? Pull off your shift knob, take off the center console, take that rubber shift boot, and see if the shifter rubber boot is torn and is leaking gear oil onto your carpet underneath your center console.
Flybert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 02:27 AM   #10
kazuo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
kazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakotoS13
He lives in Los Angeles.

Removing the carbon canister = fail CA Smog Inspection
kazuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:48 AM   #11
nissantuner22
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (-1)
nissantuner22 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to nissantuner22
my buddy with his 89 coupe took it to a shop and told them to check for fuel leaks. they found 3 leaking lines near his gas tank. 100 bucks later and 1 afternoon, smell was gone.

morale of the story, take it to a professional and have them fix it.

Current Project: Operation: N/A SR: 93 Silvia Q SR20DE Engine with go fast goodies. ,
"Common problems 240sx's suffer from are curbs, trees, ditches, and other immovable objects."thx247

"on the tounge... there is no guardrails."- citizen
nissantuner22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 12:01 PM   #12
420sx
Post Whore!

420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future
haha "professional". i find it amusing how many people think that mechanics in shops are super people, however for lil things like that u could do it urself. check the seal on the pump again. i guarantee u its that. then get under the car and check the lines around the tank for leaks. u will see darker spots on suspension parts.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:30 AM   #13
idlafie
Zilvia Addict

idlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakotoS13
sounds to me like someome picked the wrong hobby

HAHAHAHA!!!!!.....

If you DITCH the carbon cannister crap, then that's ALL you'll be smelling!!!..the gasoline fumes!!!! The carbon cannister crap you wanna take out keeps the fuel vapors that try to escape from your gas tank IN your gas tank. Remove it & you're be opening up the vacuum lines that recirculate the gasoline fumes back into the gas tank, allowing the gas fumes to escape to the environment. Why the heck do you hear the hissing sound everytime you remove your gas cap when your gas tank is empty. It's the carbon cannister doing it's job!!.....you guys crack me up!!!
hahahaha...
ID
'95 SE
Old 05-04-2005, 05:46 PM   #14
chokudoriS13
Zilvia FREAK!

chokudoriS13 is making a name for him/her selfchokudoriS13 is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to chokudoriS13
Poke around the fuel pump area and tighten everything. I had the same smell... Pulled off the cover and there was a gas leak. Tightened every nut/bolt and the smell is gone...
Old 05-04-2005, 06:03 PM   #15
Yoshi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
Yoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Shot in the dark but I had a different solution to this same prob:

Same scenario, gas smell, couldn't trace it.
As it turns out, the former owner of my car had a significant stereo in it at some point, as there are leftover amp wires and such. I traced the smell to 2 things, a badly sealed fuel filter, compounded by a large hole in my firewall... the rubber grommet of this large hole (about 2" in diameter) was gone completely. I'm assuming it was to run the power wire in from the battery. Fixed the seal, got a new grommet, no more smell

www.360realms.com/S13-S15
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 06:22 PM   #16
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

statik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to statik Send a message via MSN to statik
Quote:
Originally Posted by idlafie
HAHAHAHA!!!!!.....

If you DITCH the carbon cannister crap, then that's ALL you'll be smelling!!!..the gasoline fumes!!!! The carbon cannister crap you wanna take out keeps the fuel vapors that try to escape from your gas tank IN your gas tank. Remove it & you're be opening up the vacuum lines that recirculate the gasoline fumes back into the gas tank, allowing the gas fumes to escape to the environment. Why the heck do you hear the hissing sound everytime you remove your gas cap when your gas tank is empty. It's the carbon cannister doing it's job!!.....you guys crack me up!!!
hahahaha...
ID
'95 SE
uhh ive been running without a canister for months and ive never smelled gas once, dunno what your talking about