Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
IceMochaBowl

Trader Rating: (-1)
IceMochaBowl is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
s14 part of cluster doesn't work

So my tach, temp gauge, clock, and various lights on the left all work. along with my gas light on the right side.
BUT my speedo, odometer, and gas gauge do not work. and the lights don't turn on to light up the cluster when driving at night. It seems like the left side works, but the right does not. i tried unplugging and replugging the right side to see if it was loose but that didn't help, and the wires all seem so but fine going in to that connection. I took a picture of the back of the cluster hoping someone with more knowledge could help me out. You can see some of those strips running throughout the back seem to look fried. Is that the issue? and is my only option buying a new one?

I have a base model 95 s14. i believe the cluster is from the SE model because i saw part of the cluster says ABS on the back..

i tried attaching an image to the post but im not sure if it will work.

thanks in advance for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1408.jpg (509.9 KB, 12 views)
IceMochaBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2013, 10:55 PM   #2
yes i am the muffin man

Trader Rating: (0)
yes i am the muffin man is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No, your cluster is not replaced - mine has ABS too and it's a 96 base. There is simply nothing leading to it, similar to the ABS fuse.

Odometer goes based on speedo. When speedo is out, so is odo. Vehicle speed sensor is the usual culprit there.

Gas gauge is probably a bad floater.

Mine has both of these problems, albeit the speedo works most of the time. They're on my to-do list
yes i am the muffin man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
IceMochaBowl

Trader Rating: (-1)
IceMochaBowl is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
ohh that makes sense.. the only other thing i can think of that i didn't mention is that my lower engine harness is cut to shreds. but i have a new one that im going to put in asap. if that doesnt do anything then i will move to getting a new speed sensor. thanks for the help!
-clint
IceMochaBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:13 AM   #4
So Make Like
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
So Make Like is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s14 SE model clusters have white gauge faces, iirc. check the bulbs. switch them around with the working ones and try again. if the lights on the "broken" side of the cluster don't work either, then yes, you should get a new cluster. it would mean that those "fried" gold lines in the back are the culprit.
So Make Like is offline   Reply With Quote