Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-04-2015, 10:26 AM   #241
curtdragon

Trader Rating: (0)
curtdragon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Maybe wrenching is fun but def not rebuilding shit that breaks for no reason... been there done that...

That's why have a daily driver and then you have your play car. You can build it yourself or you can have it done. I personally love the driving over the building for sure. There are other things right now that or better used for my time, like I said the actual driving of the car...

Now to the topic at hand, with any motor if it's not being manufactured anymore which the SR20 hasnt since 2002 then of course you're gonna have a lot less support than a motor that is in dozens of car today.
curtdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2015, 11:33 AM   #242
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
kashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I'm pretty sure with pistons, crank and all the appropriate gaskets ready, you could do it in a holiday weekend, but I see where everyone is coming from on this. Basic rebuild with like lapping the valves and replacing the gaskets, putting stuff back together, can be done in a holiday, but something very precise like a meticulously balanced stroker build with all sorts of other variables in play, with machine work would take more time.
I can see where if you had a lot of other obligations you wouldn't really feel like it. I've really only built one engine with myself and some help, and have helped others do so. I suppose without help it would take quite a bit longer.
kashira kureijii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:37 AM   #243
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashira kureijii View Post
I'm pretty sure with pistons, crank and all the appropriate gaskets ready, you could do it in a holiday weekend, but I see where everyone is coming from on this. Basic rebuild with like lapping the valves and replacing the gaskets, putting stuff back together, can be done in a holiday, but something very precise like a meticulously balanced stroker build with all sorts of other variables in play, with machine work would take more time.
I can see where if you had a lot of other obligations you wouldn't really feel like it. I've really only built one engine with myself and some help, and have helped others do so. I suppose without help it would take quite a bit longer.
i have a partially rebuilt SR sitting here that i've been contemplating what to do. its a spare motor, head is fully rebuilt. the block needs to be serviced and i am looking to do it with OEM parts, not some high HP build or anything.

i've been holding onto this for maybe 5-6 months now. fact is, it takes more than a weekend or two... and its going to include cash, a fair amount of it.

so yeah, you're underestimating the time, money and/or skill required to rebuild an engine (properly).
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:41 AM   #244
zeitgeist
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (21)
zeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashira kureijii View Post
maybe your just old? I have a job and school, these count as responsibilities. I'm sorry your baby's momma prevents you from being a true enthusiast.

It doesn't take that long to build an engine bruh, you buy parts, put them in, and then put the engine in. If you have all the parts, you could litrerally do it on a holiday etc. No excuses man
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH.

I knew you were going to come back with a school and job. Wait until you grow up. As much as i like working on my car youll soon find out how much more there is to your small and limited world. There's a reason why all the older guys here agree. Weve all been where you are and done that. Besides if if werent for "old" guys like me, there wouldnt be these badass shops that design all these parts for you to buy.
And my profession isnt vehicles so it would take me 10 times the time it would take for a professional car buiilder to complete what i need. Btw im only 27
zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:45 AM   #245
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

kashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-known
IN A PERFECT WORLD WITH EVERY SINGLE PART NECESSARY PRESENT, ALL MACHINE WORK DONE, AND THE PROPER SETUP, YOU COULD BUILD ONE ON HOLIDAY

Alright jeez I yield
resume old guard activities, and arguing about LS motors on a Nissan forum,

I don't wanna go up against everyone who knows more because it won't end well 4 me
kashira kureijii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:48 AM   #246
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
i have a partially rebuilt SR sitting here that i've been contemplating what to do. its a spare motor, head is fully rebuilt. the block needs to be serviced and i am looking to do it with OEM parts, not some high HP build or anything.

i've been holding onto this for maybe 5-6 months now. fact is, it takes more than a weekend or two... and its going to include cash, a fair amount of it.

so yeah, you're underestimating the time, money and/or skill required to rebuild an engine (properly).
It took me 2 full days to assemble my current KA with all the machine work having been done (rings filed) and an FSM at 17 with limited guidance, in a shop with all tools present.
If you take the time to properly prepare, everything can go fairly quickly if you don't dilly dally.
Now this is strictly building the engine.
Not including pulling, tear down, machine shop(most often the largest chunk of time), rebuild, install, running.
I didn't really read the other posts, so i'm not sure entirely what the discussion is...
Old 11-04-2015, 11:56 AM   #247
JM216S14
Zilvia Junkie

JM216S14 is on a distinguished road
JM216S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:17 PM   #248
derek king
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
derek king will become famous soon enoughderek king will become famous soon enoughderek king will become famous soon enoughderek king will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
You guys know some real good info. Probably should post this thread to Wikipedia.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:11 PM   #249
dbeiler
Zilvia Junkie

dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler
dbeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:16 PM   #250
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
An engine needs to go together as quick as possible to reduce the amount of time it is open to the atmosphere.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:22 PM   #251
dbeiler
Zilvia Junkie

dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler
Absolutely! Nothing is more damaging to a combustion chamber than air from the environment. My engine is fed only the best. Fiji air. I always check the expiration date beforehand just to be safe.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:32 PM   #252
dbeiler
Zilvia Junkie

Just finished my LS swap, bruh. I'm halfway done upgrading to a solid rear axle. Which track bar bushings will get me the most 'Merica? Turbo lag, bruh.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:35 PM   #253
fatduece
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
fatduece is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeiler View Post
Absolutely! Nothing is more damaging to a combustion chamber than air from the environment. My engine is fed only the best. Fiji air. I always check the expiration date beforehand just to be safe.
Lmao

Quote:
Where the hell did you find corbics picture?! I knew that foo had a slack jaw.
fatduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:02 PM   #254
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
open your engine up and let the atmosphere spend a few days with it.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:14 AM   #255
Crazyced
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Crazyced is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
open your engine up and let the atmosphere spend a few days with it.
With or without cleaning the oil that's splattered all over the internals?
Crazyced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:49 AM   #256
drewr4411
Zilvia Junkie

drewr4411 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey everyone.

Getting ready to do a motor swap in the S13 since my SR decided to drop a valve.

Who here has done the LS swap using the T56 or Z33 conversion kit. I more concerned about the Tranny situation, and it being cost effect over anything.

Now that the Z33 tranny conversion for LS is available that may be a better alternative. 350-370-G35-G37 tranny's are available for $500-$1,000.00 from those cars. Were T-56 go for $1500 + all day. if they both break the Z33 is a cheaper alternative. Plus It is more driver friendly then the heavy T56.

I would like people to chime in who have used the T56 and the Z33 tranny kits on their LS swaps.

Thanks,