Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-06-2005, 08:56 AM   #1
Dee240sx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Dee240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Understanding spring rates on other cars

A friend of mine has an 02-03 RSX. He has tein c/o's with EDFC and I believe his spring rates are something like 8f / 10 or 12R. Now i've driven in this car a few times and it actually rides pretty damn comfortable ( even on highways like the Grand Central Parkway - NYC). Certainly something I could deal with. A little bouncy at times but again, totally acceptable.

Now inregards to the 240. The common spring rates for a lot of c/o's are 8/6 to which many consider and suggest might be too stiff for daily driving on NYC/NJ roads. 8/12 or even 8/10 would be considered VERY stiff on a 240 and certain not suggested for daily driving (I don't think i've even seen spring rates that are higher in the rear then in the front for 240's).

My question is why is a car like a RSX with those springs rates not nearly as stiff as a 240 would be with the same rates?

I was hoping to get a good or close enough example of how my s14 would feel with 8/6 rates by driving in his car, but with the higher rates on the RSX, that threw my little experiment for a loop.
Dee240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2005, 10:31 AM   #2
Var
Post Whore!

Var is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Var
Cars with double wishbone suspension have a different effective springrate. You'd need a stiffer spring to get the same feel on a double wishbone. I dunno much about honda's but the RSX may have a rear stiff setup to counter understeer. The comfort level in a car is ALL determined by the rear spring spring rate and shock valving. I have Tein HA's. On a soft setting, they are really comfortable, and on stiff, still daily driveable. 2 different coilovers with the same spring rates can also be dramatically different depending on shock valving. Basically..spring rates dont mean much. It's all in the shocks. WHat kinda coils are you interested in buying?
Old 06-06-2005, 10:35 AM   #3
DocTaDrifT
Zilvia Addict

DocTaDrifT is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to DocTaDrifT Send a message via AIM to DocTaDrifT
i have kei office coils on my car and its so stiff i was gettin sick after driving when i first got them hahaha
Old 06-06-2005, 10:41 AM   #4
orion::S14
Nissanaholic!

orion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud of
A lot of it is in the shocks (ride comfort and smoothness)...

And as it has been said here...the "wheel rate" of a MacPherson setup is the spring rate (8K spring rate = 8k wheel rate). On a Honda (double wishbone), a 10k spring rate will most likelybe a 5k wheel rate.

See the difference?

It all depends on suspension geometry.

- Brian
Old 06-06-2005, 10:48 AM   #5
95Blue240sx
Post Whore!

95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection
Finally a good question that im happy to read.

Anyways it makes a lot of sense. I have HA on my car with 6/5 rates. It set really soft and it still feels everybump on the road. I dont get how some people ride with 8/10 + setups. CRAZY.

Good question though.

Please leave me feedback
95Blue240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 10:50 AM   #6
pruto
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
pruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
geez people, we say this EVERYTIME the question springrate vs. comfort comes up:
ride comfort for a coilover is dependant on spring rate AND valving.

8/6 on a tein feels different than 8/6 on Kei's office at the track, it also feels different on the street as well.

also stiffness is dependant on other suspension components as well, how stiff or mushy the arm joints.

my 9/7 on my apex'i N1 pros felt amazing on the street when i first got them. The ride got worse when i replaced all my rear arms and worse still recently when the shocks are starting to go out.

as for other cars, spring rate choice is sorta based on suspension geometry and the weight and weight distributions of cars. Most double wishbone FF hondas have standard coilover rate of like 8/5 or something since most of the weight is up front. 350Zs on the other hand have a higher standard coilover spring rate than 240s at least partially because of the extra weight.

anyway, to keep pounding the point in. By riding in a car with coilovers, you can not acurately judge the comfort level you should expect in your car with a different set of coilovers, even if it is the same spring rate.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:50 AM   #7
WongFeiHung
Zilvia Member

WongFeiHung is an unknown quantity at this point
The solid RSX chassis probably makes it "feel" more comfortable also...

www.projectnissan.com
WongFeiHung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 11:13 AM   #8
Dee240sx
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by westboroughpimp
Cars with double wishbone suspension have a different effective springrate. You'd need a stiffer spring to get the same feel on a double wishbone. I dunno much about honda's but the RSX may have a rear stiff setup to counter understeer. The comfort level in a car is ALL determined by the rear spring spring rate and shock valving. I have Tein HA's. On a soft setting, they are really comfortable, and on stiff, still daily driveable. 2 different coilovers with the same spring rates can also be dramatically different depending on shock valving. Basically..spring rates dont mean much. It's all in the shocks. WHat kinda coils are you interested in buying?

Alright so using the shock valving as as better way of determining the comfort of daily drivability, what types of shock valving (inverted, monotube, etc - is that correct?) are there? Is one type of shock valving more suitable for comfort instead then another? Is there a way to rate the valving like you see with the spring rates?

Right now i'm considering a few different brands of c/o's (based on few things like price, speaking to people who own them and that I trust their opinions, brand, warranty, rebuildable, etc)

Megan Racing
Silk Road (RM8)
Tein SS
Tein HA
KTS

Megan and KTS being the most afordable and the Tein and Silk Roads being the higher priced brand but come with a great names and a proven track record for themselves. There's more to it that I've been taking into consideration so don't limit this to just price.

Like someone else stated in this thread, I fully understand that upgrading other suspension parts will also affect the comfort of driving. In my last s13 I replaced the bushings in my front end suspension (T/C rods, stb, LCA, etc) with Poly Urethane bushings from PDM. Given my OE bushings were shot to shit the Poly U bushings basically just cleaned up and improved (big time) the sloppy front end. The rich harshness I was already used to.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:15 AM   #9
Dee240sx
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruto
anyway, to keep pounding the point in. By riding in a car with coilovers, you can not acurately judge the comfort level you should expect in your car with a different set of coilovers, even if it is the same spring rate.

My bad for mis-leading, I certainly didn't intend on walking away from riding in my boy's car based on his c/o's knowing what spring rate I wanted. I just trying to use his car as sort of an example.

I need to make it out to some local NJ/NYC meets and take rides in people's cars who are willing to do so.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:20 AM   #10
Var
Post Whore!

Var is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee240sx
Alright so using the shock valving as as better way of determining the comfort of daily drivability, what types of shock valving (inverted, monotube, etc - is that correct?) are there? Is one type of shock valving more suitable for comfort instead then another? Is there a way to rate the valving like you see with the spring rates?

Shock valving isnt the same as monotube, or twin tube, or inverted. Valving is how the shock is built to absorb the road. Some shocks are built for extremely fast piston speed with long travel and soft valving to absorb really bumpy terrain. Some are valved really stiff and matched with really stiff springs and can work with only one inch of shock travel. This is the stuff for the racetrack. Valving is how the shock is "programmed"
Old 06-06-2005, 11:33 AM   #11
Dee240sx
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Shock valving isnt the same as monotube, or twin tube, or inverted. Valving is how the shock is built to absorb the road. Some shocks are built for extremely fast piston speed with long travel and soft valving to absorb really bumpy terrain. Some are valved really stiff and matched with really stiff springs and can work with only one inch of shock travel. This is the stuff for the racetrack. Valving is how the shock is "programmed"
Thank you for clearing that up, but how would I go about finding out how the shocks are setup to perform? Manufacturer website?
Old 06-06-2005, 11:51 AM   #12
Var
Post Whore!

Quote:
Thank you for clearing that up, but how would I go about finding out how the shocks are setup to perform? Manufacturer website?

Most manufacturers will give a description of their products, but it's mostly relative to other stuff that they sell.

Out of the coils you listed, i have ridden in cars with HA(mine) and KTS(bobbyboy) but i didnt really get a chance to feel the KTS on a stiff setting. On half way it was decent..not too stiff not too soft. I think the HA would make a great coil for daily driving if you're concerned about streetability..this is all of couse just my opinion to what is comfortable..and the roads here arent bad so take that into consideration.

The coils you listed.

Tein HA and Tein SS would be my thoughts on street coils.

KTS and Silkroad would be more on the performance side, but this is without riding in a car equipped with them. These are based on their reputations. Unfortunately the only shock dyno out of these that i know of are on the KTS, and if i'm reading them correctly, then they are pretty stiff.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:42 PM   #13
Dee240sx
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Most manufacturers will give a description of their products, but it's mostly relative to other stuff that they sell.

Out of the coils you listed, i have ridden in cars with HA(mine) and KTS(bobbyboy) but i didnt really get a chance to feel the KTS on a stiff setting. On half way it was decent..not too stiff not too soft. I think the HA would make a great coil for daily driving if you're concerned about streetability..this is all of couse just my opinion to what is comfortable..and the roads here arent bad so take that into consideration.

The coils you listed.

Tein HA and Tein SS would be my thoughts on street coils.

KTS and Silkroad would be more on the performance side, but this is without riding in a car equipped with them. These are based on their reputations. Unfortunately the only shock dyno out of these that i know of are on the KTS, and if i'm reading them correctly, then they are pretty stiff.

Since you posted this...

Do you have any preference or opinion on the c/o that Megan Racing just put out?
Old 06-06-2005, 01:52 PM   #14
killjoy
Zilvia Member

killjoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to killjoy
This link shows a load of useful info on suspension and also shows spring rates for almost every manufacturer.

http://texas240sx.com/forums/showthr...?p=677#post677
Old 06-06-2005, 02:29 PM   #15
Var
Post Whore!

Quote:
Since you posted this...

Do you have any preference or opinion on the c/o that Megan Racing just put out?

umm..i dont wanna say anything negative about megan except that i dont know anyone who's opinion i trust about suspension that has said anything good about them. There are people that are happy with them, as there are people that are happy with D2's..and i wouldnt use either of those. But that's me. different people have different needs. Honestly..i would probably go for the KTS *for myself* as a daily driver coilover, and something stiffer for my track car. But then again..the HA's aren't that bad either...and i'm getting by with them for drifting even though they are a lot softer than what the other guys at the track use.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:52 PM   #16
NismoSilvia270R
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
NismoSilvia270R is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NismoSilvia270R
Quote:

idk if you read stuff on corollas, but ive been looking at how those guys make their custom coilover setups and they always talk about getting the right shock for spring.

im wondering how 'too stiff' of springs can blow a shock prematurely. what kind of 'programming' can be used to match shocks and springs? for ex. a line graph that shows what kind of dampening works better with certain springs rates.

also, do shocks blow if their entire stroke isnt being utilized?
NismoSilvia270R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:30 AM   #17
Dee240sx
Leaky Injector

Quote:
umm..i dont wanna say anything negative about megan except that i dont know anyone who's opinion i trust about suspension that has said anything good about them. There are people that are happy with them, as there are people that are happy with D2's..and i wouldnt use either of those. But that's me. different people have different needs. Honestly..i would probably go for the KTS *for myself* as a daily driver coilover, and something stiffer for my track car. But then again..the HA's aren't that bad either...and i'm getting by with them for drifting even though they are a lot softer than what the other guys at the track use.

In defenese of MR. Jeff240sx made that long post about them over here and @ FA. The general consensus seems to be positive about MR c/o's. I've also spoken to a few people who have them and they recommend them.

Bottom line : I need to get my ass in some c/o equipped 240s.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:27 PM   #18
Var
Post Whore!

hey..stupid me for never checking. The tein HA come with 6/5 springs, not 8/6. No wonder my shit is so damn comfortable. Anyways. I think you should go with the HA.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:13 PM   #19
24Dee
Zilvia Member

24Dee is making a name for him/her self24Dee is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
hey..stupid me for never checking. The tein HA come with 6/5 springs, not 8/6. No wonder my shit is so damn comfortable. Anyways. I think you should go with the HA.

How come everywhere i've looked, no one seems to carry Tein HA's

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that Tein wasn't make HA's anymore???

HA's come with camber plates or are they additional?
24Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:27 AM   #20
Var
Post Whore!

any coil is available with. If they are discontinued that's too bad, cause they are an awesome street setup. Also soft enough to absorb fucked up touge's on softer shock settings and stiff enough to drift with.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:32 AM   #21
Dee240sx
Leaky Injector

Quote:
any coil is available with. If they are discontinued that's too bad, cause they are an awesome street setup. Also soft enough to absorb fucked up touge's on softer shock settings and stiff enough to drift with.

What I meant is were camber plates included in the price of the HA?

food for thought : I've recently spoken with someone about the M/R c/o's and he said between the 7/5 Cusco's and 8/6 Apex c/o's he's owned, the M/R were definitely the most comfortable. He also said that they are a very quality built product and great bang for the buck. He lives in my area and drives on the same roads I do.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:38 AM   #22
Nissanaholic!

orion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud of
Camber plates are(were?) included with HE's....but not HA's.

- Brian
Old 06-09-2005, 07:18 AM   #23
TheTicTac
Zilvia Junkie

TheTicTac is a well-known jackass
hmm? I've always thought that the reason that FF have higher rates in the rear was to keep the weight transfer at the front longer. It never occured to me that wheel rates or suspension geometery made a difference, learn something new everyday.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:55 AM   #24
MakotoS13
BANNED

MakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via AIM to MakotoS13
GRAN TURISMO. ever try to tune a fwd car vs a rwd car in that game? the reawr is stiff as hell cause all it does is basically keep the car steady. they NEED stiff rear to help induce oversteer. with rwd cars you have tires that actually do something in the back so the situation is changed dramatically because you now need the body to sit back on its "haunches" under acceleration but not so much that it gets sloppy in a turn.

idunno, i just figure tuning a FWD car is a lot easier due to these observations.
MakotoS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:05 AM   #25
Dee240sx
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion::S14
Camber plates are(were?) included with HE's....but not HA's.

- Brian
Any info on whether or not HA's are discontinued?
Old 06-09-2005, 10:47 AM   #26
Nissanaholic!

Never heard that they were discontinued...

See here: http://www.tein.com/nissan.html - They're still listed for S14.

HE's were supposed to be replaced with some other "drift spec" coilover...and they are no longer listed there.

- Brian
Old 06-09-2005, 11:30 AM   #27
Ian
Post Whore!

Ian is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfection
the HA was replaced by the HE and then the HE was replaced by the "super drift" i believe

i have MR coilovers, i had a small issue w/ one of them breaking on me (shock blew prematurely) so i mailed it back and they replaced it within a week. other then that, great quality for the price. If you CAN afford better ones, do it...I suggest getting MR if there is little possibility of you coming up w/ the extra 400-500 or so to get better ones.

if you have extra money, i hear good things about:
silk road
KTS
Tanabe DD (best ones before you go into super expensive pro stuff)

Team Pterodactyl
SHARK ATTACK!!!
LookOutDrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
No it isn't
This is "cool stickers"
not"let's make our car look like a pile of shit and dead babies"
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 11:38 AM   #28
axiomatik
Post Whore!

axiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfection
There are several reasons why FWD cars have stiffer springs in the rear. First, a stiffer rear spring will reduce weight transfer on acceleration, providing more traction to the front wheels. Second, FWD cars are very nose-heavy, creating more understeer. A stiffer rear suspension reduces understeer and makes the car more neutral.

Also, to address an earlier question, there isn't really an 'ideal' damping level for a given spring rate, since so many people drive so differently and have different ideas on how their car should handle. However, there is an optiomal range. If a damper is too weak (for example, when your shocks are blown), the spring will continues to oscillate for several cycles after hitting a bump, causing unpredictable handling. If a damper is too strong, it will take the spring too long to return to its equilibrium position after hitting a bump, again resulting in unpredictable behavior.
axiomatik is offline   Reply With Quote