Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-09-2005, 12:47 AM   #1
Jcb890
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Jcb890 is making his/her stupidity well-knownJcb890 is making his/her stupidity well-knownJcb890 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jcb890
KYB AGX question

Hey, how do these shocks compare to others and will they hook good at the track? (drag)

I was thinking of running the KYB AGX's with some Tein springs or something, haven't decided yet. Would this setup hook good for the 1/4? Thanks guys.
Jcb890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2005, 06:53 AM   #2
docrice
Zilvia Junkie

docrice is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to docrice
i have agx/stechs and the couple times i dragged mine i had bad wheel hop....probably depends on your settings tho. Regaurdless, 240's aren't really good drag cars anyways...
Old 06-09-2005, 07:08 AM   #3
Jcb890
Zilvia Addict

Jcb890 is making his/her stupidity well-knownJcb890 is making his/her stupidity well-knownJcb890 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrice
i have agx/stechs and the couple times i dragged mine i had bad wheel hop....probably depends on your settings tho. Regaurdless, 240's aren't really good drag cars anyways...
and why would they not be good drag cars?
Old 06-09-2005, 09:32 AM   #4
crioten
"buddy jesus"

crioten is making a name for him/her selfcrioten is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to crioten
oh jesus, dont respond to that, it will start a flame war
I'd rather take the bus with a bus-full of AIDS infected naked rape convicts than drive a VW.
crioten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:35 AM   #5
Saisoku
Leaky Injector

Saisoku is on a distinguished road
I have a set of AGXs on my S13. They are good from what I can see. You can tell there is still some room for improvement but they do the job pretty well if you ask me.
Saisoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:38 AM   #6
Yoshi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
Yoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcb890
and why would they not be good drag cars?
Seriously, use the SEARCH!

At least once a year this comes up and turns into a huge thread

Bottom Line:
ANY car can be made a 1/4 mile star with enough time and $.
If you just want to go fast in a straight line, get a DSM or honda, it's cheaper to go straightline fast w/a civic than a 240 (generally speaking)... for that matter u could get a foxbody 5.0 for really cheap these days and go just as fast as a modded 240 for a fraction of the cost.

There are a few drag 240s, but not many. There are just other platforms better suited to motorsports that require not turning... 240s were built with handling in mind.

Please no more, or this will go down in flames.

www.360realms.com/S13-S15
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:42 AM   #7
Jcb890
Zilvia Addict

actually, a 240 will be about as cheap as any of the suggestions you made.

i know the cars are good at handling, but im mostly looking to have a fun drag and street car, im not going to be auto-xing it or anything most likely.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:28 AM   #8
Yoshi
Post Whore!

Yoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
actually, a 240 will be about as cheap as any of the suggestions you made.

i know the cars are good at handling, but im mostly looking to have a fun drag and street car, im not going to be auto-xing it or anything most likely.
*sigh*
Clearly the old addage that you can lead a horse to water is true.

I'm not going to argue this. I'd say debate, but a debate impies that there is validities on both sides, this is not a debate.

HAD you actually searched, as mentioned above, you'd see that in at least one of those long threads, was a breakdown of cost expenditure versus dyno numbers and 1/4 times. I can't remember what their quarter time/whp goals were, but hte point being, it was a definitive build path that someone took that was FAR cheaper that making the same time/power goals with a 240.

Don't be annoyed cuz what those above (and prolly 90% of zilvians will concur with) doesn't fit with what you hope to achieve. It's your car,do what you want. There's some really fast S14 zero-yon cars in japan, why do they do it? cuz they have the means (read as: $). If that's what u wanna do, go for it. Document the process and prove us wrong.

All I'm saying is that it's all but common knowledge that while the 240 is a capable platform for anything you might want, there are better options for a drag car.

Can we drop it now please? Cuz come to think of it, you're starting to smell like a troll...

edit: and the AGX will be fine for street/occasional drag UNLESS you're one of those kids that has to dump the car. Standard AGX aren't supposed to have more than a 2" drop, as they are not short stroke valved. If you want low, get the purple KYBs, they're the short stroke versions of the AGX... just make sure u get decent springs, or better yet, get some ground control sleeve coilovers to go with them.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:38 AM   #9
Pank
Post Whore!

Pank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfection
the only reason that the 240 wouldnt be a GREAT drag car, would be b/c the IRS, not b/c the engine or chassis.

zenki s14---v8 fc rx7
my crappy flickr page (drift cars whoo)
Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 11:25 AM   #10
Jcb890
Zilvia Addict

i'm not talking a full-out drag car. i'm shooting for 12s or 11s and being realistic about it. Taking into the cost of the car (which I am) I'd like to see a comparisson. I didn't buy a civic because i don't like them, don't really like DSMs too much either. I was gonna wait and get an LS1 next summer, but I got this 240 pretty cheap and its in good condition. Its not all that hard to run 12s in these cars... ~$3500 for a sr20det swap, exhaust, clutch, flywheel, exhaust and tires and you're running 12s.

and no i'm not going to slam my car and definately wont be doing a 2" drop.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:00 PM   #11
Yoshi
Post Whore!

Quote:
I was gonna wait and get an LS1 next summer, but I got this 240 pretty cheap and its in good condition.
LS1 in which platform?
And you went w/the 240?
Dear god man, why?

seems like a GTO would be ideal for your application... I sure wouldn't mind having one to play with, too bad my GTO is a 74
Old 06-09-2005, 12:21 PM   #12
Jcb890
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi
LS1 in which platform?
And you went w/the 240?
Dear god man, why?

seems like a GTO would be ideal for your application... I sure wouldn't mind having one to play with, too bad my GTO is a 74
LS1 in a Camaro... but, i took the cost of the car into consideration. An LS1 with low miles in good shape would be at least $8,000. With $8,000 I could have a 240sx that handles better and is a lot faster, so I went with the 240. Also, I had the money to buy the 240 right away.

A GTO is WAY too much money for me. I'm only 20 and still in college. GTO's are nice, but for the money they are, I'd buy something else. But in any case, the above is why I bought a 240 instead of a Camaro/Firebird w/ the LS1.