Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-31-2006, 01:01 AM   #1
Keebler

Trader Rating: (0)
Keebler can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Paint jobs

How much did your custom paint job cost?
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2006, 01:12 AM   #2
aa87
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
aa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aa87
Prices will vary greatly from shop to shop, 1000-15000+ paintjobs, go get a quote.
aa87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 03:23 AM   #3
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

Wykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really nice
What about the 20/20 and maco guys? I hear a few peeps do the prep work and masking before they hand it over to those guys and receive nothing but product.

It's a good idea if you A.) don't have a booth, B.) lack the skill and don't want runs C.) know how to prep and just don't have the patients to watch paint dry.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:34 AM   #4
ladiesman8527
Zilvia Junkie

ladiesman8527 will become famous soon enoughladiesman8527 will become famous soon enoughladiesman8527 will become famous soon enoughladiesman8527 will become famous soon enough
if u give your car to macco ready to go and spend a couple hundred dollars, you could have a really nice paint job. just make sure u mask EVERYTHING that u dont want painted.
ladiesman8527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:43 AM   #5
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
500 bucks now
used to be 900

2 stage
custom setup
do the prep yourself

now we rent a booth and spray it ourselves
cost? about 500 ish in end with material paint and quality clear coat!

900 when we used to have a shop do it. still did all the prep and making they sprayed and stuff though. cost a tad more because of the aero and such took 2 sessions

a oem style paint jbo will run the 2-4k range
show car 6k

mine's a 10 footer. this shit isnt going to be on the inside of some lame ass car show mag.
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:25 AM   #6
Team Rootbeer
Zilvia Addict

Team Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Team Rootbeer
^ im in the 500 range also, iirc this last spray i did on my car was about 600 even. thats with EVERYTHING i needed.

ppg global product. great stuff.

like everyone says, prepping yourself is key to saving on a paintjob.
and, you learn alot in the process.

o and maaco and stuff like that, they can do good work.
i know some painters for places like that, and most of the time if you flip them cash on the side they will do base/clear on your shit even if you paid for single stage. cool stuff. thats how i used to get stuff painted before i knew how.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodv
90% of the cars posted here are stock or with original rims painted black
I'm not an asshole but is the true..
Team Rootbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:45 AM   #7
UfoZ8myCow
Zilvia FREAK!

UfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond repute
550 bucks at earl scheib with the prep work done before hand and a color change from gray to metallic black. Came out really nice actually.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:47 AM   #8
aa87
Zilvia FREAK!

aa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to aa87
Yeah, motegineon did all the prep work himself, got it sprayed with materials for 1000, oem rx8 red pearl, problem is he painted the aero outside so theres shit in it that need to be wetsanded out, but he said once we get everything mounted he'll take care of it.
aa87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:49 AM   #9
Creizai
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Creizai has a spectacular aura aboutCreizai has a spectacular aura aboutCreizai has a spectacular aura aboutCreizai has a spectacular aura aboutCreizai has a spectacular aura aboutCreizai has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dousan_PG
500 bucks now
used to be 900

2 stage
custom setup
do the prep yourself

now we rent a booth and spray it ourselves
cost? about 500 ish in end with material paint and quality clear coat!

900 when we used to have a shop do it. still did all the prep and making they sprayed and stuff though. cost a tad more because of the aero and such took 2 sessions

a oem style paint jbo will run the 2-4k range
show car 6k

mine's a 10 footer. this shit isnt going to be on the inside of some lame ass car show mag.
I'm pretty much doing the same thing with paint. I would rather have a picture of me at the track going sideways from 10 feet than at the event in the parking lot at 3 feet.

I am probably going to do the Maco stage 2 unless my local shop Painter's Lane will hook me up with a decent deal. Prep and tap off myself.
Creizai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:33 PM   #10
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
yeah thats the way
prep work suuucks
been doing it for 3 hours now
got another..mmm 6 or so left today
also fixing and filing holes (spoiler, 3rd brake, etc) and such
sigh
but got the music going and so time flies. lunch time coming up i think.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:09 PM   #11
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

Wykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really nice
Quote:
yeah thats the way
prep work suuucks
been doing it for 3 hours now
got another..mmm 6 or so left today
also fixing and filing holes (spoiler, 3rd brake, etc) and such
sigh
but got the music going and so time flies. lunch time coming up i think.
Invite some buddies over, pick up an 18'er and blast the shop stereo.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:14 PM   #12
koukimonster139
Zilvia FREAK!

koukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to koukimonster139
^ hell yes.

that is all
Old 12-31-2006, 02:52 PM   #13
Team Rootbeer
Zilvia Addict

Team Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really nice
hey Dousan

how are you filling the holes?
welding solid i hope?
then filler on top for smoothness!

Quote:
Old 12-31-2006, 03:17 PM   #14
driftenthusiast
Zilvia Junkie

driftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to all
Are any of you doing jams as well? I did engine bay and trunk jams and i ran out of time in the booth so my door jams are still gray. Painting the engine bay is the biggest pain in the ass, i wouldnt do it again.
driftenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 03:54 PM   #15
chmercer
BANNED

chmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond repute
im gonna be doing everything but the engine bay on my job
chmercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 03:56 PM   #16
byhi
BANNED

byhi is an unknown quantity at this point
a buddy of mine works for a body shop (4 years), he said if i pay for paint/pearl/and clear he'd do my car for 100 labor, yay for me...

but im a pussbag because im just re-upping the pearl white
byhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:53 PM   #17
eds13
Zilvia FREAK!

eds13 is close to perfectioneds13 is close to perfectioneds13 is close to perfectioneds13 is close to perfectioneds13 is close to perfectioneds13 is close to perfectioneds13 is close to perfectioneds13 is close to perfectioneds13 is close to perfectioneds13 is close to perfectioneds13 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to eds13
same midnight blue color FTW :-D
Old 12-31-2006, 05:30 PM   #18
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tech_Weapons
Invite some buddies over, pick up an 18'er and blast the shop stereo.

noooo sir
everything i do is myself
that way i know it gets done right

welding? no welding here
haha
no welder
spiler holes i just use epoxy some metal behind
worked fine on my last 2 cars
never had a problem
poor man's body work
and honestly, i really dont care
this is just extra. shit i just drift. its nothing needs to be perfect body wise.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:43 PM   #19
Eric240sx1990
Leaky Injector

Eric240sx1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
when i get the free time im going to be painting mine myself. i have a compressor and hvlp sprayer.

You could have a show quality paintjob using spray cans.. you just have to wet sand after every coat. It takes way longer, and will cost you more money in supplies, but the end result really pays off.

But if you dont have the time, sand it down, smooth it out, and tape it up youself, then take it to maaco or something.

2002 F.o.r.d. Focus SVT All-Weather package, Steeda STS, Cool flow, borla catback, 3" ss dowmpipe, H&R cup kit, Front upper and rear upper Focus sport strutbars Focussport 9 mm wires, Denso iridium plugs,
Eric240sx1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 05:56 PM   #20
Team Rootbeer
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
this is just extra. shit i just drift. its nothing needs to be perfect body wise.

werd.

i agree, i was just wondering what people did if they didnt have a welder.

Quote:
Old 12-31-2006, 05:59 PM   #21
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

i wish i could
im still figuring how i can getto setup to start covering up my third brake light
the expoxy method ditn work so well there. hmm gotta figure something out tomorrow.
im tired fo working on cars
Old 12-31-2006, 06:03 PM   #22
koukimonster139
Zilvia FREAK!

koukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to koukimonster139
you could put duct tape behind it and fiberglass it lol

no
dont
Old 12-31-2006, 06:07 PM   #23
Irukandji
Post Whore!

Irukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Irukandji
$500 Earl Scheib

I did all the prep work and drove it there.
Came out really nice, paint is nice and strong. Hasn't chipped or faded and its been a little over a year and a half. It's not the best paintjob, but its definetly worth the money. A lot of people talk trash about Earl Scheib/ Maaco paint jobs, but I really think it depends on the location. I happened to know the painter pretty well (he did all my friends' cars) and mine turned out really good for the price.

$500 + 5-6 hours of sanding, body work.
Irukandji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:20 PM   #24
markyboi
Zilvia FREAK!

markyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to behold
^^^ which earl scheib did u go to?
markyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:26 PM   #25
UfoZ8myCow
Zilvia FREAK!

UfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1sm0r
$500 Earl Scheib
Earl FTW!!!!
Old 12-31-2006, 06:55 PM   #26
EchoOfSilence
Nissanaholic!

EchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to EchoOfSilence
a long time ago, i went to earl scheib

we wetsanded the car, did minor prep
3 weeks later iirc the paint started to chip around the airdam, the color faded and actually wasn't the shade i wanted in the first place. i guess my place sucked, or ES just sucks in general

cheap shit though... look for ads in the paper, they have deals sometimes
Old 12-31-2006, 07:06 PM   #27
Irukandji
Post Whore!

Irukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Irukandji
^ Hrmm.. that's really strange. My paint is still super shiny and doesn't have any chips. I even rolled my fenders AFTER my paintjob (stupid of me) and still no chips (believe it or not, I didn't even use a heatgun, just a shoe).

Anyway, markyboi, I went to the ES in Concord, ca.
Irukandji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 07:15 PM   #28
KA-T_240
Nissanaholic!

KA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond repute
dont know how much mine well cost. The engine bay cost me under $200.

Doing the Hatch and Door jambs this spring/summer
paint is Chrystler Inferno Red Crystal Pearl Coat. Its expensive.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:27 PM   #29
shortandsour
Zilvia Member

shortandsour is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
i wish i could
im still figuring how i can getto setup to start covering up my third brake light
the expoxy method ditn work so well there. hmm gotta figure something out tomorrow.
im tired fo working on cars

take a ball pein hammer roll the edges in a little tape the back side flat grind the area with 36 grit use some kitty hair to cover up the hole sand down little below flush and then put some filler over the top of that.

"Horse power sells cars, Torque wins races."
-Carrol Shelby
shortandsour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:41 PM   #30
ladiesman8527
Zilvia Junkie

ladiesman8527 will become famous soon enoughladiesman8527 will become famous soon enoughladiesman8527 will become famous soon enoughladiesman8527 will become famous soon enough
ive already painted my engine bay. it was a HUGE pain in the ass. now im waiting on aero. when i get it i'll finally get around to painting the rest of the car. im painting the jams, under hatch, under hood, EVERYTHING. ive got some experience so i hope it turns out good. primer is getting old :ghey: ....dont be skurred to get your paint at NAPA. they mix up colors perfectly and their paint is high quality. their prices are good too.
ladiesman8527 is offline   Reply With Quote