Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #31
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
sleepyS14se is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I know that, i am not a dummie. lol

What i am asking is when i search for coilovers it shows me like 50 different brand ones...

what brand and how good of quality would 8-900 dollars get me. It has 262k miles on it and it has all original suspension and brakes. I will also upgrade front brakes eventually but i know it needs suspension parts bad.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #32
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

why is it that only like 2 people are willing to help me. I just would like to say thank you to babyjesus, JR SS, and drifings14 for your help and support, I am honestly not trolling, I am just a new comer to nissans which is a WHOLE different WORLD compared to hondas. :/
Old 07-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #33
240loco
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
240loco is on the path to ruin240loco is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I know a couple people sliding on Stance and others on Ksport....it's really preferable.
And you could slide with a KA....just take care of your suspension and shit first.
As far as brakes go....if you don't want your brake bias all fucked just go Q45 fronts
240loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #34
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
I suggest you go through your entire suspension and replace all the bushings, ball joints and anything else that needs attention. I'm sure brake lines need to be attended too as well. Don't get ahead of yourself, make things reliable before you start modding them. I'm sure owning a Honda is no different.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:37 AM   #35
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
I suggest you go through your entire suspension and replace all the bushings, ball joints and anything else that needs attention. I'm sure brake lines need to be attended too as well. Don't get ahead of yourself, make things reliable before you start modding them. I'm sure owning a Honda is no different.
well i wanna replace all the bushings on the whole chassis but I dont know what brand to go with because i have not had good luck with energy suspension brand bushing on any of my hondas...they deteriorate over a short amount of time. I will do SS brake lines. Ball joints and tie rod ends will be done also.

Are GODSPEED coilovers any good? Meagan? ISIS brand?

I will look into several options because i know it is gonna need good coilovers because i plan on putting some 17x 9/10 or maybe some 18x9 (something in that range)

BTW, I sold a h22a engine i had for 700 and now i have a 97 civic i am selling so between the money from selling both i should be able to get a blacktop s14 sr20det... I am just torn between spending all my money on a sr20det s14 swap or alot of suspension parts
Old 07-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #36
drftngs14
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
drftngs14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ive got ISIS coilovers only cause I got them BNIB for a stupid deal.. I would suggest getting yourself a better brand than the ones listed unless you find a great deal like I did. As far as an SR goes, its my belief that you should build supporting mods first, suspension, brakes, etc before uping power. Get to know the chassis, how it handles, how it drives, how it feels when it breaks loose when least expecting it and THEN start upgrading. I remember when I came from my Jetta to a 240, its a different animal. By no means am I telling you what to do I dont know a thing about you or your experience driving, but Id build the car and make it safe to handle 200+ hp first.
drftngs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #37
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drftngs14 View Post
Ive got ISIS coilovers only cause I got them BNIB for a stupid deal.. I would suggest getting yourself a better brand than the ones listed unless you find a great deal like I did. As far as an SR goes, its my belief that you should build supporting mods first, suspension, brakes, etc before uping power. Get to know the chassis, how it handles, how it drives, how it feels when it breaks loose when least expecting it and THEN start upgrading. I remember when I came from my Jetta to a 240, its a different animal. By no means am I telling you what to do I dont know a thing about you or your experience driving, but Id build the car and make it safe to handle 200+ hp first.
can you post a pic of how your car looks with the isis ones?

also... can someone enlighten me on what 8k and 6k springs are? i always got springs by going by the spring rate in lbs likes 450 fronts and 375 rears etc...

also does putting coilovers on make it to where big wheels will fit the front because it rids the car of the huge fat front springs.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #38
drftngs14
Leaky Injector

Dont mind the body, its in the shop now but here is with the ISIS coilovers..

Old 07-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #39
babyjesus
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
babyjesus is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
lol no problem man, people here are kind of biased when it comes to honda owners going nissan, fact of the matter is that we all have to start somewhere. and why not provide a little guidance towards new comers so that we can keep the stereo type from populating.

jr ss is right. take care of maintenance stuff before you go and start modding. since your pretty new to this you won't NEED any fancy suspension setup as others may suggest. I personally have had really good luck with megan and would recommend them.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #40
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
I have never used godspeed, Megan or ISIS, but what I can tell you is they are cheap components and do not have the best parts on them. Typically I hear about their pieces or components of those pieces failing.

Save your money, buy something that has some R&D behind it. There are plenty of review threads or threads in general discussing these components.

As for bushing, you're going to have a hard time finding rubber/polyurethane replacement bushings for the chassis. Nismo offers better than OE quality replacement bushings but you'll pay for them.

I suggest you sit down and read. Do some research before doing a bunch of impulse purchases on crap you don't need or want and are of shoddy materials and craftsmanship.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #41
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
I have never used godspeed, Megan or ISIS, but what I can tell you is they are cheap components and do not have the best parts on them. Typically I hear about their pieces or components of those pieces failing.

Save your money, buy something that has some R&D behind it. There are plenty of review threads or threads in general discussing these components.

As for bushing, you're going to have a hard time finding rubber/polyurethane replacement bushings for the chassis. Nismo offers better than OE quality replacement bushings but you'll pay for them.

I suggest you sit down and read. Do some research before doing a bunch of impulse purchases on crap you don't need or want and are of shoddy materials and craftsmanship.
damn you would think spending 7-900 bucks you would get decent stuff...

so if i were to buy regular like tokico blues and springs i wouldn't be able to fit bigger wheels and tires on it because of the retarded front springs are like the circumference of a damn basketball...

Being i have the whole engine and trans to go in it and i have my pedals and crossmember coming i basically just wanna do something to the chassis to get it in "better than new" (meaning i want improved handling and replace all needed parts to make the chassis ready for anything i throw at it)

bushings i will take care of...ball joints, tie rod ends, and misc chassis/steering parts etc... but the struts/springs have got to go..... and i need to know what the best decent coilovers i can get for 1k.... i am leaning toward meagan or isis...just because i am a beginner and can upgrade later but need somehting decent to get my by for atleast 2-3 years...
Old 07-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #42
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drftngs14 View Post
Dont mind the body, its in the shop now but here is with the ISIS coilovers..

holy fcuk! will my car sit that low??!! with the isis?

I want it low but zomg that thing is on the ground dude!!
Old 07-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #43
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyjesus View Post
lol no problem man, people here are kind of biased when it comes to honda owners going nissan, fact of the matter is that we all have to start somewhere. and why not provide a little guidance towards new comers so that we can keep the stereo type from populating.

jr ss is right. take care of maintenance stuff before you go and start modding. since your pretty new to this you won't NEED any fancy suspension setup as others may suggest. I personally have had really good luck with megan and would recommend them.
thank you for your patience as well as the other select few (basically everyone in this thread for helping me.)
Old 07-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #44
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

I am sorry about being all over the place with my ?'s i do get ahead of myself sometimes...

In honda land funtion & form coilovers are kick ass... i found these F&F for like 830 bucks...

what do you guys think....function n form yay or nay..and yes i am reading info on suspension faqs but i am conversating with you guys so thats why i wanna know your personal ideas
Old 07-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #45
babyjesus
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
babyjesus is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
a friend of mine had f&f's he said he like them..if you're looking for brand new coils I hear good things about fortune auto's. some stance's can be had for about 1k, I liked the way those felt.

if you can manage to find some used, not blown, "good" coils at a good price I wouldn't cut them out of the equation. I was lucky enough to find some used HKS coils at an awesome price and I can truly say they are worlds away in quality compared to most coils. I love them, sadly though they do not go that low.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #46
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

ok i think i may go for the F&F ones...they look like a happy medium good mid grade choice for me...

I wanna make this thing handle really good before i throw a sr20 or rb25 in it
Old 07-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #47
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Fortune Auto and PBM's are pretty much it for beginner/entry level coilovers.

Your logic of "I'm a beginner, I can upgrade later" is crap. Why spend money twice, when you can save for an extra month and get decent components? It just makes no sense.

I'm sure you've seen this; cheap, fast, reliable, chose two... Typically, cheap doesn't fall into one of those two. Get your car running and driving before spending money on pieces that do not matter at this point of your "build".
Old 07-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #48
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

i cannot afford PBM or fortune....

I guess all i can do is f&f because of moneys.... i would love to save up and get them but when my wife sees the purchase of F&F's for 831$ she is gonna kick me outta the house for 2 days atleast..lol..

I am thinking about doing overlays for the rear qtrs but i feel awful cutting my qtrs and riveting on new overlays...i am just so scattered on what i am doing...

I do however have a good bit of comfort knowing i have Everything i need coming in the mail (s14 pedals coming from a guy in thailand, and a s13 5spd X member coming from somewhere here in the states)
Old 07-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #49
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Like I said, condense and organize. You don't need all that crap right now. Get the damn thing running and drivable.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #50
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

Here's my white 240. I just removed the passenger side fender because it was aftermarket. Low quality. And the drivers side was a little damaged so I put mint cond dark green oem Nissan fenders on it today.

Please excuse the filth. I have not washed it yet.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #51
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

got the front bumper on it and all buttoned up..everything lines up perfect except the little baby grille that goes between bumper n hood...

should i do a build thread?? if so is there a certain section or... :/
Old 07-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #52
drftngs14
Leaky Injector

Defintely do no start a build thread until its finished.. or at least driving and put together, you will get bashed and probably have the thread locked.. Best way is keep a folder on your comp for yourself, ask questions in the small questions thread and do tons, tons and tons more research. Id get the thing driveable, reliable and replace everything that it needs before considering over fenders. I know how you feel, there is so much to do so much you want but the reality is, in your words, is the funds arent there.. Take your time and do it right, the ONLY reason I picked up those coils is cause I bought them BNIB for less then $400, are they bad no but they arent what I was going to get. Im using these cause the stocks were shot and different heights, so getting around to body shop and what not. As jr ss said, do it right, first time else you'll spend $$ you dont need. Watch the for sale thread for suspension arms, coils, brakes, everything.. You WILL find it there, just takes time and you have to go thru and read what people have, make offers and keep track of things..
Old 07-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #53
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

how come your front fender is much lower than the door? what happened?? i see alot of 240s fenders are like all over the place..up to high,,down low...like alignment is off whats causing this to happen to 240s??
Old 07-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #54
drftngs14
Leaky Injector

Its not even bolted on.. Just did a quick mock with the old fender to see ride height, I actually raised it about 1/2", it was even lower than that at one point.. Its in the body shop now, just got navan stuff, should be a couple weeks, its rough so when its done Ill post some pics.. Also doing 5 speed swap and found everything on this site and one other site, just look
Old 07-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #55
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

im doing a 5speed swap too, but see my white 240 has a ka24de and auto in it now and it looks like someone attempted to take the engine apart with the engine IN the car and they gave up...lol

BTW, what do you guys think about my white 240sx?? does it look like a jdm full blown d1 race car or what?!! lol jk

but seriously what do you guys think about my 240?
Old 07-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #56
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

duplicate post. please disregard this post

Last edited by sleepyS14se; 07-16-2013 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: double posted
sleepyS14se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #57
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyS14se View Post
but seriously what do you guys think about my 240?
Don't ask questions you aren't going to like the answer to.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:56 PM   #58
drifter92
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (27)
drifter92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Hey man this is Dean who sold you the trans crossmember, good luck with the build and contact me if you need anything!
Old 07-16-2013, 06:54 AM   #59
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Don't ask questions you aren't going to like the answer to.
LOL what??!

its still in stock form lol...

i thought it was pretty nice for a old 240sx...interior is pristine and the body has no dents or dings or any damage anywhere
Old 07-16-2013, 08:17 AM   #60
jr_ss
Post Whore!

1. It's not THAT old.
2. It's missing a bumper, grill, lights and your rear bumper is hanging off.
3. It's multi colored and dirty as shit.
4. It doesn't run, nor have a motor in it.
5. Clean it up, make it run and it won't appear to be a POS.
6. Converted Honda owners....

Comments made should be take as opinions. Don't get butt hurt based on my evaluation. Make it run, clean it up and I'm sure it'll be a nice car.