Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-22-2005, 01:39 PM   #1
tastyratz
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
tastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tastyratz
driving a regular auto like a stick, why is it bad?

ok so I was wondering. everywhere I read and everyone tells me its a bad idea, why is it? im in the middle of a 5 sp conversion and I drive my car like a stick by just using the 1,2,d,d with overdrive on. i could care less about this tranny since it wont be there long but id like someone to school me on this concept...
Old 06-22-2005, 01:51 PM   #2
theronin
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
theronin is close to perfectiontheronin is close to perfectiontheronin is close to perfectiontheronin is close to perfectiontheronin is close to perfectiontheronin is close to perfectiontheronin is close to perfectiontheronin is close to perfectiontheronin is close to perfectiontheronin is close to perfectiontheronin is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to theronin
to me it just screams ricer who cant drive a stick, so he has to pose like he can.

It just screams, "Hey, I'm a fucking Christmas Tree. What are you gonna do about it?"
theronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 01:57 PM   #3
JuJuBee
Zilvia Member

JuJuBee is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by theronin
to me it just screams ricer who cant drive a stick, so he has to pose like he can.
10 characters.
JuJuBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 01:59 PM   #4
tastyratz
Zilvia Addict

tastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to behold
to me it screams i cant wait till my 5 speed swap and hate the driving charecturistics of an auto, and the aem ems im running doesnt support autos so I have to get it to work however I can while I tune it and get things up and running for now. ive got half the conversion done, im just waiting on lift time so I can get underneath the thing. i just dont want my tranny to drop for now. also im just flat out curious
Old 06-22-2005, 02:04 PM   #5
Pank
Post Whore!

Pank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfection
its a bad idea since you're fucking up the factory shift points that were set by...you know, HIGHLY PAID JAPANESE ENGINEERS. finish your 5spd swap and let the auto do its job, you're not going any faster by shifting yourself, and that should be the only reason you do it.

zenki s14---v8 fc rx7
my crappy flickr page (drift cars whoo)
Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 02:24 PM   #6
kandyflip445
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
kandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kandyflip445
HAHA. Those 'highly paid engineers' go for gas mileage. If your tranny fluid isn't burnt or black it will be fine and won't hurt.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:31 PM   #7
m0rex
Zilvia FREAK!

m0rex is on a distinguished road
I dont think it hurts it. I did it for about 6 months and its still good. Feels the same the only reason i did it was because i hate where auto shifts at. I even downshifted it everywhere from d to 2 to 1 to engine break when i had to stop and it was from like really high rpms. Never had any problems and never experienced any new clickings, sounds, or anything from the tranny.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:58 PM   #8
reefer1114
Zilvia Addict

reefer1114 is an unknown quantity at this point
its funny when people who drive autos try to make it seem like their car is stick. especially when they have loud ass rice exhaust. im not bagging on you, you can do whatever you want. i think its just funny. i suggest getting your swap done asap.
reefer1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:05 PM   #9
dannyboi
Zilvia Member

dannyboi is making a name for him/her selfdannyboi is making a name for him/her self
Actually I knew a guy who drove like that with his Eclipse.... ended up blowing up his engine.....
Old 06-22-2005, 03:21 PM   #10
kandyflip445
Post Whore!

kandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to kandyflip445
Yeah. Right. I was his transmission.....
Old 06-22-2005, 03:25 PM   #11
infinitexsound
Post Whore!

infinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond repute
drive it like u stole it... if your tranny bust.. then feel sorry for yourself
Old 06-22-2005, 03:47 PM   #12
m0rex
Zilvia FREAK!

Yup get that 5 speed in fast. I hated gaymatic. Then when i had gotten my tranny and most of the stuff for my 5 speed swap i started fucking with my auto tranny as much as possible. Doing n drops and downshifting like a mofo. Nothing ever happen to it so i said fuck it and started the 5 speed conversion.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:25 PM   #13
tastyratz
Zilvia Addict

ive got the pedal and lines in and everything... plus I have all the parts.... i just need to get some lift time to drop that sucka and do the swap! im tuning the ems right now and with it in. i rigged it to work but im in the autos 4th gear by 23mph.... makes it hard to drive.... so I have to drive it autostick style for now. its not even about my car though I hate the car shifting when it feels like it I want to be in control of my gear and powerband when I want. i drive other peoples cars and not everyone drives stick but i never drove it that way because i hear its bad for the tranny, i just wanna know why
Old 06-22-2005, 04:56 PM   #14
ZK
Zilvia FREAK!

ZK is making a name for him/her selfZK is making a name for him/her selfZK is making a name for him/her self
I remember "power shifting" automatics... haha

Really, there isn't much point to do it, the automatic shifts at the right places for you already. If you push the pedal harder it should shift at a higher RPM. You want to dump a gear just give it more gas and it will downshift for you.

I hate guys in automatics who pop it in neutral to rev at you and then back into D. Back in the day, I had a friend who used to let off the gas between shifts so you don't hear the auto shifting... damn, that was like 10 years ago.
ZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 05:58 PM   #15
tastyratz
Zilvia Addict

i was just explaining though that i have to shift this way because the ems is not properly controlling my shifts so if I dont im in 4th gear by 23mph. read. i shift that way now out of need, but I also just plain dont like the auto feel. i got the car cuz it was cheap with 68k on the clock with a 5 sp conversion in mind
Old 06-22-2005, 06:10 PM   #16
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZK
Really, there isn't much point to do it.
there is

you can engine brake by using the gear selector

you can also rev-match downshift by popping it into neutral, revving, then dropping it into the next gear

i don't think any of this is very good for the transmission though
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 07:33 PM   #17
prophet_19
Zilvia Member

prophet_19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to prophet_19
its automatic......
prophet_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 07:41 PM   #18
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by prophet_19
its automatic......
if you're responding to me

yes, you can do all that i said above using an auto tranny
Old 06-22-2005, 07:53 PM   #19
zenkiDori
Zilvia Junkie

zenkiDori is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to zenkiDori
every racing technique book i've read(all two of them) have said it's perfectly fine to shift your auto, in fact that's why there are different "gears" on an auto. Bob Bondurant highly recommends shifting your auto.

my S14 was auto for quite some time, one thing i did was unplug a little connector thing near the driver side fender that made shifts much faster than normal. also i took Bob's advice and started shifting my auto during serious driving, worked out splendidly. the only drawback is that i puts extra stress on your tranny and heats it up faster.

in the end the manual swap isn't difficult, just time consuming. it's well worth it but in the meantime use what you have.

Zenki FC3S
Zenki RHS13
zenkiDori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 07:30 AM   #20
publicenemy137
Zilvia Junkie

publicenemy137 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to publicenemy137
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkiDori
every racing technique book i've read(all two of them) have said it's perfectly fine to shift your auto, in fact that's why there are different "gears" on an auto. Bob Bondurant highly recommends shifting your auto.
does this put stress on the transmission also?

CLICK HERE TO SEE MY CARDOMAIN!

help me decide my next set of rims
publicenemy137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 11:56 AM   #21
nismo2491
Zilvia FREAK!

nismo2491 is making a name for him/her selfnismo2491 is making a name for him/her self
bob bondurant's school never once mentioned shifting an automatic to me...
Old 06-23-2005, 12:34 PM   #22
bp057
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
bp057 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bp057 Send a message via MSN to bp057
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznpoopy
you can also rev-match downshift by popping it into neutral, revving, then dropping it into the next gear

Uhhh.....

edit: Just for clarification, Im not wondering how its done or anything, but rather who the hell would actually do this to their car. Dont take this the wrong way, but that is the lamest crap Ive ever heard. Forget about the whole bad for my car thing, this has to slow you down like mad (if your racing up and down through gears) . Not to mention that your gonna take your eyes off the road to look at the shifter. Just push the damn pedal and go, you bought it, deal with it.

Sorry for the rant. Carry on.

Edited again

Last edited by bp057; 06-23-2005 at 02:26 PM..
bp057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 12:44 PM   #23
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp057
Uhhh.....
jesus christ

autotransmission has a 'neutral' selector

it also has 'gears' 2,3, etc

say you are in 3rd gear and want to downshift to second

move the auto selector from 3rd to neutral
rev the engine to proper rpms
move the auto selector from neutral to 2nd

the engine will 'catch' smoothly and engine brake if you dont apply throttle

before you ask, no my car is not auto, i have driven auto maybe 5 times in my entire life, i am 24 and been driving stick since i was 16, thank you
Old 06-23-2005, 01:01 PM   #24
JaeTea
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
JaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JaeTea
Quote:
autotransmission has a 'neutral' selector

it also has 'gears' 2,3, etc

say you are in 3rd gear and want to downshift to second

move the auto selector from 3rd to neutral
rev the engine to proper rpms
move the auto selector from neutral to 2nd
JaeTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 01:06 PM   #25
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

last comment for me
if you guys want to try it go ahead
i have no clue how 'harsh' it is on a auto tranny

my buddy took an old neon to a HPDE "just for kicks"
it was auto
this is how the instructor taught him to drive the car
shifting it pseudo manually
and downshifting in this manner utilizing engine braking (ideally while left foot braking)
i have sat in another car where this is done as well

go ahead and try it if you have an auto car sitting around

edit: just saw your edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp057
this has to slow your acceleration like mad
do you downshift in a racing context for any other reason? if you have to downshift to accel harder, you weren't keeping your car in the proper rpm range through the gears.

the purpose of auto revmatch downshifting is same as manual downshift revmatch. to keep the car in proper rpm range, while braking, without upsetting the balance by with jerky motions.

Last edited by aznpoopy; 06-23-2005 at 01:32 PM..
Old 06-23-2005, 01:26 PM   #26
m0rex
Zilvia FREAK!

These tranny take a lot of shit. I think your engine will go before your tranny.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:24 PM   #27
bp057
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
bp057 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bp057 Send a message via MSN to bp057
Quote:
do you downshift in a racing context for any other reason? if you have to downshift to accel harder, you weren't keeping your car in the proper rpm range through the gears.

Maybe I should reword that. Point I was trying to reach is this, try shifting your car like this, while actually running, not driving down the street to the store. Go to a canyon, or a track, try this stuff and youll be wasted by everything out there. Not whippin out the hate on ya man, just seems illogical and slower. But, Im wierd like that.
bp057 is offline   Reply With Quote