Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #421
oni jake
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
oni jake is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGJERRYC View Post
RB motors dont even fit in 240sx's.... i dont know where you all got your information....
x2! The rest of you idiots are idiot stupid faces. Stupid
oni jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2009, 09:40 PM   #422
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGJERRYC View Post
RB motors dont even fit in 240sx's.... i dont know where you all got your information....
Quote:
Originally Posted by oni jake View Post
x2! The rest of you idiots are idiot stupid faces. Stupid
I know! Optical illusion!!!! ZOMG!

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #423
951's 330i
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
951's 330i is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Ok back with a question, hope i can get an answer or some ideas

OK have a RB25 that i bought a lil while back. After putting a 3in straight pipe( the piping on there was welded on and it blew off the day after i bought it) i noticed that when i push the gas pedal all the way down, the car seems to "choke" or hesitate on wanting to go.

I know it did it before i put the exhaust on just i couldnt notice it as much since the dam pipe was hanging. The feeling is as like it wants to go, but it chokes, like as if it wants to die out or something. I thought maybe the MAFS but i never checked it till the other day when i was forced to because the car wouldnt start which is when i saw that the thing was filthy black, as well as the piping.

My questions are i guess are:
Could it be the turbo giving out?
Do i need bigger piping then 3 inch?
Maybe i need a better tune or something (Car only has AVCR and the SAFC from Apexi).

New to turbo cars and extremely new to this motor so any help would be appreciated.

Im thinking of just doing a complete tune up to see if that helps since i think nothing was changed when swap was done.
If needed i can meet someone that knows somethings about the motor for a first hand experience or i can just record it and post it on here. LMK thanks
951's 330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:17 PM   #424
clark
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
clark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 951's 330i View Post
Ok back with a question, hope i can get an answer or some ideas

OK have a RB25 that i bought a lil while back. After putting a 3in straight pipe( the piping on there was welded on and it blew off the day after i bought it) i noticed that when i push the gas pedal all the way down, the car seems to "choke" or hesitate on wanting to go.

I know it did it before i put the exhaust on just i couldnt notice it as much since the dam pipe was hanging. The feeling is as like it wants to go, but it chokes, like as if it wants to die out or something. I thought maybe the MAFS but i never checked it till the other day when i was forced to because the car wouldnt start which is when i saw that the thing was filthy black, as well as the piping.

My questions are i guess are:
Could it be the turbo giving out?
Do i need bigger piping then 3 inch?
Maybe i need a better tune or something (Car only has AVCR and the SAFC from Apexi).

New to turbo cars and extremely new to this motor so any help would be appreciated.

Im thinking of just doing a complete tune up to see if that helps since i think nothing was changed when swap was done.
If needed i can meet someone that knows somethings about the motor for a first hand experience or i can just record it and post it on here. LMK thanks
well what is your boost going to when it starts bogging??

what fuel pump you have?

what spark plugs you have?

what fuel filter you have?
clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #425
951's 330i
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark View Post
well what is your boost going to when it starts bogging??

what fuel pump you have?

what spark plugs you have?

what fuel filter you have?
From what i was told everything was stock engine wise. Heres some info from the for sale thread:
Engine/Drivetrain:
• R33 RB25DET
• greddy intake mani
• greddy vspl intercooler
• q45 tb
• hks intake

Not sure on the filter or the fuel pump. Forgot what he told me.

Edit: I think both filter and pump are from z32

Last edited by 951's 330i; 12-06-2009 at 04:11 PM..
Old 12-06-2009, 02:17 PM   #426
eklips3
Zilvia Addict

eklips3 is an unknown quantity at this point
what does your boost guage say at idle ?

i you are bogging a little from a start it might be due to a vacuum leak/boost leak or a faulty maf.

pick up some electrical contact cleaner or Sensorkleen and go nuts on the inside of the maf. dont use break cleaner because that stuff will leave microscopic crystals and fuck up the Maf sensor.

1992 240sx (RB20. 362whp@16psi)
eklips3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:50 PM   #427
clark
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
clark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
well you need to check, you gonna trust some random fruitcake you don't know?
clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:11 PM   #428
951's 330i
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklips3 View Post

i you are bogging a little from a start it might be due to a vacuum leak/boost leak or a faulty maf.

pick up some electrical contact cleaner or Sensorkleen and go nuts on the inside of the maf. dont use break cleaner because that stuff will leave microscopic crystals and fuck up the Maf sensor.
I bought some MAFS cleaner spray from autozone which is how i found all that crap in the sensor, looked like diarhea when it came out lol.

Dont have a boost gauge other then the AVCR boost controller. That at idle is usually -450 to -390. I know its in bar format i think or forgot the exact name of measurement that it uses.

Also another problem with the car is my electronics turn off. To be more specific my stereo, wipers, the cigarette lighter, and the light for the time turns off at random. I think it might be something with the starter because when i hooked up the turbo timer, the same thing started happening to it as well, turning off and then on at times.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:25 PM   #429
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Quote:
I bought some MAFS cleaner spray from autozone which is how i found all that crap in the sensor, looked like diarhea when it came out lol.

Dont have a boost gauge other then the AVCR boost controller. That at idle is usually -450 to -390. I know its in bar format i think or forgot the exact name of measurement that it uses.

Also another problem with the car is my electronics turn off. To be more specific my stereo, wipers, the cigarette lighter, and the light for the time turns off at random. I think it might be something with the starter because when i hooked up the turbo timer, the same thing started happening to it as well, turning off and then on at times.
Sounds like you have a problem with your ignition harness. Pull the plastic steering column apart and follow the thick wires from the ignition back under the dash. I'm guessing you'll see former (or current lol) hackjob wiring in there.

All those things you mentioned are on the ignition terminal that's designed to turn on at ACC and ON and turn off when cranking (START). Could be that your actual ignition is bad, but I've never seen that before.

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 12-06-2009, 10:33 PM   #430
951's 330i
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Sounds like you have a problem with your ignition harness. Pull the plastic steering column apart and follow the thick wires from the ignition back under the dash. I'm guessing you'll see former (or current lol) hackjob wiring in there.

All those things you mentioned are on the ignition terminal that's designed to turn on at ACC and ON and turn off when cranking (START). Could be that your actual ignition is bad, but I've never seen that before.
Thats what i pretty much thought was the problem. Imma have to look over all of that but the think is the wiring is crazy. Especially when you look right of where the pedals are at lol

As for the choking, imma just try to do a whole tune up.

Things to change:
Whole new timing belt kit.
Spark plugs
Fuel filter
Engine Oil
Transmission fluid
Oil Filter

After changing some of these things doesnt fix it then ill probably start looking into a new fuel pump and MAFS and then a decent tune. Or just get a whole new freaking turbo while im at it lol

Can i get some advice on the spark plugs, oil filter and transmission fluid? I thing for engine oil ill just go royal purple unless you guys think theres something better. Imma do a search right now on all of this again since i dont remember off the top of my head Thanks for the help guys
Old 12-06-2009, 10:39 PM   #431
951's 330i
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:

Its bogs mainly after it warms ups, or driving around for a while, it randomly does it when i first start it but i always give it at least five minutes to warm up with the cold starts.

Also im not sure if this is what you guys call surging, but when i hit boost, and then let go off the gas, you hear like a studder of air from the turbo and the regular noise from the BOV. Is it normal to hear that? Lol let me see if i can explain this

Left side when it spools and then i let go you hear a sh-sh-sh-sh while on the right where the BOV is u just hear the whistle. This is of course if your sitting in the car.

Not sure if thats what you call a surge or not or maybe a leak. I think i will record that an post it on here tomorrow so u guys no what i mean.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:42 PM   #432
951's 330i
Zilvia Junkie

After quick search for spark plugs got this

BCPR7ES for copper or BCPR7EIX for iridium. Oil filter same as a ka?
Old 12-07-2009, 01:41 AM   #433
eklips3
Zilvia Addict

oil filter is the same as KA . part number for fram oil filter is CPH-3682, you can cross reference any oil filter from that. best in my opinion is the K&N oil filter, part # for that is HP-2008.

transmission fluid , just buy whateveryou like as long as its MT-90 Tranny Fluid. I use redline transmission fluid in my car.

as for that studder its fine. same thing happens to me , i love the sound , its just the sound of your turbo spinning backwards. its not really that big of an issue when you're not boosting hard.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:33 AM   #434
951's 330i
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
oil filter is the same as KA . part number for fram oil filter is CPH-3682, you can cross reference any oil filter from that. best in my opinion is the K&N oil filter, part # for that is HP-2008.

transmission fluid , just buy whateveryou like as long as its MT-90 Tranny Fluid. I use redline transmission fluid in my car.

as for that studder its fine. same thing happens to me , i love the sound , its just the sound of your turbo spinning backwards. its not really that big of an issue when you're not boosting hard.
Thanks man appreciate it. For the engine oil should I use 10w40 since miles are high? And yeah I love that sound to just a buddy said it's weird and shouldn't do that. Lol I think of it as the car laughing at people lmao
Old 12-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #435
eklips3
Zilvia Addict

use whatever oil you like , i guess if your in california cold weather isint an issue for you.

i use 10w30 . i didnt bother toying around with different viscosities.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:36 AM   #436
951's 330i
Zilvia Junkie

Ok so i forgot to ask how many bottles of Transmission fluid i need. Autozone didnt carry redline so i got volvoline or w.e. its called. and for spark plugs they didnt have the part numbers given, she gave me some different ones, part # BKR5EIK-11 5464 Iridium. Thanks

Edit: THe ones they didnt have were the iridium. But imma just go back and ask for the copper ones instead hopefully they have those instead. Also for the transmission fluid i think 5 bottles will be enough? Not sure but let me know if anything thanks everyone

Last edited by 951's 330i; 12-11-2009 at 10:52 AM..
Old 12-12-2009, 05:34 PM   #437
eklips3
Zilvia Addict

5 bottles of tranny fluid is alot . you only need about 3 quarts .

if you are using copper plugs then just make sure to check them often because they dont last as long as iridiums .
there is a lot of debate about what type of spark plugs to use , sometimes i hear to only use copper or to only use iridium. again comes down to experimenting. just make sure to use the proper heat range. imo 7 is a good range.

so next time you go in there just ask for NGK BKR7E

Old 12-12-2009, 07:42 PM   #438
951's 330i
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
5 bottles of tranny fluid is alot . you only need about 3 quarts .

if you are using copper plugs then just make sure to check them often because they dont last as long as iridiums .
there is a lot of debate about what type of spark plugs to use , sometimes i hear to only use copper or to only use iridium. again comes down to experimenting. just make sure to use the proper heat range. imo 7 is a good range.

so next time you go in there just ask for NGK BKR7E
actually i just went back yesterday to change them to the ones you mentioned. And i only have 3 quarts but guy there thought five bottles of it would of been good so thats why i was asking. THanks
Old 12-13-2009, 02:38 AM   #439
SilS13Coupe
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
SilS13Coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Any info on the basic maintenance on these RB engines? Which oil filter to use and such?
SilS13Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:51 AM   #440
DJDANGER24
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
DJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJDANGER24 Send a message via MSN to DJDANGER24 Send a message via Yahoo to DJDANGER24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilS13Coupe View Post
Any info on the basic maintenance on these RB engines? Which oil filter to use and such?
did you even bother to scroll up to find out ? search this thread, and if you cant find it, then ask.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #441
SilS13Coupe
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
SilS13Coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDANGER24 View Post
did you even bother to scroll up to find out ? search this thread, and if you cant find it, then ask.
Too tired last night. Oopps.
SilS13Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #442
951's 330i
Zilvia Junkie

Ok quick question and hope someone can answer before any store closes. As my cousin was putting back the bolt for the oil pan, it snapped on him(really pissed right now). WOndering if there is another bolt that can fit it like at autozone or something? ANyone know please let me know, imma search online but hopefulyy someone can answer asap. thanks
Old 12-13-2009, 07:32 PM   #443
eklips3
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Ok quick question and hope someone can answer before any store closes. As my cousin was putting back the bolt for the oil pan, it snapped on him(really pissed right now). WOndering if there is another bolt that can fit it like at autozone or something? ANyone know please let me know, imma search online but hopefulyy someone can answer asap. thanks

the oil pan bolt as in one of the other 30 that hold the oil pan on ? or the bolt that enables you to drain the oil ?

the bolts that hold on the oil pan are very short 10mm bolts not too sure about the thread pitch , all nissan bolts are pretty much fine threaded.

the bolt that drains the oil .. wild guess here , maybe a KA one will fit ? i donno , worth a try though

Old 12-13-2009, 07:50 PM   #444
951's 330i
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
the oil pan bolt as in one of the other 30 that hold the oil pan on ? or the bolt that enables you to drain the oil ?

the bolts that hold on the oil pan are very short 10mm bolts not too sure about the thread pitch , all nissan bolts are pretty much fine threaded.

the bolt that drains the oil .. wild guess here , maybe a KA one will fit ? i donno , worth a try though
My bad, yeah the bolt that drains the oil. Ill try that, hopefully its it. I just need to try to take out the part thats in there. Dam lol
Old 12-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #445
951's 330i
Zilvia Junkie

Ok i found the problem for sure on the studdering. Its the MAFS. Car wont even let me get past 2300R.P.M now. Can i just get any year 300zx MAFS? Cause when i went to autozone they didnt know what a z32 MAFS was. I think its a 90+ for the the n62 one right? Thanks
Old 12-14-2009, 11:58 AM   #446
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

I realized this weekend that the ignition pinouts for the RB25DE/DET FSM and the translated Japanese ECCS schematic I have are different ~ since I couldn't match up wire colors (redid the whole harness in Mil-spec ETFE wire), I had to go to pinouts, and the Austrailian FSM is correct, not the translated electrical schematic. I'll post them both up when I get home tonight.

Quote:
My bad, yeah the bolt that drains the oil. Ill try that, hopefully its it. I just need to try to take out the part thats in there. Dam lol
Oil drain is standard for all similar-model-year Nissans. I recommend an NRG/Parts Shop Max/or similar magnetic oil drain plug, they're like $10.

Quote:
Ok i found the problem for sure on the studdering. Its the MAFS. Car wont even let me get past 2300R.P.M now. Can i just get any year 300zx MAFS? Cause when i went to autozone they didnt know what a z32 MAFS was. I think its a 90+ for the the n62 one right? Thanks
Compare Nissan part numbers, then cross reference vehicles. I wouldn't trust Autozone/etc part systems.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:50 PM   #447
SinGarage
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
SinGarage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Just wanted to thank everyone who has contributed to this page. I am in the middle of my build (S14 with series 2 RB25) and would have gone postal without this forum hehe.
SinGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:31 PM   #448
johngriff
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
johngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to johngriff
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
I realized this weekend that the ignition pinouts for the RB25DE/DET FSM and the translated Japanese ECCS schematic I have are different ~ since I couldn't match up wire colors (redid the whole harness in Mil-spec ETFE wire), I had to go to pinouts, and the Austrailian FSM is correct, not the translated electrical schematic. I'll post them both up when I get home tonight.

Oil drain is standard for all similar-model-year Nissans. I recommend an NRG/Parts Shop Max/or similar magnetic oil drain plug, they're like $10.

Compare Nissan part numbers, then cross reference vehicles. I wouldn't trust Autozone/etc part systems.
Jordan,

If YOU (READ ONLY JORDAN) really need the pinouts, i have them from developing patch loom harnesses. Email me if you can't figure it out.

John
Old 12-14-2009, 09:11 PM   #449
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngriff View Post
Jordan,

If YOU (READ ONLY JORDAN) really need the pinouts, i have them from developing patch loom harnesses. Email me if you can't figure it out.

John
Haha, thanks, but I've got all the pinouts ~ I just sided with the wrong one when I found a discrepancy. Like I said, R33 FSM is correct

Old 12-14-2009, 10:05 PM   #450
951's 330i
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinGarage View Post
Just wanted to thank everyone who has contributed to this page. I am in the middle of my build (S14 with series 2 RB25) and would have gone postal without this forum hehe.
+10000000000000000000000000000

Man if it werent for this forum.....I swear to god lol i cant even express what i would do lol

Hey Jordan or anyone else, your right about not trusting autozone, they gave me the wrong one, looks kinda like the z32 with the orange lable on it, but this one was off by where it connects and looked weird kinda

FOund a z32 used MAFS on ebay here in socal for 90 picked up. Or should i just use a S1 green label MAFS cause i think thats what is on there since it has a green label itself and they couldnt find the part number on there with their system? It has a green label and a member on here offered me one right now but now sure what to go with.

This really sucks cause my car has been basically been on a tow truck all day. Died twice on the freeway, and then again just now on my way home from south gate with it. Already did the tune up minus the timing belt. Lol sucked right now though since it died up a bridge