Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-22-2006, 07:10 AM   #1
tastyratz
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
tastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tastyratz
tubular lock hood pins - lock cover??

so I picked up a set of these babies for my car:

and I love it, its much cleaner and overall nicer than a regular hood pin plus has security for those of us with alot under the hood.

Unfortuanately its also an open cylinder facing skywards and exposed to the elements. Something tells me that these tubular locks will fill with dirt grime road salt rain and misc nasties that will quickly lead to their failure. I was hoping to find some sort of like a plastic snap in cover for this...

Anyone able to point me in the right direction? Something I can just pop in and out, and its cheap/easy to replace when some asswipe walking by my car decides its fun to just pop the thing off.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:32 AM   #2
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The Pins in the lock wear/break and don't latch down when the hood shifts. The are only really good for keeping your hood closed in a parking lot, not on the HW.

Get these:

http://www.coastfab.com/products.php?cat=77
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=108799
Old 06-22-2006, 07:48 AM   #3
tastyratz
Zilvia Addict

tastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to behold
thats definitely a nice system, i checked the thread too... I just cant afford to be spending 100 bucks on hood pins right now :-(
These things seem to be holding my hood well for right now, its a bitch to get them to engage right but mainly because I have a very big angle in the hood where its mounted so they engage somewhat crooked. I plan on shimming the pins a bit more to compensate for this however but id say I feel fairly safe with these pins for now... I just fear rust and wear
Old 06-22-2006, 11:35 AM   #4
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Rubber plugs, .34 cents at Home Depot.
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 11:55 AM   #5
tastyratz
Zilvia Addict

thats the kind of thing I was hoping for, I just didnt know if there was a product like that in existance specifically sized for doing... just that