Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-11-2011, 08:06 PM   #31
dudewutup
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
dudewutup is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Im in the middle of a value swap right now, I think this could bring down the price of a swap substantially compared to what some other places charge for wiring.

http://zilvia.net/f/engine-tech/3890...ur-95-s14.html

Guess I can't call it a 240....
dudewutup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2011, 08:08 PM   #32
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewutup View Post
Im in the middle of a value swap right now, I think this could bring down the price of a swap substantially compared to what some other places charge for wiring.

http://zilvia.net/f/engine-tech/3890...ur-95-s14.html
very cool, good info. Would love to see one on the S13.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #33
dudewutup
Zilvia Member

dudewutup is an unknown quantity at this point
Im completely new to the 240 scene, I may eventually get a 13 and swap it as well. But for now that's all I can give you guys to help the cause.

Guess I can't call it a 240....
dudewutup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:28 AM   #34
lewisfk
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
lewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
ya i went to zfever to check out the swap prices and that shit was insane! has anyone did a VQ35HR/ de swap under 5 grand and its reliable!
lewisfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:34 AM   #35
punxva
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
punxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to punxva
Night Sliders View topic - VQ'ed AE86...nuff said
not sure if you realize this

but when you knockup that skanky drunk sea donkey, you're gonna have to listen to her shit for the rest of your life

age 33 and you dont know your ass from your elbow

punxva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #36
Jukebox

Trader Rating: (2)
Jukebox is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
@Drift Freaq: How much interest would you need to start making vq swap kits? Hard question to answer, but it seems like your very knowledgeable on this subject and your kits would probably turn out amazing.
Jukebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:18 PM   #37
rb25crazy
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (14)
rb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
ahha i only want it if it's carb legal! that's the only reason why i'd want to do the motor swap!
rb25crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #38
Jukebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb25crazy View Post
ahha i only want it if it's carb legal! that's the only reason why i'd want to do the motor swap!
+1, but in terms of the kit, the only problem would be the steering shaft clearance. If they clear, we are good. Then from there its just a matter of the Evap components and wiring
Old 06-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #39
upsdude
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
upsdude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
if dave develops a complete vq swap that also qualifies for CARB legal exemption, it won't be cheap. CARB exemption is not only costly but a general pain in the ass to get...question is are you guys willing to pony up the $$ for such a kit to even warrant him going through such a process.
upsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:30 PM   #40
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsdude View Post
if dave develops a complete vq swap that also qualifies for CARB legal exemption, it won't be cheap. CARB exemption is not only costly but a general pain in the ass to get...question is are you guys willing to pony up the $$ for such a kit to even warrant him going through such a process.
Herein lies the rub. If I did do a kit it would be an install kit only. It might offer wiring service for an extra charge but ref'ing the car would be up to the person installing the engine.

Getting the CARB E.O. sicker is a 10k a year proposition on top of initial fees.

There is a reason why Greddy never actually got the CARB E.O. Turbo kit for the KA. Even though they came up with the kit they realized it was going to be to much money per year per kits sold to warrant the expenditure. I.E. zero profitability. So they just stuck to selling the Turbo kit as a for off road use only situation i.e. track car. They make some money selling the kit and don't lose their ass to the state of California.

Now if the numbers were large of enough it would have made sense to make it CARB legal E.O. sticker setup.

New Video
Buy my mounts!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:32 PM   #41
Jukebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsdude View Post
You mean by him making custom carb legal headers? Then no, I wouldn't pay the price for those cause they would be crazy expensive and would take like 2 years...may be exaggerating.

But something similar in terms to the sikky kit for the vq would be a seller if it allows the oem headers to clear the steering shaft which would then remain carb legal.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #42
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Why are we talking about making a carb legal kit and paying for blah blah blah?

As far I know all that needs to be done to the headers is to have the heat shields dimpled in a bit for added clearance. Seems as though the wiring isn't much a hard part as just time consuming.

irax has a good shot at going CARB legal. I really hope he and Juan are able to figure everything out. If I had extra change in my pockets for this I would definitely be trying to be the first.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:14 PM   #43
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukebox View Post
You mean by him making custom carb legal headers? Then no, I wouldn't pay the price for those cause they would be crazy expensive and would take like 2 years...may be exaggerating.

But something similar in terms to the sikky kit for the vq would be a seller if it allows the oem headers to clear the steering shaft which would then remain carb legal.
Its just not about the headers on the VQ in fact that is hardly even the issue. I said one thing earlier in this thread and I will add to it. The biggest issue at this time is the fact that our cars run a fuel return system and the 350 is return less.
No one has specifically clarified with a ref if they could switch the car over to return less or if they would have to a return setup. The other issue is the evap system and the in tank fuel temp sender which is part of the VQ's emission controls. This is the stuff I am trying to sort out as well as a few others are too.

The Sikky kit is not Carb legal. Their headers are not Carb legal. In fact that is the main stumbling block on running a LSX swap that would be able to get ref'd. The stock headers do not clear and the aftermarket ones that do are not E.O. 'd which means a ref would flag them.

Though the LSX is easier in the emissions department to be legal. The header issue is the issue and as far as I know no one has ref'd a LSX swap at this time.

Oh and I do not think a VQ swap kit would sell. Though there are people expressing interest I have vast experience selling stuff for 240's and can tell you people like to say they are interested and like to act like they will buy something. Most of the time when it comes down to reality, they are gone like the wind. LOL I know , jaded, cynical? First hand experience in this. LOL

Oh and like I said earlier, every time someone else as brought up the kit concept and even put out there they had one, no one ever committed.

240 people these days are a somewhat fickle bunch.

For Mckinney its a no loss situation. For everyone else its an investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamN View Post
Why are we talking about making a carb legal kit and paying for blah blah blah?

As far I know all that needs to be done to the headers is to have the heat shields dimpled in a bit for added clearance. Seems as though the wiring isn't much a hard part as just time consuming.

irax has a good shot at going CARB legal. I really hope he and Juan are able to figure everything out. If I had extra change in my pockets for this I would definitely be trying to be the first.
Jimmy I did not bring it up others did. All I did was clarify that 1. It would be costly and 2. Doing a kit at all is almost not worth it for anyone.

Though I will add if you think all it is is the headers being dimpled and some wiring you need to read this thread better.

If it was that simple it would have been done a lot sooner. It has become simpler though we are not out of the woods yet.

Ib aka Irax and I talk on a regular basis and even he knows there are a few little details he has to work out to make it fly. Trust me when we have done it we will let people know. Though even Irax's setup may run into snags.

Like I have said earlier in the thread and I am not holding any info back, its tricky. This is all based on not only which ref you go to, but also ironing a few little details out.

Can it be done? Yes it can. Can it be done as simply as you make it out to? No its just not that cut and dry yet.
Will it get done by someone in the next 6 months. Most likely.

Remember the LSX swap is even simpler and no one still has managed to get a ref'd swap as far as we know.
It does not mean its impossible it just means 1. some one gets tricky and fools a ref, as no one makes a legal header for the engine that fits our chassis.

New Video
Buy my mounts!
Old 06-14-2011, 12:30 AM   #44
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (41)
turtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
I already started a vq35de swap FAQ and nobody has added a single thing...
Old 06-14-2011, 01:34 AM   #45
Slammed Assassin
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (34)
Slammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Slammed Assassin
my little vq build. rad is now installed ect..more videos to come.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC0Tr6WIoYM
Old 06-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #46
JaeTea
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
JaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JaeTea
I'm looking to do this swap later this year for next drift season.

Good info drift freaq!
JaeTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #47
gtrmonkey
Leaky Injector

gtrmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
someone needs to do a VQ40 out a frontier/xterra/pathfinder . Basically a stroker VQ35...lots of torque and good for drifting
gtrmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #48
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle m3th View Post
I already started a vq35de swap FAQ and nobody has added a single thing...
Perhaps we could get a mod or admin to take the info posts in this thread combined with info posts from Irax's thread and possible others and dump them into tine VQ35de swap FAQ.

I do know for awhile everyone was trying to figure out if they were going to do a kit and were holding on to info. Now it seems we all have decided a kit is fruitless and opened up the floodgates. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrmonkey View Post
someone needs to do a VQ40 out a frontier/xterra/pathfinder . Basically a stroker VQ35...lots of torque and good for drifting
Ya and completely not a legal swap smog wise as its coming out of a Truck or SUV.

The point of this thread is easy/affordable and smog legal. Most the people in here are trying to get legal 300 hp setups in their cars.
Honestly the VQ35 is already a good engine for drifting as well. By the time you're done doing a VQ40 setup you could have spent the money on a LSX swap. LOL

New Video
Buy my mounts!
Old 06-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #49
Jukebox

Are rwd vq35de and hr engine mounts in the same spot? As with external dimensions? I know the hr is ~1" taller, It's just it would be a bummer to have 2 seperate kits
Old 06-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #50
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Since the HR is about 80% different than the DE & Revup, I'd bet on different mounts.
simmode1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #51
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
Since the HR is about 80% different than the DE & Revup, I'd bet on different mounts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH-C0FVB0ck

Quote:
For this VQ35HR to fit we used Mckinney Motorsports' engine and trans mount kit but we had to re-fabricate the driver''s side mount and notch the passenger side X-member mounting hole slightly. This allowed us to get enough clearance between the steering linkage and the starter (which is on the left side of the HR motor). We also had to make a custom steering U-joint that was a tad longer and thinner than the stock one. Lastly, we had to re-fabricate the exhaust manifolds to get them to clear the firewall properly.

Last edited by irax; 06-14-2011 at 02:46 PM..
irax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #52
Jukebox

So that means that the hr swaps wont be legal? bummer...
Old 06-14-2011, 02:44 PM   #53
irax
Post Whore!

irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukebox View Post
So that means that the hr swaps wont be legal? bummer...
well... it just depends on your state/local emissions requirements. If your state requires C.A.R.B. parts and California emissions, then yeah its going to be difficult to pass. I would highly recommend talking to your local smog tech before dismissing your hopes of an HR swapped car.

also if you see the height of that engine vs the PlusONETEN build, using McKinney mounts will make it sit higher. You will probably have better clearance if you modify the crossmember like the PlusONETEN build which could eliminate other problems. But no one ever said that you can not modify the firewall....
Old 06-21-2011, 11:40 AM   #54
Chase Bays
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Chase Bays is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
We make many different VQ swap parts

Search Result: VQ - ChaseBays.com

I also know of someone LOCALLY to us (not the original VQswap idiots) who's made a company dedicated to just VQ35 swap components for Nissan chassis. Making everything simple and all in one place. We're currently running some of their new products(all of them are new), testing them. They're retailing AND making their own products. Throttle Body Adapters, random block offs, Coolant hose relocation, Oil Cooler kits, Radiator...etc!

THIS site goes live Friday if I heard right...

Our car on cable throttle, AEM EMS...

IMPROVING PERFORMANCE AND AESTHETICS WHILE SAVING WEIGHT AND SPACE

www.ChaseBays.com | [email protected] | (205)623-2188
Chase Bays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:45 PM   #55
irax
Post Whore!

with the chasebays sneaky radiator, it totally exaggerates how far back the vq sits in a 240
Old 06-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #56
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by drift freaq View Post

Though I will add if you think all it is is the headers being dimpled and some wiring you need to read this thread better.

If it was that simple it would have been done a lot sooner. It has become simpler though we are not out of the woods yet.
Was talking simply for header clearance and wiring ease because other guy was making it a big deal appraently. Definitely know more is involved.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #57
Chase Bays
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Chase Bays is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by irax View Post
with the chasebays sneaky radiator, it totally exaggerates how far back the vq sits in a 240
Haha yeah it opens up a lot of room, its about the same length as a KA/SR though.

IMPROVING PERFORMANCE AND AESTHETICS WHILE SAVING WEIGHT AND SPACE

www.ChaseBays.com | [email protected] | (205)623-2188
Chase Bays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #58
irax
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Bays View Post
Haha yeah it opens up a lot of room, its about the same length as a KA/SR though.
thats only because of the timing cover and the way the intake manifold sits.
If some one modified kenetix maxima or 350z manifold you could push the engine further back about 1 inch or so while still maintaining awesome water pipe clearance.

i would like to try something like the kinetix prototype manifold but with a front mounted tb like the v8s I wonder if it could make better power that way.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:42 PM   #59
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Quote:
Originally Posted by irax View Post
but with a front mounted tb like the v8s I wonder if it could make better power that way.
Are you talking about like the Fast LSx manifolds? Oh god, that sounds like fucking genius! Why the hell hasn't anyone done this yet?

The VQde's intake manifold design is pretty much the only thing I don't like about this motor. I <3 symmetry...
simmode1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:10 PM   #60
andrew600
ill tongue punch her fart box

Trader Rating: (12)
andrew600 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by drift freaq View Post
Perhaps we could get a mod or admin to take the info posts in this thread combined with info posts from Irax's thread and possible others and dump them into tine VQ35de swap FAQ.

I do know for awhile everyone was trying to figure out if they were going to do a kit and were holding on to info. Now it seems we all have decided a kit is fruitless and opened up the floodgates. LOL

Ya and completely not a legal swap smog wise as its coming out of a Truck or SUV.

The point of this thread is easy/affordable and smog legal. Most the people in here are trying to get legal 300 hp setups in their cars.
Honestly the VQ35 is already a good engine for drifting as well. By the time you're done doing a VQ40 setup you could have spent the money on a LSX swap. LOL
vq40 is no more difficult than the 35
andrew600 is offline   Reply With Quote