Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-23-2011, 09:13 PM   #61
andrew600
ill tongue punch her fart box

Trader Rating: (12)
andrew600 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
Are you talking about like the Fast LSx manifolds? Oh god, that sounds like fucking genius! Why the hell hasn't anyone done this yet?

The VQde's intake manifold design is pretty much the only thing I don't like about this motor. I <3 symmetry...
switch to a vq40 intake.
andrew600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #62
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
HMMMMMMM! Plastic manifold! I'm down! I like lower intake temps! I wonder if this will bolt up to the vq35de lower intake manifold

naaaah the ports wont line up

vs this

but... i wonder if the lower intake plenum would fit though... hmmm
Old 06-23-2011, 09:58 PM   #63
simmode1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
I have no idea about the science behind it, but I'd style rather see the VQ35 get a Fast LSx style manifold...

I was searching for examples of modified Z manifolds and I definently see what you're talking about with the modded Kenetix Maxima manifold. Seems like that would be alright. But I can't really find any examples of modded OEM Z manifolds for RWD configuration, by I KNOW there are some out there... Got any examples?
simmode1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:17 PM   #64
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew600 View Post
vq40 is no more difficult than the 35
Its not a question of difficulty and you missed the point of my post. ITS NOT LEGAL! Why? It comes out of a Truck/SUV which do not have the same emission standards.
Again I will say this, for people like the one who posted above. The point of this swap is to be legal. IF you do not do a legal version you might as well just toss a SR or RB in the car and call it a day.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:25 AM   #65
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
Dave, get off your ass and finish your swap so I can have a ride in it!
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:19 PM   #66
PerilousActs
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
PerilousActs is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
You all should probably just buy this manifold:

PerilousActs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:32 PM   #67
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
How you just gon post a pic of that and then give no details or info? What's the manifold called? Where can we see it in action? And where is it sold?
Old 06-25-2011, 12:26 AM   #68
PerilousActs
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
PerilousActs is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Ask and ye shall receive. It's not cheap. cj-motorsports.com
PerilousActs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:46 AM   #69
irax
Post Whore!

irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
2K for an intake manifold is a bit much, any dyno sheets on a stock motor or vs stock intake manifold?
Old 06-25-2011, 01:31 AM   #70
simmode1
Post Whore!

Goddamn, that thing is even more expensive than the Cosworth manifold. Hell, more expensive than most of the motors it'll be going onto. On top of the add'l fab required... Sheit...

Cheaper than this though:

Last edited by simmode1; 06-25-2011 at 08:57 AM..
Old 06-26-2011, 02:40 PM   #71
andrew600

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift freaq View Post
Its not a question of difficulty and you missed the point of my post. ITS NOT LEGAL! Why? It comes out of a Truck/SUV which do not have the same emission standards.
Again I will say this, for people like the one who posted above. The point of this swap is to be legal. IF you do not do a legal version you might as well just toss a SR or RB in the car and call it a day.
its the same as far as emissions goes to.
a swap is legal if it came in any other model of the same company where i live.
or if its older than a 96 it doesnt even get tested.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #72
andrew600

Quote:
Originally Posted by irax View Post
HMMMMMMM! Plastic manifold! I'm down! I like lower intake temps! I wonder if this will bolt up to the vq35de lower intake manifold

naaaah the ports wont line up

vs this

but... i wonder if the lower intake plenum would fit though... hmmm
lower plenum bolts up.
gives more low end torque, and a better midrange.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #73
irax
Post Whore!

so hr plenum bolts up to the de or does the 4.0 bolt up to the 3.5 de?
Old 06-26-2011, 08:13 PM   #74
jspecusa
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (7)
jspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jspecusa
no one can modify the stock vr38 intake manifold for vq?
it would look stock and good for 600+hp.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:29 AM   #75
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
while i appreciate threads like this

i cant understand why anyone would keep their 240. just sell it and buy a fucking 350z. its not like the car is not better. its engineered better. its stronger. its newer. its legal. and when you add all the hours of work, you end up with a ragged 240?

fuck that, buy a z33. or a z34. just throw away the airbags and yer set.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:46 AM   #76
upsdude
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
upsdude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
^good point but where's the fun in that? :P
upsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #77
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew600 View Post
its the same as far as emissions goes to.
a swap is legal if it came in any other model of the same company where i live.
or if its older than a 96 it doesnt even get tested.
Ah no its not read the federal EPA rules. It cannot be from a truck or SUV. Oh and please this has been discussed in length in other VQ threads here.

Plus swapping in a 4.0 is not cheaper. So please try to stay on topic.

New Video
Buy my mounts!
Old 06-27-2011, 11:05 AM   #78
Highway Riding
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Highway Riding is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
while i appreciate threads like this

i cant understand why anyone would keep their 240. just sell it and buy a fucking 350z. its not like the car is not better. its engineered better. its stronger. its newer. its legal. and when you add all the hours of work, you end up with a ragged 240?

fuck that, buy a z33. or a z34. just throw away the airbags and yer set.
One thing not mentioned is WEIGHT. 240's weigh significantly less. All is true however as far as a Z being better but nothing is more boring than a NA Z..... Just sold mine after 5 years and boosted my S14! With the correct suspension and brake setup a 240 is more fun.. Now boost a VQ and this is a totally different story but boosting V's and romping on them are touchy (hit or miss)...
Highway Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:56 PM   #79
irax
Post Whore!

370z
vq37hr

vs
350z
vq35de

vq35hr

Vq35hr exhaust manifold modified courtesy of PlusONEten

hhhmmmmmmmmmm I think the 370z exhaust manifold might solve a lot of issues....

Last edited by irax; 06-28-2011 at 12:27 AM..
irax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:37 AM   #80
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

you may be on to something IB

New Video
Buy my mounts!
Old 06-28-2011, 01:04 AM   #81
irax
Post Whore!

BTW the 370z long tub header is made by PPE

They do all sorts of applications, even 1UZ headers
Old 06-28-2011, 09:02 AM   #82
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway Riding View Post
One thing not mentioned is WEIGHT. 240's weigh significantly less. All is true however as far as a Z being better but nothing is more boring than a NA Z..... Just sold mine after 5 years and boosted my S14! With the correct suspension and brake setup a 240 is more fun.. Now boost a VQ and this is a totally different story but boosting V's and romping on them are touchy (hit or miss)...
thats all subjective

a 240 is light because it is made like a fucking tin can, no more no less.

the 350z isnt heavy, it is more rigid and solid, the extra weight is well used

either way, stock for stock... i'de take a z over a 240 anyday. if you're going to modify an s-chassis, just put the motor thats designed to be in our cars and end it

anyway, back to the discussion...
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #83
rb25crazy
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (14)
rb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
thats all subjective

a 240 is light because it is made like a fucking tin can, no more no less.

the 350z isnt heavy, it is more rigid and solid, the extra weight is well used

either way, stock for stock... i'de take a z over a 240 anyday. if you're going to modify an s-chassis, just put the motor thats designed to be in our cars and end it

anyway, back to the discussion...
regardless, of the car being better or not, i have an attachment to my kouki =X, plus i've dumped in a lot of money for a buncha quality parts that i'd never get back so, might as well just keep it and put a little more into it to make it complete in my eyes.

also, it's like why do ppl get old beater 240z and modify them and throw in all these things into it, it's just mainly cuz they like it, not so much that it is better then the newer cars.

but, i see your point of the car being better and everything, just saying it's more of a sentimental thing for me.
rb25crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #84
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb25crazy View Post
regardless, of the car being better or not, i have an attachment to my kouki =X, plus i've dumped in a lot of money for a buncha quality parts that i'd never get back so, might as well just keep it and put a little more into it to make it complete in my eyes.

also, it's like why do ppl get old beater 240z and modify them and throw in all these things into it, it's just mainly cuz they like it, not so much that it is better then the newer cars.

but, i see your point of the car being better and everything, just saying it's more of a sentimental thing for me.
A 240Z is an iconic Classic at this point. People are buying them and cleaning them up because of that.

I would not put it in the same breath as our cars. Maybe in Japan a S13 has more possibility of being a Classic but not here.

In that sense using a 240Z for an example is not very good.

Oh and I think we are getting a little off topic here.

New Video
Buy my mounts!
Old 06-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #85
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
Children Children, stop arguying about the whole 4.0L Deal its very easy,

Take a VQ35HR Block and Head, Stick the 4L Crank in there Forged Pistons and a custom rod and you can have a VQ40HR from a car, that will run hard as fuck without dealing with the whole "it's from a truck" deal.

as far as the whole HR VS DE drama. the VQHR engine's are significantly better. but IMO not worth the hassle of swaping into s chassis, I would much rather swap in a VHR (370Z Engine) the VQHR was only produced for 2 years, and a complete piece of shit when it comes to aftermarket support.

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #86
simmode1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardabe View Post
the VQHR was only produced for 2 years, and a complete piece of shit when it comes to aftermarket support.
Speaking of this concept, I was wondering about you guys' opinion on the regular VQ35DE versus the Rev-up DE.

I know the main difference between the two is that the Rev-up has variable timing on both the intake & exhaust cams rather than the DE having it just on the intake side.

Also, the regular DE can be found just about anywhere. Whereas the Rev-up was exclusively a 350Z and G35 coupe engine and also only sold for like what 2 or 3 years, right?

Is there any real value in picking one of these over the other?
Old 06-28-2011, 03:42 PM   #87
irax
Post Whore!

actually, you can find revups in later year 3.5's when the Z a G coupe both got the HR, the G sedan didn't get the HR till like a year or two later IIRC
Old 06-28-2011, 03:51 PM   #88
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Rev Ups can be had cheap. Most people are afraid of them. Toss a oil catch can on them and call it a day. It is basically the bargain engine of the lot, because of this, followed by the DE. 35HR's are currently ringing the register in the $2k-2500 range still. You might find one cheaper but you would have to look. 37VHR's are costly. Average price is around 3k-3500. There are just not a lot of 37's out there in the yards yet. I know of one as I speak and the price is 3500.

So you want to save money REV UP or DE. Plain and simple.

New Video
Buy my mounts!
Old 06-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #89
andrew600

Quote:
Ah no its not read the federal EPA rules. It cannot be from a truck or SUV. Oh and please this has been discussed in length in other VQ threads here.

Plus swapping in a 4.0 is not cheaper. So please try to stay on topic.
i am on topic? this is the base for the whole topic.
and where i live you can swap an engine over to a vehicle as long as they both have the same manufacture.

my ls1 240 was legal. and that motor came in a lot of suv and trucks.

and i didnt say it was cheaper. although now that you mention it. there are more vehicles that a vq40 comes in than a vq35. so hahah yeah you kinda walked into that door. so yes it is cheaper.

i dont know why youre so up at arms about vq40?
vq40 with harness ecu and most accessories goes for right around 2k shipped
or 1k if you know someone like me.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:06 PM   #90
simmode1
Post Whore!

Quote:
So you want to save money REV UP or DE. Plain and simple.
So whats up with aftermarket tuning options for the Rev-up versus the regular DE? I mean, how does having VTC on both the intake and exhaust effect tuning options? I've never understood this.

I do know that the DE supposedly is better at low end torque and the Rev-up is better at peak HP. But aftermarket-wise, is there anything that lets the Rev-up stand superior to the DE?