Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-17-2013, 12:22 AM   #1
bmar19
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
bmar19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
KA-T ECU/ help

ok i will need to get a 240sx tuned....not sure how to go about this...buying a 800 dollar aem ecu is out of question for now but i need something...what shoould i do?

just take the car to a dyno with the stock ecu and get tuned in a shop?

buy an ecu i can just plug in already tuned?

new to this so not sure what to do....if anyone has ecus for sale please let me know

the car has t3 turbo, 550cc injectors to be installed, stock compression just rebuilt, eagle pistons ect. please help...any other info you need just ask thanks
bmar19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2013, 12:26 AM   #2
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
iamtheyi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
I believe on your other thread, someone mentioned ka-t.org.

Christ you're lazy.

iamtheyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:36 AM   #3
bmar19
Zilvia Junkie

um no im not...i cant post anything...it has to be approved or something...people are so big behind a computer....im just looking for help...not lazy at all thanks for the useless information
Old 07-17-2013, 01:15 AM   #4
Irresistible
Nissanaholic!

Irresistible is an unknown quantity at this point
Dude... Research this shit. That's not a very uncommon setup. There's oodles of information everywhere. Stop being lazy as hell. Just get an enthalpy ecu for your shit and plug it in and go.

Yes I used the word "oodles"
Old 07-17-2013, 01:28 AM   #5
aznnoodleboi
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
aznnoodleboi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Theres JWT, Enthalpy... theres even a eBay brand that does the ECU tune for cheap. Took me less then a minute the search that
aznnoodleboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:37 AM   #6
bmar19
Zilvia Junkie

you guys are dumb...of course i searched that lol just looking for insight...i see that safc is crap so not going there...nistune looks to complicated for me to start with not ever dealing with boost or a tune? lets say i get a plug and play if i wanted to raise the boost do i have to send it back to enthalpy for example or can i take it to a dyno and get it tuned there? also couldnt i take my stock ecu to a dyno shop and get it tuned there? or are they not able to change the stock ecu to boost?
Old 07-17-2013, 01:44 AM   #7
aznnoodleboi
Leaky Injector

aznnoodleboi is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh.. Then you should definitely go SAFC. 500HP KAT on stock block all day.

or you can take your car to any alignment shop. They should be able to retune your ECU.
aznnoodleboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:50 AM   #8
bmar19
Zilvia Junkie

sad to think you are 32 and act like that lol a kid cant even get a little help lol ive searched so much and looking for educated live help by tomorrow and people like you aznnoodleboi say that..id rather you not comment lol but hey what can i say you must find pleasure out of it...thanks for the info....maybe i can get a tune up from your mom
Old 07-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #9
ditchs14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
ditchs14 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
if you've done research then why the fuck are you asking about it?
ditchs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #10
stevenrapids
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
stevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
people on zilvia get an errection when they see a chance to be an asshole. Seeing as you seem to have some knowledge of the issue already, your best bet would be to get a mail order tune. These tunes are set to run rich(from most of my experience and reading) and are good for a limited range of boost for your setup(lets say 7-12 psi). If you are looking for a better tune to make more power i would go with nistune and get it dyno tuned on that.
stevenrapids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #11
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

iamtheyi is an unknown quantity at this point
mr steven, I understand you would like to be a white knight, but it takes maybe one day of reading to understand the pros and cons of the
#1 mail-in order tunes
#2 the fallibility of the SAFC
#3 cost of the EMS
#4 the many ROM tunes that act like stand alones ie nistune, nismotronic, megasquirt

and bmar dont post on that forum. It wasnt for you to post on. Go look through it. This subject has been beaten to death millions of times before you. You are not unique.

edit: welp, MS is not really a ROM tune that acts like a standalone. It kind of is a standalone. But it's PnP

Last edited by iamtheyi; 07-17-2013 at 12:16 PM..
iamtheyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #12
stevenrapids
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
stevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheyi View Post
mr steven, I understand you would like to be a white knight, but it takes maybe one day of reading to understand the pros and cons of the
#1 mail-in order tunes
#2 the fallibility of the SAFC
#3 cost of the EMS
#4 the many ROM tunes that act like stand alones ie nistune, nismotronic, megasquirt

and bmar dont post on that forum. It wasnt for you to post on. Go look through it. This subject has been beaten to death millions of times before you. You are not unique.

edit: welp, MS is not really a ROM tune that acts like a standalone. It kind of is a standalone. But not it's PnP
i understand it takes no time to learn about this topic, but instead of wasting your time being an asshole and telling someone they are an idiot(not you, everyone else), why not help him out and give him a quick reply with some insight. It takes no time at all. I understand people are lazy and some people just dont have time to read through hundreds of threads about this shit. Everyone just loves being captain big dick on the internet.
stevenrapids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #13
SuperBlackS14
Zilvia Junkie

SuperBlackS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Okay... First of all. From Lurking, and research...

Yes, standalone's are expensive, but if you're asking a part to control the ordered chaos that is an internal combustion engine, and then adding boost to make it more complicated, you should probably not scrimp... Standalones are extremely flexible from a tuning standpoint and will be able to control your engine, when tuned correctly. AEM EMS and MegaSquirt PNP are Plug and Play Options, that is, they wire into your existing wiring loom to work. After that, you can add sensors to get the desired results.

Nistune and Nismotronic are great solutions if you don't want to shell out for a Standalone or you want to retain some stock tuning. Both put a daughterboard into your ECU that allows you (or a Tuner) to mess with the maps in realtime to get your ECU dialed in. Nismotronic as of right now has more things added to it, but I'm pretty sure it only works on a 93 240SX ECU... Nistune will work on just about any Non-flash-based ECU, they recently even got it to work on an OBD-II 1996 Board, but check them out to make sure.

JimWolfTech will also go the daughterboard route, but their tunes are one-and-done. They are burned in and they need to be sent back to JWT to be retuned, for injectors/maf swaps, ect. But in general, they know their shit when it comes to Nissans.

If I got anything wrong my apologies, I make no claim to be a tuning expert. If anyone wants to add anything I missed or correct me, feel free. Also, *disclaimer* double-check anything you read on Zilvia or any other car forum with an experienced Tuner to prevent blown engines and Egos.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #14
DJ 21o3
Zilvia Junkie

DJ 21o3 is an unknown quantity at this point
for the white knights trying to come to the rescue, this guy said he googled stuff in his last post and was still asking poor questions. KA-T.org has everything anyone needs to know about KAs. he is just lazy or I honestly don't think he understands the information he is reading so needs it spoon fed to him. Bmar, if that is the case....sell the car.
DJ 21o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #15
bmar19
Zilvia Junkie

thank you guys i appreciate the help..i stayed up all night last night i researched so much i mean i understood but like i said im new to boost never tuned so yeah i searched and got answers but i also was looking for your guys thoughts as well..i like real time opinions not outdated posts...i wanted to hear experience and stuff thanks for the help!
Old 07-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #16
bmar19
Zilvia Junkie

after all my research and help from SOME of you guys that understood what i was aaking ive learned so much in under 24hrs....i never knew how important a tune is...thanks again so much great site and some helpful people out there and then again some not so helpful people all in all thanks!!!
Old 07-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #17
heychris
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (20)
heychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
I think that Nistune or Nismotronic would be a great solution for you. If you are going to tune this yourself I would highly recommend buying these 2 books from Motorbooks Workshop:

"Turbocharging Performance Handbook"

AND

"How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems"

otherwise take your car to a reputable tuner.

As the others said KA-T. org is a great resource.

Good luck

Ch

Sent using XT912 M
heychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #18
Rich260z
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Rich260z is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Well since you seem to not have a lot fo money at the moment, I would go with Enthralpy. contact them, and tell them your specs and they send you an ecu that you plug in and go. You can then use your SAFC to fine tune the tuned ecu (sicne tuned ecu's are generally rich to be on the safe side)

Personally for the money spent on an Enthalpy ECU and SAFC I can build my own Megasquirt kit and upgrade other things, so that's what I'm going to doing.
Rich260z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #19
bmar19
Zilvia Junkie

im not looking to tune myself..i dont have the money to "learn" by tuning bad and blowing it up. lol i mean i can do that and take it to a shop and they can tune it? i guess just depends on what shops charge lol
Old 07-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #20
zeebrah
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (14)
zeebrah is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Honestly going off your talk/experience I dont think youre going to really notice the difference between a spot on tune and a rich 'safe' tune. For you I would say go with a bit smaller injectors and just get a safc and a universal msd btm. Both can be had for pretty cheap since youre very budget minded (like at the most $300 for both) and when youre ready to go with a better tune you can resell both for very close to what you paid. As for the tuning on both its very very simple. Theres a calculator online for safc settings and the btm just run a hair below 1.
Food for thought and as much spoon feeding as im willing to do haha