Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-02-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
miracosta
BANNED

Trader Rating: (1)
miracosta is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just bought a zenki have some questions

hey guys finally bought a zenki in which i plan to convert to kouki and REALLY CLEAN anyways i have a few questions about it.
1.What fluids do I need to change to get it in tip top shape?
2.Theres a clunk when i shift at low rps-seller and my friend said transmission fluid, is this right?
3.the ka24de completely stock car when i first start it, it doesnt sound like a mean engine at all....it sounds really low..is this just my car or what?(other zenki/koukis ive test drove had a meaner start up.
4.Brakes are pretty bad, isnt there like a z32 swap or something i can thats pretty popular?
5.What gas is best to fill up with for a STOCK zenki? 6.Is it worth putting really good oils for ex sr's in the KA24de like amsoil, german castrol, or can i get away with mobile 1?
Other than that compared to the celica, im already in love with the RWD....cant wait to build it!
miracosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
Mangudai
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Mangudai is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1. If you dont know the maintenance history of the car I'd change all of the fluids. Coolant, Oil, Tranny Fluid, Brake Fluid etc

2. I'm guessing its your subframe bushings. Do you hear the clunk when you decel at the rear? The subframe bushings are infamous for clunking when they're bad.

3. Cant help you there..mine is fairly loud though its more so my exhaust as it has a low growl. Cant really help you there.

4. Yes, you can swap z32 brakes over but there is a bit of tweaking needed to get them on along with other parts for a proper set up. If you search you'll see several threads on this.

Hope this helps?
Old 03-02-2009, 08:59 PM   #3
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
1) Motor Oil (5/10W-30), Power Steering(ATF), Transmission and Diff (75w-90) Radiator Flush. Change the Plugs, Wires, Rotor and Cap. Primary O2 sensor(1st one in the manifold) and PCV valve(in a silver box on the block next to the alternator). Check the belts and air filter.

2) +2 on the subframe bushings.

3) Intake / exhaust systems the same on all cars?

4) Stock pads are crap. They are probably gone. Get new pads and check the runout on the rotors.

5) Mobil1 is just fine.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:23 PM   #4
miracosta
BANNED

saweet!, ill be searching out the subframe bushing and if i cant find any info on replacing it ill come back.....oh yeah thanks for letting me know what fluids i need to change...anything more is greatly appreciated info.
at gas stations for NA s14's do u guys use economy, regular, or premium?
Old 03-02-2009, 10:49 PM   #5
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I would say at least mid-grade. I always found my car was happier with Premium and it's what is "recommended."
Old 03-02-2009, 11:25 PM   #6
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by miracosta View Post
hey guys finally bought a zenki in which i plan to convert to kouki and REALLY CLEAN anyways i have a few questions about it.
1.What fluids do I need to change to get it in tip top shape?
2.Theres a clunk when i shift at low rps-seller and my friend said transmission fluid, is this right?
3.the ka24de completely stock car when i first start it, it doesnt sound like a mean engine at all....it sounds really low..is this just my car or what?(other zenki/koukis ive test drove had a meaner start up.
4.Brakes are pretty bad, isnt there like a z32 swap or something i can thats pretty popular?
5.What gas is best to fill up with for a STOCK zenki? 6.Is it worth putting really good oils for ex sr's in the KA24de like amsoil, german castrol, or can i get away with mobile 1?
Other than that compared to the celica, im already in love with the RWD....cant wait to build it!
1. what s14db said

2. besides subframe could be that you need your diff oils changed

3. stock 240sx's have resonator boxes before the intake, take it off it makes the car louder or meaner as you put it

4. the oem brakes are fine for a stock motor just get new rotors and some good pads z32 if you have cash to blow but i'd put it elsewhere first like maintenance and tires

5. gas? stock ka 87 will do just fine for driving around premium if you're gonna beat on it

6. theres a couple threads on amsoil its one of the best i suppose but yeah motor oil is motor oil who gives a shit. mobil 1 will be fine you can get away with non synthetic too if you're not in a cold area. it comes out in 3k miles anyways i'd say splurge on amsoil for the transmission and diff since that will be in there longer

love rwd now? get a LSD then tell me how much you really love it

VLSD doesn't count since its probably already worn out

also try and get it on a lift and inspect the under body for rust or exhaust leaks
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:51 PM   #7
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
1.Already answered
3.exhaust, intake.... could be a few things.
4.As suggested before, do maintance first. Get stock rotors and pads and drive on those until you need better brakes.
5.Mobil 1 is fine. IMO the brand of oil isn't as important as doing frequent (3k miles) changes.
As far as gas 89 is what use on mine and it's just fine. My car doesn't like 87 and I notice no difference with 91 over 89.
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:13 AM   #8
Gnnr
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
Gnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1. Oil and Coolant flush. Everything else is for your peace of mind. (Diff, tranny, flush out brake fluid)
2. Don't know.
3. Remove the small plastic plenums attached to the intake box, that makes a noticeable difference in sound.
4. Get Brembo blanks and your choice of pads. Stock brakes are more than adequate for stopping your car.
5. 87. Its not a crazy high compression motor. Mobil 1 is good.

Last edited by Gnnr; 03-03-2009 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: spelling
Gnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:28 AM   #9
miracosta
BANNED

legit! wow i frickin love zilvia mwahahaa...excited to keep it cleaaaaan
one more question for now.. does the USDM K's grill work with say a JDM K's front bumper/version select type 1?

I cant wait till try the LSD 2 way =]
Old 03-03-2009, 01:22 AM   #10
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
there is only a K's trim on the jdm s14

usdm/jdm K's grill fits the same i believe

as long as the aero doesn't block anything it will fit

some aero bumpers have a built in faux grill
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:34 AM   #11
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
1. Google
2. Google
3. Google
4. Google
5. Google

Seriously kid, for someone who just got a car you've asked more remedial, asinine questions before buying it than any thirty other dumbass on here.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:18 PM   #12
Zero-Offset
Zilvia Junkie

Zero-Offset is an unknown quantity at this point
Also, one more note for #1, make sure to use GL-4 approved transmission fluid.
GL-5/regular auto transmission fluid aren't the best for your synchro's.
Zero-Offset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:25 PM   #13
Ceepo
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
Ceepo will become famous soon enoughCeepo will become famous soon enoughCeepo will become famous soon enoughCeepo will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
not to be a jerk but why are you working on your car if you have to ask these questions?
Ceepo is offline   Reply With Quote