Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 01-28-2003, 11:59 PM   #1
Tyler Durdan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Tyler Durdan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Getting Started in HPDE

I'm looking to getting into the HPDE this season, and would appreciate some suggestions from the veterns...tnord, bbp, hipposleek, etc. Should I just go ahead and get my membership to NASA and starting signing up for events, or wait and attend a couple of events as a spectator? I'd prefer to jump right in the deep end, but suggestions would be helpful.

Mark

Turbo for Sale
Tyler Durdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2003, 01:04 AM   #2
tnord
Nissanaholic!

tnord is an unknown quantity at this point
i think you'll be fine just jumping in. at least that's what i basically did. just make sure everything (well, at least all major systems, a busted EGR valve isn't that crucial) are in working order, you've got at least 25% tread left on your tires, enough brake pad, and lubricants in the proper places and you'll be fine. i would say your braking system is the most important system on the car by far.

just go in expecting to be REALLY slow, cause you will be. take it slow.......listen to all the instructor has to say, and try and remember 25% of it. especially for novices, the harder you try, the slower you'll be.
tnord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 07:10 AM   #3
HippoSleek
Nissanaholic!

HippoSleek is an unknown quantity at this point
Yup - the best way to do it is to dive right in... there's no better time than the present.

My first time I was running all season tires, stock eveything except brakes, good pads and crappy fluid. Wound up having the time of my life -- and boiling the crappy fluid Brakes matter more than anything else!

IME, NASA is a great organization that runs /w excellent instructors at a reasonable price. You might get more seat time elsewhere, but often at the cost of instruction. Plus, honestly, you get enough w/ NASA for a novice (your concentration will wear you down more than you think). For your first time, I might recommend taking your car to a shop to get it teched (tech forms are available at the NASA website) just to be sure (unless you really trust yourself).

Aside from that - go register! B/c after your first weekend, you are going to kick yourself for not having done it sooner!

Mark
HippoSleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 11:24 AM   #4
nrcooled
Nissanaholic!

nrcooled is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to nrcooled
Amen Mark

I had my first track day last October or so and I loved it and now I'm hooked. To much fun to be had by one person (so it is really exhausting) Anyway I went w/ a basically stock 240 except for the engine and still had a great time.

The first time out you will be slow but that's fine everyone else will be too. The key is to enjoy yourself and your car.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:35 PM   #5
Tyler Durdan
Zilvia Junkie

Tyler Durdan is an unknown quantity at this point
Just upgraded to the z brakes and flushed the braking system, and put in some better fluids. Everything mechanically is in good order, and new kuhmo 712's begging to have some tread taken off. I'm probably gonna run it through a local mechanic (only one I trust) for any problems, and look to hit an event in March at Motorsports Ranch. Appreciate the thoughts.

Mark

Turbo for Sale
Tyler Durdan is offline   Reply With Quote