Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:08 PM   #61
jamanrr
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
jamanrr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by chituntang View Post
JDM drifters uses clutch fans because they do not have to swap an SR into their cars. They come with this setup and it works great. Why switching them?

Nismo thermostat does not cool your car better. It opens up the coolant passage to radiator earlier. Your engine will still reach the 180 degree, or higher depends on how you drive. I am not saying it is a piece of sh*t but just not necessary when the OEM unit works just fine.

E-fans vs. clutch fan? Hum, according to the fan test years ago, clutch fan does not run at higher rpm better as engine rpm goes up. At some rpm point the clutch is disengage, and it is because airflow at the speed the car travels outflows what the fan can produce. This is where stock clutch fan is better than aftermarket e-fan solution because in this situation, the clutch fan is off, free spinning by incoming air when the e-fans may stilling run because the thermo switch kept the fans on.

This is really funny. Lower efficiency because engine bay is hot? Our engine is not air cooled. It is normal that the engine bay is hot when the engine is hot...

Clutch fan is on when your car sits, E fan is not. Again, this does not make clutch fan better.

Again, you said "due to shrouding." So, do you have the result when your e fan setup is right?

You ran a shitty e fan setup and say it is shit, when you run a proper oem setup and say it is great? It's just like SR guys saying KAT sucks because they cannot handle boost as well, but in the real world, they are just as great as each other. A proper e fan setup will be as great as a stock clutch fan setup, plus you have easier access to the front of the engine. But in terms of cooling capability, they are equal if done right.

What? engrish?

I said that it is up to the user? In my case it cools down around 6-10 degrees Celsius from where my electronic fans cooled. I hit the same temperatures with the "Right Fans" as you call them (Altima fans) as I did with the other e-fans I ran and they have a significant amount of shrouding. I cleaned my condenser and now with the syclone fan combined with the clutch fan/ shroud combo my a/c is a lot cooler. I am not telling people what to run. Run what you want but I can tell you that my mechanical fan setup cools my s14a sr20det better than Altima and el-cheapo electronic fans (that come with the Mishomoto radiator combination) did. It is a fact as I can track temperatures with my Power FC. I really think maybe I should not have used the thermostat but after a few full throttle 18 lb boost runs then it does not matter it will hit the ideal temperature anyway.

It is not an opinion that would be something that has no merit in factual information. I have ran the Altima fans, the misho electronic fans and now the mechanical fans and they cool better than those other two options did on my car.
jamanrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2010, 02:49 PM   #62
Darius
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
Darius is on the path to ruinDarius is on the path to ruinDarius is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You're correct. There is no industry standard for disclosing air flow because it would be at a set pressure on both sides of the fan. Get rid of the ebay fans because they are junk.

Spend some good money on Spal or FAL fans. I have 2 12-inch Spal pushers on my condenser on my S14 RB25 and my AC blew cold....until it leaked out of a hose crimp this winter. Doh. Gotta fix it.
Darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:18 PM   #63
chituntang
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
chituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nice
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
In nowhere I said that you did not get the result you got.

You did a clutch fan swap along with cleaning the condenser and with the syclone fan. And you are comparing this new, clean setup with you old dirty setup. You did not eliminate all the other possible bugs/problems on your old setup. So, you really should not compare the two setup in the first place.

Again, nobody said your setup sucks. Nobody said your setup does not work. I am not here to tell people what to run either. And I am not making shit up either (prove Nismo thermostat cools engine better than oem thermostat).

But your setup is better in what way? When you can lay your hand on the valve cover? Or when your engine is running at 89-90 degree C, which is not even close to 180 degree F (maybe your engine is always overheating with the old setup)?

Oh, in case you cannot understand what I just said: NOBODY SAID YOUR SETUP IS SHITTY. NOBODY SAID YOUR ENGINE IS NOT RUNNING COOLER WITH THE NEW SETUP.

Just stop saying e fan setup is shitty. They are not.
chituntang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:49 PM   #64
jamanrr
Zilvia Member

Quote:
In nowhere I said that you did not get the result you got.

You did a clutch fan swap along with cleaning the condenser and with the syclone fan. And you are comparing this new, clean setup with you old dirty setup. You did not eliminate all the other possible bugs/problems on your old setup. So, you really should not compare the two setup in the first place.

Again, nobody said your setup sucks. Nobody said your setup does not work. I am not here to tell people what to run either. And I am not making shit up either (prove Nismo thermostat cools engine better than oem thermostat).

But your setup is better in what way? When you can lay your hand on the valve cover? Or when your engine is running at 89-90 degree C, which is not even close to 180 degree F (maybe your engine is always overheating with the old setup)?

Oh, in case you cannot understand what I just said: NOBODY SAID YOUR SETUP IS SHITTY. NOBODY SAID YOUR ENGINE IS NOT RUNNING COOLER WITH THE NEW SETUP.

Just stop saying e fan setup is shitty. They are not.
I never said that e fans were shitty and where in anything I posted did I say e-fans suck. You do realize as well, that the clutch fan was meant to run with that engine? The idle will stay more constant as well as the temperatures during hard pulls. That is all I am saying. It gets HOT as hell where I live and the temps easily hit 100+ F with 80 to 100 percent humidity during summer days and at a stand still with the old electric fans, the car would overheat eventually after a 30 minutes or so. That is not the case now due to the mechanical fan.

The condenser was pretty clean as well before I switched so I doubt there was much if any benefit there? As far as the NISMO thermostat, it was 50 bucks and it opens at 62 degrees Celsius as compared to 76.x on the other one. It does not make the engine any cooler other than opening the thermostat sooner which makes it take longer to get up to operating temperatures. Who knows what benefits it could make other than if you track the car which I mainly run on the streets anyway.

I will say this, You can get more consistent cooling capabilities out of the old mechanical fan shroud combination. You may experience a little more lag when coming off boost but when you are making your power then it is not so obvious. To me the positives far out weigh the negatives. Then again it is your car and you can do what you want. This was a learning experience for me and that is why I posted it here. I could have saved myself a little money if I would just have made the mechanical fan work from the start instead of having to go through a 3 year learning curve.

on a average hot summer days I would see:

e fan setup: 95 -104 degrees Celsius
mech fan/ shroud with flex a lite small syclone fan: 88-90 sometimes 91 degrees Celsius

which would you choose?
Old 06-29-2010, 04:08 PM   #65
chituntang
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
chituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nice
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I stated in the first post that "JDM drifters runs clutch fan because they do not have to swap SR's into their S chassis. I know they have clutch fan stock. I came from Hong Kong where we drive on the opposite side of the road like in Japan, and I have seen plenty of them when I was a kid.

You do not have to keep saying what you said in the other responses you have in this thread, about the difference in temp you log between new and old setup. We all got it.

When you drive above 35mph (my experience is more like 45mph btw), the airflow your car creates outflows either setup we run. So if your car is overheating after driving for a period of time, it is not because of the fan. Ever see a F1 car now a days runs any fans? It is all about ductings, like your fan shroud.

You are using your single experience on your car to dispute people like codyace, which actually tunes/builds cars for people for a living? And you went on and question if he knows his shit or not?
chituntang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:31 PM   #66
jamanrr
Zilvia Member

Quote:
I stated in the first post that "JDM drifters runs clutch fan because they do not have to swap SR's into their S chassis. I know they have clutch fan stock. I came from Hong Kong where we drive on the opposite side of the road like in Japan, and I have seen plenty of them when I was a kid.

You do not have to keep saying what you said in the other responses you have in this thread, about the difference in temp you log between new and old setup. We all got it.

When you drive above 35mph (my experience is more like 45mph btw), the airflow your car creates outflows either setup we run. So if your car is overheating after driving for a period of time, it is not because of the fan. Ever see a F1 car now a days runs any fans? It is all about ductings, like your fan shroud.

You are using your single experience on your car to dispute people like codyace, which actually tunes/builds cars for people for a living? And you went on and question if he knows his shit or not?
My car never overheated especially while running. It did one time right after I got the turbo setup tuned in 105 degree heat went into the H zone and wanted to overheat. That was due to stop and go and the supreme heat off the asphalt came through the engine and made it run hotter than it ever has before. It was a one time thing when I had e-fans. I did not question Codyace and thought he was in the military? I may have said somethings but it was just talk like he came back to me on. He supports the s13 community well.
that is all.