Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:01 PM   #31
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
BigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolf View Post
Get used to it.. ARP moved production facilities to china about 6 months ago. Alot of racers have found this out.

as for the stud in the block... you'll need this

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

I know I don't even use ARP for anything any more.
I'll either get the bolts I need from fastenal, or from McMaster Carr, fucking expensive bolts but the quality and grade is superior. Just putting it out there that there are alternatives to ARP.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:18 PM   #32
mattro
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
mattro is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVinnie View Post
I'll either get the bolts I need from fastenal, or from McMaster Carr, fucking expensive bolts but the quality and grade is superior. Just putting it out there that there are alternatives to ARP.
cool cool, i will look into fastenal, there is one near me.
mattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:22 PM   #33
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
wow i did not know they moved to CHINA

what a total FAIL

doesnt really matter for me, I only recommend the Maxworx ones now...
Old 08-08-2009, 04:45 AM   #34
TheWolf
Zilvia FREAK!

TheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shadows View Post
wow i did not know they moved to CHINA

what a total FAIL

doesnt really matter for me, I only recommend the Maxworx ones now...
Alot of builders have been having problems with new Arp2000 rod bolts with what were bullet proof setups they had been running for years. I know one guy who's got 4 motors in his shop with split rods. They've switched to the aged 625 stuff and it seems to have fixed it.

I thought mazworx kit was ARP studs just in 1/2" instead of the metric.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:38 PM   #35
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Alot of builders have been having problems with new Arp2000 rod bolts with what were bullet proof setups they had been running for years. I know one guy who's got 4 motors in his shop with split rods. They've switched to the aged 625 stuff and it seems to have fixed it.

I thought mazworx kit was ARP studs just in 1/2" instead of the metric.

I believe Mazworx worked in collaboration with ARP to design a headbolt/stud specifically for our application, rather than the generic units most of use have. Their bolts seat all the way down in the head similiar to the Greddy/Tomei units, that preload the threads in the block before you start trqing them down.

The 1/2" studs are an upgrade and requires machining to your head/block.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:49 PM   #36
steve shadows
Post Whore!

steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Yeah I suggest the big BOYS, for the serious people
Old 08-09-2009, 12:25 PM   #37
chingon
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
chingon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Haha, I was gonna suggest MCmaster Carr. I always wondered how much it would cost to put together a stud set from their catalogue....and then sell as aftermarket super-duper mega bolts ala ARP.
chingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:18 PM   #38
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

BigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by chingon View Post
Haha, I was gonna suggest MCmaster Carr. I always wondered how much it would cost to put together a stud set from their catalogue....and then sell as aftermarket super-duper mega bolts ala ARP.

SHHHHH! we aren't suppose to be giving away the McMaster-CARR secrets.
Before you know it all we would need from JGS is the manifold flanges, instead of a kit thats over priced, while everyone else buy's the exhaust tubing for a fraction of the price....
Only people that are into aeronautics,mechanical engineering, and industrial work really know alot about McMaster-Carr.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:44 PM   #39
mattro
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Get used to it.. ARP moved production facilities to china about 6 months ago. Alot of racers have found this out.

as for the stud in the block... you'll need this

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

according to the cust service ppl at arp there still made entirely in the usa, i made a point to ask.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #40
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattro View Post
according to the cust service ppl at arp there still made entirely in the usa, i made a point to ask.

I asked too. Its not the production that moved to china. The steel is coming from china, and if the steel isn't processed/forged correctly it will be brittle and snap. I've been using Chinese steel for some industrial applications and it's horrendous. I've literally snapped number 4 rebar with my bare hands.
The good steel comes from USA, Germany, and India but it's almost double the price.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:23 AM   #41
TheWolf
Zilvia FREAK!

TheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant future
Quote:
then I guess it should read "Made in the USA with Chinese Materials"
Old 08-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #42
mattro
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
then I guess it should read "Made in the USA with Chinese Materials"
lol yea pretty much.

next time i do anything and arp is an option, im using the other option.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:41 PM   #43
mattro
Zilvia Junkie

so i get my new bolt in the mail, and not wanting to live through ^ that again, i took it to my friends dad, who has built many many engines. and who also happens to be ASE certified. you will not guess what happened AGAIN but in a different location in the block.

im seriously packing my lemon suit to fly to cali and camp outside of ARP's corporate office.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:58 PM   #44
mattro
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
anyone who uses english in the following maner "ARP CANT BE TRUSTED NO MORE"

cannot be trusted.

You need to slow down for a second and think logically.

Mazworx makes a far superior stud set but is tripple the price.

It is very possible you got the wrong units, defects or tool failure in you have the exactly right instrucitons.

Something is off though...105 is ALOT, unless they revised the kit from a couple of years ago

i checked into the mazworx stud kit, arp makes it. so thats fubar.

any other suggestions?
Old 08-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #45
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
I believe Mazworx worked in collaboration with ARP to design a headbolt/stud specifically for our application, rather than the generic units most of us have. Their bolts seat all the way down in the head similiar to the Greddy/Tomei units, that preload the threads in the block before you start trqing them down.

The 1/2" studs are an upgrade and requires machining to your head/block.
Quote:

any other suggestions?
Welcome to the conversation...

I'm telling you man, 80ft-lbs is all the higher you should be trqing them. I understand ARP has said 105ft-lbs, but you've now twisted off 2 ARP's.

I've bought 2 sets from them, one as recently as Jan. Both of my kits have said 80ft-lbs.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:47 PM   #46
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

DAMN IT!! The mcmaster-carr bolt is 20mm shorter!!!!

Fastenal does offer the bolt. Cost $5.14
General Information
Fastenal Part No. (SKU) 23924
UNSPSC 31161518
Manufacturer FNL
Category Fasteners > Sockets > Socket Cap Screws
Diameter 5/8"
Drive Hex
Drive Size 1/2"
Finish Plain
Length 4"
Material Steel
Thread Fine
Thread Size 18

Last edited by BigVinnie; 08-18-2009 at 06:40 PM..
BigVinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:03 PM   #47
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
DAMN IT!! The mcmaster-carr bolt is 20mm shorter!!!!

Fastenal does offer the bolt. Cost $5.14
General Information
Fastenal Part No. (SKU) 23924
UNSPSC 31161518
Manufacturer FNL
Category Fasteners > Sockets > Socket Cap Screws
Diameter 5/8"
Drive Hex
Drive Size 1/2"
Finish Plain
Length 4"
Material Steel
Thread Fine
Thread Size 18
This is no different than a factory head bolt. Studs have a much higher clamping force than bolts.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:10 PM   #48
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Quote:

any other suggestions?
I would contact Maxworx direct, i know they were making thier own in-house that were about 350 bucks for the set...i know I know...but call them and see what is up and voice your concerns...
Old 08-21-2009, 09:34 AM   #49
McCoy
Zilvia Junkie

McCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
I would contact Maxworx direct, i know they were making thier own in-house that were about 350 bucks for the set...i know I know...but call them and see what is up and voice your concerns...
Actually, there head stud kit is $184.99... straight from their website.

Mazworx
McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:41 AM   #50
AznXstazy
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
AznXstazy has a little shameless behavior in the past
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
just reuse the kits you ordered. replace the ones you messed up with the ones in your new kit or vis versa. as for tqing them so high i would NOT. even honda kits tq them to manufacture spec. arp recommended like 95lbs and i was about to break a the studs in there i could feel it. and left it at 65lbs. factory spec was 63. and i been driving it for about a month now. 300 miles a week. running fine. no leaky headgasket or anything. just my .02
AznXstazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:06 PM   #51
mattro
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCoy View Post
Actually, there head stud kit is $184.99... straight from their website.

Mazworx

but it is a arp product.

anywho. update i got a call from arp today. seems that lots of ppl are having this exact problem, and it turns out it was bad assembly lube. theve shipped a brand new kit and new "fixed" lube.

and new "revised" tq instructions.

and i said "lube" 3 times in this post !

now all i have to do is reach arou....

rofl. done.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:16 PM   #52
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

Blame it on the LUBE!!!! LOL
I blame it on the the steel!!!
They even released different TQ specs.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:37 PM   #53
jr_ss
Post Whore!

I'd go to 80 and stop...
Old 08-21-2009, 08:04 PM   #54
mattro
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
I'd go to 80 and stop...

yea thats what the guy on the phone said.

but yea.

its always a safe bet to blame the lube.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:08 PM   #55
steve shadows
Post Whore!

I usually suggest 75 MAX, 80 absolute MAX to The MAX, MAXOR!!!!!
Old 08-25-2009, 03:10 PM   #56
mattro
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
I usually suggest 75 MAX, 80 absolute MAX to The MAX, MAXOR!!!!!
they just sent me new instructions that say 85 lol
Old 08-25-2009, 07:25 PM   #57
jr_ss
Post Whore!

75-80, you'll be fine there...
Old 08-26-2009, 04:17 AM   #58
Tantwoforty
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (20)
Tantwoforty is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
at least they took care of you.
Tantwoforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:43 PM   #59
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
they just sent me new instructions that say 85 lol

What is the PSI tensile strength of those studs?
Old 08-26-2009, 04:31 PM   #60
mattro
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
What is the PSI tensile strength of those studs?
off the top of my head i have no clue. where would one look for this info?