Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:25 PM   #31
Hyozan
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Hyozan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I see. so would this be smart then, buy a 1jz an put some money into that, or jus blow all the money an jus buy a stalk 2jz?
Hyozan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #32
chuki.s13.coupe.
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
chuki.s13.coupe. is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyozan View Post
Jus cause im 17 deosn mean i cant afford either. I have almos 7k saved up, an im jus trying to do research on these engines. An I dont want an ls series engine because my older brother lets me borrow his 70 chevelle, an I jus dont want a v8
Got bank statement to prove it? Lol jk
chuki.s13.coupe. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:28 PM   #33
redline racer510
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
redline racer510 is on the path to ruinredline racer510 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
To me it sounds like your choosing an engine on the wow factor. The whole point of the rb26 is the awd factor which you lose swapping into and s13, the 2jz is a better choice because it has higher displacement, tried and true method to achieving high hp goals(400+). I have a rb25 because it was practical and reached my goals(I6,turbo,sounds awesome,nissan engine,smooth powerband) you need to be realistic. BTW bang for your buck would be ls1, plenty of torque cheap to maintain, replacement parts easy to attain, slap a turbo on and you got a monster although they aren't built to handle much boost in stock form.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #34
Hyozan
Leaky Injector

oh i see an no i dont have a bank statement its cash sitting in my room. An im not trying to go on the wow factor, its jus i know these engine are powerful an unique engins. I would like to try to stay in the jdm an not go for an american v8, its not my prefference.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:47 PM   #35
JSimpson
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (15)
JSimpson is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Word man. I hate all these guys between 25 and 35 who shit on us for being young and talking about these expensive swaps... Don't they realize we have nothing but cars to waste all our money on lol.

But as far as the topic at hand, "2JZ engine no shit" ...havent you seen Fast and furious?!
JSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:50 PM   #36
2JZNo_S**t

2JZNo_S**t is an unknown quantity at this point
2jz no s***?!?!
2JZNo_S**t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #37
Wake
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (8)
Wake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Wake Send a message via Yahoo to Wake
What you guys need to realize that us "old" guys. Are trying to get you to do your own research and answer your own questions. Just like we had to do when we were your age ans NOBODY was doing swaps yet.

Problem is you guys just get mad at us and take it personal instead of taking the initiative to do the research and answer all the questions you may have had.

Basically we already know where the info is, and its not hard to find. We just want to see the next generation of car guys be responsible and know what they are doing, Not just ask what will basically amount to someones opinion.
S.P.P.S. Member #00
**CoUpe LOve** Member #00
Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:53 PM   #38
Hyozan
Leaky Injector

hahahaha i agree. were young an waste our money on our rides. an that is true that supra is an amazing car. an i understand were your coming from wake bhr. I have done a lot of research, dont get me wrong i like to learn things on my own, but its always good to see what other people know to as well, so you can exspand your own knowlege, isnt that correct?

Last edited by Hyozan; 08-30-2011 at 06:30 PM..
Old 08-30-2011, 08:26 PM   #39
redline racer510
Zilvia FREAK!

Cool

Quote:
oh i see an no i dont have a bank statement its cash sitting in my room. An im not trying to go on the wow factor, its jus i know these engine are powerful an unique engins. I would like to try to stay in the jdm an not go for an american v8, its not my prefference.

Let me break this down for you. Usually when people ask really ignorant questions(by no mean calling you uneducated) and also can't properly spell or properly put a sentence together(might want to listen to those red lines sometimes) people on car forums especially on Zilvia really won't take you seriously, increasingly when you bring large amounts of money into the spotlight.
BTW the most powerful of those engines happens to be the v8(ls1) so yea it does sound like your in it for the wow factor not functionality.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:18 PM   #40
Hyozan
Leaky Injector

Guess that would be your opinion. an the way i type an spell has nothing to do with any of this. i only spell this an type the way i do cause its my style regardless if you like it or not. an the some of money that was brought up was only brought up to see what were my options. an if you think im in it for the wow factor then fine doesn matter. ill continue with my research an figure it out when the time comes. an my answer stands for the ls series engine. i will not put one in my 240, maybe in a future car, but not this one.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:15 PM   #41
redline racer510
Zilvia FREAK!

Nothing of what was said is an opinion.
1.Usually when people ask really ignorant questions(by no mean calling you uneducated) and also can't properly spell or properly put a sentence together(might want to listen to those red lines sometimes) people on car forums especially on Zilvia really won't take you seriously, increasingly when you bring large amounts of money into the spotlight.

Answer:
How many threads do you want me to copy and paste that have the same type of question and material that has been covered many time that have been flamed to hell?
BTW this is not an opinion.

2.BTW the most powerful of those engines happens to be the v8(ls1) so yea it does sound like your in it for the wow factor not functionality.

Answer:
rb26dett 280hp/260tq
2jzgte 321hp/320tq
ls1 350hp/361tq
Again not an opinion.

So let me get this, you like writing like your illiterate and you call it "your" style, that really shows your intelligence. Please prove me wrong, show us some drift and autocross racing you do with your "silver" top s14 engine. I really do think your in it for the wow factor if you are really serious with drifting or autocross it wouldn't even be a guess to what engine would be the best choice not that it would be the only choice but the obvious one non the less. IMHO just skip to the future car with the LS1 engine and please do continue your research.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:33 PM   #42
JSimpson

WHO CARES if a "rod pushin" POS chevy makes more power stock? If we were all crazy about power we would have foxbody stangs with TT 5.0s making 1000hp... The kid clearly wants an inline 6 mainly because A. they sound like sex compared to v8 B. they make alot of power. and C. They have the ability to turn up the boost and beat the hell out of an LS

2JZ FTMFW
Old 08-30-2011, 10:52 PM   #43
AS240
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (18)
AS240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I agree 100% with JSimpson on this one. its also a known fact that nissan and toyota under-rated the power of their engines. and when you're doing a swap, you expect most people to throw on an exhaust and all the other bpu mods.
my rb25 makes 315whp on the stock turbo with a safc. i poop all over my friends ls1 coupe all day. id hate to see what a r26 or even a 2j would do with the stock twins and the same mods.
AS240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:57 PM   #44
redline racer510
Zilvia FREAK!

LOL, no doubt, we can get 1000hp from just about anything these days, but the reason I took the position I did was because he brought up drifting and autocross and the likely hood he is on a budget which does't make sense to me. A ls1 swap isn't nearly as expensive as a rb26/2jz and is really easy to make power with reliably and has plenty of low-mid range torque which is ideal for drift and autocross with driving skill set aside. And apparently the pro drift community cares enough to create a class for the "rod pushin" POS chevy(really v8's but most are ls engines). Dont get me wrong I'm not a Chevy whore but you got to admit their pretty badass engines when put in a s-chassis. eeewwwwwwwwwwww 5.0 foxbody blahhhhhh.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:06 PM   #45
curbhuggerrps13
Zilvia Addict

curbhuggerrps13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to curbhuggerrps13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSimpson View Post
They have the ability to turn up the boost and beat the hell out of an LS

2JZ FTMFW
....till the ls decides to boost too
curbhuggerrps13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:10 PM   #46
AS240
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (18)
AS240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
the only ls that has ever pulled on me, (besides those damn ls7s..7.0L wtf is that sh!t?), is my friends ls2 6 speed vert. sikky longtubes that lead to a single apexi n1 dual, intake, and a tune made 399whp. bastard just walks me WITH THE TOP DOWN! lol. he got the motor for dirt cheap, but is was most certainly not cheaper than my entire rb25 swap.
AS240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:28 PM   #47
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
Guess that would be your opinion. an the way i type an spell has nothing to do with any of this. i only spell this an type the way i do cause its my style regardless if you like it or not. an the some of money that was brought up was only brought up to see what were my options. an if you think im in it for the wow factor then fine doesn matter. ill continue with my research an figure it out when the time comes. an my answer stands for the ls series engine. i will not put one in my 240, maybe in a future car, but not this one.

So you are saying in effect your style is to look and be considered illiterate? Reallly? I mean really. Because that is what you are stating above.

If that is so you will have a hard time having people take you seriously in life. Oh and they will think you are ghetto even if you aren't.

Don't get pissed because I am telling you this. You asked for advise and opinions and you did it in a really screwed up way.

Now lets get back to the engine thing.

I have run a RB25 in a S chassis and while it was powerful I do not think it was ideal and I would most likely not do it again. Same goes for my opinion on a 2J or a 1j.

This may freak some people out because I was a big proponent of RB's and whatnot. Great engines for cars designed to handle an inline 6. Which technically S chassis's were not. The engine compartment is barely large enough length wise. Yes the engine will fit but no its not ideal and you have to do certain things outside the norm to compensate.

With that said if you are intent on keeping it a Japanese engine then I would say go with a VH45 or a VQ. VH45's could be had for damn cheap to . $500 a engine. You will have to purchase a $1200 adapter plate to bolt up a manual trans though.

Or you could run a VQ35DE Engine and trans weight equal to that of a stock KA and trans. Fits in the engine bay nicely. Has a lot of torque. Can be quite fast.

Now that I have literally given you the info you should have done your own research for I suggest you take heed on the grammar suggestions. If you want to be taken seriously.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:30 PM   #48
JSimpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbhuggerrps13 View Post
....till the ls decides to boost too
2jz is a head gasket and head studs away from holding 1000hp internally. Pistons would be flying through the hood if you pushed an LS that far on stock internals.

Also, unrelated to the OP, a far cheaper way to surpass boosting an LS just to have 600-700hp: A chevy sprint car motor has the same bellhousing bolt pattern as LS, weights on the south side of 350lbs, has 410ci, revs 8500RPM, and a shittttyyy weak one makes 750hp NA. $7k for 800hp!

I agree with above poster, VH45 is awesome but in a much different way than a 2J/RB. And if you need the wiring done for it hit me up, my VH harnesses are cheap and badass!
Old 08-30-2011, 11:39 PM   #49
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Oh and by why I want to see hands of how many people in this thread are actually running 500hp plus S chassis's on the street. LOL

Seriously I have seen so many threads were people talk big about running or building a 500+ HP S chassis for street use. I bet most of you would not even know how to handle driving that.

Not putting anyone down but the fact is there are around a handful of guys on this forum with cars like that. The majority are just dreamers that don't have more than 200 HP on tap maybe 250.
I owned and ran a 300+whp S chassis on the street i.e. close to 380hp flywheel. It was a monster and fast as hell. ( Yes it was an RB car)
I start seeing people talk about 500-700 hp cars and I just start laughing . Most would not be able to drive them, let alone actually having them.

Call me jaded but I know its the truth.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:43 PM   #50
JSimpson

My hand is up LOL. Anything north of 475whp is just dumb until 4th you are correct
Old 08-30-2011, 11:43 PM   #51
Sideways570sx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
Sideways570sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
For one you have 7 grand sitting in your room? Dumb. For two, your comment about staying jdm, is a very typical fanboy response. Get with the times and look at the facts. Ls1 is a better overall bang for the buck swap. Not only for that reason, but you really dont have much saved. Money for the swap alone is not enough, think about shit you will find on the way, need to replace or upgrade. Then u get it running right? Shit goes wrong again, u have money for that? Foe the tune? For all the shit you wont be able to do. I bet you theres guys on here with rb26dett swaps that have at least 20k into the engine. Hell i know sOme guys that have 15 grand into NA ls1s. And tbose parts are way cheaper to upgrade then a rb26. Bang for the buck reliability and performance on a budget. Ls1. Or just go sr for the fanboys.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:08 AM   #52
towlie
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (11)
towlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by drift freaq View Post
Oh and by why I want to see hands of how many people in this thread are actually running 500hp plus S chassis's on the street. LOL

Seriously I have seen so many threads were people talk big about running or building a 500+ HP S chassis for street use. I bet most of you would not even know how to handle driving that.

Not putting anyone down but the fact is there are around a handful of guys on this forum with cars like that. The majority are just dreamers that don't have more than 200 HP on tap maybe 250.
I owned and ran a 300+whp S chassis on the street i.e. close to 380hp flywheel. It was a monster and fast as hell. ( Yes it was an RB car)
I start seeing people talk about 500-700 hp cars and I just start laughing . Most would not be able to drive them, let alone actually having them.

Call me jaded but I know its the truth.
Thanks for bringing that up.

I always get a laugh from people throwing out numbers and engines like it's no big deal

"Sup guys, I have 7k and I can't decide which motor I want for my 500whp street car. Oh yeah I'm 17 and have only been driving for a year now."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways570sx View Post
For one you have 7 grand sitting in your room? Dumb. For two, your comment about staying jdm, is a very typical fanboy response. Get with the times and look at the facts. Ls1 is a better overall bang for the buck swap. Not only for that reason, but you really dont have much saved. Money for the swap alone is not enough, think about shit you will find on the way, need to replace or upgrade. Then u get it running right? Shit goes wrong again, u have money for that? Foe the tune? For all the shit you wont be able to do. I bet you theres guys on here with rb26dett swaps that have at least 20k into the engine. Hell i know sOme guys that have 15 grand into NA ls1s. And tbose parts are way cheaper to upgrade then a rb26. Bang for the buck reliability and performance on a budget. Ls1. Or just go sr for the fanboys.
So by your logic, anyone who has a Japanese motor in their Japanese car and prefers to not have an LS, is a fanboy?
towlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:20 AM   #53
Sideways570sx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
Sideways570sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I said it that way because hes dismissing the idea of an ls1. Which like i said is typical fanboy talk. Judging by your response, u might be the type. Did u see me post that any nissan engine swaps into s chassis are fanboy shit? No. His post came off that way, so im just making sure hes not thinking that way. Haha
Old 08-31-2011, 12:28 AM   #54
curbhuggerrps13
Zilvia Addict

curbhuggerrps13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to curbhuggerrps13
Op it's your car and your money, be serious about practicality and use that money for hookers and blow....duh
curbhuggerrps13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:30 AM   #55
towlie
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (11)
towlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Haha, I'm not denying that the OP is a fanboy.. Made that quite obvious with the "keep it jdm" remark

Quote:
Did u see me post that any nissan engine swaps into s chassis are fanboy shit?
Quote:
Or just go SR for the fanboys
Dur, what?
towlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:45 AM   #56
beto300zx
Leaky Injector

beto300zx is an unknown quantity at this point
Rb or 2jz

The only thing or suggestion I can give you is:

1. Keep your KA.
2. Learn the basics about car control (watch the drift bible).
3. Invest the money you have in suspention, brakes and tires.
4. Do the most events that you can, autocross, drift and road race.

You will know when the time is right to move to something better and bigger, when the time comes you will know your driving style and what you need, than build the car for your needs.

I hope that really helps, good luck.
beto300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:38 AM   #57
tehkmob
Zilvia Junkie

tehkmob is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeBHR View Post
Just picked up a VR38DETT for my s13.

Build thread coming soon......
Wow, good luck with that... how much you spend on the motor if you dont mind me asking.. I already spoke with a shop having a bitch of a time mounting a tranny to it. Good luck. unique as fuck but risky as hell.
tehkmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:51 AM   #58
tehkmob
Zilvia Junkie

tehkmob is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Jus cause im 17 deosn mean i cant afford either. I have almos 7k saved up, an im jus trying to do research on these engines. An I dont want an ls series engine because my older brother lets me borrow his 70 chevelle, an I jus dont want a v8
Fuck a 2J and a RB, for 500+ on a rb reliably expect to spend 5k+ in parts and tuning alone, not to mention the oiling demons RB's have that cause failures. 2J is cheaper, more reliable but still looking at spending close to 10k to complete swap before mods unless your a mechanical guru...

LS swap is the way to go.. And fuck a chevelle, It weighs almost 4k lbs, its night in day from a chevelle 4k lbs to a s13 2200 lbs... Besides over 500 hp in a S chassis is pretty redundant... if you really set on a swap, swap a VQ35DE (HR is overpriced and parts are expensive.) you can get everything for a DE swap for under 4K and my Z33 STOCK can run side by side with a R6 from 50-100 (almost actually he'll pull my front bumper but from 100-140 I can catch and start to pass...

Your layout:
1: Swap a VQ in your car
2: LEARN how to drive!!
3: mod VQ accordingly

Trust me, a SR and VQ are night and day as well, I'd swap a vq over a sr anyday.

In the end you'll do whatever you want, But im sure if you dont have the seat time you're 1: gunna kill yourself (Which I pray you dont, I hate seeing people die in cars) or 2: all that money is going to be a waste cuz you'll prolly kill your car..

Be reasonable with your decision, I've had my Z33 for 3 years and left the motor stock, I've had a z06 engine sitting in the garage for a year. I'm prolly going to swap THAT into a S13 and leave my Z be..

Hope I shed some light on some things for you, and that I might have been just a little helpful in your decision.

~Dustin

edit: Oh, to add, The fastest car In Japan for some years WAS (not sure if it still is) a twin turbo c5 z06, just some food for thought on what the JDM's are doing. Not to mention a shop Apartment 9 Just dropped a built LS7 into a s13 chassis.. So about keeping it JDM... Your the only one, hhahaa the JDM's are keepin it USDM...
tehkmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:48 AM   #59
Wake
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (8)
Wake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Wake Send a message via Yahoo to Wake
Hey Dustin,

Your a fucking idiot.

Everyone else,
The kid said he doesnt want a chevy V8, fucking drop it.

OP,
I say you VQ it and call it a day.
S.P.P.S. Member #00
**CoUpe LOve** Member #00
Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:04 AM   #60
babillaracing
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
babillaracing is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
for 500 whp i would do the ls swap. at the end will be cheaper .

618 whp tuned by alpha
babillaracing is offline   Reply With Quote