Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #91
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Very interested to see what it makes on the dyno.
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #92
R@ddy
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (32)
R@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
lol are you using 100 low lead for fuel? "avgas"
R@ddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:11 AM   #93
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
LuckyX2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Were you able to get it dynoed on the 29th?
LuckyX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #94
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
I thought Aviation fuel wasn't to be used in cars?

Hope all went well.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #95
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Aviation fuel is actually a higher quality fuel than that of the local gas station Cody. It is also leaded and typically lead destroys catalytic converters, but if you don't have one, no big deal. Muscle car guys run it all the time.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #96
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Aviation fuel is actually a higher quality fuel than that of the local gas station Cody. It is also leaded and typically lead destroys catalytic converters, but if you don't have one, no big deal. Muscle car guys run it all the time.
I'll be the first to admit i'm not a fuel junky, but I can remember (for some reason) some of the old heads at the track talking about how AV Gas has harmful burn charecteristics, and that it's been known to even destroy valves/o2 sensors and more.

Again, i don't have any first hand experience, but something tells me that if it was ok and safe to use, that more would be doing so, versus running the traditional race fuel you can buy these days.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 05-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #97
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
LuckyX2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
I'll be the first to admit i'm not a fuel junky, but I can remember (for some reason) some of the old heads at the track talking about how AV Gas has harmful burn charecteristics, and that it's been known to even destroy valves/o2 sensors and more.

Again, i don't have any first hand experience, but something tells me that if it was ok and safe to use, that more would be doing so, versus running the traditional race fuel you can buy these days.
The lead in the fuel is what harms the 02 sensors. Not sure about valves tho.
LuckyX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #98
tabasco122
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
tabasco122 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
leaded gas can also harm wastegate diaphrams. if you intend on running leaded fuel i believe tial makes special wastegates for it
tabasco122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:58 AM   #99
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
idahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to idahotuner Send a message via MSN to idahotuner
haha, i havent been on here for a few days, but wen i mentioned going to the car show and dyno on sunday my sister "kindly" reminded me here wedding was saturday, so i couldnt leave, and wedding lead to receptions, and then after parties, then strip clubs blah blah blah, so no dyno.

but its fine i got a boost leak problem i am trying to resolve, even though i have t bolt clamps and only running 10 psi, its getting past couplers, so we did a leak test and actually found the throttle body was leaking all the way around, and had to redo the throttle body gasket. also i had a bolt fall out but i cant figure where it goes, it didnt seem to come from any where important. and got the crank case setup back to stock so atleast i wont blow the dip stick out any more, and
got a new starter on the 240 and an extra one setting there cause the car was only firing off starting fluid or roll start, i know my starter was pretty toasted, i keep getting job calls for random spots in the northwest so inbetween jobs, i am trying to get these bugs worked out to run solid to makea dno worth the money,

oh and the 100 was leaded, but so is race fuel, it is what makes it stable, but i am straight piped so i am not to worried and i only ran 5 gallons back to 92 for now
idahotuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #100
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
ShadowMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I was reading an article about aviation fuels and the likes of other 100+ octane fuels. It mentioned something about even though it may have a high octane reading, certain forms have different burn rates, some fast some slow. so thats something to consider. I'll try and find it again and post the link but I would think if you could find the burn rate of standard gasoline of whatever octane you usaully run and then find the 100+ octane fuel with a similar burn rate then that wouldn't be a bad thing. My thought is that that the burn rate of the fuel or time it takes to burn would be almost as important as the mechanical timing, maybe equally important but I'm no fuel junky either. I think codyace has a point in just because its aviation fuel doesn't necessarily mean its good/better for you r car. And with a sig containing such a glorious mustache, he's gotta be on to something. Maybe it just so happens that the aviation fuel your using is acceptible but with all the time and money spent on your motor, it might be worth lookin into.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:16 AM   #101
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

idahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond repute
it was mostly a one time deal, to cancel out the 87 in my tank, i have 118 available, and the guys said it actually burned more like a 114 so thats what my 2nd tune is for
Old 05-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #102
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

makes sense to get all that low rate crud out, just drown it out with some really high rate stuff. i'm sure you prbably know more what your doing than what i think i know. Either way, nice job. i'm intersted as well to see what ur car puts down
Old 05-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #103
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

lol, yeah i am excited to, got to go switch starters again and see if this one does it for me. and then i need to shorten my dumb tube cause its get a annoying vibration at 3500 up
Old 05-10-2012, 07:48 AM   #104
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
4x4le is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 4x4le Send a message via Yahoo to 4x4le
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMan View Post
I was reading an article about aviation fuels and the likes of other 100+ octane fuels. It mentioned something about even though it may have a high octane reading, certain forms have different burn rates, some fast some slow. so thats something to consider. I'll try and find it again and post the link but I would think if you could find the burn rate of standard gasoline of whatever octane you usaully run and then find the 100+ octane fuel with a similar burn rate then that wouldn't be a bad thing. My thought is that that the burn rate of the fuel or time it takes to burn would be almost as important as the mechanical timing, maybe equally important but I'm no fuel junky either. I think codyace has a point in just because its aviation fuel doesn't necessarily mean its good/better for you r car. And with a sig containing such a glorious mustache, he's gotta be on to something. Maybe it just so happens that the aviation fuel your using is acceptible but with all the time and money spent on your motor, it might be worth lookin into.
You did make me think of something although i dont know if this confirms or denys anything, just food for thought.
In aircraft, the timing usually goes "all in" when the engine is up to speed. The engines do however tend to run at a steady rpm for the most part. The thing the pilot does do though is watch egts and adjust the fuel trim based off of that. Im yet to see one with a wideband but have only been in a few aircraft. I was really interested in seeing what air fuel ratios were being ran on the twin 500hp turbo flat 6 engines. I was inable to talk him into letting me hook up my lm1 though.
Anyways, it seemed really primitave for them to leave timing fixed and adjust egt by fuel trim only. You would think with as terrible the fuel economy as you get in a 7 passenger plane that there would be more ways to optomise its output.

That said, the fuel must be pretty stable and forgiving considering the lack of feedback of afr and running a fixed timing value considering these engines seem to be reliable.

Id hate to loose an engine on one of those planes. The glide ratio is terrible, you drop right out of the sky if you throttle down!
4x4le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #105
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

i am very happy with how the engine runs on just 7 pounds of boost, it never drops out of boost between gears, so when you get that initial thrust in 1st and 2nd gear it just pulls steady and you almost cant even feel the shifts, even driving easy it doesnt really drop out when shifting up. 3500 is when boost hits hard
Old 06-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #106
tabasco122
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
tabasco122 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Any updates.
tabasco122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #107
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

i went back to work. the car is washed and parked in my parents shop. working 70-85 hours a week, but i had an offer accepted on a house today with a 48x30 foot shop. so got a month to seal the deal i am excited!
Old 06-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #108
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Awesome! I can't wait to find a nice shop myself, and if it comes with a house for the wife and kids well all the better, hehehe. But seriously, I hope it works out for you, then once you get all moved in and setup you can get back to wrenching on your car and filling us in with updates. Hope it all works out.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #109
ForeignMuscle
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
ForeignMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I am ready to see numbers. I was trying to afford this same setup and had to settle for a 2871. Slightly jealous.
ForeignMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #110
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

Yeah took me a while to afford it a year and half of down time. I peiced it together slowly. Waiting for deals online. And even then I spent more on the kit then most spend on a swap Good news is my next job will be near home and so I can hit up some events. And get a Dyno in hopefully.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:28 PM   #111
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

well i am back home, and been working on wiring and this starting issue, ended up ordering a completely new wiring harness from wiring specialties, and had them put msd clips and resistors on it,

i have been fixing things the previous owner did when they did the swap, like the lack of using the brown dash plug, lets just say soldering this back on up under the dash was a PITA,

and putting the brown plug on the chassi harness, and wiring it up found several wires that were hooked up backwards, and not used, so my harness will be here tomorrow and we will see what pins are used on the chassi harness plug, and i will finish wiring that and see if she fires up,

pictures will come tomorrow and hopefully a dyne soon, i have just been busy and our road has been terrible
Old 03-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #112
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

well i have a little time here, i will show you what i did while traveling this summer, bought this for a dd.
high output 6.7 cummins 6 inch lift nitto 37 inch tires, st deluxe edition. 4wd on the floor

in north dakota i added a s&b intake, sinister egr delete kit, diamond eye 5 inch turbo back straight pipe exhaust.
smarty pro programer
then when i got to texas i added road armor front bumper and lines bed, quarter panels and flares

also had steps made and linex them.
and when i got home i ordered my Leer canopy with thule roof rack

and this is how it sits now

i average 14-17 mpg depending on how i drive it, i have it on the 130 hp setting, so i am sure its putting some power down considering they have 800 ft lbs of tq stock and 350 hp

really want an ats tranny and auroa 7500 twin turbo kit
Old 03-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #113
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

helped my buddy move got to use the old peet trailer
Old 03-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #114
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

lets just say it is taking me longer then 15 mins to install my wiring specialties harness, but mostly cause i have to wire in the avcr and put two new power plugs on my chassi harness, cut fingers and 2 hours later and i am still not done
Old 03-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #115
codyace
Post Whore!

What's your addy Ben, I need to send a towel your way for those tears

Haha jk Man. Nice truck btw!

Old 03-19-2013, 11:33 PM   #116
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

hehe i will just burrow some tampons from the wife.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #117
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

get my new harness all wired up, and had to redo a couple plugs, but the car fires right up now, should run a lot better in boost now too.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:20 PM   #118
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

video of me fucking around in the driveway today thanks to there being to much snow to get to the highway , but i got it registered today, just waiting on snow to LEAVE
Old 04-11-2013, 10:37 PM   #119
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

different cas installed not a single miss and pulls to red line like and animal, defiantly going turn it up now, after an oil change
Old 04-12-2013, 01:35 AM   #120
Frank_Jaeger
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Frank_Jaeger is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Awesome. I first read this thread last year. I love to see a car come together. Congrats, man!
Frank_Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote