Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #31
SMatyac

Trader Rating: (0)
SMatyac is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Man this has gotten some great responses.

I know I have a really good tune on it, so that isn't a problem. Right now I am not sure what the weak link is. Because nothing really failed except the oil drain line and it has been running 32psi for a few years now and no problems except the bearing, which has nothing to do with tune or power, its just because it ran low on oil.

So I guess nothing really HAS to be changed, because its been reliable at the hp level i want. lol.
SMatyac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #32
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Pistons are the weak link of the SR when pushing higher power levels. The rods can handle quite a bit of power. Make sure you slap a new oil pump on it as well.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #33
Future_gohan
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
Future_gohan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
Elaborate.

Why not use a recommended bearing clearance measurement tool by the FSM?

I plasti gauged my bearings
I'm curious as to why he stated that aswell, sense I use plasti gauge on everything i build and i never had an issue.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #34
SMatyac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Pistons are the weak link of the SR when pushing higher power levels. The rods can handle quite a bit of power. Make sure you slap a new oil pump on it as well.

Yeah I think i need new pistons anyways because my rings are probably getting pretty shot and I'm getting some blow by and not great comp ratio numbers.
Yeah I'm getting the whole block boil cleaned and getting all new oil stuff because I don't want metal shavings anywhere in the motor.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #35
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Coming from somebody who had a built 500hp SR20...

If you're goal is 400hp, fresh stock bottom end can handle it. Like already stated, tune. I've had friends in Japan who were rocking stock bottom end, built head, hooked up to TD06-25Gs, pushing over 460whp, beats the living crap out of the car everyday for 5 yrs, and DD'd it. Car never missed a beat since he took care of it.

Anything more than 400-450hp, not a big fan of SRs. They get too laggy and makes the car not fun to drive. I was running a GT3582R and I dont get into boost till closer to 5k. Anything below 5k, car might as well be NA. Biggest weakness of these engines is oil. You have any oiling related hiccup, kiss it goodbye. Doesnt matter if its built, tuned, itll blow.

With that said, I'm running an RB25 stateside now...I like the torque but my biggest gripe is how heavy the damn front of the car feels. It might be because I'm using Mckinney mounts. I dont remember my buddy's RB25'd S14 in Japan feeling this nose heavy, using R33 crossmember and mounts.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #36
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
I think the wheelbase and overall size of the S14 help obscure that reality. It is a bigger car than the S13, even though it's not by a whole lot.

I've often been tempted to do an RB swap, but I can't get over how heavy that motor is.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:04 PM   #37
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
I think the wheelbase and overall size of the S14 help obscure that reality. It is a bigger car than the S13, even though it's not by a whole lot.

I've often been tempted to do an RB swap, but I can't get over how heavy that motor is.
Heaaaaavy. I dont remember my buddy's car plowing like my car would. Just gotta get used to it and be quick to pull the ebrake to change angles when going sideways. I redid my suspension and is running 11k springs up front. Still doesnt feel enough.

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 03-22-2013, 11:20 PM   #38
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Properly refreshed stock bottom end, GT2871, appropriate fueling and tuning

Real deal reliable 400whp setup that will last you thousands of miles, give you a fatty 4000 rpm powerband, and be fun fun fun.

Beyond that, anything is possible, but even a blindfolded monkey in zero gravity can sort out a reliable SR20 to that level using FSM spec. The issue is, most people don't follow FSM spec.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:21 PM   #39
OrangeVirus1
BANNED

OrangeVirus1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Here is a super easy way to keep it reliable.

Change the oil regularly.
Don't rev the shit out of it.
Keep it at Stock boost on stock turbo.

reliable for life.

Rb20 isn't that heavy. only 600lbs with transmission.
OrangeVirus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #40
SMatyac

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeVirus1 View Post
Here is a super easy way to keep it reliable.

Change the oil regularly.
Don't rev the shit out of it.
Keep it at Stock boost on stock turbo.

reliable for life.

Rb20 isn't that heavy. only 600lbs with transmission.
Well if I never rev it and keep it at stock boost then whats the point of an sr? Definitely not for gas milage or DDability
I would have kept the KA in it if i wanted something slow. haha.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #41
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I threw my sr in my car 5 years ago when it came over from a junkyard in Japan.

Sometimes I don't change the oil when it needs it.
I rev the shit out of it, bang limiter every day.
Pushing 15psi on an s15 t28 among other mods.

It's never let me down in those 5 years of abuse and daily driving.

IMO the key to a healthy sr20 is beat on it. Mine loves it.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #42
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
I threw my sr in my car 5 years ago when it came over from a junkyard in Japan.

Sometimes I don't change the oil when it needs it.
I rev the shit out of it, bang limiter every day.
Pushing 15psi on an s15 t28 among other mods.

It's never let me down in those 5 years of abuse and daily driving.

Couldn't agree more, enjoying it is more important than reliability...next thing you know 8years have past, and you're still thinking about that rebuild you should do!

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #43
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Quote:
I agree with ya!

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 03-23-2013, 09:40 PM   #44
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Speaking of 400hp...

We talking to the crank right? Dont mind the red line, my damn coupler blew off on the last pull...

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 03-23-2013, 10:49 PM   #45
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotbu View Post
Couldn't agree more, enjoying it is more important than reliability...next thing you know 8years have past, and you're still thinking about that rebuild you should do!
Haha exactly! People worry too much and don't enjoy what they have. I was scared when I first got mine beause people told me they always spin the bearings when you first start it after a swap. Haha, since then i've let it sit for 6 months twice and ripped the oil pan off of the engine once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
I agree with ya!
Thanks Cody!
Old 03-23-2013, 10:58 PM   #46
jorge1190
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
jorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
My SR with a refreshed bottom end with all OEM parts (bearings, rings, head gasket) and ARP head studs has been making 330 WHP for about a year and about 5k miles. I daily it sometimes, stop and go traffic, driven it 300+ miles in a day, etc. I had the car tuned relatively safe, I beat on it constantly, 8k redline and it takes it like a champ. My car is tuned on megasquirt, just ordered cams and bigger injectors for 400 WHP hopefully.

A key component to a good running SR20 is to use Rotella 15w-40 for your oil changes.
jorge1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:34 AM   #47
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge1190 View Post
A key component to a good running SR20 is to use Rotella 15w-40 for your oil changes.
Please dont open that can of worm.

Oil choice depends on usage and climate, anyone should use the oil that stays within nissan recommended oil pressure range, and basically that means using anything between 5w30 and 15w50 (and in some rare case 10w60 but that is pretty rare, again).

Add to the correct viscosity choice a GWO oil pump, a full synth oil OR frequent changes, and you will never have an oiling related problem.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #48
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
Please dont open that can of worm.

Oil choice depends on usage and climate, anyone should use the oil that stays within nissan recommended oil pressure range, and basically that means using anything between 5w30 and 15w50 (and in some rare case 10w60 but that is pretty rare, again).

Add to the correct viscosity choice a GWO oil pump, a full synth oil OR frequent changes, and you will never have an oiling related problem.
I ran Mobil 15w50 for years. Swapped to reotella with no issues!

Old 03-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #49
240boi115
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
240boi115 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
been debating on going sr or keep my ka because its healthy and awesome buuut reading all this makes me want an sr20 again sooo bad!!! lol
240boi115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #50
SMatyac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240boi115 View Post
been debating on going sr or keep my ka because its healthy and awesome buuut reading all this makes me want an sr20 again sooo bad!!! lol
Dude, options will be the death of me.
I literally have about 10 options for a car now, im debating between keeping the 240, rebuilding the motor, 1j swapping it, or selling it and getting a brand new focus st, or another e36 m3, or waiting till the srt-4 dart comes out.......... and thats not even half of them haha.
decisions decisions. lol.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #51
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
I ran Mobil 15w50 for years. Swapped to reotella with no issues!
Same here...only thing about Mobil 1 is I was told by a guy who's building SRs in Japan since 92, is that he noticed that SRs that has been running Mobil 1, has this plaquey/filmy build up in the engine. Some had enough to clog up the cam drippers. He said he thinks its an additive in the oil that helps with start up/dry start wear and tear.

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 03-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #52
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Quote:

^ TRUF.

Stock S13 SR20DET running 5+ years strong now.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #53
240sxdriftin
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (25)
240sxdriftin has much to be proud of240sxdriftin has much to be proud of240sxdriftin has much to be proud of240sxdriftin has much to be proud of240sxdriftin has much to be proud of240sxdriftin has much to be proud of240sxdriftin has much to be proud of240sxdriftin has much to be proud of240sxdriftin has much to be proud of240sxdriftin has much to be proud of240sxdriftin has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
^^ right there with you, this will be the 5th summer of having mine.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #54
dreek93sr20
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
dreek93sr20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
this is some good info guys....im in the air force and will be building my sr when i come back....so give me some good bolt on and upgrades...im no dummy im mechanically inclined (96 maxima boosted which i built)...literally...but hit me up on brands, specs, clearances, looking for the 350-400 hp range than ks
dreek93sr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:31 AM   #55
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreek93sr20 View Post
this is some good info guys....im in the air force and will be building my sr when i come back....so give me some good bolt on and upgrades...im no dummy im mechanically inclined (96 maxima boosted which i built)...literally...but hit me up on brands, specs, clearances, looking for the 350-400 hp range than ks
Search button. Use it.

TL;DR : slap a gt2871r on a stock SR20, with Z32 maf, injectors, FMIC, a tune. Thats it. You might want an enlarged elbow/ downpipe too.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #56
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
Elaborate.

Why not use a recommended bearing clearance measurement tool by the FSM?

I plasti gauged my bearings
Measure the crankshaft with the right tool. Measure it all the way around.
Now bolt down the mains with bearings installed using the lubrication and torque specification you will use during actual assembly. Use a dial bore gauge to measure the roundness and size of the inside.

Now compare your crankshaft measurement with your main measurement. Thats how it's done. plasti-whatever only gives you one single measurement, the space between where you place it and the (usually) top of the main cap. the bearing could be egg shaped and you would not know. the crank could be out of round and you would not know.

I do not know much about building engines, I leave that to professionals. And professionals, from what I understand, are using a dial bore gauge. Same idea when you bore the engine- are you going to use a torque plate and get round cylinders or just wing it with whatever?
Old 03-29-2013, 02:50 AM   #57
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
Measure the crankshaft with the right tool. Measure it all the way around.
Now bolt down the mains with bearings installed using the lubrication and torque specification you will use during actual assembly. Use a dial bore gauge to measure the roundness and size of the inside.

Now compare your crankshaft measurement with your main measurement. Thats how it's done. plasti-whatever only gives you one single measurement, the space between where you place it and the (usually) top of the main cap. the bearing could be egg shaped and you would not know. the crank could be out of round and you would not know.

I do not know much about building engines, I leave that to professionals. And professionals, from what I understand, are using a dial bore gauge. Same idea when you bore the engine- are you going to use a torque plate and get round cylinders or just wing it with whatever?
Plastigauge is used AFTER checking roundness. It is used to get the clearance with everything bolted, ie in real condition, to know the thickness of the bearings you need. It is not used to check roundness.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #58
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

I've been using Mobil1 15W50 in mine the whole time also. I know it saved my engine when I ripped the oil pan off.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #59
StryfeS13
It's Always Broken.

Trader Rating: (14)
StryfeS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
My opinion on this subject - yes an SR can be reliable. They can be very reliable. It all depends on who builds it and if you maintain it like it should be maintained.

I built an SR20 for a friend of mine with ONLY supertech pistons, machine work of course, metal head gasket, and RAS. It was running an S15 T28 on 16psi. That damn thing was so much fun to drive, hit full boost almost before 3k and it took me anywhere! I would trust that car to take me anywhere in the U.S.

The funniest part about it is that I have ALWAYS hated SR's with a passion - until I built one.
Gotta love Zilvia.
StryfeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #60
DJ 21o3
Zilvia Junkie

DJ 21o3 is an unknown quantity at this point
I plan on buying a Mazworx engine capable of over 500+ hp and then set it up with a good turbo and tune at 400-450hp. Sure it might cost a pretty penny but I want something close to bullet proof as I plan on beating on the car.

Doesn't matter what engine it is, it will have problems sooner or later. Especially engines running high power and pushing a lot of boost.
DJ 21o3 is offline   Reply With Quote