Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
Jesse@PureTurbos
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Jesse@PureTurbos is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
328WHP - 9 PSI - RB25DET, That's right! 9 PSI !!!

Hey Zilvia,

We wanted to share some recent RB turbo results!

Chassis: S13
Engine: RB25DET

-Stock internals
-Stock injectors
-9 psi boost
-Pure Turbos BILLET RB25DET upgrade drop-in turbo (modified stock turbo)

328WHP

The turbo has plenty more left. These turbos support 450WHP!!!

Last edited by Jesse@PureTurbos; 04-08-2013 at 11:13 PM..
Jesse@PureTurbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
hobbs
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (43)
hobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
Torque is pretty weak for a RB25, WHP figures are nice though. What compressor wheel are you using? 20G?
hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
Jesse@PureTurbos
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
Torque is pretty weak for a RB25, WHP figures are nice though. What compressor wheel are you using? 20G?
252.9 WTQ is weak for 9 psi?

It's a custom PURE TURBOS BILLET compressor wheel designed for the RB. There is no "off the shelf" compressor wheel that fits this turbo.

Thanks
Old 04-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
801nismo104
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (8)
801nismo104 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
thats impressive!
801nismo104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
hobbs
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (43)
hobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse@PureTurbos View Post
252.9 WTQ is weak for 9 psi?

It's a custom PURE TURBOS BILLET compressor wheel designed for the RB. There is no "off the shelf" compressor wheel that fits this turbo.

Thanks
Well considering at stock boost pressures (7psi) nissan as rated the non NEO RB25DET at 235ft/lb, so a stock turbo at 9psi would be close to your posted 252ft/lb. Any size dimension on the wheel that is in this turbo?
hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
Jesse@PureTurbos
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
Well considering at stock boost pressures (7psi) nissan as rated the non NEO RB25DET at 235ft/lb, so a stock turbo at 9psi would be close to your posted 252ft/lb. Any size dimension on the wheel that is in this turbo?
Is the 235 ft/lb rating at crank or at the wheels?

Sorry, we don't give out the internal specs.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you Sir!
Old 04-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #7
splitfire
Leaky Injector

splitfire is an unknown quantity at this point
What's the point of not giving the specs? Any determined man (and definitely, a company) can disassemble the turbo and do all measurements.
splitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
Jesse@PureTurbos
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitfire View Post
What's the point of not giving the specs? Any determined man (and definitely, a company) can disassemble the turbo and do all measurements.
Point is to prevent copy cats. And if you want to copy it, you have to buy it.

Basic specs are:

CW Inducer: ~54mm

TW Exducer: ~56mm

Thanks guys.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
It's not bad at all. The only thing is what type of dyno was this done on? What was the correction factor for weather or gearing etc? This would probably be around 285-295 on a dyno dynamics. Still not bad though.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
Jesse@PureTurbos
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shadows View Post
It's not bad at all. The only thing is what type of dyno was this done on? What was the correction factor for weather or gearing etc? This would probably be around 285-295 on a dyno dynamics. Still not bad though.
The customer supplied this info to us so unfortunately I don't have any specifics related to correction factors. It appears it was a DYNOmite dyno which would be a "Land-and-Sea" Brand dyno.

The customer is adding supporting mods (injectors, pump, etc...) to start cranking up the boost. He should be putting down some solid numbers pretty soon.

We thought it was impressive for a stock motor on 9 psi...
Old 04-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #11
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
OEM camshaft? A/F curve?

oem injectors, orly! OEM manifold too? Internal gated?
Old 04-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #12
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
singlecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
What kind of computer was being used please?
Old 04-02-2013, 03:34 AM   #13
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
flow map please.

Right now we just have a claim and no info. This looks way more like an ad than a real thread to me.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:53 AM   #14
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
flow map please.

Right now we just have a claim and no info. This looks way more like an ad than a real thread to me.
DejaVu moment!

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #15
Driftpretty
Zilvia Addict

Driftpretty is an unknown quantity at this point
i believe it..i know plenty of evos and celicas running modded stock turbos and making good power from just that and small bolt ons.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #16
ch1873857
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
ch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ch1873857
Quote:
flow map please.

Quote:
Right now we just have a claim and no info.
pretty sure theres both. theres a dyno graph. its literally right there in his first post. your just requesting more..

Quote:
This looks way more like an ad than a real thread to me.

if moderators deem this thread to be in the wrong section. they can easily move it.
ch1873857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #17
Jesse@PureTurbos
Leaky Injector

The only thing we are claiming is that we build great turbos, because we do. As for the dyno info, we are relaying info that a customer gave us who is running our turbo. I'm not understanding how he pulled around 400 crank HP out of stock injectors, but he says they're stock. I didn't think stock RB25 injectors could flow that much fuel even if they are maxed at 100% duty cycle. But I've never tried myself so I wouldn't know for sure.

I understand when results like this are shown, there is going to be tons of doubt and naysayers. We were blown away by the results. I will contact the customer and let him know that he has a lot of people doubting the info he gave us. I will ask him for more details on everything.

I'm assuming you're asking for a compressor flow map. We don't have a compressor flow map for this specific compressor wheel. We have the capability to have a compressor wheel mapped out by one of the companies we do business with. They have a full gas stand room and the proper engineers to do the service. The cost of mapping all the performance compressor wheels we use would be insanely high which is why smaller turbo companies like Precision Turbo, Forced Performance, Comp Turbo, and others don't provide compressor maps. There are none. The real reason is cost. If you call some of these companies you might get the answer "we don't release them to the public", or "we are still collecting all the info to publish at a later date". The reality is they haven't been mapped. Some companies are afraid to say that and would rather lie, we are not. Just because a wheel is not mapped does not mean it is not a good wheel. A compressor map is a good piece of info to tell you what the compressor has the potential to do. There are so many variables involved with the end result that a compressor map is only a small part of the equation. Variables like: turbine wheel size, balance tolerance, machining clearances and tolerances, etc... The chassis dyno result is the end result.

Thanks guys
Old 04-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #18
funktown240
Zilvia Member

funktown240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
flow map please.

Right now we just have is claim and no info. This looks way more like an ad than a real thread to me.
Many turbo manufactures dont provide compressor maps such as Precision turbo. I personally don't care about compressor maps and go off of real world data. This billet upgraded compressor wheel should be plenty big to support 450 whp. I too am skeptical about the HP with 9 lbs but I would consider what kind of dyno was used because they can vary greatly.
funktown240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:33 AM   #19
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funktown240 View Post
Many turbo manufactures dont provide compressor maps such as Precision turbo. I personally don't care about compressor maps and go off of real world data. This billet upgraded compressor wheel should be plenty big to support 450 whp. I too am skeptical about the HP with 9 lbs but I would consider what kind of dyno was used because they can vary greatly.
Would you buy an engine without a rev limiter, without knowing its rev limit, and without knowing its output ?

Of course not.

Then why do you accept this from a turbo manufacturer ?

A turbocompressor purpose, as its name implies, is to provide air flow at some pressure, and it has limits.

A flow map tells you everything you need to know about the turbo. Its limits, its efficiency and what it can achieve. It also tells you the manufacturer knows about its products and has means to test and validate them.

A turbo manufacturer not showing its flow map would be like a car dealer that refuses to say more than "it is a car, and it has an engine, but i wont tell you how much HP it makes nor how high you can rev it. Use it till it blows, and sit on your warranty".

I know too well how the performance world works. When it is too good to be true, it usually is.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:59 AM   #20
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
A turbo manufacturer not showing its flow map

someone will buy the turbo and turn up the boost until it gives out then post the results. If two or more people do this we will have a really good idea what it can do. I am more curious how an oem internal RB engine can have maximum Volumetric efficiency at 7K rpm than anything. (rb must have cams?)
but what series is it!!! In an S13? Must not be a neo engine, amirite? See what you did, now I am stereotyping the 13
Old 04-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #21
funktown240
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Would you buy an engine without a rev limiter, without knowing its rev limit, and without knowing its output ?

Of course not.

Then why do you accept this from a turbo manufacturer ?

A turbocompressor purpose, as its name implies, is to provide air flow at some pressure, and it has limits.

A flow map tells you everything you need to know about the turbo. Its limits, its efficiency and what it can achieve. It also tells you the manufacturer knows about its products and has means to test and validate them.

A turbo manufacturer not showing its flow map would be like a car dealer that refuses to say more than "it is a car, and it has an engine, but i wont tell you how much HP it makes nor how high you can rev it. Use it till it blows, and sit on your warranty".

I know too well how the performance world works. When it is too good to be true, it usually is.
Have no clue where you are coming from talking about motors. If you know alot about turbochargers you can usually tell how much HP a turbo will make just based on turbine and compressor wheels but there are many variables. These new billet wheels that are being used by many different manufactures are making more horsepower than there cast counterparts.

Anyways, I dont want to get into a pissing match. The one thing that everyone is missing is THANKING Jesse @ Pureturbos for providing a replacement turbo for RB20/25 capable of this much HP. No one else in the business is doing this!! I have called other professional turbo rebuilders and they would not even consider touching the turbo, not even just replace the ceramic turbine wheel.

THANK YOU JESSE, If I hadn't gone with a top mount setup you would already have my money.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #22
Jesse@PureTurbos
Leaky Injector

A compressor map tells you a lot about the turbo. It's a good piece of information.

It does not tell you everything you need to know about the turbo.

It is a map of the compressor wheel only.

Things that can hinder the performance and potential of the compressor wheel:
Compressor housing size
Turbine housing size
Turbine wheel size
Improper balance
Machining clearances
etc...

Real world data (dyno sheet) is the final end result and it's the best way to see what the turbo can actually support. It takes all the other previously mentioned turbo components into account.

Our billet wheels make big power. We recently upgraded a customers GT2871R 52 trim with our billet wheel. He's in europe running a fully built toyota 1.5L motor. He made 416whp and 425Nm of torque at 2.0bar of boost. This is not an amazing result but it shows that our billet wheels work VERY well. Another simple example is a GT4202R we upgraded to our billet wheel. It is on a diesel pulling tractor and made 918HP and 2206 Ft/Lb at 97PSI!!! Yes that's right, our billet wheel survived up to 97PSI with no issues.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #23
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

I'd rather know BEFORE running a turbo that i am going into surge or overspin territory, not when i install and break it.
That is the turbo manufacturer job to tell me which efficiency i am going to get, too.

I am not talking about what could limit a turbo application on an engine here, i am talking about the primary function of a turbo compressor. That function is giving airflow at a given pressure at a given efficiency, at a given turbo speed.

And yes, i want to know all that before trial fitting it to any application. Engine dyno is a power result, which may be great, but it does not tell you if the turbo is going to break because it is spinning too fast or surging all the time.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #24
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

dont mind crousti she is having her time of the month right now. check back in a week or so

i.e. where is your stack of trial and error compressor wheels bought from manufacturers that have provided maps?
Old 04-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #25
funktown240
Zilvia Member

Quote:
I'd rather know BEFORE running a turbo that i am going into surge or overspin territory, not when i install and break it.
That is the turbo manufacturer job to tell me which efficiency i am going to get, too.

I am not talking about what could limit a turbo application on an engine here, i am talking about the primary function of a turbo compressor. That function is giving airflow at a given pressure at a given efficiency, at a given turbo speed.

And yes, i want to know all that before trial fitting it to any application. Engine dyno is a power result, which may be great, but it does not tell you if the turbo is going to break because it is spinning too fast or surging all the time.
Whatever dude, obviously you have some obsession with compressor maps. I guess if a turbo doesn't have a corresponding map then it must be junk.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #26
AdamR
Leaky Injector

AdamR is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
dont mind crousti she is having her time of the month right now. check back in a week or so

i.e. where is your stack of trial and error compressor wheels bought from manufacturers that have provided maps?
I feel like I type this same reply to you all the time. What in the hell are you talking about?
AdamR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #27
AdamR
Leaky Injector

AdamR is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by funktown240 View Post
Whatever dude, obviously you have some obsession with compressor maps. I guess if a turbo doesn't have a corresponding map then it must be junk.
He has good reason to be skeptical.
Some random advertiser has posted one dyno graph that they can't confirm anything on. If they don't have the compressor map, they probably haven't done enough R&D.
Anyway, is there really a market for a modified RB25 turbo?
AdamR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #28
funktown240
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamR View Post
He has good reason to be skeptical.
Some random advertiser has posted one dyno graph that they can't confirm anything on. If they don't have the compressor map, they probably haven't done enough R&D.
Anyway, is there really a market for a modified RB25 turbo?
There absolutely is, I went with a top mount manifold and a GT35R set up and had to replace all the oil and coolant lines. I could have saved a lot of time and money if there was an easy bolt on replacement of the stock turbo. True the turbo I have now will easily make more power but I would have really considered this turbo if it were available a year ago.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #29
Jesse@PureTurbos
Leaky Injector

Quote:

Well there is no RB25 BILLET bolt on turbo that comes with a compressor map (from ANY company). So it looks like our turbo is not for you.

Sounds like you should be buying:
-new T3 manifold
-new Garrett turbo (with compressor map)
-new downpipe
-intercooler pipe adapters
-coolant line adapters
-oil feed line
etc...

Looks like you'll be spending a lot more than what our bolt-on turbo costs. But at least you'll have your compressor map. You can even print it out and keep it under your pillow at night! Just kidding, I appreciate the conversation.

I agree that compressor maps are good pieces of info, but they are not mandatory or critical in my opinion. We have used this compressor wheel in other performance turbo applications that have made 450whp. The superback dimension and the shaft bore is different but the wheel is the same.

BTW: Other items coming soon...
RB BILLET turbo (ball bearing version)
BILLET Journal bearing bolt-on SR20 UPGRADE turbo (with GTX2863R WHEELS!!!)
Old 04-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #30
dftsilvia
Zilvia Member

dftsilvia is on the path to ruindftsilvia is on the path to ruin
this car has a stock series 2. tune was done via safc 2
dftsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote