Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #91
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
its a 2.0, get over it. and get a larger engine.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #92
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Mikester is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540dude View Post
I'm 19 years old. The fact that you would base your information off a random person posting on a forum claiming I'm 32 is amusing.

I don't know how long it takes you to do your builds, but I like to plan everything beforehand and then knock it out and get it done with. I had assumed that these forums would be better than the "HON-DUH" one's but no, I was wrong.

Besides being a nonconstructive prick, I did look at your hatch build and it is tastefully done.
Quote:
Didn't even realize it said that on my profile. I thought someone made the assumption I was 32 for no reason.
1. It appears you answered your own question regarding the 'assumption' of your age. Congratulations on unknowingly impersonating an adult.

2. I do my research, buy up what I need; then do my best to exercise patience in putting it all together. 'How long" it takes has no bearing- I choose quality over quantity on nearly every occasion.

3. All things now coming to light, I thought my advice to you was very constructive. Would you have felt a little less violated if I had my 19yr old son log in and give you the very same advice instead? If so, my bad.

4. Thanks for the kind words on my build. I've worked very hard on it and appreciate the compliment sincerely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnemyS15 View Post
Yeah I did fit in the Honda scene, when I was 17. You say you are 19, so it all makes sense now.
^^ This FTW!!!!! ^^

My oldest would chuckle and tell this kid to quit while he is ahead. My 17yr old however... who dresses goth and hates all things reason and/or authority- would love him.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #93
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJZ View Post
all these people hating on the rb20, how many have actually owned one
Never owned one but I've driven enough of them and knew enough people who had them to make a decision that they fucking blow donkey balls. There is only 1 thing I'll give RB20s props for...fucking engine wont die when left stock. I've seen a guy literally try to kill the engine by sabotaging it and it didnt blow. I'm talking about driving it it with no coolant after crashing and destroying his radiator, shit didnt blow.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:05 AM   #94
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Ray, don't forget... RB20's do happen to sound quite amazing!

Left stock or very mildly modded, they are awesome. All things considered, I may build an RB20-powered coupe for my daughter in a few yrs.

I've also seen some 400hp RB20's that were pretty BA too.

I love my SR for the simplicity and aftermarket support so I'm staying with that for now.

As we have come to find out OP is a 19yr old... I'd say his best 2 choices are KA24DE or SR. But ultimately, his choice. Yet another BS thread for the archives.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #95
EvilRB
Zilvia FREAK!

EvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to EvilRB Send a message via MSN to EvilRB
As an A31 Cefiro Owner that got the RB20DET stock, and a previous swapped RB20 240 owner I can tell you that the RB20 is Idiot proof and a great starter engine but is not worth building.
They can make power but gets to a certain point where you add up the receipts, compare them, realize what else you could have built and what you could have gotten...
Thing is parts for the RB20 are usually interchangeable with the RB25/26 so your spending the same but getting less power out of it as you would if you had the bigger engine in the first place.
Bang for buck you are better off building a SR or Rb25.
KA-T can also be done for really cheap now days.
But it also depends on what type of racing you want to do or if it's for daily/ weekend fun.
Also what your skill level is and what facilities you have access to also factor in, that will effect you wallet also...
I say just pick the best condition and cheapest engine you can get your hands on and spend the rest on upgrades.
You'll still get power to the ground that way and have money to fix anything that comes up either way.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #96
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikester View Post
Ray, don't forget... RB20's do happen to sound quite amazing!

Left stock or very mildly modded, they are awesome. All things considered, I may build an RB20-powered coupe for my daughter in a few yrs.

I've also seen some 400hp RB20's that were pretty BA too.

I love my SR for the simplicity and aftermarket support so I'm staying with that for now.

As we have come to find out OP is a 19yr old... I'd say his best 2 choices are KA24DE or SR. But ultimately, his choice. Yet another BS thread for the archives.

I know, Jaime seems to be the only person on Oki that had success on RB20s. He had a 390whp RB20 on with a T3/T4 turbo on it. Rose made 360 on the same turbo kit that I'm running that I got from him. I made 420 on the same turbo kit from rose

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #97
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

^^Yea Jaime's ride was definitely legit. My theory is that he got one of the few Skyrines on the island that hadn't been beat to death before he got a hold of it. Also, IIRC, his was properly tuned... which as you know is rare [for most Americans] there lol
Old 04-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #98
540dude
Leaky Injector

540dude is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikester View Post
How does my age correlate with type of engine suitable for me?
540dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #99
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
It all boils down to experience and knowledge. A young guy like you doesn't have much experience or knowledge to draw from. The SR's and KA's have a lot of easily available parts and information to draw from. It's better for you to gain experience with a more common, and easily installed/modified engine and then move on from there if you feel the need. Also, being so young, you probably don't have the best driving skills in the world. You're better off learning how to drive on a lower power engine and boost the power up as you progress. Jumping right into a 300hp RB25 swap probably isn't the best idea. When you learned to swim you didn't just jump right into the deep end with no life jacket did you?
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #100
OrangeVirus1
BANNED

OrangeVirus1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
because all these old timers on here think if you are young you are automatically dumb.

they all act like they are way older then 19.. when in fact they are more in the 21-25 range.

Don't give it any thought. there are 3 types of people on here.
1. People who pay $$$ to build their cars, then be a complete asshole to everyone and anyone who doesn't build their car. ( almost everyone with a blue name falls into this category )
2. people who cheaply build cars, JDM-YO style, then be assholes to anyone who is a noob or doesn't know about cars.
3. Noobs / "ricers" who are actually the most respectful people on this forum.
OrangeVirus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #101
korito727
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
korito727 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I'm 20 and built my rb25 s14 with a tube front and completely aftermarket chassis harness. Is it perfect? No. Does it work? You bet it does. Was it hard? Not really..

Age doesn't matter it's about mechanical skill or ability to learn along the way. That being said I'm putting a fire extinguisher in my car. Lol
Old 04-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #102
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
zerodameaon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by korito727 View Post
Age doesn't matter it's about mechanical skill or ability to learn along the way. That being said I'm putting a fire extinguisher in my car. Lol
Don't do it, your car will burst into flames tomorrow. Happens every time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKdaMoRoN View Post
Maybe you should petition the retards who are paying 5k for an S13.

Need to adjust your idle?
http://zilvia.net/f/s-chassis/395413...-pictures.html
zerodameaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #103
OrangeVirus1
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerodameaon View Post
Don't do it, your car will burst into flames tomorrow. Happens every time.
I'll agree, seems the only people with car fires are the ones who have fire extinguishers..
Old 04-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #104
korito727
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
korito727 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Damn it. Maybe ill just make sure I bring lots of water everywhere lol.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #105
OrangeVirus1
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by korito727 View Post
Damn it. Maybe ill just make sure I bring lots of water everywhere lol.
or just pull the cap to your radiator, Coolant will go everywhere.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #106
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeVirus1 View Post
because all these old timers on here think if you are young you are probably fairly inexperienced since you asked a question that has been covered thousands of times in countless threads..

they all act like they are way older then 19.. in fact they are more in the 30-45 range; so maybe you should look for the messages within their words.

Don't give it any thought. there are 5 types of people on here.

1. People who pay $$$ to have their cars built for them, then be assholes to everyone and anyone who doesn't build their car. (they are usually pretty easy to spot)
2. people who ghetto their cars together JDM-YO style with cheap-o parts, then be assholes to anyone who is a noob or doesn't know about cars- because they all have horrible cases of little-man's complex. They also piss and whine like little bitches because their cheap-o, ghetto-rigged parts break on them left and right
3. Noobs like you who are actually fairly respectful, but need a little guidance once in a while.
4. Trolls like me who love to stir up shit, constantly talk out their asses and soil otherwise decent threads with stupidity (we are incredibly easy to spot)
5. People who have actual life experience under their belts; and enjoy learning, helping & sharing what they know with the community- and also hope to help the young people avoid making some of the same mistakes they made when they were their age

Corrected- You should really not be so closed-minded, man.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

540dude, it's not about the engine type per se, it's about the learning curve- much like racepar1 said.

SR20's & KA24's will completely plug & play onto your car with little/no need to modify anything to fit. To boot, there are myriads of information and aftermarket/OEM parts supporting them. They are perfect, SIMPLE platforms to learn and have fun with... and capable of much better power as you grow into them. In terms of money, they are the cheapest of the bunch, too.

In the end, I will tell you the same thing I tell my 19yr old: It's your decision, dude... not anyone else's. All I can do at this point is do my best to give you advice that I think is sound... How you use the info is on you.

Whatever you do, good luck.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #107
BlewByYou
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (10)
BlewByYou is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
Not to mention the R154 is a much better transmission than a RB25 trans
Haha, Thats why PRO's in Thailand and AU use Rb25 trans on there Jz's??

Do a lil more research before posting nonsense please.
BlewByYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #108
racepar1
Post Whore!

racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Quote:
because all these old timers on here think if you are young you are automatically dumb.
Being the age I am now I realize that when I was young I was dumb. As you grow older you realize that. I wasn't the dumbest 19 year old, but comparatively speaking I knew nothing compared to what I know now. That statement applies not only to cars, but to life as a whole.

Quote:
they all act like they are way older then 19.. when in fact they are more in the 21-25 range.
I'm 30...

Quote:
Don't give it any thought. there are 3 types of people on here.
1. People who pay $$$ to build their cars, then be a complete asshole to everyone and anyone who doesn't build their car. ( almost everyone with a blue name falls into this category )
Most of us with a "blue name" have been doing this for a while. We take modifying our cars seriously. Building a car costs money, if you don't have much money it takes patience. A lot of us hate on the young broke kids because they have no patience. They want everything right now, no matter if they can afford it or not. This attitude is why cheap knock-off brands have flourished.

Quote:
2. people who cheaply build cars, JDM-YO style, then be assholes to anyone who is a noob or doesn't know about cars.
JDM is not cheap, that's strictly an American attitude. It's funny how you talk shit about the "JDM-YO" attitude, but you dropped the cheapest RB into your car just so you can say you've got an RB. Then you defend your choice tirelessly as if it wasn't just because the engine was so cheap.

Quote:
3. Noobs / "ricers" who are actually the most respectful people on this forum.
I think you fall into THIS category, except for the "respectful" part that is.

The bottom line is that YOU get the attitudes that YOU get because of YOUR OWN attitude. You're extremely argumentative about everything and you clearly think you know better than everyone. You'll always be bashed on untill you realize that some other people may know more than you. Take the advice you're given and form your own opinion. Tirelessly arguing with everyone will get you nowhere but flamed.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #109
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
checking to see if i have a blue name

edit* I do not have a blue name. /sad
Old 04-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #110
BlewByYou
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (10)
BlewByYou is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
A blue name?

You lost me at hello
BlewByYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #111
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlewByYou View Post
A blue name?

You lost me at hello
You've got a "blew" name, does that count???
Old 04-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #112
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
You don't have to have a "blue name" to know your shit, but clearly you have A LOT of learning to do.

We older guys lack patience for the younger crowd because you roll in here acting like you know everything. Obviously this isn't the case. We were young and dumb at one point, but life lessons, listening and experience have taught us a lot.

I am not one to pay for someone to do my work for me, that's part of building MY car. I have the abilities and facilities available to me to do my own work and when I cannot, I out source it.

I may be an asshole, smart ass, or whatever else you want to call me, but I've been around a hell of a lot longer than you and have seen people just like you come and go. You're all the same.

OV- People may flame on you, but if you would shut up and listen every once in awhile you may learn something. At the start of your membership people told you not to get the 20, obviously for more reasons than it being a bastard child. I respect your persistence, but it does get annoying at times. You are a very arguementative person based on threads I've seen you post in. Relax man, it's the Internet.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #113
OrangeVirus1
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
Being the age I am now I realize that when I was young I was dumb. As you grow older you realize that. I wasn't the dumbest 19 year old, but comparatively speaking I knew nothing compared to what I know now. That statement applies not only to cars, but to life as a whole.

I'm 30...

Most of us with a "blue name" have been doing this for a while. We take modifying our cars seriously. Building a car costs money, if you don't have much money it takes patience. A lot of us hate on the young broke kids because they have no patience. They want everything right now, no matter if they can afford it or not. This attitude is why cheap knock-off brands have flourished.

JDM is not cheap, that's strictly an American attitude. It's funny how you talk shit about the "JDM-YO" attitude, but you dropped the cheapest RB into your car just so you can say you've got an RB. Then you defend your choice tirelessly as if it wasn't just because the engine was so cheap.

I think you fall into THIS category, except for the "respectful" part that is.

The bottom line is that YOU get the attitudes that YOU get because of YOUR OWN attitude. You're extremely argumentative about everything and you clearly think you know better than everyone. You'll always be bashed on untill you realize that some other people may know more than you. Take the advice you're given and form your own opinion. Tirelessly arguing with everyone will get you nowhere but flamed.

Thanks for the insight.
I don't know how many times I have to say this but I can say it again, I chould of had a Rb25 if I wanted.. but I wanted the Rb20. not because it's a jdm engine.. or because it's an Rb.

and I would be respectful if people would be respectful to me. which they are not. Respect my decision for what engine I chose, and i'll respect you back. Talk shit about me, I'll say shit back.
it works both ways. Just because I didn't take the advice about getting a SR, or Rb25.. I deserve to be constantly talked down to?
Old 04-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #114
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Thanks for the insight.
I don't know how many times I have to say this but I can say it again, I chould of had a Rb25 if I wanted.. but I wanted the Rb20. not because it's a jdm engine.. or because it's an Rb.

and I would be respectful if people would be respectful to me. which they are not. Respect my decision for what engine I chose, and i'll respect you back. Talk shit about me, I'll say shit back.
it works both ways. Just because I didn't take the advice about getting a SR, or Rb25.. I deserve to be constantly talked down to?
Not everyone is going to like the way you built your car, roll with the punches and let it go.

You're talked down to because you constantly pop back with some ridiculous argument. You're talked down to because you seem to think that you know better than everyone. You're talked down to because you're new here and you just expect everyone to bow down in respect.

As stated previously, we've seen a LOT of guys like you come and go over the years. If you want respect you have to EARN it. Respect isn't free and you don't start off on the top of the food chain. Most of us went through our noob bashing stage. Some took it better than others, ME included. I smashed head first into zilvia demanding respect. It didn't work out so well initially. I kept my head down and earned the respect I desired over the years. I backed off and learned some shit. You need to calm down and do the same.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #115
greenwood
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
greenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
it's probably because my hotside AR is 1.00 twin scroll, and my engine is 2.0. Stock RB20 intake manifold. Everywhere I have read online says the stock RB20 intake manifold flows really well.
it does keep it.
greenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #116
AlexN
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
AlexN is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
if you have to ask this then go sr
AlexN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #117
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

I'm blue and I've paid people to build my cars...True story according to everybody's favorite Zilvia Troll. Respect? You got a $10,000 dollar car to wager so you can get some "respect?" I swear some days I wonder why you haven't migrated to NICO yet, I bet you'd get more "respect" there.

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #118
AlexN
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
AlexN is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
lololol^^^^^
AlexN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #119
GroundPerformance
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (44)
GroundPerformance is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
Quote:
He *knows* I can box! So check it out, it's like this: If I lose, winner takes my car clean and clear. But if I win, I take the cash, *and* I take the respect!
Build a RB20DET Powered R34 now that's bad @$$

SoCal KA24DET/KA24ET Owners
<< Join the FB Group >>
GroundPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #120
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

He's just mad cuz he have yet to find a nut-swinger out here. I'd give him props for sticking with the RB20 if he wasnt so fucking obnoxious on the way he tries so hard to justify himself to everybody.

CLICK HERE!!!