Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #31
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
I did not say it blew, you like assuming shit don't you. I put 25k on it in 2years, add the 25-40k it came with, well there you have it, 50-65k miles.

So inferior to your RB20 that they made it over the course of 15years, what happened to your beloved after what 5yr production times?

The KA is an inferior motor from the factory performance wise. It doesn't rev, doesn't make power north of 6k and serves its purpose as a truck motor. Turbo it, and yea, it's a decent motor, but not better than the SR in factory trim, sorry it's not happening.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #32
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
S12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
I did not say it blew, you like assuming shit don't you. I put 25k on it in 2years, add the 25-40k it came with, well there you have it, 50-65k miles.

So inferior to your RB20 that they made it over the course of 15years, what happened to your beloved after what 5yr production times?

The KA is an inferior motor from the factory performance wise. It doesn't rev, doesn't make power north of 6k and serves its purpose as a truck motor. Turbo it, and yea, it's a decent motor, but not better than the SR in factory trim, sorry it's not happening.
hey guess what? the VG30E is a truck/van motor that will rape whatever SR you want with stock internals.

the RB30's are truck engines too since they came in trucks in aus. the RB25/26 must be a truck motor too since it was used in a nissan stagea correct?

truck motor or not means shit. VG30ET revs only to 6,250 in factory trim power drops after 5,500rpms. it's all about the cams and tune.

hey hey hey hey you hey, does that mean the VK56's are shitty motors too because they came in trucks? hey what about the VQ40 are they shitty because they came in pathfinders?

in factory trim your comparing apples to oranges. go get a SR20DE and a KA24DE and see what makes more power. im betting the KA does.

lmao at VG30ET truck motor making 1,000hp in full race trim with a 9,500rpm redline. truck motors FTW if thats the case, I'd take any truck motor over any SR.
S12 Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #33
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
So a 170hp NA motor is going to rape a lighter faster and higher revving motor 2.0l turbo motor, yeah, that'll be the day. I have a VG30E motor, it's great, but not fast. Once again you turn to the more cylinders, motor literate arguement. You just compared a V6 to the I4, congratulations, you suck again...

Have you forgotten the SR20DET IS a factory motor? It was engineered that way. I call bullshit on your DE argument as well. The NA SR still produces more power in stock trim than the KA.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #34
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

S12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
So a 170hp NA motor is going to rape a lighter faster and higher revving motor 2.0l turbo motor, yeah, that'll be the day. I have a VG30E motor, it's great, but not fast. Once again you turn to the more cylinders, motor literate arguement. You just compared a V6 to the I4, congratulations, you suck again...

Have you forgotten the SR20DET IS a factory motor? It was engineered that way. I call bullshit on your DE argument as well. The NA SR still produces more power in stock trim than the KA.
yup follow the sheep the do the swap without even weighing pros and cons.

i can link you to a 1,500hp chevy 2.3l the SR20 is not godsend Fj was the best engine nissan made to date.

the day a SR20 can make 270hp in stock factory N/A trim will be the day I suck your cock and buy a SR.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #35
KendallH
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
KendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S12 Drifter View Post

i can link you to a 1,500hp chevy 2.3l the SR20 is not godsend Fj was the best engine nissan made to date.

the day a SR20 can make 270hp in stock factory N/A trim will be the day I suck your cock and buy a SR.
What in the hell are you talking about man?
Old 05-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #36
240boi115
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
240boi115 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:

the stock s15 sr20 makes 250hp on 7psi. turn the boost up and itll easliy hit your stupid 270hp stock mark. so suck my dick.. ditch your rb20 and join the sr club buddy!
my 240 broke down..again
240boi115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #37
jr_ss
Post Whore!

I think you misunderstood me. I have by no means claimed the SR is the be all, end all engines. I will however defend the motor as being a venerable option, which upgrades nicely and puts out 400whp all day long with bolt ons.

The FJ24, that you refer to was a race motor... Nissan built 200units so they could participate in rally. It was not a mass produced motor like the SR, so once again this isn't a apples to apples comparison.

With that said, I can show you multiple NA SR race motors that make well over the 270 mark. Should I even bother tossing out the SR20VET motor? Lets take a VE head and swap it on to a DE block and viola 500whp at low boost and all stock internals.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #38
Bmxer300zx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Bmxer300zx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
He's fucking crazy man. He'll run of the top about vg30e's and ka's and say how much hp they can hold alongside some magical Fj then ramble how horrible a sr20 is without a turbo on it is.
He just hates sr20's so much he'll say a prius motor is a better option for power.
I've done a few sr20's and had one myself never more than replace minor things (water pump, tstat, clutch and few gaskets externally) and Not seen ONE pop and most we're put at 13psi+ for years till they where sold off. Yet sen 2 ka-t's pop over 1 summer with half the milage this kid is talking about. So stfu and die and the BEST nissan motor is the TB48DE imo
Bmxer300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #39
240boi115
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
I think you misunderstood me. I have by no means claimed the SR is the be all, end all engines. I will however defend the motor as being a venerable option, which upgrades nicely and puts out 400whp all day long with bolt ons.

The FJ24, that you refer to was a race motor... Nissan built 200units so they could participate in rally. It was not a mass produced motor like the SR, so once again this isn't a apples to apples comparison.

With that said, I can show you multiple NA SR race motors that make well over the 270 mark. Should I even bother tossing out the SR20VET motor? Lets take a VE head and swap it on to a DE block and viola 500whp at low boost and all stock internals.
i forgot to mention how right THIS IS!!!!^^^^^ YES
my 240 broke down..again
Old 05-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #40
Bmxer300zx
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Unless you want him too suck your cock you may wana leave this out
Old 05-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #41
240boi115
Zilvia FREAK!

^^^this
my 240 broke down..again
Old 05-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #42
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxer300zx View Post
Unless you want him too suck your cock you may wana leave this out
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240boi115 View Post
^^^this
You guys, it's all about the show...
Old 05-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #43
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:

oh you need variable valve timing to even the playing field?

my point was the SR is not god send like you just said, everyone and their mother treat it like's it's gods answer to everything... it would not be hard to stroke a fj20 and brig it to specs.

like you said, it made 270rwhp but this was are crappy carbs im sure if you converted it to EFI cop and so and so it would making just as much power if not more then a SR20VE
Old 05-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #44
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
He's fucking crazy man. He'll run of the top about vg30e's and ka's and say how much hp they can hold alongside some magical Fj then ramble how horrible a sr20 is without a turbo on it is.
He just hates sr20's so much he'll say a prius motor is a better option for power.
I've done a few sr20's and had one myself never more than replace minor things (water pump, tstat, clutch and few gaskets externally) and Not seen ONE pop and most we're put at 13psi+ for years till they where sold off. Yet sen 2 ka-t's pop over 1 summer with half the milage this kid is talking about. So stfu and die and the BEST nissan motor is the TB48DE imo
WWR 300ZX FRANK GOES 9.20 VG 30 MOTOR - YouTube

franks Z31 from WWR it was a junkyard VG30E from a nissan quest, stock bottom internals. massive work on cylinder heads though. motor lasted the entire season till it blew a rod through the block.

did i mention it's a 700+rwhp vg30E NA2 turbo with stock internals?
Old 05-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #45
KendallH
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
KendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I feel like an SR raped this guys girlfriend and murdered his family or something.

In any case
Old 05-22-2013, 07:15 PM   #46
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendallH View Post
I feel like an SR raped this guys girlfriend and murdered his family or something.

In any case
nah I just know when to spot a shitty engine.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #47
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
oh you need variable valve timing to even the playing field?

my point was the SR is not god send like you just said, everyone and their mother treat it like's it's gods answer to everything... it would not be hard to stroke a fj20 and brig it to specs.

like you said, it made 270rwhp but this was are crappy carbs im sure if you converted it to EFI cop and so and so it would making just as much power if not more then a SR20VE
No I said it was rated at 270hp, that's at the flywheel, not the rear wheels.

Even the field? If we talk VE heads, it's a whole different field where the archaic FJ has no foot holds or ground to walk on.

If you know when to spot a shitty engine, you really were smoking some good stuff when you picked up your RB.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #48
240boi115
Zilvia FREAK!

honestly s12drifter. why the hell do you hate the sr so damn much? we dont raise the motor like god here. YOU say we do. we all just know its an easy swap to do and its an easy engine to make power from.all the motors you list off probably are a bish to install in a car. and yes im relevant because thats what the OP will end up doing if he chooses to not keep his ka. SWAP A MOTOR IN! dollar for dollar and bang for your buck the sr20 is a good motor. it an take a good beating they have drag cars pumping 1000hp on them (although its not exactly street build nor is this recommended), and its a good start motor . you seriously need to chill out on the sr hate here and compare equivilent motors.. as in I4 vs I4 not v6/v8/race motor vs I4, its stupid and doesnt prove anything.
my 240 broke down..again
Old 05-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #49
Bmxer300zx
Zilvia Member

Why are you showing me youtube videos? Too what ? Ohh wait I get it, we should all go to the junk yard.. pull vg30e's with 230k on em cause they had frequent oil changes and slap a knock off turbo on it? That's all it takes for 700whp? AWESOME! So pissed its that easy
Old 05-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #50
Bmxer300zx
Zilvia Member

Dude my chevy 6.0 v8 makes 400hp py pooping into the intake while it takes 20k in your SRsuck20 i4 to even keep up.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #51
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
honestly s12drifter. why the hell do you hate the sr so damn much? we dont raise the motor like god here. YOU say we do. we all just know its an easy swap to do and its an easy engine to make power from.all the motors you list off probably are a bish to install in a car. and yes im relevant because thats what the OP will end up doing if he chooses to not keep his ka. SWAP A MOTOR IN! dollar for dollar and bang for your buck the sr20 is a good motor. it an take a good beating they have drag cars pumping 1000hp on them (although its not exactly street build nor is this recommended), and its a good start motor . you seriously need to chill out on the sr hate here and compare equivilent motors.. as in I4 vs I4 not v6/v8/race motor vs I4, its stupid and doesnt prove anything.
lets throw a T28, SR20 injectors and nistune run a conservative tune like the factory does with the SR on a ka24.

bang for buck there are a lot better options out there that can get you more power. it would literally cost a great deal to build a fj20 i understand that their not easy to get parts for either.

the SR20 is a trailer trash motor that drifters like to use to slide because they saw it in fast and furious tokyo drift. the SR is cheap in japan LITERALLY pennys on the dollar people ship them over here tax the fuck out of a garbage engine public buys into it and they make their money.

for the price of a SR you can have a fully forged KA24DET

forged pistons - 500
forged rods - 500 (not that you need them since their already factory forged)

in just those two you're already a few steps ahead of a SR for the price you pay for an ENTIRE swap including install.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #52
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
hey guess what? the VG30E is a truck/van motor that will rape whatever SR you want with stock internals.
As an xterra owner and a redtop sr20 owner, you're an idiot and every post I've seen from you has been drivel.

My vg30e is absolutely gutless, even after doing the z31 cams its still slow.

Even the most basic upgrades to the SR (down pipe, exhaust, elbow, intake filter) turned it into a fun, peppy, free revving motor. I'd happily throw an SR in my xterra when the time comes.

Matter of fact, we already replaced the KA in my brothers frontier with an s13 blacktop SR and it was a massive improvement all around.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #53
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
As an xterra owner and a redtop sr20 owner, you're an idiot and every post I've seen from you has been drivel.

My vg30e is absolutely gutless, even after doing the z31 cams its still slow.

Even the most basic upgrades to the SR (down pipe, exhaust, elbow, intake filter) turned it into a fun, peppy, free revving motor. I'd happily throw an SR in my xterra when the time comes.

Matter of fact, we already replaced the KA in my brothers frontier with an s13 blacktop SR and it was a massive improvement all around.
do a VG33ET and you will change your mind.

it's a fucking VG30E they make 140 or less hp to the wheels. VG's love boost N/A their pretty shitty.

i know a guy with a 11.5:1 VG30DE he makes around 350hp with basic stuff but a N/A Vg is pretty hard to pull power out of. I only have about 1k in engine stuff.

HX35, 450CC injectors, used nistune, etc etc on 9/10 pounds i push 300rwhp on a crappy shittastic base tune. (cant find someone to tune it.)

your doing shit wrong.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #54
Bmxer300zx
Zilvia Member

Quote:
lets throw a T28, SR20 injectors and nistune run a conservative tune like the factory does with the SR on a ka24.

bang for buck there are a lot better options out there that can get you more power. it would literally cost a great deal to build a fj20 i understand that their not easy to get parts for either.

the SR20 is a trailer trash motor that drifters like to use to slide because they saw it in fast and furious tokyo drift. the SR is cheap in japan LITERALLY pennys on the dollar people ship them over here tax the fuck out of a garbage engine public buys into it and they make their money.

forged pistons - 500

in just those two you're already a few steps ahead of a SR for the price you pay for an ENTIRE swap including install.
Your fucking stupid. Soo buy a t28, sr inj, nistune, ka24de, rods, pistons, DONT FORGET THE HEADGASKET is going to make more hp than a standard sr20 on with a t25 and .4 litres less?
No Fucking shit!
The average kid doesnt have the mentality to tear an engine down and tune it you jackass a sr20 is one of the most simple swaps to do WHY everyone does it. Before I went through all that b.s with a ka-t setup id drive and lsx into a 240 and ram it up your ass
Old 05-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #55
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

LSx is a pretty overrated swap but it works.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #56
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
The average kid doesnt have the mentality to tear an engine down and tune it you jackass a sr20 is one of the most simple swaps to do WHY everyone does it.
if you cant tear a engine apart and fix it then you should not be swapping motors or working on a car now should you?

espcially swapping LSD's in your cars and shimming them properly getting ring gear and pinion tolerance right or transmission work either seeing as a transmission/diff is way more complicated then tearing a engine apart.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #57
240boi115
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:

forged pistons - 500

there you go again boosting up the motor you are defending... a t28? why not a t25?(if its the rdtop youre comparing) and since when did having forged pistons and rods mean your whole damn motor setup was forged.. youd really boost up a ka without getting a newer block and just throw those 2 mods on? setup for disaster.
my 240 broke down..again
Old 05-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #58
Tom N
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Tom N is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
S15 SR20 has made nealy 1500hp and run a 6.70 1/4 at over 200mph.
Just saying.

Calling it cheap trash is silly.
4g63 is probably the cheapest motor to make fast and IMO the best 4 cylinder out there. If the SR20 had bigger ports in the head it would be a very close second.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #59
mewantkouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (36)
mewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
SR and KA are the same goddamn thing. One makes more torque and marginally more hp than the other. The both have the same shit cast pistons. SR is better out of the box. Stronger connecting rods, lighter, fully counter weighted crankshaft, and larger head bolts. There are pro's and cons to each. KA's make boat loads of torque, but they are very sensitive to tune in stock form. Built neither engine is really going to edge the other out in performance. 500whp in an S-chassis isn't practical on the street anyway. Pick what you like and stick with it. You can have a built bottom end ka for what you spend on a stock SR swap. (Not that it matters with the modest power goals most set forth on this forum.) I've owned, beaten and broken both past 350whp. There isn't any advantage to either. SR is much more expensive in every respect though.
mewantkouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #60
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
there you go again boosting up the motor you are defending... a t28? why not a t25?(if its the rdtop youre comparing) and since when did having forged pistons and rods mean your whole damn motor setup was forged.. youd really boost up a ka without getting a newer block and just throw those 2 mods on? setup for disaster.
whats a full SR swap without install run? 2,500? 3k? okay I'll NAME you every part you can build the ka-t out of.

forged weisco pistons - $435
forged weisco 4340 rods - $424
holset HX35 - $290 (too big for you?) holset HE351 (hx40 comp housing and wheel with a hy35 turbine) $200-300
620CC injectors sard - 250$
ACL rod bearings - $25.00
ACl alumglide main bearings - $40.00
turbo manifold - $80

woah we're already setup for serious power and only 1,544 into it.

hone = 10x4 = $40

balance = 250

walbro fual pump 420lph - $140
cometic head gasket - $90
brain cower stage 2 turbo cams - 400

nistune - 550

total in it about 3,010 vs a completely stock 200hp sr20?

yea it's a no brainer. I even threw hone and a balanced assembly in for you.