Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:51 PM   #1
b4l
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
b4l is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
been working on my swap

just wanted to show you guys what i have been up to

b4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
ShadowMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Looks good, what management system are you running? Love me some strawberry faces!

Last edited by ShadowMan; 06-01-2013 at 08:56 PM..
ShadowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:57 AM   #3
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Dboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Nice! I like!
You running d-jetro?
Dboyizmlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
b4l
Zilvia Junkie

AEM v2 right now im at a stand still with the swap.
i have no driveshaft
radiator hoses
pigtail for my map sensor
new boostcontroler for aem
gasket for the downpipe
radiator fans
claps

lol thats about it to fire it up
Old 05-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
b4l
Zilvia Junkie

well i have been reading on a downpipe gasket and some ppl dont have a gasket and have no leaks what do you think

people with t3 5 bolt flange/downpipe setups, running a gasket? - Honda-Tech
Old 05-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
ShadowMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I'm currently not running a DP gasket, no leaks at that junction. Might want to consider a v-band setup if you're still trying to decide on how to do your exhaust. That's where I'm at. All my bolts rattle loose far to often so I'm redo'ing the exhaust with a couple vband clamps. That's not that big of a list to knock out, probably by the time a driveshaft is ordered and shipped, you'd be able to get the others items handled.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
b4l
Zilvia Junkie

the pipe to turbo is 5 bolt no way around it, and the rest of my pipes are v band.

well get a better pic later on
Old 05-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
b4l
Zilvia Junkie

better pic
Old 05-26-2013, 09:59 PM   #9
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
No offense but what the fuck is the point of this thread and why is it in TECH?!?!

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
b4l
Zilvia Junkie

for questions i have that involve my swap
ex. my downpipe question

my next question is my map sensor im having trouble puting the pig tail in never mind it works

just need to know were the wires go.

ecu is aem 6601-0104

Last edited by b4l; 05-27-2013 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: i got the pigtail to work
Old 05-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #11
b4l
Zilvia Junkie

http://zilvia.net/f/engine-tech/4457...ease-help.html

i have been searching just wanted to clear it up a bit
Old 05-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #12
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
holy crap let the guy post up some pics of his engine! why so serious? why do you always come into threads cussing? like you actually need to be on this website or your gonna die! lol

Dont mind zilvians op they have nothing better to do than give people a hard time. In fact its their way of showing you love.

Looking good and fwiw if you post a thread up on zilvia and nobody comes in cussing and shitting all over the place then you done something wrong!!!
Old 05-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #13
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
holy crap let the guy post up some pics of his engine! why so serious? why do you always come into threads cussing? like you actually need to be on this website or your gonna die! lol

Dont mind zilvians op they have nothing better to do than give people a hard time. In fact its their way of showing you love.

Looking good and fwiw if you post a thread up on zilvia and nobody comes in cussing and shitting all over the place then you done something wrong!!!
No, cuz if let him then everybody is gonna do it and shit will be a cluster fuck of unfinished build threads which is why this was deemed by the mods

http://zilvia.net/f/builds-builds-on...how-works.html

BTW Im still waiting on a response on how to disconnect the turbo while driving the car on the highway to keep it from overheating and drivable.
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #14
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
So im looking at it and picking it apart. I advise you to run a real crankcase evac system, especially if you have forged internals in that b!tch. I like the color scheme on the pulleys/rail do the valvecover next but maybe not that same color. the intake / air filter color is ugly get that powder coated the same like your cold pipe. use nice black hoses for the radiator. get a head shield around that brake master or it might melt and burn the car to the ground. clean up the wiring I dont like how they just meander about. get it hidden, extend it if you have to. use a name brand radiator, a griffin radiator custom fit would be the cat's meow on that engine.

just some random thoughts ok? thats why its here right, random thoughts and ideas can pour in.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #15
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
No, cuz if let him then everybody is gonna do it and shit will be a cluster fuck of unfinished build threads which is why this was deemed by the mods

BTW Im still waiting on a response on how to disconnect the turbo while driving the car on the highway to keep it from overheating and drivable.
ok bad boy. you take off the tiny clip that holds the Wastegate actuator to the turbine and walaa done. Now you can hold the throttle body open on a T-25 turbine engine without the EGT skyrocketing.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #16
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
how? That makes no sense! hot exhaust is still going through the turbo and heat is still getting pumped through the compressor housing.

It makes no diff with it connected or not when the turbo is in Vac.
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Old 05-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #17
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Quote:
how? That makes no sense! hot exhaust is still going through the turbo and heat is still getting pumped through the compressor housing.

It makes no diff with it connected or not when the turbo is in Vac.
Forget about turbos for a second. We will come back to that.

Take a naturally aspirated engine of any make model. Now, decrease the size of the exhaust outlet. You will find that as you get smaller and smaller, the exhaust temperature starts to rise at the choke. Also, exhaust gas velocity increases as the port diameter decreases. That is one reason why manufacturers choose a happy medium between flow (large size) and exhaust gas velocity/temperature (small size). Smaller exhaust outlets tend to keep the exhaust gas hotter, which tends to increase the flow of the exhaust as well. Thats one reason putting a large catback on a small displacement naturally aspirated engine tends to decrease engine torque.

Back to turbochargers.
The turbine presents a restriction. as long as it is shut, the exhaust gas MUST flow through the turbine. That creates HEAT and BACKPRESSURE which is used to drive the compressor... which also creates its own heat as the air becomes compressed.

If you need more help with explanation I would be happy to but ask yours questions from there before I go further.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #18
b4l
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:

Then a mod will move it. but i am asking questions about the engine.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #19
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Quote:
Forget about turbos for a second. We will come back to that.

Take a naturally aspirated engine of any make model. Now, decrease the size of the exhaust outlet. You will find that as you get smaller and smaller, the exhaust temperature starts to rise at the choke. Also, exhaust gas velocity increases as the port diameter decreases. That is one reason why manufacturers choose a happy medium between flow (large size) and exhaust gas velocity/temperature (small size). Smaller exhaust outlets tend to keep the exhaust gas hotter, which tends to increase the flow of the exhaust as well. Thats one reason putting a large catback on a small displacement naturally aspirated engine tends to decrease engine torque.

Back to turbochargers.
The turbine presents a restriction. as long as it is shut, the exhaust gas MUST flow through the turbine. That creates HEAT and BACKPRESSURE which is used to drive the compressor... which also creates its own heat as the air becomes compressed.

If you need more help with explanation I would be happy to but ask yours questions from there before I go further.

So what your saying is that Nissan had no idea on what they were doing when they built these engines that have proven to last 20+ years with factory equipment while driving 70+mph on toll roads?

If that is the case why have these engines lasted 20+ years of DDing?
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Old 05-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #20
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Quote:
So what your saying is that Nissan had no idea on what they were doing when they built these engines that have proven to last 20+ years with factory equipment while driving 70+mph on toll roads?

If that is the case why have these engines lasted 20+ years of DDing?
what kind of nonsense is that? I said that? I where did I say that. quote me.
You asked a physics question I gave you a physics answer. had nothing to do with road speed, chassis design flaws, inherent risks of swapping an engine, length of time engines sat in warehouses before being swapped, etc... thats a WHOLE different thing.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #21
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

your saying the design is incorrect.

That because the WG actuator is connected it causes the engine to over heat when driven on the interstate at 60+mph @ 3K or 3.5K PRM or whatever the fuck you said.

EDIT: as well as bearing getting torn up which is the most retared thing I ever heard

EDIT X2: let me rephrase, your saying that because the exhaust housing is too small that it causes the engine to overheat.
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Old 05-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #22
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Quote:

That because the WG actuator is connected it causes the engine to over heat when driven on the interstate at 60+mph @ 3K or 3.5K PRM or whatever the fuck you said.

EDIT: as well as bearing getting torn up which is the most retared thing I ever heard
whatever the fuck i said? Im still waiting to see what I said. Your are choosing your own words and thoughts and ideas because you have no clue what I actually said. If you stop cussing I would love to teach you something, I even have a video of my car that was supposedly "overheating" doing 100MPH which by the way was fine, after all that, wasn't it?

I never said the design was incorrect. cmon quote me you so sure.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #23
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Quote:
I agree, 3k is no problem. 3k is 65mph. thats exactly where I told him to stay, well done good job. hes tryin to hit 3.5-4k continuously, 75-88mph. that IS a problem. too much friction, clearances are too tight for it. too much heat. rod bearing clearance on that engine is .0008" iirc. Turbine is too small. Once again, there is a reason they did not bring this engine to the USA and it has, in part, to do with climate.
Quote:
His problem is that redtops are not designed to be at 3600RPM on the highway in Florida weather; thats it. the turbine is too small and the gearing is too short for it. If you disconnect the turbine it will no longer overheat because thats where all the heat is coming from. otherwise, I told him to just drive 65MPH @ 3000rpm because thats where engine vacuum is 10" about as low as you want to go for steady highway speeds.

At 80MPH and 3600RPM the vacuum is around 3"-5" the engine is damn near in boost and it gets hot after 50 miles on that T-25, yeah.

the issue here is not so much cooling as the fact the engine should not be sitting at 3500+RPM for any length of time, regardless of whether it overheats or not. period.
This is the full retard stuff Im talking about that YOU said.

YOU said the Turbine is too small which means you think Nissan designed the engine wrong.

So now that you have been owned and my new born is finally asleep, Im out
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Old 05-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #24
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Quote:

EDIT X2: let me rephrase, your saying that because the exhaust housing is too small that it causes the engine to overheat.
I like where you are going with this. As an example, use a redtop.

Take a redtop on the highway and repeatedly blast it to 100mph and back to 60mph. do it once. twice. three times. watch the coolant temperature start to rise. with me so far? keep on doing it. again and again and again. eventually the coolant temperature will rise enough to move the needle in the oem cluster.

Why? In part, due to the tiny turbine, yes. But also because the compressor is tiny and puts out alot of heat also. basically the tiny journal bearing turbocharger is not up to the challenge without some help from an oil cooler and an aftermarket radiator. Simple enough.

That guy bought the car to re-sell. I was trying to keep from flat out saying "he is abusing the vehicle on the highway that is why the gauge is moving" but now that hes actually sold it, I guess its ok to point that out.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #25
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Quote:
I like where you are going with this. As an example, use a redtop.

Take a redtop on the highway and repeatedly blast it to 100mph and back to 60mph. do it once. twice. three times. watch the coolant temperature start to rise. with me so far? keep on doing it. again and again and again. eventually the coolant temperature will rise enough to move the needle in the oem cluster.

Why? In part, due to the tiny turbine, yes. But also because the compressor is tiny and puts out alot of heat also. basically the tiny journal bearing turbocharger is not up to the challenge without some help from an oil cooler and an aftermarket radiator. Simple enough.

That guy bought the car to re-sell. I was trying to keep from flat out saying "he is abusing the vehicle on the highway that is why the gauge is moving" but now that hes actually sold it, I guess its ok to point that out.

I HAVE done that Never had an issue. probably 10+ 180's and Silvia in the past 10 years of me being in and out of Japan

Not to mention drifted them without an issue.
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Old 05-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #26
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Quote:
I HAVE done that Never had an issue. probably 10+ 180's and Silvia in the past 10 years of me being in and out of Japan

Not to mention drifted them without an issue.
You HAVE done that, and so have I, hundreds of times, and never had an issue. the temperature gauge moving up a little bit is not a big issue. Remember it was a zenki gauge with a redtop engine; we have NO idea what the actual coolant temperature was. There is no water temp gauge in the vehicle. It was never overheating. ALL turbocharged engines will experince a slight rise in coolant temperature when you lay into them repeatedly. ALL of them. if the given coolant system is up the challenge, the coolant temp will level off at some point. We cant actually see if my car's coolant temp actually leveled off at some point because we have no gauge.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #27
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

also keep in mind it had the oem thermostat which is something like 195*F. If the coolant temp rises a mere 15*F that would probably move the gauge in the cluster some. And a 15*F rise in coolant temperature is an acceptable expected number for a redtop being abused on the highway with an OEM radiator especially.

now, on to the real issue. A 3600-3900rpm cruise is a BAD THING for many engines. That could eat up the rod bearings over time. I am sorry if you disagree but this is a matter of opinion. No I have no personally run a redtop at 3900rpm for 150k miles and proven this; I could be wrong. But why take the chance? I am conservative when it comes to these engines. I want them to last forever. To make sure that happens, I would only run mine at 3000rpm maybe 3200rpm tops. I baby it because I want it to last. I wouldn't even spin it past 5500rpm. If you care about something, don't abuse it, amirite?

That engine was tight and clean. the oil came out looking like it went in. it stayed like that because I took care of it.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #28
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

picture from before I started it for the first time, 4 years ago.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #29
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Wow, this thread just went full retarded...the fucks is the point of building these cars if you wont rev them pass 5500 rpm?

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #30
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Oh I will rev an sr20 to 8k np np. Just not an OEM redtop that I daily.

heres me tuning one of my many sr20 on the dyno.
It hits 8k a few times. and 400+ horsepower.

Most people do not seem to understand, there is a time and a place for performance, and a stock redtop is not that place.