Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:08 PM   #61
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BlackZenkiS14
I mean, possibly, but I ran the tune for 3 years previously with no issues....
Old 09-12-2014, 09:34 AM   #62
inopsey
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
inopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
how old are your plugs? i read your original post and you said they are the right color but have you recently/since this started changed them?
inopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:04 AM   #63
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Mikester is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZenkiS14 View Post
Plugs looked good, all a light brown/bronze/tan color, all equal across all 4 cylinders.
Your plugs being a brown/bronze color tells me they are cooked... Same color they get after someone drops in some injector cleaner, octane booster etc. I'd change those first... They should be a slight dark grey, light blackish color.

Second of all, when are you going to come to terms with the fact that your ECU is probably the MAIN culprit and you are spinning your wheels throwing parts at it? This was the SAME EXACT problem I had with my 180SX... replaced everything INCLUDING the CAS... Problem magically went away when I pulled the ECU out and replaced it with a shiny new Power FC.

Going back to your plugs, they should not be bronze/brown.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #64
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what you mean Mike?

But thanks for the attempted advice, I am working with JWT to figure this out as well. I appreciate you trying to help me from "throwing parts at it", but I'm not just going to "throw a $1k ECU at it" to fix it either. There are TONS of people running this setup, WITH the JWT ECU, and doing very well for a long time. I'll get it figured out eventually.

Plugs are as old as this engine is. Only 1500 miles.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:11 PM   #65
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Kyle, I don't think your plugs are THE problem, I said it could be A problem. When you said bronze/brown, that's not what I had envisioned.

If there are tons of people running the very same setup, maybe someone will loan you their ECU... Until then, I hope by working with JWT you mean you sent them back your ECU for indepth testing. No disrespect brother. You know I'm all about helping a dude out. If you've the car at events, then 1500mi might be worth the 30-40 for fresh plugs. My PFC will be back next week, we have very similar setups- you're welcome to try mine.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:17 PM   #66
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

And by the way, you've been letting this issue kick your ass & expending time & money on it for almost 3mos based on the start date of this thread. If I were you, I'd welcome any 'attempted advice' given at this point. Trying to help man. I'd like to compare slips & I leave in 3-4 weeks.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:22 PM   #67
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

I know you are trying man, and I appreciate that, but just saying "its your ECU, buy a PFC" really isnt a feasible option at this point man.

I dont have $1k to spend on an ECU, and I dont want a PFC that I have to pay someone else to tune for me that lives out of state...

The only money I've spent on this so far is a new CTS ($20), and a new O2 sensor ($50)

I just might try throwing in a set of Iridium plugs and see what happens. I've run iridium plugs my whole life, and this is my first time ever using copper.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:25 PM   #68
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
I don't think Mike is blaming the the tune, more so a circuit in the ECU itself.

It's pretty simple to pull the EPROM out and have it swapped to another ecu. I'd start with cracking the case open and seeing if you see any burnt or charred traces.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:45 PM   #69
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
I don't think Mike is blaming the the tune, more so a circuit in the ECU itself.

It's pretty simple to pull the EPROM out and have it swapped to another ecu. I'd start with cracking the case open and seeing if you see any burnt or charred traces.
Looked good to me so far. Also sent these to JWT

Old 09-13-2014, 01:31 AM   #70
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
I agree that it does look good. A better picture of the last one would be great. I think I may see something, but then againit could be nothing at all. Regardless, it is very puzzling.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:04 AM   #71
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Yea, I didnt realize the last one was blurry until I uploaded it lol

Im going to try to get the car to a dyno today actually and see what that graph looks like also, see if I'm losing power in the powerband also, or just between shifts.

Ben Pila at JWT is working with me and the engineer there looking at my data logs, so hopefully they can come up with something for me.

Just so frustrating, I've missed a lot of events this year, mostly because I've been too busy to work on the car to fix it, but if it was fixed I'd have been able to go.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:20 AM   #72
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Kyle- not saying to get a PFC... There are WAY better & more powerful options these days... Just saying that even a 'new to you' ECU with the same JWT tune will probably fix the issue. I know I sound like a broken record- it's only because I had the exact same problem with my 180SX. Is it an E-series ECU (Chuki Blacktop) by default?
Old 09-13-2014, 02:28 PM   #73
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Yea, we will see what Ben at JWT says. I'm open to anything.

Also, found today that even with the issues, it still makes power....plenty of it! haha

Old 09-15-2014, 06:46 AM   #74
metako42

metako42 is an unknown quantity at this point
I mention this because no-one has bought it up but it could be your injector O-rings leaking fuel into the combustion chambers when they get hot. They might just be holding the seal when cold but give them some heat and they might be not sealing. This would normally give a black plug but you never know. Also have you removed each injector wire in turn whilst idling to work out which cylinder is the culprit? Then swap injectors to see if the problem moves with it.
metako42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:31 AM   #75
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

I cant imagine that would be the issue, the injectors were rebuilt and flow tested with all o-rings replaced by Witch-Hunter just 1500 miles ago.

Thanks for the idea though!
Old 09-17-2014, 07:56 PM   #76
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Well, I installed a known-good Z32 MAF and a known-good SR CAS. No change in the issues.

Whats next?
Old 09-17-2014, 08:36 PM   #77
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I forgot you're spraying, try shutting off the alcohol mix completely to eliminate the water as a contaminant. Turn it back on after you confirm.

Sent from my Highly Tuned Galaxy S3.4!!!

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:43 PM   #78
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Will do. But that would be weird for that to be the problem, because its temperature sensitive...and the meth pump/everything is wired in totally separate of the ECU. But I'll give it a shot.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:01 PM   #79
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

I see your ECU is an E5... Same as my 180's was

Nice numbers bro!!!
Old 09-18-2014, 03:41 PM   #80
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikester View Post
I see your ECU is an E5... Same as my 180's was

Nice numbers bro!!!
I am hoping JWT asks me to send the ECU in for check, but at this point they have not asked for it.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:11 PM   #81
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Well 20+ emails, 12 logs, and 3 months later I finally get this from JWT:

"Our lab engineer says he will make a revised test EPROM with the changes based on your latest logs sent. We will then mail that to you so you can switch it out and see how it runs. "

haha who knows what they think it is, but man it would be sweet if that fixed it!!
Old 10-23-2014, 10:56 PM   #82
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Agreed... Based on all the testing it had to be a hard ware issue.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:17 PM   #83
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

SR Stutter and miss when engine is warm?

Hey Kyle- so I wonder... Isn't EPROM-

IN THE FUCKING ECU????

There went your free pizza!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414354964.117706.jpg
Old 10-26-2014, 02:29 PM   #84
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Thanks Mike, that was very helpful.

I never said there was no way it was in the ECU, I just had to be patient with JWT to get back to me. I couldnt just swap ECU's lol
Old 10-26-2014, 02:34 PM   #85
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Just bustin your chops brother. Given your luck, I'm glad JWT is working it- will be stoked to see your car run how it should have all along [emoji106]
Old 10-26-2014, 11:47 PM   #86
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikester View Post
Just bustin your chops brother. Given your luck, I'm glad JWT is working it- will be stoked to see your car run how it should have all along [emoji106]
Yea, I'm curious lol, since I made 419 to the tires with issues
Old 10-27-2014, 07:27 PM   #87
unometeeter
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
unometeeter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Coil could be getting hot and breaking up spark, when the engine warms up.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:34 PM   #88
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unometeeter View Post
Coil could be getting hot and breaking up spark, when the engine warms up.
Few months late to that party...
Old 07-05-2015, 10:20 AM   #89
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Still haven't figured this out yet, wondering if anyone else has any input. Car struggled at track day yesterday, frustrating the fuck out of me.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:14 AM   #90
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
So what did the jwt techs say?
Did they at least send you a new tune to test out?

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote