Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:59 AM   #31
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (40)
UNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Send a message via AIM to UNISA JECS
Ring gear bolt torque specs are 130-145ft-lb
UNISA JECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2008, 08:59 AM   #32
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13dan View Post
for real though anyone got them???
FSM says 130-145 ft-lbs.

You've used all your free hand outs.

Please get yourself a copy of the FSM before you approach any further.

Last edited by SoSideways; 11-19-2008 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: Put up figures for the R200 and not R200V at first
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:20 PM   #33
RUTH'LESSDET
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
RUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to RUTH'LESSDET
What size shims did use guys use because i dont want mine to act like a welded diff really but i dont want it to be weak sauce either. I was considering using a one 1.25mm shim. Any insight is appreciated
Old 11-26-2008, 06:39 PM   #34
silviaguy240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
silviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
you have to use the correct shims so the backlash is within stock spec.

edit, why not just buy a welded diff/get yours welded. this is ghetto and your old ass lsd is gonna break faster than normal.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:11 AM   #35
khoadogg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
khoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to khoadogg
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaguy240 View Post

edit, why not just buy a welded diff/get yours welded. this is ghetto and your old ass lsd is gonna break faster than normal.
does it lock just like a welded diff? I rather do this and get a 1.5 type around town than a fully locked diff.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:18 PM   #36
RUTH'LESSDET
Zilvia Addict

RUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to RUTH'LESSDET
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaguy240 View Post

I dont want a welded diff that shit is too brut for me right now I drive my car alot now and dont feel like dealing with that crap all the time.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:29 AM   #37
redline racer510
Zilvia FREAK!

redline racer510 is on the path to ruinredline racer510 is on the path to ruin
i say just add a 1.01 shim and you should be good even replacing the stock shim with a new one will not give you the lock up you want so just add a 1.01 and you should lock up pretty close to how a 1.5 locks up the only thing i dont know about this mod is how long you vlsd will last but from some of the people that have done this say the vlsd wont make any noises after breaking it in with a couple figure 8 patterns like some of the other members in this thread.

Last edited by redline racer510; 01-09-2009 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: spelling
redline racer510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:54 PM   #38
Mtndrifter14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Mtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Glad to see you guys found this useful if you have any questions feel free to pm me.
Mtndrifter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:34 AM   #39
Snoopy
Zilvia Junkie

Snoopy can only hope to improve
A buddy of mine did this... We had allot of noise when the clutches engaged.
We used some chevy lsd additive and it cleared it up

Any1 else had a problem with this?
Old 01-20-2009, 07:37 AM   #40
SoSideways
Post Whore!

SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
A buddy of mine did this... We had allot of noise when the clutches engaged.
We used some chevy lsd additive and it cleared it up

Any1 else had a problem with this?
When the clutches engaged?

I didn't think there were CLUTCHES in a VLSD?
Old 01-20-2009, 07:59 AM   #41
irax
Post Whore!

irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to irax
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways View Post
When the clutches engaged?

I didn't think there were CLUTCHES in a VLSD?
so you're assuming he drives auto?
Old 01-20-2009, 09:26 AM   #42
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irax View Post
so you're assuming he drives auto?
What?

Unless he has a multiplate clutch assembly, I don't see how there could be "CLUTCHES" on a car, unless he was talking about the LSD clutches, which an VLSD do not have.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:42 AM   #43
irax
Post Whore!

irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to irax
automatics have multiple clutches, though i am not sure if the nissan 240 automatic trans is that type..

it could also be a typo
Old 01-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #44
Snoopy
Zilvia Junkie

Snoopy can only hope to improve
Quote:
What?

Unless he has a multiplate clutch assembly, I don't see how there could be "CLUTCHES" on a car, unless he was talking about the LSD clutches, which an VLSD do not have.
My mistake* To my understanding I thought a vlsd was a clutch type..
Old 01-20-2009, 11:06 AM   #45
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
My mistake* To my understanding I thought a vlsd was a clutch type..
No, if it was a clutch type people wouldn't be preloading it.

A VLSD is based on the viscous fluid dynamic to create a "drag" between the 2 halves inside the differential.

When 1 wheel starts to spin, the guts of the VLSD, more importantly the viscous fluid, will start to drag the other half along with it, creating a "differential" type effect, where both wheels are spinning.

A good example of this would be to take a glass of water, put some ice in it, and wet down the surface where the glass of water will sit on, and start spinning the glass. You should see the glass go first, then the ice will eventually start spinning along with the glass.

That motion is the same type of motion that happens inside a VLSD.

It has no clutch plates like the clutch type LSDs do.

Helical LSDs also do not have clutch plates. Helical LSDs are all gear based, no clutch plates.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:36 AM   #46
NissanTech240

NissanTech240 is an unknown quantity at this point
where you add shims..do you have to shim the other side also or only the one side
NissanTech240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:51 AM   #47
smelly240
Nissanaholic!

smelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfection
wtf are you talking about??? read the thread mr 1 post new guy.

the shim goes between the diff head and the viscous coupler.

HREs on a S13 - check, 6262 - check, Girlfriend.... - nope
smelly240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:50 AM   #48
NissanTech240

Quote:
Originally Posted by smelly240 View Post
wtf are you talking about??? read the thread mr 1 post new guy.

the shim goes between the diff head and the viscous coupler.
yeah i saw that but on another site they had the center section out. was just wondering
Old 01-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #49
SoSideways
Post Whore!

The diff came from the factory with ONE (1) shim, you either replace that one or stack on 2 littler ones to get a thicker effective height, what is so hard to understand about this?
Old 01-21-2009, 11:58 AM   #50
NissanTech240

Quote:
The diff came from the factory with ONE (1) shim, you either replace that one or stack on 2 littler ones to get a thicker effective height, what is so hard to understand about this?
i understand it all. im not retarded. on another site the guy had the center section of the diff taken out where the spiders where showing..completely out. was just wondering..i get the fact that you dont have to
Old 01-21-2009, 01:45 PM   #51
JRas
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
JRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JRas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtndrifter14 View Post
Once that is completed, separate the cover like so and before you put the new sealant on remember to scrap off all old sealant and I recommend using brakecleen to clean surfaces before applying sealant back on.
those two rusted holes at the top are better for removing the cover, the cover hangs over the holes a tad, so you can take a flat head screw driver and pop off the cover without damaging anything.

paper gasket ftw
Old 02-03-2009, 02:29 PM   #52
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by motegineon View Post
-Shims go up in 0.3mm increments from 0.8 to 1.49mm

38424-40F60 =0.80mm(same as in the picture)
38424-40F67 =1.01mm
38424-40F75 =1.25mm
38424-40F83 =1.49mm (the biggest)
What shim originally comes in the diff? I am thinking about doing this, but I only want to make a small difference. I figure if I replace the stock shim with one that is one or two sizes thicker it should do just what I want. Since my car is a trackday/autocross car I really don't want the diff to lock in an aggressive manner.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:34 PM   #53
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
What shim originally comes in the diff? I am thinking about doing this, but I only want to make a small difference. I figure if I replace the stock shim with one that is one or two sizes thicker it should do just what I want. Since my car is a trackday/autocross car I really don't want the diff to lock in an aggressive manner.
You might have no choice but to open up your diff, then use a mic to see how thick it is, as I think the diffs can come from the factory with a few different thicknesses, which is why you can buy so many different thickness washers to begin with...
Old 02-03-2009, 06:00 PM   #54
motegineon
Banned from the Marketplace

motegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to motegineon Send a message via MSN to motegineon
Quote:
You might have no choice but to open up your diff, then use a mic to see how thick it is, as I think the diffs can come from the factory with a few different thicknesses, which is why you can buy so many different thickness washers to begin with...
Yea what he said

Heres what I suggest:

Being that they are only a couple dollars, order 1.01 and 1.25. Open your diff and compare the shim that is in there to the 2 you bought, and base that off which one you choose for your application, then just go return the one you didn't use.
motegineon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:52 AM   #55
kalypso123
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡

kalypso123 is an unknown quantity at this point
I love this thread
kalypso123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:15 PM   #56
aa87
Zilvia FREAK!

aa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to aa87
Me and motegi did it at the same time.

Its pretty awesome, I snapped my axle boots and have a lot of play.

Don't forget to align the splines to the axles before you tighten down the phillips screws after putting in the shim, it keeps you from ahving to take everything apart.

But yeah, shim size can vary, me and motegi's had different shims from the factory (we assume), I just plopped a random old one i had in a junk vlsd i had sitting around, no problems, no whines, no issues.

I traded my welded out for that, and im a million times happier (although my welded had some backlash adjustment issues which annoyed me.)
Old 04-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #57
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

UNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond repute
AVAILABLE SIDE GEAR THRUST WASHERS

Type R200V

Thrust washer

Thickness mm (in) Part number
0.80 (0.0315) 38424 40F60
0.83 (0.0327) 38424 40F61
0.86 (0.0339) 38424 40F62
0.89 (0.0350) 38424 40F63
0.92 (0.0362) 38424 40F64
0.95 (0.0374) 38424 40F65
0.98 (0.0386) 38424 40F66
1.01 (0.0398) 38424 40F67
1.04 (0.0409) 38424 40F68
1.07 (0.0421) 38424 40F69
1.10 (0.0433) 38424 40F70
1.13 (0.0445) 38424 40F71
1.16 (0.0457) 38424 40F72
1.19 (0.0469) 38424 40F73
1.22 (0.0480) 38424 40F74
1.25 (0.0492) 38424 40F75
1.28 (0.0504) 38424 40F76
1.31 (0.0516) 38424 40F77
1.34 (0.0528) 38424 40F78
1.37 (0.0539) 38424 40F79
1.40 (0.0551) 38424 40F80
1.43 (0.0563) 38424 40F81
1.46 (0.0575) 38424 40F82
1.49 (0.0587) 38424 40F83
Old 04-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #58
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Just felt like adding some other pics I though would be nice to include on this thread:

2003 350z

Last edited by UNISA JECS; 04-19-2009 at 12:27 PM..
Old 04-17-2009, 07:41 PM   #59
SirSilvia
Leaky Injector

SirSilvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to SirSilvia
nice I can use that diagram as a general reference when putting the new shim.
I bought 38424-40F82 and 38424-40F83
I'm gonna go try the smaller one first for a while
SirSilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:56 PM   #60
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Does anyone here use a micrometer to measure the old shims to determine what size shim to go with when doing this mod or is everyone doing inni minni mini mo...???