Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:09 PM   #61
BustedS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
whatever you say, Lando Calrissian circa Empire Strikes Back.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:11 PM   #62
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

chibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to chibo

1989 S13 | 1996 S14 | 2001 E46 | 2009 ZX6R
chibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:11 PM   #63
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by svensko View Post
This isn't true if you use a journaled file system (ie ext3) in Linux. I know that at least for USB drives and such there are limited numbers of guaranteed read/writes before they start having issues.
There's actually a fairly large debate going on right now with a related problem ~ because of differences in how LBA file systems like FAT32 and NTFS (to an extent) delete stuff, and how NAND flash memory deletes (basically have to delete all the pages in a block, or blocks on a page, I forget), the SSD fills up way too fast, and starts to get 'slower'!

Windows 7 is rumored to have a SSD-cleaning tool that will eliminate this problem, which was actually a big part of my deciding to switch to it.

I'm having trouble finding the most informative article that I read, it was before I started reading everything on my Kindle lol... damn my brain for not being searchable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
Heatsoak's a bitch.
It takes an enormously large amount of heat to appreciably warm that much mineral oil to anywhere near normal operating temps for IC's (50*C) - with any circulation/radiator setup, no matter how crude, I can't imagine any heat problems.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:13 PM   #64
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

chibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
It takes an enormously large amount of heat to appreciably warm that much mineral oil to anywhere near normal operating temps for IC's (50*C) - with any circulation/radiator setup, no matter how crude, I can't imagine any heat problems.
You run the mineral oil through a large radiator anyway. A decent sized radiator with two 120mm fans running low RPMs is enough.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:46 PM   #65
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

Well, I've got 20 minutes on this thing. It's not bad at all - I like the touchpad a lot more than anything else and the battery seems to last right around 6 hours - for reference my Hp Mini1000 was only getting 2:30 out of a battery.

My one gripe is that it gets hot as fuck and the whole chassis heats up because it's aluminum.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:08 PM   #66
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
Originally Posted by chibo View Post
What have I done?
Traitor.

My next plan for the PC is actually to have a W7 Mac Os dual boot.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:13 PM   #67
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Quote:
Well, I've got 20 minutes on this thing. It's not bad at all - I like the touchpad a lot more than anything else and the battery seems to last right around 6 hours - for reference my Hp Mini1000 was only getting 2:30 out of a battery.

My one gripe is that it gets hot as fuck and the whole chassis heats up because it's aluminum.
Keep us posted with the battery life stuff. My Macbook 13" (from right when the Macbooks came out in 2006) got about 5hrs if I turned everything off (Wifi, bluetooth) and ran the screen pretty low. I'd be very surprised if your Pro lasted longer than that... 6hrs is netbook territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by future240 View Post
I'd assume you'd BIOS-mod for the Mac OS install, which causes problems because there's limited space to BIOS-mod for SLIC 2.2 (win7 activation hack). That would be a serious problem for me, at least.

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 09-26-2009, 07:16 PM   #68
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Keep us posted with the battery life stuff. My Macbook 13" (from right when the Macbooks came out in 2006) got about 5hrs if I turned everything off (Wifi, bluetooth) and ran the screen pretty low. I'd be very surprised if your Pro lasted longer than that... 6hrs is netbook territory.
Yeah, it's looking to be more like 5hr 10min with wifi on and the screen set at midlevel. Either way, it's better than my netbook so I'm happy - I think the netbook is being passed to my girlfriend and she's selling her 15" 2ghz macbook pro because she already has a 24" iMac.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #69
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
Quote:
Originally Posted by future240 View Post
let me know how this works out for you I'm looking to do the same with my next pc build.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:25 PM   #70
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
I'd assume you'd BIOS-mod for the Mac OS install, which causes problems because there's limited space to BIOS-mod for SLIC 2.2 (win7 activation hack). That would be a serious problem for me, at least.
Nope: http://www.efi-x.com/
Old 09-26-2009, 08:57 PM   #71
svensko
Zilvia Junkie

svensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymore
Send a message via AIM to svensko
Enjoy running Linux on your MBP if you so choose to. It makes it so hot that you could probably cook an egg on it.

I regret buying my MBP, should've just purchased a netbook.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:17 PM   #72
Geno750
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
Geno750 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Geno750 Send a message via Yahoo to Geno750
I've been building PC's since the Cyrix PR166+ days, and was doing pretty good building and selling systems for people all through highschool. Actually, that kinda picked up again recently, and I've been dealing more and more with people who want to play pc games but don't know wtf to buy/build. Its what let me pay for the system I'm posting this on.

Dell 24in and 2x Dell 20in monitors
Core i7 920 @ 3.8ghz
6gb G.Skill DDR3
EVGA 285GTX & 8800GT (runs the two 20in monitors and does physx or w/e)
Coolermaster HAF940 case
Thermaltake 1200w PSU

Geno750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:50 AM   #73
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
Super interesting! Thanks for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno750 View Post
I've been building PC's since the Cyrix PR166+ days, and was doing pretty good building and selling systems for people all through highschool. Actually, that kinda picked up again recently, and I've been dealing more and more with people who want to play pc games but don't know wtf to buy/build. Its what let me pay for the system I'm posting this on.

Dell 24in and 2x Dell 20in monitors
Core i7 920 @ 3.8ghz
6gb G.Skill DDR3
EVGA 285GTX & 8800GT (runs the two 20in monitors and does physx or w/e)
Coolermaster HAF940 case
Thermaltake 1200w PSU
Looks beast. Is that the Thermaltake Ultra 120? That came out right after I bought my last cooler, I'm all about big and quiet... thought about buying one.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:40 AM   #74
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
Quote:
i take it that powersupply does not generate a lot of heat.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #75
Future240
Future Moderator

Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Ah the benefits of a bigger case, my lil mini tower is cram full, still lookin to put one more fan right under the HDDs, and perhaps a fan controller where my now defunt card reader is now
Old 09-27-2009, 12:24 PM   #76
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
What have I done?
what a GREAT cost cutting initiative on apples behalf

they're using the shitty plain-white motherboard boxes to fit their product into, and just stamp some basic apple info on the front.. great!

thats like mr pizza on fairfax blvd, theyve managed to stay in business forever by saving pennies by doing things like buying pizza boxes from close-out sales when a pizza company is going under. every time i order a pizza for take-out, it has some OTHER company's info on the box.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:15 PM   #77
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

Yeah.

I can see why people like Macs, it's the little touches and the plain quality. One thing that did manage to piss me off a little is that the icon for a Windows computer on the network is a monitor with a blue screen and some white writing that would obviously be intended to look like a blue screen of death.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:36 PM   #78
Geno750
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
Geno750 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Geno750 Send a message via Yahoo to Geno750
Quote:
Originally Posted by irax View Post
i take it that powersupply does not generate a lot of heat.
The fan is on the bottom of the powersupply, and the case has openings on the bottom for it to draw air from.
Geno750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:33 PM   #79
SochBAT
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
SochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SochBAT
Quote:
The fan is on the bottom of the powersupply, and the case has openings on the bottom for it to draw air from.
Cool.

From the looks of it, there seems to be a gratuitous amount of airflow going thru the bottom.
SochBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:14 PM   #80
Mr. H
Leaky Injector

Mr. H is a well-known jackass
Just wondering but what do you all do with your computers. there are some sweat set ups here, are they just gaming computers or do you need the power for work or something.
Mr. H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:19 PM   #81
BustedS13
Post Whore!

BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post
Just wondering but what do you all do with your computers. there are some sweat set ups here, are they just gaming computers or do you need the power for work or something.
i'm sure most of them are purpose-built for gaming, but power is power. build your computer bigger now and it'll be much longer before you inevitably have to do it again.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:21 PM   #82
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
My computer is really fast. Who wants to race?
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:26 PM   #83
BustedS13
Post Whore!

i knew i'd be able to justify putting hazards on my tower at some point. meet me in the aqueduct at midnight.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:05 PM   #84
Future240
Future Moderator

Quote:
Mine is gaming and daily computing/ word interwebs etc.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:14 PM   #85
svensko
Zilvia Junkie

svensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymore
Send a message via AIM to svensko
Quote:
I'm a genetics grad student interested in a lot of bioinformatics/evolution topics so my hardware is mostly used for that. The little bit of gaming I do can run on probably 6 or 7 year hardware without too many issues.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:42 PM   #86
SochBAT
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
SochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SochBAT
Quote:
Porn.

Thats it.
SochBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:19 AM   #87
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soooshi View Post
Porn.

Thats it.
LOTS of it though, streaming multiple genres at the same time, etc.

Takes mad cpu power bro.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:29 AM   #88
Helghast
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
Helghast is close to perfectionHelghast is close to perfectionHelghast is close to perfectionHelghast is close to perfectionHelghast is close to perfectionHelghast is close to perfectionHelghast is close to perfectionHelghast is close to perfectionHelghast is close to perfectionHelghast is close to perfectionHelghast is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Helghast
Quote:

.torrents + Porn + Usenet.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:04 AM   #89
Future240
Future Moderator

Post some more pics of y'all setups!
Old 10-05-2009, 09:55 PM   #90
Future240
Future Moderator

I want this

Newegg.com - HIS H587F1GDG Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards