Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
SoCalDrifter
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
SoCalDrifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Chevy? Ford? Dodge? Toyota? Nissan?

Ok so im in the market for a brand new or 2010 or newer truck.....

Im wondering is what truck would u go with if you were buying a new truck chevy silverado? ford f150? dodge ram 1500? toyota tundra? nissan titan? im goin v8 because it will be towing my track car and dont think one of those small v6 tacomas or colorados will do the job

ive owned a titan before its was a 07 but had 100k miles i bought it used but i heard there trannys arent so good but no idea about the new ones.......??

ive also owned a 07 silverado from 40-70k miles was a great truck alot of fun but couldnt do the towing job it wasnt setup the right way but the motor could definitally do it

so with all that said what do u guys think would be the best truck to buy also what are the +/- of each truck if anyone knows thanks
SoCalDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
K_style
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (63)
K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 63 reviews
Why dont you have a poll.
K_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
There are only three choices.

Fullsize

Midsize

Compact.

Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDrifter View Post
Im wondering is what truck would u go with if you were buying a new truck chevy silverado? ford f150? dodge ram 1500? toyota tundra? nissan titan? im goin v8 because it will be towing my track car and dont think one of those small v6 tacomas or colorados will do the job
Don't over buy. If your car is a 240sx - thats 2,600lbs, a trailer will be another 800-1,500 depending. So your really looking at a max of 5,000lbs. I don't think there is a truck out there that can't pull that with ease.

I've pulled plenty of 240s with a '98 3.4L 4Runner. That thing is a slow lil piggy but it pulled just fine. When it's not towing it's getting 19mpg.

My Brocoma is a 4.fucking awesome V6. I swear the truck is faster than my 350Z was. It pulls shit like it's not there and I get 18mpg on 32" tires.

So just because you want to two 6 weekends a month doesn't mean you need to pay more up front, pay more for insurance and pay more for gas at $4 a gallon all year long.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
Corbic - What year is your Tacoma?

Because you didn't put a price in there if you want a GAS truck the new(er) 5.0 F150 is a great hauler. I've pulled my S13 with a 27' enclosed trailer quite a bit with no issues at all. Hardly tell it's behind you.

Or a Toyota Tundra with the 5.7L V8. Toyota is set to announce the new 2014 Tundra this week at the Chicago Auto show, so i would expect prices to drop on the the current body style here in the next coming weeks or months. I've hauled 240's with both a 2010 Tundra with no issues and a 2008 Toyota Seqouia Both were great, the Seqouia didn't seem quite as stable as the Tundra.

Or you could go with a Diesel truck and not worry about it, Have you considered spending less and getting an early 90s or late 80s Chevy/GMC 1 ton with the big block? Those can be found real cheap and look cool.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #6
Corbic
Post Whore!

2005 Brocoma extended cab 4X4 V6 TRD Off-Road with duratracs.

OP pass on the Tundra. It's a pile. Also, don't get a Big-Block truck unless you like single diget fuel economy while towing.

Unless you will be towing every other day, don't waste your money and time on a diesel. They are expensive to buy, maintenance can be devastating and full-size diesel trucks don't get the best fuel economy at the extra cost of diesel.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #7
PanxBimbo

Trader Rating: (0)
PanxBimbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Get a Raptor! Great TruckĀ”
PanxBimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #8
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
The only trucks I would ever consider. Yes I know it is basically the same truck.

Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
lewisfk
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
lewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I have a Ford Ecoboost and I love it. It does have a few bugs but my truck has been very solid. I have 12500 miles on mine with no problems. I average 16 mpg while towing 5000 lbs. When Im in my truck and crusing I can get anywhere from 20-25mpg at 65-75 mph. My truck is XLT Super Crew, two wheel drive with stock 18inch chrome wheels.
lewisfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
SoCalDrifter
Nissanaholic!

[QUOTE=Corbic;5125667]There are only three choices.

i wish but a raptor is to exspencive and i dont like those tacomas really idk y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
OP pass on the Tundra. It's a pile. Also, don't get a Big-Block truck unless you like single diget fuel economy while towing.

Unless you will be towing every other day, don't waste your money and time on a diesel. They are expensive to buy, maintenance can be devastating and full-size diesel trucks don't get the best fuel economy at the extra cost of diesel.
i wasnt really planning on the tundra unless they were supper great trucks because i already know how bad they were in gas took me about 250$ to drive 5 hours in one of those things haha sick truck but that V8s a killer

also didnt plan on going diesel because there super exspensive like everyones said already

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flicktitty View Post

Or you could go with a Diesel truck and not worry about it, Have you considered spending less and getting an early 90s or late 80s Chevy/GMC 1 ton with the big block? Those can be found real cheap and look cool.
^^ only way to get a cheap one is like you said a old 1990 or 1980 that will have 3xx,xxx and may blow up any day so didnt want to put my self in a old car really looking for something new to tow and daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
The only trucks I would ever consider. Yes I know it is basically the same truck.

ive always liked these truck and never heard anything bad or ever had any problems with them the denalli pick up is really nice
Old 02-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #11
SoCalDrifter
Nissanaholic!

So really im already narrowed down to Chevy Ford or dodge....

what do you guys think about the new dodges?? i heard there supposed to be really strong and nice

also corbic since your saying i shouldnt go and over spend what truck is sick/nice thats a v6 pick up?? i dont like colorados i think there ugly and maybe that tacoma you showed me but ill look it up black or a different color but what are there other then those?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #12
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
So really im already narrowed down to Chevy Ford or dodge....

what do you guys think about the new dodges?? i heard there supposed to be really strong and nice

also corbic since your saying i shouldnt go and over spend what truck is sick/nice thats a v6 pick up?? i dont like colorados i think there ugly and maybe that tacoma you showed me but ill look it up black or a different color but what are there other then those?
Defiantly take the Taco out on a test ride. Maybe the updated grill or a different color will catch your fancy. For me it was the "only choice" because I wanted the efficiency, durability and off road capability. The other trucks really lack the overland performance and fuel economy of the Tacoma. I also only tow 2-3 times a year, and even then it's just small trailers and cars.

There is also the Frontier to consider for a "medium" truck. I have no experience with them. They have boxed frames and a great spec list, but the interiors are Nissan cheap, the exterior is funky and they always get their asses handed to them by the Tacoma in off-road reviews.

The Silverado is a solid choice. Several friends have them. Back in the day I would have said Ram, but Chevy has come a long way since the old 350 and I don't much like the Ram's new looks. The Ford is the truck to beat if you read the magazines.

Specs wise any of the full sizes will do everything and more than what you want. The Ford and Ram both have base V6 engines. The next question is what style are you looking at?

Single? Extended, Crew, King Cab? Long Bed or Short? 4x4 or RWD only? Will you go off-road ever? Desert, Dunes, mud, rocks?
Old 02-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #13
Corbic
Post Whore!

Because driving over rocks slowly will never be this cool.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #14
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Why not a turbo diesel?
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #15
SoCalDrifter
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Defiantly take the Taco out on a test ride. Maybe the updated grill or a different color will catch your fancy. For me it was the "only choice" because I wanted the efficiency, durability and off road capability. The other trucks really lack the overland performance and fuel economy of the Tacoma. I also only tow 2-3 times a year, and even then it's just small trailers and cars.

There is also the Frontier to consider for a "medium" truck. I have no experience with them. They have boxed frames and a great spec list, but the interiors are Nissan cheap, the exterior is funky and they always get their asses handed to them by the Tacoma in off-road reviews.

The Silverado is a solid choice. Several friends have them. Back in the day I would have said Ram, but Chevy has come a long way since the old 350 and I don't much like the Ram's new looks. The Ford is the truck to beat if you read the magazines.

Specs wise any of the full sizes will do everything and more than what you want. The Ford and Ram both have base V6 engines. The next question is what style are you looking at?

Single? Extended, Crew, King Cab? Long Bed or Short? 4x4 or RWD only? Will you go off-road ever? Desert, Dunes, mud, rocks?
Ya i think ill check out the tacoma in person and for the frontier my friend had one before it was decently fast and could hit little jumps and what not but it didnt like how it was put together like you said kinda cheap the interior was ugly imo

Im looking for either extended or crewcab, 4x4 or rwd doesnt matter to me depends on what truck it would be on really, i like hitting trails and what not so ya it will probably be offroaded here and there also agian depending on what truck i probably wouldnt offroad a brand new silverado but if i were to get a tacoma 4x4 and all that good stuff it would be put to use
Old 02-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #16
SoCalDrifter
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisfk View Post
I have a Ford Ecoboost and I love it. It does have a few bugs but my truck has been very solid. I have 12500 miles on mine with no problems. I average 16 mpg while towing 5000 lbs. When Im in my truck and crusing I can get anywhere from 20-25mpg at 65-75 mph. My truck is XLT Super Crew, two wheel drive with stock 18inch chrome wheels.
was also looking into these also because of the ecoboost heard the gas milage is good but like you said you had a few bugs.... i think its still to soon to get one because ive still heard they have alot of problems

but doesnt ford always... thats kinda why i dont really want to get one(Found On Road Dead)
Old 02-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #17
bc.
Zilvia Addict

bc. is an unknown quantity at this point
Why 2010? I mean, there are some good trucks pre 2010 that would be great for what you need. Sorry if we are all making your decision harder, lol. The only thing I can recommend is not to buy brand new, I will never buy a new car/truck (sorry automakers).
Old 02-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #18
dluevanos01
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (23)
dluevanos01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
Why not a turbo diesel?
What he said!! after I watched this, I think the truck can tow more than a 240!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MqiFM7AB78
Old 02-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #19
SoCalDrifter
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc. View Post
Why 2010? I mean, there are some good trucks pre 2010 that would be great for what you need. Sorry if we are all making your decision harder, lol. The only thing I can recommend is not to buy brand new, I will never buy a new car/truck (sorry automakers).
im buying new because ill be trading in on it unless they have something i want at the dealership used itll probably be new
Old 02-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #20
lucky7
Post Whore!

lucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfection
Ford. My dad has an '09 ram, the first of the new body style. It's had a bunch of shit go wrong with it, and had to swap out the rear coil springs in favor of airbags to tow our trailer. As for GM, I don't do GM.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #21
shoguner
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
shoguner is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post

Couldn't agree more!!!!
i would still like a new ecoboost ford though. 10k pound tow rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dluevanos01 View Post
What he said!! after I watched this, I think the truck can tow more than a 240!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MqiFM7AB78
This is dumb. Has hardly anything to do with the fact he has a diesel.
Tire grip, weight, tire pressure all come into play....
shoguner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #22
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
If I were to buy a truck (never should happen) I wouldn't buy anything less then a turbo diesel. But then that leaves me with American cars, another thing that wouldn't happen anytime soon lol
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #23
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
If I were to buy a truck (never should happen) I wouldn't buy anything less then a turbo diesel. But then that leaves me with American cars, another thing that wouldn't happen anytime soon lol
Old 02-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #24
SoCalDrifter
Nissanaholic!

ok so i went and looked at trucks today and the f150 is nice kinda looking at that right now cause ill get a good deal at galpin

i also check out the new dodge rams and i like how they look and sound but what do you guys think motor wise/towing for them (2013) i wouldnt mind that truck over the f150

checked out chevy and there nice but more exspencive then the dodge and ford so i dont think ill be going chevy
Old 02-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #25
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
ok so i went and looked at trucks today and the f150 is nice kinda looking at that right now cause ill get a good deal at galpin

i also check out the new dodge rams and i like how they look and sound but what do you guys think motor wise/towing for them (2013) i wouldnt mind that truck over the f150

checked out chevy and there nice but more exspencive then the dodge and ford so i dont think ill be going chevy
Which Ram? There is over 100 combinations and options.

The lowest Tradesman 2WD pulls +9,000lbs...
Old 02-10-2013, 04:44 AM   #26
SoCalDrifter
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Which Ram? There is over 100 combinations and options.

The lowest Tradesman 2WD pulls +9,000lbs...
ram1500 with a v8 4 door and 2wd regular bed
Old 02-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #27
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Corbic, you got me considering the Tacoma... I remember when the X-Runner came out, Toyota said they set its performance benchmark as the 350Z, which promptly weirded me the fuck out. But know I'm considering one. The X-Runner is probably more than I wanna pay for, but is that same 240hp V6 with 6 speed trans available in other lower models? How do thay stack up against the X-Runner?
simmode1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #28
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
Corbic, you got me considering the Tacoma... I remember when the X-Runner came out, Toyota said they set its performance benchmark as the 350Z, which promptly weirded me the fuck out. But know I'm considering one. The X-Runner is probably more than I wanna pay for, but is that same 240hp V6 with 6 speed trans available in other lower models? How do thay stack up against the X-Runner?
The X-Runner is a V6 Access-Cab with body kit, 6spd manual, lowering springs, specially valved bilstein shocks and a special "x-brace" that connects the rear frame to stiffen the truck up. It may have 5-10 more HP, but it's all BS HP.

The X-runner does match the original 350Z in magazines numbers IIRC - 0-60, 1/4 mile, slalom, and breaking.

The X-runner is a 5-lug Tacoma, which is SUA and has really no aftermarket off-road potential.

A Pre-Runner gets the 6-lugs, Axle under Spring and off-road suspension set up. This gives it the better stance but is still RWD.

All 4x4s are 6-lug and receive that suspension.

In my neck of the woods a X-runner is more rare then the other trucks, but the RWD only makes it not very desirable. I was seeing X-runners for $11-14k where comprable 4X4s got a $3k premium.

So new wise - all access cabs

X-Runner, street performance truck, 5-lug, V6 + 6spd manual $26k

Pre-Runner, V6 + 5spd auto (only trans), RWD 6-lug $23K

4X4 V6, + 6spd manual, 6lug $25,800

Honestly, get a 4X4, even if you live in the SunBelt. Even if you don't care about extreme weather, 4x4 is still superior off-road and even if you don't plan to go off-roading, your future buyers will.

Also, it's one of those things that once you get it - YOU'LL WANT TO USE IT. For me it went from "pff who goes trail bombing" to "OMFG WHEN ARE WE GOING NEXT THIS ROCKS".
Old 02-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #29
Corbic
Post Whore!

SuperCharged Double Cab - 12.xx 1/4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWFq1uudXpg

8psi Xrunner 13.8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsyncF2MB_M

Fuck FI - LT is where it's at