Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #181
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
I can say the car certainly flows more air now....

...as It's developed spark blow out above 18psi

So for now I'm going to sort out what that's happening, and have Clark send me a new chip with 5m/s dwell. The plugs are new, but I may gap them even tighter as a quick test to see if that eliminates the issuee. If it does we certainly know where to go.

So for now, 15 psi it is...which is plenty fun

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #182
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
What's your gap right now?
di-devol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #183
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
.022 I'm gonna bring it back to .020 and .018 to see if it clears it up.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 04-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #184
nash-singapore

Trader Rating: (0)
nash-singapore is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for so much Info Codyace. Considering a gt2871 .64 VS the GTX 2867 .64.

Will def wait for more reviews and updates from you as im not in a rush
nash-singapore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #185
ka-turbo
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
ka-turbo is making his/her stupidity well-knownka-turbo is making his/her stupidity well-knownka-turbo is making his/her stupidity well-knownka-turbo is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
idk were u got that info from, cause i also read it and theres no were, where it says they only sell it as a .72 a/r.......

i just recieved my turbo.....FINALLY as well...and i have a few question.
1. the back/exhaust turbine has the metal round flat piece behind the exhaust turbine...is it normal to have a little bit of play in that metal round flat piece?
2.did anyone else get that piece for the turbine housing to connect it to the turbo itself? or was that seperate....and how much does that cost?
3. did anyone ever fig out how i could delineate the exhaust housing on wether or not it is a 72 vs 64
Old 04-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #186
codyace
Post Whore!

[QUOTE=ka-turbo;4649674]
i just recieved my turbo.....FINALLY as well...and i have a few question.
1. the back/exhaust turbine has the metal round flat piece behind the exhaust turbine...is it normal to have a little bit of play in that metal round flat piece?[/quoote]

Yes, that is the seal. Once you get the housing on that will be tight as concrete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-turbo View Post
2.did anyone else get that piece for the turbine housing to connect it to the turbo itself? or was that seperate....and how much does that cost?
In addition to the turbine housing you'll need the locking plates (3 of them) and the bolts.

Quote:
3. did anyone ever fig out how i could delineate the exhaust housing on wether or not it is a 72 vs 64
The wheel is the same trim/size/type...the housings are what have different A/R .64/.86 being the traditional common Garrett housings (in T2 flange) and then the .72 ATP one.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:51 PM   #187
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
huffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
The housing only comes in a .72, where did you see the .64 option?

I have that same atp t25-ewg-44 housing and it doesnt have any AR markings anywhere...
huffandpuff00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:57 PM   #188
ka-turbo
Zilvia Member

ka-turbo is making his/her stupidity well-knownka-turbo is making his/her stupidity well-knownka-turbo is making his/her stupidity well-knownka-turbo is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffandpuff00 View Post
The housing only comes in a .72, where did you see the .64 option?

I have that same atp t25-ewg-44 housing and it doesnt have any AR markings anywhere...

ok well i got the same housing then... .72 but i asked the guy for .64 and well looks like i got the .72 but oh well im sure it will still spool really good and have a better top end...

KA-T, GTX soon to be up and running lol
Old 04-22-2012, 11:59 PM   #189
ka-turbo
Zilvia Member

and im assuming nobody got the lokcing plate with there exhaust housing...or turbo itself???....were can i get them

THNX for the help
Old 04-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #190
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
and im assuming nobody got the lokcing plate with there exhaust housing...or turbo itself???....were can i get them

THNX for the help
ATP has em

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...egory_Code=HAC

Old 04-23-2012, 10:36 PM   #191
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

huffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura about
Went to PSI and found my turbo had been but back together with coated turbine and manifold. I played around with the MVS and there is around a 1/2" clearance between top and strut tower. Next is rerouting some PS lines and wrapping everything in fire sleeve.

also someone asked if it would be easier to weld a MVS flange on the normal turbine housing. The atp housing gets fatter for the flange which made it easy for my flange to get welded on, but im sure a good fabricator would be able to make it happen just fine.

bubbles out for flange

No bubble
Old 04-23-2012, 11:26 PM   #192
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Looks good, glad you got enough clearance. i was there this morning, guess i missed you again.
di-devol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #193
codyace
Post Whore!

The big issue I would have, is is there enough room to really get the flange there and properly venting into the turbo. Should work though.

Another thing to consider, if it's a 1/4 inch away, will it rub under accelleration?

Old 04-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #194
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
The engine torques away from the driver's side framerail IIRC.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #195
codyace
Post Whore!

Ahhhh that is true..i forgot about my personal dislike torque dampers as they really dont do anythingx

Old 04-24-2012, 10:13 PM   #196
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
But torque dampers are static in both directions... They helped a lot on my engine...
Old 04-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #197
MadScientist
Zilvia.net Advertiser

MadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really nice
Will one of you fools please just go put this on a Dyno... your killing us!!
MadScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #198
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

Ill get close up pics on Thursday of the WG mounted, but there is lots of room(1/2" or more) between strut tower. My issue now is moving my PS return line to accommodate the dump pipe.

Last edited by huffandpuff00; 04-25-2012 at 05:27 AM..
Old 04-25-2012, 01:13 AM   #199
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
Will one of you fools please just go put this on a Dyno... your killing us!!
Hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks -- got it installed tonight, but haven't fired the car up yet.
e1_griego is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #200
codyace
Post Whore!

Smashed plug gap down to .019 tonight and took it out for a rip at 20 psi....holy shit does it fly....

...brought it back in and went to check plugs again and lo and behd when i pulled the one plug off it left the crimped metal part on the plug...essentially pulling it out of the new boots. FUCK.

Took some pics and sent them to magnecor...i hope they can hook me up. I think i could normally fix this but dont want to tear it apart just in tge event they want it for.warrenty.

So it definetly will need more dwell than factory to work at a normal .025ish gap...but other than that it runs great at big boost. I can say for sure now that this turbo is much more responsive than the old 1 maybe not over r p m that certainly overtime. Do not get me wrong though the dyno does not lie and will still test it. I hope i can rig it up for this sundays dynoday

Old 04-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #201
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
LuckyX2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Glad to hear it's hauling ass. Shame about the troubles but whatever, that's high performance car ownership...

What dyno day are you talking about Sunday?
LuckyX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #202
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Cody, you could always go to a performance shop and have them make you up a quick set of spare wires. Usually anyone that stocks wires/ends/terminals has the tools necessary to build wires on hand.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #203
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Cody, you could always go to a performance shop and have them make you up a quick set of spare wires. Usually anyone that stocks wires/ends/terminals has the tools necessary to build wires on hand.

The thing is with these wires, is that I don't have the traditional setup, as they are a major PITA to get onto the plugs themselves, once they are in the engine. You can almsot forget about remvoing them properly.

I had Magnecore make me a set with FWD SR20 boots, and then the LSX packs on the other. Being that NO ONE offers the long shank style boosts in a DIY kit, I was forced to use them. I think I'll be able to salvage this one by getting dukes of hazzard on it, but I still have two new ones on the way (one spare now to prevent this from happening again).

Old 04-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #204
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyX2 View Post
Glad to hear it's hauling ass. Shame about the troubles but whatever, that's high performance car ownership...

What dyno day are you talking about Sunday?
Sloppy Mechanics Dyno Day

Check the Northeast States section for more info

Old 04-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #205
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
The thing is with these wires, is that I don't have the traditional setup, as they are a major PITA to get onto the plugs themselves, once they are in the engine. You can almsot forget about remvoing them properly.

I had Magnecore make me a set with FWD SR20 boots, and then the LSX packs on the other. Being that NO ONE offers the long shank style boosts in a DIY kit, I was forced to use them. I think I'll be able to salvage this one by getting dukes of hazzard on it, but I still have two new ones on the way (one spare now to prevent this from happening again).
When I had the LSx conversion on my SR I used long boots made by MSD however they didn't seal around the plug hole like the factory coils. It wasn't that big of a deal to me, but some people prefer to keep them sealed. With that said I have extra connectors(both ends) and wires if you or anyone you know needs them. I now have AEM pencil coils with the VVL setup.

Either way, looking forward to seeing results. I've been wanting a fairly stock DD setup to run for response etc, not that the VVL won't be, but it's more of a track car now.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #206
codyace
Post Whore!

Yea the sealing aspect wasn't an issue to me, but man were they a real jerk to get on and off correctly/securly in my setup. I used the MSD straight boots.

my other consideration was the fact that I mounted my coils where the cruise control stuff was on the s14, as a way to keep them from the heat, while keeping the engine itself less cluttered. I was initially going to use the OEM GM plugs, but the coils had to be mounted in a way that also interfered with the hood. My other option was to mount them to the intake, and then purchase Honda MSD plugs, hack the end, and then adapt the MSD LSX coil boots...but the cost was the same as these Magnacores, so it seemed as a no brainer to go with the right end, and save myself the hacking.

I know I know, I sound like Mr Excuse, but the setup was great...well, until the crimp stayed on the plug. Agian I'm supposed to have new ones coming, I think I can push the wire through this the long shank boot, recrimp, and ten pull it back through...but I didn't want to do that until I had the yay/nay from magnacore

I reallly can't think of a more fun street car setup...sure a 28RS based car would be fun (even a GT28r), but lets be serious, who wouldn't want the top end haha.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:41 PM   #207
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
Smashed plug gap down to .019 tonight and took it out for a rip at 20 psi....holy shit does it fly....

...brought it back in and went to check plugs again and lo and behd when i pulled the one plug off it left the crimped metal part on the plug...essentially pulling it out of the new boots. FUCK.

Took some pics and sent them to magnecor...i hope they can hook me up. I think i could normally fix this but dont want to tear it apart just in tge event they want it for.warrenty.

So it definetly will need more dwell than factory to work at a normal .025ish gap...but other than that it runs great at big boost. I can say for sure now that this turbo is much more responsive than the old 1 maybe not over r p m that certainly overtime. Do not get me wrong though the dyno does not lie and will still test it. I hope i can rig it up for this sundays dynoday
You running copper BKR7E's? You should be running iridiums (BKR7EIX) - so much nicer of a plug, and they are much more efficient. Coppers take much more voltage to jump the gap when new, and then get really bad after just 500-1000 miles.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:39 AM   #208
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

here is a horrible picture of the WG on, i was in a rush

Dump

ill try to get a better clearance picture sometime
Old 04-27-2012, 07:24 AM   #209
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Huff- How tight is that dump to the frame rail? Only concern is it'll hit the frame under heavy load. My top mount dump was a little too close and on hard acceleration mine would hit/vibrate.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:50 AM   #210
MadScientist
Zilvia.net Advertiser

MadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
You running copper BKR7E's? You should be running iridiums (BKR7EIX) - so much nicer of a plug, and they are much more efficient. Coppers take much more voltage to jump the gap when new, and then get really bad after just 500-1000 miles.
Its an HP thing... IX come pre-gap and its very hard and risky to adjust the gap.
The evo guys run these all the time because they hold for around 3k miles then they trash them because there cheep on the wallet.

If your running a COP w/ CDI the copper will not foul so early, and does produce good burn.
MadScientist is offline   Reply With Quote