Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:49 AM   #1
eastslider

Trader Rating: (0)
eastslider is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S-AFC safe/reliable on a S14 Zenki SR all stock other then Z32 maf?

Hey Zilvians! My maf isn't working how it should and I tried looking on the net for a replacement and all I found were used mafs that look worse then my broken maf and selling for 150+...... But I did find a brand new Z32 maf for under 100$
New Mass Air Flow Sensor Meter MAF Fits 300zx J30 Z32 | eBay

my set up is 7psi no boost solenoid...
3" exhaust from turbo elbow
intake
FMIC

so stock.... i just want a good reliable daily driver thats not gonna blow up... please help me out with input if you guys read this, have a great day guys.
eastslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Mikester is a well-known jackass
SAFC = garbage.

Good reliable setup that won't blow up is OEM MAFS on stock ECU tune.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
eastslider

thx for the input i don't wanna run something that might blow my engine but would anyone know where i could buy a new zenki s14 sr20 maf?
Old 11-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
SAFC are as reliable as how they were wired into the factory harness...which is usually horrible.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
iRONDONkey
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
iRONDONkey is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ROM tunes such as enthalpy
iRONDONkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

If getting a 'new' Z32 MAFS is the only option you think you have, then save your $$$ for a Power FC. You can wire a Z32 MAFS in and just select it as your default and the car will run perfectly without having to potentially dick up your settings. I'm sure there are other standalones that are just as user-friendly as well (Google search away).

Pretty sure you are not going to find a new S14 MAFS... also pretty sure that chances are fair-to-good that if a seller says a used one works, it prolly does- just make sure to check their feedback. I've bought a lot of stuff on Ebay and have had very good luck dealing with sellers. If you are not sure if something works, send them a message and ask. If they say it does- buy it and make sure you use Paypal... so you get buyer's protection. I think you are overthinking it. I understand you want a reliable setup. That being said, I think a used OEM MAFS is your best bet.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
Veryflush
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Veryflush is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I run a safc Neo tuned. My car runs like stock and makes 346whp on a black top sr. If you go safc Neo make sure it's wires by a professional. All the negative comments about safc is because they did it themselves and fucked it up.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2
Veryflush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #8
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veryflush View Post
I run a safc Neo tuned. My car runs like stock and makes 346whp on a black top sr. If you go safc Neo make sure it's wires by a professional. All the negative comments about safc is because they did it themselves and fucked it up.

No moron, all the negative comments are because it can't control timing and is a useless piece of shit. Timing is what kills motors... Do some research before you speak out of your ass next time.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #9
Veryflush
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
No moron, all the negative comments are because it can't control timing and is a useless piece of shit. Timing is what kills motors... Do some research before you speak out of your ass next time.
I know it doesn't control timing you stupid fuck, but it's obviously not worthless as you make it out to be. He's not building a god damn race car he's putting on a z32 and keeping boost levels stock. So why go power FC for that moron? Would be a waste of fucking money. Watch your damn tone kid.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
iRONDONkey
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
iRONDONkey is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
$349 aint bad for a enthalpy tune..

zilvia members get $50 off

:/
iRONDONkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
Veryflush
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRONDONkey View Post
$349 aint bad for a enthalpy tune..

zilvia members get $50 off

:/
X2 a lot cheaper then going power fc

Old 11-14-2012, 03:40 PM   #12
Johnphen
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
Johnphen is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
SAFC is a great cheap way to tune your car, although enthalpy is about the same price.

the AFC, AFC NEO get bad reps on boards, mostly from sheep who have zero experience using the piggyback.

bottom line, if u have one use it. if you have 300ish burning a hole in your pocket, go enthalpy tune
Johnphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #13
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
I've had a SAFC, only thing its good for is to fine tune the rich fuel map you usually get from ROM tunes. Or like stated earlier, just to make MAF corrections for a Z-MAF.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I know it doesn't control timing you stupid fuck, but it's obviously not worthless as you make it out to be. He's not building a god damn race car he's putting on a z32 and keeping boost levels stock. So why go power FC for that moron? Would be a waste of fucking money. Watch your damn tone kid.

OoOo, someone has their panties in a wad. I never mentioned a PFC idiot, an SAFC is a waste of money, any way to slice it. He can spend $349 on a ROM tune and be better off. No one keeps their car stock and a ROM tune will give him room to grow. An SAFC is a recipe for catastrophe...
Old 11-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #15
Johnphen
Zilvia Member

Quote:
OoOo, someone has their panties in a wad. I never mentioned a PFC idiot, an SAFC is a waste of money, any way to slice it, He can spend $349 on a ROM tune and be better off. No one keeps their car stock and a ROM tune will give him room to grow. An SAFC is a recipe for catastrophe...
I wasn't going to chime in, or defend the other guy, but you coming out and saying do some research, and that timing kills motors and that's the basis of a AFC being crap is ignorant.

If the OP has an existing AFC, use it. its not a ticking time bomb, or a "catastrophe" waiting to happen as some of you kids like to put it. It's a tuning device, and put in the wrong hands it will fuck shit up just like any other tuning device.

OP asked if a AFC is safe, the answer is a resounding yes.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #16
Veryflush
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnphen View Post
I wasn't going to chime in, or defend the other guy, but you coming out and saying do some research, and that timing kills motors and that's the basis of a AFC being crap is ignorant.

If the OP has an existing AFC, use it. its not a ticking time bomb, or a "catastrophe" waiting to happen as some of you kids like to put it. It's a tuning device, and put in the wrong hands it will fuck shit up just like any other tuning device.

Thank you for posting in a mature manor. I was going to get into more depth but I'm at work.

Op wants a quick simple solution. Safc-150 dollars. Z32 maf-70-100 dollars. Tune 200 an hour depending on shop. Only takes an hour for what you need.

Or get a tuning based rom ecu and have it tuned. In my opinion I would just find a sr s14 maf and call it a day I'm sure people on here are parting your exact motor.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #17
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:

What I'm getting at is he comes in here and throws around 346hp on an SAFC. Sure it's possible, but there are other factors to consider. I'm trying to protect the image that he protrayed. It is not ok to wire in an SAFC and go out and turn up the boost. Perhaps I got a little carried away and I apologize for the stab at him. Sure a MAF swap and SAFC should be fine, but people tend to take it further than that and it's not something that should be done. An SAFC is archaic at best and is not a very good "tuning tool". It is bare bones, fuel TRIM only and not full on tuning tool as some people tend to believe they are.

As far as an SAFC being safe, it depends on how he intends to use it. Boost up, larger MAF and stock injectors, not so much...
Old 11-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #18
Veryflush
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
OoOo, someone has their panties in a wad. I never mentioned a PFC idiot, an SAFC is a waste of money, any way to slice it. He can spend $349 on a ROM tune and be better off. No one keeps their car stock and a ROM tune will give him room to grow. An SAFC is a recipe for catastrophe...
My car has been running one for a year now and no issues....hmmm

19 psi 346whp dd..hasn't blown up yet. Nice over exaggeration.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #19
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
My car has been running one for a year now and no issues....hmmm

19 psi 346whp dd..hasn't blown up yet. Nice over exaggeration.

Read above....
Old 11-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #20
Johnphen
Zilvia Member

Quote:
What I'm getting at is he comes in here and throws around 346hp on an SAFC. Sure it's possible, but there are other factors to consider. I'm trying to protect the image that he protrayed. It is not ok to wire in an SAFC and go out and turn up the boost. Perhaps I got a little carried away and I apologize for the stab at him. Sure a MAF swap and SAFC should be fine, but people tend to take it further than that and it's not something that should be done. An SAFC is archaic at best and is not a very good "tuning tool". It is bare bones, fuel TRIM only and not full on tuning tool as some people tend to believe they are.

As far as an SAFC being safe, it depends on how he intends to use it. Boost up, larger MAF and stock injectors, not so much...
Sorry, but there's a whole lot of misinformation in what you are saying there.

Big injectors and bigger boost is exactly what the SAFC is for, and in no way would it be a detriment to the OP to use a AFC and turn up the boost unless he didn't know what he was doing.

Having tuned boosted cars since 1996, including the very first AFC I can tell you that a lot of what you are saying is misinformation.

MAF + AFC sucks? sure if you are venting to atmosphere. I would have no problem with someone coming out and saying that, or referring to airflow overrun, limited IPW or other such annoyances when it comes to the AFC.

But coming right out and just blasting it like you did doesn't do anyone justice. You have some points, but none that answer the OP's original question or the validity of an AFC on his SR.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #21
jr_ss
Post Whore!

I'll be honest and tell you I know nothing of the new units nor do I care to. I think piggy back fuel computers are a waste and obviously wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the SAFC 2 have a limit to the size of fuel injector if can control?
Old 11-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #22
eastslider

I just wanted a alternate solution from getting a used s14 maf.. but hmm maybe just getting another used maf and pray that is cherry is the best route for me cause im just going to keep it stock boost... thanks guys for the input!!! I wish sr's came stock with MAP -.-
Old 11-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #23
Johnphen
Zilvia Member

yes, you are right there's only so much correction range for the AFC.

its definitely not a time where you could honestly recommend an AFC to anyone, unless they are interested in BPU only kind of mods, or have an existing AFC laying about. tuning has come a long way since the piggyback age.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #24
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastslider;4999222
my set up is 7psi no boost solenoid...
3" exhaust from turbo elbow
intake
FMIC

[B
so stock.... i just want a good reliable daily driver thats not gonna blow up...[/B] please help me out with input if you guys read this, have a great day guys.

Can't we all just get along???

OP just needs a used S14/SR MAFS that works and he will have a DD that is about as reliable as can be. He doesn't need a new Z32 MAFS, and he doesn't need any potential points of failure tapped into his wiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastslider View Post
I just wanted a alternate solution from getting a used s14 maf.. but hmm maybe just getting another used maf and pray that is cherry is the best route for me cause im just going to keep it stock boost... thanks guys for the input!!! I wish sr's came stock with MAP -.-
^^What he said~
Old 11-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #25
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
yes, you are right there's only so much correction range for the AFC.

its definitely not a time where you could honestly recommend an AFC to anyone, unless they are interested in BPU only kind of mods, or have an existing AFC laying about.
That's what I was getting at. There is a small window of adjustments on the SAFC. You're limited by the unit and any one venturing outside of that window can be sure of a let down.

Alright, he could spend the money to buy an SAFC, the MAF and keep it stock, but over the course of my automotive endeavors, experience has taught me that it would be money wasted. He's limited by the tuning tool and would have to spend more money to get a "different" setup. I think that a ROM tune would serve him and his car better than, a potential wiring and "tuning" mishap by the end user. You really can't beat plug N play.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #26
Veryflush
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Sorry, but there's a whole lot of misinformation in what you are saying there.

Big injectors and bigger boost is exactly what the SAFC is for, and in no way would it be a detriment to the OP to use a AFC and turn up the boost unless he didn't know what he was doing.

Having tuned boosted cars since 1996, including the very first AFC I can tell you that a lot of what you are saying is misinformation.

MAF + AFC sucks? sure if you are venting to atmosphere. I would have no problem with someone coming out and saying that, or referring to airflow overrun, limited IPW or other such annoyances when it comes to the AFC.

But coming right out and just blasting it like you did doesn't do anyone justice. You have some points, but none that answer the OP's original question or the validity of an AFC on his SR.
That's one issue I hate is my ssq being vented with the safc.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #27
Johnphen
Zilvia Member

Quote:
That's one issue I hate is my ssq being vented with the safc.

think of it as your very own personal fireball maker... want fire? just shift!
Old 11-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #28
Veryflush
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
think of it as your very own personal fireball maker... want fire? just shift!
Mine sounds like a damn gun shot lol

Old 11-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #29
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
No, do not use a SAFC or a Z-32 maf on an OEM Setup.

The most reliable setup is the factory setup. Change anything is asking for problems.