Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:53 AM   #1
NeedCAforS13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
NeedCAforS13 has a spectacular aura aboutNeedCAforS13 has a spectacular aura aboutNeedCAforS13 has a spectacular aura aboutNeedCAforS13 has a spectacular aura aboutNeedCAforS13 has a spectacular aura aboutNeedCAforS13 has a spectacular aura aboutNeedCAforS13 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NeedCAforS13
GTi-R Internals in S13 SR20DET?

Stupid question alert:

How similar is a GTi-R SR20DET to an S13 SR20DET? I know you can't use a GTi-R head or block in a RWD application, but can you use the internal parts?

Long story short, I spun a rod bearing in my blacktop S13 SR20DET. It needs a new crank and a new rod. I'll be doing new oil pump and new bearings while I'm in there. I have been trying to source another long block to use for parts, but I got an idea I thought I'd run by someone who knows more about SR's than me

I was thinking about getting a GTi-R motor, using the crank, rods, pistons, etc. to rebuild my current block, and you get the added bonus of an ITB manifold w/ top feed injectors (which needs to be cut/rewelded to be used on an S13, I know) and a decent T28. Also, doesn't the GTi-R use solid lifters? Can the head internals be swapped into an S13 SR20 head?

Suggestions? Errors in my logic? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:22 AM   #2
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The crank in the GTi-R motor has wider journal areas and uses wider journal bearings, but I don't remember if it will swap directly into a RWD block or not.

As for the solid lifter stuff, yes, that all will swap to a RWD head. As a matter of fact, I think 1 of the company's conversion kits out there is basically just RNN14 stuff.

However, if you have a black top S13 motor, chances are you already have 54C pistons and stuff, which are the same stuff as the RNN14 pistons and what not.

So really, you're looking at possibly being able to use the crank/rods from the RNN14 motor, the intake stuff after you've cut and rewelded it, the injectors, and the solid lifter stuffs.

Good luck w/ the rebuild Sean!
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:31 AM   #3
NeedCAforS13
Zilvia Addict

NeedCAforS13 has a spectacular aura aboutNeedCAforS13 has a spectacular aura aboutNeedCAforS13 has a spectacular aura aboutNeedCAforS13 has a spectacular aura aboutNeedCAforS13 has a spectacular aura aboutNeedCAforS13 has a spectacular aura aboutNeedCAforS13 has a spectacular aura about
Neat. Thanks for the info buddy

Anyone have a definate yes/no on the crank? Thats the main piece I need. I would also like to swap out pistons, since whoever owned this motor before me was a moron, and put the rocker arm guides/shims in backwards causing the valves to open slightly too far and whack the pistons. Not hard enough to damage them, but it put little dimples in all of them. So if I can use the pistons out of a GTi-R motor that helps too. Haha.

I've also been reading that the GTi-R oil pump flows better than an S13 pump, and fits with some modifications... hmm.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:48 AM   #4
Teambadrun
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Teambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
crank bearing size s13 - 17mm , GTiR - 19mm

the conrods are thicker slightly
and also,
the gtir flywheel bolts are 2mm bigger.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:06 AM   #5
NeedCAforS13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teambadrun View Post
crank bearing size s13 - 17mm , GTiR - 19mm

the conrods are thicker slightly
and also,
the gtir flywheel bolts are 2mm bigger.

Thanks for the info! But the question remains, if I used GTiR bearings, will the crank physically fit (and work) in an S13 block? I've been searching, and found one guy who claims to be running a GTiR crank, rods, and pistons in his S13 block...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/208651/8

Can I keep my Nismo flywheel/clutch set up from my S13? Or will the 2mm bigger flywheel bolts prevent that? I suppose I could get the flywheel bolt holes machined 2mm larger... thoughts on that?
Old 02-04-2009, 08:28 AM   #6
NeedCAforS13
Zilvia Addict

Nevermind, I answered my own question. While the bearings themselves are wider, the actual rod caps are the same size...

rods look a good bit thicker too. which would be nice.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:32 AM   #7
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Well then, get to work meng
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:08 AM   #8
Teambadrun
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Teambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i believe you can run the gtir conrod bearings

i just ended up getting a GTiR fly wheel and bolts from a friend. instead of drilling the flywheel, then getting it balanced and stuff to suit...

here in aus we have shitloads of GTiR parts so that was the easiest thing to do

good luck !!

any questions just ask
Old 11-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #9
lilracerhb

Trader Rating: (0)
lilracerhb is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
you can run the head if you use the gtir oil pump
lilracerhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #10
GroundPerformance
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (44)
GroundPerformance is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedCAforS13 View Post
rods look a good bit thicker too. which would be nice.

This pic is between SR20DE vs SR20DET rods.. LMK if you need verification got bunch of those.

SoCal KA24DET/KA24ET Owners
<< Join the FB Group >>
GroundPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
GroundPerformance
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (44)
GroundPerformance is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
You should be able to run solid lifters setup from the GTi-R on the S13 SR

SoCal KA24DET/KA24ET Owners
<< Join the FB Group >>