Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Local / Regional / National > Japan 日本

Old 12-17-2015, 09:48 PM   #1
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
Sourcing Vehicles...

I figured I'd get more unbiased responses on here. I know there are a few dudes that have lived in Japan for quite some time now. I'm going back to my n00b roots but I want to ask the famous question:

What's the best way to get a car in Japan?

I'm set on an S13 Silvia K's two-tone but I haven't dismissed the R32 GTR completely. I've dealt with a coupe of American sellers that don't seem to be giving me the run-around but I wanted to get some opinions from the people in-country at this time:

What should I expect to pay for each of those realistically?
Old 12-17-2015, 11:43 PM   #2
nissan180sxer
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
nissan180sxer has a spectacular aura aboutnissan180sxer has a spectacular aura aboutnissan180sxer has a spectacular aura aboutnissan180sxer has a spectacular aura aboutnissan180sxer has a spectacular aura aboutnissan180sxer has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
there's a few ways that I know of.

you can look up "Japan Bases Used Cars" on facebook, Chris Roberts can help you look for cars at auction, does the paperwork, JCI etc. a lot of people have bought skylines from him

I got my silvia off www.tradecarview.com but they mostly do export but the seller decided to sell it to me anyways. the seller buy cars from auctions as well, if you cant find a car let me know i can give you his info.

hope that helps
nissan180sxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:13 AM   #3
dizzariot
Post Whore!

dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan180sxer View Post
there's a few ways that I know of.

you can look up "Japan Bases Used Cars" on facebook, Chris Roberts can help you look for cars at auction, does the paperwork, JCI etc. a lot of people have bought skylines from him

I got my silvia off www.tradecarview.com but they mostly do export but the seller decided to sell it to me anyways. the seller buy cars from auctions as well, if you cant find a car let me know i can give you his info.

hope that helps
I'll look them up when I'm at work, thanks! How much do they (Silvias/R32s) usually go for?
Old 12-18-2015, 09:58 AM   #4
nissan180sxer
Zilvia Junkie

nissan180sxer has a spectacular aura aboutnissan180sxer has a spectacular aura aboutnissan180sxer has a spectacular aura aboutnissan180sxer has a spectacular aura aboutnissan180sxer has a spectacular aura aboutnissan180sxer has a spectacular aura about
Cheapest r32 gtr i've seen for sale was $9k but interior was pretty beat but i would say for a decent GTR, verys from $12k-16K

got my s13 Q's for $2500. K's i would say around $5-6K? depends on condition etc.
nissan180sxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:21 AM   #5
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan180sxer View Post
Cheapest r32 gtr i've seen for sale was $9k but interior was pretty beat but i would say for a decent GTR, verys from $12k-16K

got my s13 Q's for $2500. K's i would say around $5-6K? depends on condition etc.
Gonna PM you!
Old 12-21-2015, 04:14 PM   #6
xpinoyxmk
Zilvia Addict

xpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura about
R32's over here jump in price when they soon become old enough to export.

S13's stock in mint, original condition can be found for $4-5k.

Bought my 180 from carsensor.net, mint, original condition for $3800 from Tsukuba area. Searched the area 2 weeks before finding it, just have to be patient.

Auctions are a good place to look but its like Ebay so you can't go inspect it first.
xpinoyxmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:27 PM   #7
GC211

Trader Rating: (0)
GC211 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Come to Japan

Bro, I have been living in Japan for over 40 years. The best way to purchase a car here is to be here. Without actually looking and touching a car you have no idea what your buying. If you get a good deal on a car, its probably because its been into an accident or cause its in horrible condition. I have seen R32 Skylines being sold for ridiculous amounts of money and they all look like shit on the outside and inside. A Silvia shouldn't be hard to find here. But I guarantee its a piece of crap.
GC211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:33 PM   #8
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpinoyxmk View Post
R32's over here jump in price when they soon become old enough to export.

S13's stock in mint, original condition can be found for $4-5k.

Bought my 180 from carsensor.net, mint, original condition for $3800 from Tsukuba area. Searched the area 2 weeks before finding it, just have to be patient.

Auctions are a good place to look but its like Ebay so you can't go inspect it first.

I'm not looking for anything special. By Japanese standards I think I'm looking for something pretty common: an OEM-spec, ~60k mileage, very well kept Silvia AND 180SX. They don't have to have suspension or wheels. I just want something that's 'factory'. I'd prefer the SR but the CA seems to be more prevalent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC211 View Post
Bro, I have been living in Japan for over 40 years. The best way to purchase a car here is to be here. Without actually looking and touching a car you have no idea what your buying. If you get a good deal on a car, its probably because its been into an accident or cause its in horrible condition. I have seen R32 Skylines being sold for ridiculous amounts of money and they all look like shit on the outside and inside. A Silvia shouldn't be hard to find here. But I guarantee its a piece of crap.

...are all Silvias shitty, though? I'm not looking for a drift car or a built car. I'm looking for something owned by an old Japanese dude all it's life lol.

I know it's best to wait until I get there. I just have this fanboy dream of scooping a two-tone K's. If I could find a purple/grey one I'd shit an actual brick.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:23 PM   #9
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Just took a quick peak at some finished auction prices, and a clean low kilometers 180SX example was $8K+. Keep in mind that these are acution prices, and they can very (plus you can get lucky).

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:39 PM   #10
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky_ab View Post
Just took a quick peak at some finished auction prices, and a clean low kilometers 180SX example was $8K+. Keep in mind that these are acution prices, and they can very (plus you can get lucky).
I mean, it doesn't have to have super low miles. I was looking around the 60,XXX miles range. I've had a couple brokers send me images and specs of numerous Silvias. The two-tone Ks are (of course) more expensive because they're legal for export. I just received some information on a white, '93 Ks with an SR and factory 5spd. Considerably lower price and SUPER clean.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:17 PM   #11
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
I'll be honest with you since I've imported a few cars. If I had the chance to see it in person, I would wait. If not, then import with a company that will go the extra mile in order to insure that you get what you're looking for.

I was sent cars that met my criteria daily, and lost a few auctions along the way. It's a bit nerve racking to say the least.

With my current import car, I got it under budget, and had over a gigs worth of pictures and videos (complete with interior, exterior, and running engine). Did I pay a bit more then other venders could have imported one for me? Sure, but they wouldn't have gone through those extra steps in order to get me what I want.

Anyways, good luck with your search my man!

Old 12-24-2015, 04:33 AM   #12
xpinoyxmk
Zilvia Addict

xpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura about
For 8k you can have a 97-98 180sx type-x. Anything thats within range of export, i.e. with a year, will have a stupid price attached.

I bought my car with around 13xk km which is like 80k miles. That was around 1 year ago.

Not sure why you want an original two-tone. I would get the newest year you can. Collect the oem aero you want and then have it painted the two-tone you want here. Learn Japanese, make friends and a nice paint job won't be that expensive.

Heres my final advice, wait till you get here, buy a kei car for like $500 to get around and start searching for your prime car.
xpinoyxmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:39 PM   #13
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:
I'll be honest with you since I've imported a few cars. If I had the chance to see it in person, I would wait. If not, then import with a company that will go the extra mile in order to insure that you get what you're looking for.

I was sent cars that met my criteria daily, and lost a few auctions along the way. It's a bit nerve racking to say the least.

With my current import car, I got it under budget, and had over a gigs worth of pictures and videos (complete with interior, exterior, and running engine). Did I pay a bit more then other venders could have imported one for me? Sure, but they wouldn't have gone through those extra steps in order to get me what I want.

Anyways, good luck with your search my man!
I'm not looking to import. I'll be living in Japan for three years. The broker I'm using is super forthright and honest about condition. He knows I want a two-tone K's but is honest about the condition they'll be in since they're older. Just like you, I'm willing to pay the price for the exact trim I'm looking for. The only reason my feelers are out now is to avoid the whole 'oh-fuck-I-just-missed-one-that-sold' when I get there. Aren't you over there right now...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpinoyxmk View Post
For 8k you can have a 97-98 180sx type-x. Anything thats within range of export, i.e. with a year, will have a stupid price attached.

I bought my car with around 13xk km which is like 80k miles. That was around 1 year ago.

Not sure why you want an original two-tone. I would get the newest year you can. Collect the oem aero you want and then have it painted the two-tone you want here. Learn Japanese, make friends and a nice paint job won't be that expensive.

Heres my final advice, wait till you get here, buy a kei car for like $500 to get around and start searching for your prime car.
By the time I leave Japan I'll only be able to (legally) bring back a '94 car. That means the Type-X can't happen unless I extend there...but that's so far off I can't tell you if I'll be staying on or getting out and moving back to the states.

I want a two-tone for the same, irrational reasons all s-chassis owners want to deal with the hassle of owning these cars. It's an era, trim, and history thing for me.

I'm selling my SR'd fastback before I leave. I'll be keeping all the suspension and aftermarket parts and they'll be included in my PCS move. My wife is on board with my plan to bring back a Silvia AND a 180SX. I've been in contact with brokers and Japanese friends and it looks like I can expect to pay ~$4500 for a K's and around ~$3000 for a 180SX. One car will be shipped back for free via the military and I'll have to pay out of pocket for the other.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:11 AM   #14
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Ah okay, you're in a great position since you can do both. For me it was a one way street.

I still think it would be a lot better to see the cars in person, but that's just me. I know what you mean by not wanting to miss out on one. I've actually stopped looking at auctions since I bought my last car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-28-2015, 04:40 PM   #15
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:
Ah okay, you're in a great position since you can do both. For me it was a one way street.

I still think it would be a lot better to see the cars in person, but that's just me. I know what you mean by not wanting to miss out on one. I've actually stopped looking at auctions since I bought my last car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you've got the ability to help me out then I have the funds lol. I'm really hoping to score a two-tone that's in decent shape. If I could score a purple/grey one I'd be stoked...
Old 01-05-2016, 09:21 PM   #16
racer98
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (128)
racer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 128 reviews
Send a message via AIM to racer98 Send a message via MSN to racer98
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzariot View Post
I figured I'd get more unbiased responses on here.
LOL.

And source your own car, there are a lot of people and people who are acting as business in Japan who are Illegal grab your cash and dash. Best go there in person make sure you find the right car and be ready to pay a premium based on the non resident bidders at the auctions or dealers who act like they are having a seizure when bidding buying a used car at the wholesale market now.

Good luck. Pm me if you have more questions.
racer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:09 AM   #17
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Def look in person or find a seller willing to take pics of whatever you want.
Don't trust that they know what they are talking about and can judge the condition of the car.

I made that mistake when I first arrived here to Misawa 3 years ago. I got too excited and impatient when I bought my first GTR, I took the dealers word that the car was in fairly good condition with Normal wear.

Turns out rusted pinch welds and holes in the floor board are normal wear....

Stay away from any car being sold up North.

Check out my Project BNR32 thread to see what happens when you rush or dont dig deep.
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:38 PM   #18
GC211

Trader Rating: (0)
GC211 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
Def look in person or find a seller willing to take pics of whatever you want.
Don't trust that they know what they are talking about and can judge the condition of the car.

I made that mistake when I first arrived here to Misawa 3 years ago. I got too excited and impatient when I bought my first GTR, I took the dealers word that the car was in fairly good condition with Normal wear.

Turns out rusted pinch welds and holes in the floor board are normal wear....

Stay away from any car being sold up North.

Check out my Project BNR32 thread to see what happens when you rush or dont dig deep.
I have seen a few GTRs and they are all pretty much worn out. Your car seems somewhat decent but thats just my opinion. Your definitely doing an excellent job of fixing it up. So, when you PCS do you plan on shipping car parts?
GC211 is offline   Reply With Quote