Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-18-2023, 11:42 AM   #1
Xracer
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
Xracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Xracer
So I got a CNC machine at work...and made this!

I have been away from the 240sx scene for a long time, but recently started working at a wood shop in Hawaii. The owner's son has an S13 2JZ coupe and we came up with the idea of making some parts for cars using our huge CNC 4 axis router. Hoping to make some extra money as a side gig.

Its a machine designed for woods, plastics, softer materials. Not metal so we work with what we got. I have plans for forged carbon fiber wheels in the future, and hybrids but right now we are starting with wood.

I figured we could probably make steering wheels, shift knobs and some other simple items. This is what I came up with so far.

Solid hardwood steering wheel made from Sapele (an african tree with a great smell) It is strong, dense and looks beautiful. Thinking we could do customizable logos in place of the hawaii islands, which are resin filled. Nismo, Silvia, etc.

1) I know this is made from wood, I know wood is not the strongest material in the world. I know wood can break and splinter and if you run your car into a wall and crash you might break the steering wheel and smash your face into a sharp edge and die a horrible death. OK! Use at your own risk, or hand it on your wall as a art piece.
2) I did break a prototype model intentionally and found it it will hold about 150lbs of force in compression (pushing on it at 3 and 9 o'clock positions) I am modifying the geometry slightly and want to get it closer to 200lbs of force which is plently for normal use.
3) This is designed to be an aesthetic part that is unique and different. Its not designed to be the strongest wheel on the market. There are other steering wheels in the market like acrylic wheels, nylon wheels, all those cheap older NRG wheels and chinese wheels etc...this wheel will hold MORE force than some of those. But its not going to beat a high quality nardi, momo wheel or similar.

Ok obvious concerns aside!

video: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CuYYS...RlODBiNWFlZA==

Old 08-18-2023, 01:48 PM   #2
kanyedian
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
kanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That's beautiful! Totally cool. I could see these on boats as well. Maybe the US Navy will give you a contract for submarine hatches as well xD

I want wooden sun visors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xracer View Post

I especially love the in-progress pics! That's totally rad to have laying around even before it's finished. I'd eat a salad out of that in a heartbeat lmaaaaao
Old 08-18-2023, 02:26 PM   #3
Xracer
Zilvia Addict

Xracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to behold
I could do sun visors, that is not a bad idea. I want to make these from different woods, maple for people who want a light colored wood, walnut for those who wand a dark wood, and sapele for those who want a medium wood.

I might do some special requests like ash, teak, or other woods that are suitable and strong. I think it would be nice to cut one from a solid 1pc disk.
Old 08-19-2023, 12:25 PM   #4
WreckedS14

Trader Rating: (1)
WreckedS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I need some wall art for my billiard room. I was going to buy a bunch of crap spec three piece wheels for the faces, polish them, and hang them in an enclosure. I'm starting to think you might be able to make me some wheels out of wood, which would fit the room better. Any interest in making home decor for car dudes? A te37 table with a cigar ash tray for a center cap would be pretty wild.
WreckedS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 12:31 PM   #5
Xracer
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreckedS14 View Post
I need some wall art for my billiard room. I was going to buy a bunch of crap spec three piece wheels for the faces, polish them, and hang them in an enclosure. I'm starting to think you might be able to make me some wheels out of wood, which would fit the room better. Any interest in making home decor for car dudes? A te37 table with a cigar ash tray for a center cap would be pretty wild.
I would love to make a set of wood TE37's and make a table. Send me some pics of what you have in mind. I could make almost anything that can be done on a 4 axis CNC. Actually I had a local guy contact me and say he wants one of the steering wheels just to hang on his wall because it looks so nice. The sapele hardwood has beautiful grain and a deep color.
Old 09-15-2023, 03:58 PM   #6
Xracer
Zilvia Addict

A couple of updates! Revised design, 2 versions of finishes. Gloss an Satin Clear coat.

Pretty happy with the results. these would make great wall art pieces.

If anybody wants to buy one, PM me. I have a couple extra blocks of material I can cut into steering wheels. They are not quire ready for full driving use yet, but if you want one for show or for wall art let me know. $360 shipped. Horn button an extra $40.

Old 09-16-2023, 09:07 AM   #7
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
I’d post this in a boat forum.

They are beautiful, but I wouldn’t want to turn my steering column into an artificial spear.
Old 09-17-2023, 07:52 PM   #8
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
I wonder how a coil pack cover would look. Like, OEM replacement style, letters on it and everything. Just wood.
Old 09-18-2023, 05:10 AM   #9
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Dolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsauto View Post
I wonder how a coil pack cover would look. Like, OEM replacement style, letters on it and everything. Just wood.
would be so fire.
Old 09-18-2023, 07:27 PM   #10
Xracer
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsauto View Post
It would be fine as a decorative piece or wall art. But it would likely not survive functionally. I doubt it will catch fire, but it may warp or discolor in the heat. It would have to be tested.
Old 09-20-2023, 11:58 AM   #11
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
wow thats amazing work! have you heard of infusing the wood with resin? might make it much stronger for the force you are looking at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQxtHxfqbeQ
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 08:30 PM   #12
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
Alright, idea #2. S13 shifter surrounds. You'd need to figure out a way to attach them, but something like that could be different and nice at the same time. Maybe even window crank/ window switch surrounds to help balance out the interior.
Old 09-22-2023, 07:07 AM   #13
thermogod
Leaky Injector

thermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond repute
let's go full circle. those small snap-in pieces in the door pockets that cover the screws for the door panel. make those out of wood, since they're $250000 otherwise.
Old 09-25-2023, 12:08 PM   #14
Xracer
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
wow thats amazing work! have you heard of infusing the wood with resin? might make it much stronger for the force you are looking at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQxtHxfqbeQ
Thanks! I am going to try this with some other things.