Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:38 AM   #1
dac2828

Trader Rating: (0)
dac2828 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why do you think Zilvia.net traffic is dying fast?

According to trafficestimate.com monthly visitor traffic for zilvia.net is down 46.5% year over year. Last November according to that website it says there were 272,200 visits and this November just 145,700 visits.

Is it because drifting is dying? Is it because the 240sx is becoming less trendy? Is it because 240sx owners are moving to other forums or on to other cars? Is it because of the moderators? Is is because online media is dying and print is coming back?

What do you think?

I personally have no idea but I would like to hear your thoughts and opinions. Thanks! And btw I love Zilvia!
dac2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2014, 10:53 AM   #2
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Print is definitely not coming back. And it's cause the world is running out of 240s to ruin
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:10 AM   #3
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Probably because we're all a bunch of dicks to new users.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #4
adrians_s13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (29)
adrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to adrians_s13
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
lol. this and it really seems as if theres a lot more frs owners than 240 owners nowadays, so I'm assuming a large majority migrated over to frs forums?
Old 12-23-2014, 09:31 PM   #5
motoman159
Zilvia Member

motoman159 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Yeah probably.
motoman159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:52 AM   #6
laurentj23
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
laurentj23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:

This. And assholes that know what they're talking about or tech savvy refused to help or be a smart ass about it like they're born having that knowledge.

'Born Ready!',LJ
laurentj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 02:06 PM   #7
ZacKisBacK_Fr
Leaky Injector

ZacKisBacK_Fr is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurentj23 View Post
This. And assholes that know what they're talking about or tech savvy refused to help or be a smart ass about it like they're born having that knowledge.
Agree with the above, that's why me and a lot of foreigners do not come here or post anymore.

Nothing to do with facebook or other social media as it's very different from my point of view. Many other car foras are still very alive just because the mods are a lot more active and the members a lot more mature and helpful, not just posers acting like racist dickheads...
Old 12-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #8
silviasandbeer
Zilvia Addict

silviasandbeer is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacKisBacK_Fr View Post
Agree with the above, that's why me and a lot of foreigners do not come here or post anymore.

Nothing to do with facebook or other social media as it's very different from my point of view. Many other car foras are still very alive just because the mods are a lot more active and the members a lot more mature and helpful, not just posers acting like racist dickheads...
i agree with this
being honest is one thing, but some people here go out of their way to be ass holes cause its the cool thing to do....or maybe theyre just ass holes lol
S/Z are international chassis's but this is deffanately an American forum

im on Audizine and Bimmerfest and over there people are deffantely way more helpful and friendly. at least in the B7 and E90 sections they are

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
I'm not kingtalon crazy, but I have standards
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
What age is appropriate to give your kids the sex talk? Is 3 too soon?
silviasandbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:46 PM   #9
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
This and the fact that this place turned into a wannabe ziptied.

You wanna look at cool pics of cars and builds? Zilvia.

You want actual technical info? NRR.

What? its the truth.
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #10
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I'd rather have a smaller amount of quality users, than more noobs. Haha.

But seriously, i'm guessing all the honda kids that started buying 240's are getting bored with them as the year of them being trendy is almost over, so they're going back to hondas or moving on to mustangs.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:00 PM   #11
AFSil80
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
AFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AFSil80 Send a message via MSN to AFSil80
Facebook.

That one website killed off automotive forums. Why pay for web hosting when you can just put it all on FB for free?

And I personally hate this because free-standing websites can archive content and make it accessible...good luck doing that with FB. Oh, and all it takes is one crybaby to get an entire group deleted on FB.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #12
Nissansota240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (21)
Nissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFSil80 View Post
Facebook
Quote:
Facebook
Quote:
Facebook
Quote:
Facebook
Quote:
Facebook
Quote:
Facebook
Quote:
Facebook
Quote:
Facebook
Quote:
Facebook

That, facebook pretty much destroyed the use of our small local forum. Everyone finds it easier to click on a tab on facebook rather then visiting a new site.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:41 PM   #13
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
IMO, it's to due a change in the demographics of the community. I've noticed fewer people with the patience and funds to build up their cars over time. Facebook does provide more convenience compared to a forum, but as someone mentioned it's not ideal if you want to preserve any information/knowledge sharing. It also doesn't help that there are fewer s-chassis cars out there and even fewer that are being properly taken care of. Another thing I've noticed is that most of the people I knew when I started in '02 have either moved on to another platform or choose to be low key and away from forums.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:27 PM   #14
Felipe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Felipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
Print is definitely not coming back.
Awwww shucks... puts away typewriter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleS14 View Post
I've noticed fewer people with the patience and funds to build up their cars over time. Facebook does provide more convenience compared to a forum, but as someone mentioned it's not ideal if you want to preserve any information/knowledge sharing. It also doesn't help that there are fewer s-chassis cars out there and even fewer that are being properly taken care of. Another thing I've noticed is that most of the people I knew when I started in '02 have either moved on to another platform or choose to be low key and away from forums.
Yes... lots of them for sale on the market and not selling like hot cakes
Late Night Crew #1
Felipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:36 PM   #15
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
Yes... lots of them for sale on the market and not selling like hot cakes
Stock clean ones, yes. Modified ones, not so much.

I've seen the same cars listed for several months now. Then again, they're junk as always. Rattle canned, poorly modified, SR swapped with sketchy wiring, etc.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:13 PM   #16
delado
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
delado is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
yeah Facebook pretty much ruined it. I like forums mostly because of vendors. It's a good way to offer sweet deals and group buys. You can't do that FB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
That's because everyone with a zenki feels sorry for themselves and they find commonality in the fact that there's no hope for making them look remotely good.
delado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:17 PM   #17
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
I'm on a few FB groups but I rarely read the posts. 90% of them seem to be dudes spotting jank 240's asking "YOU ON HERE BRO?"
spooled240 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:42 PM   #18
dac2828

According to trafficestimate.com the S2000 forum S2ki.com monthly visitor traffic is up 23.3% year over year with 233,550 visits last November and 287,900 visits this November. I know S2ki is run by a large company called Internet Brands which has hundreds of employees and Zilvia is not. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. I can see how Facebook can be hurting automotive forums but it's not hurting S2ki like it is hurting Zilvia.

I still don't understand why the traffic on Zilvia is dropping so fast.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #19
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
^^^Well I know I for one would much rather have an S2000 than an S14, so maybe that has something to do with it. As robust as our aftermarket is, our platform is still old & dead. NICO is half dead too. Why bother building an S-Chassis when I can now go buy a factory turbo'd BMW for the cost it would take to make a 240 not be complete ass? We're going the way of the S30 and the 510. Just go have a look at their dead ass forums.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:05 PM   #20
Z_Spool
Zilvia FREAK!

Z_Spool has a spectacular aura aboutZ_Spool has a spectacular aura aboutZ_Spool has a spectacular aura aboutZ_Spool has a spectacular aura aboutZ_Spool has a spectacular aura aboutZ_Spool has a spectacular aura about
I fell like that's mainly due to the demographic of S2k drivers. They typically skew older, a generation that doesn't rely on Facebook the way most of the generation of 240 drivers use it. I think that's pretty apparent by the ages of people I'm noticing are beginning to post more regularly here. Without doing any research into it anyway, it seems to me that there are more people breaching 30 that are posting nowadays compared to the majority of teenagers that actually own these cars anymore.

I really do think that it comes down to the people who are driving 240's and Z-cars these days are mostly kids that don't have the need/desire/patience/attention span to utilize a message board.
Z_Spool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:18 AM   #21
dac2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Spool View Post
I fell like that's mainly due to the demographic of S2k drivers. They typically skew older, a generation that doesn't rely on Facebook the way most of the generation of 240 drivers use it. I think that's pretty apparent by the ages of people I'm noticing are beginning to post more regularly here. Without doing any research into it anyway, it seems to me that there are more people breaching 30 that are posting nowadays compared to the majority of teenagers that actually own these cars anymore.

I really do think that it comes down to the people who are driving 240's and Z-cars these days are mostly kids that don't have the need/desire/patience/attention span to utilize a message board.
Honda-tech.com traffic is up, apparently Miata.net traffic is up. I know Gary over on that forum is very proactive about policing his site and Honda tech is Internet Brands and those guys also are on it... they will kick you off if you go too far with being disrespectful and going out of your way to be unproductive. The owner of this forum is a great guy as far as I know... I know he works for the government but I'm not sure how he deals with the moderators who deal with the internet thugs aka losers. This is by far one of the least financially driven automotive forums that gets decent traffic that I know of if that makes sense.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:37 PM   #22
Nick@Fortune-Auto
Zilvia Member

Nick@Fortune-Auto is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Spool View Post

I agree, its all demographics. The average S-chassis owner is on the younger end of the spectrum. Younger= more use of IG and Facebook and less time on forums.

We have 3 guys in our marketing department and we noticed this trend for the past 3 years now. Nicer more expensive cars like lets say the FRS are a completely different demographic then the S-chassis and are more likely to spend more time on forums then social media for car related activities.

I will say that the s-chassis market is not dying. We have sold more s-chassis coilovers this year then ever before.

WEBSITE / BLOG / PRODUCTS
BESPOKE SUSPENSION SOLUTIONS
Nick@Fortune-Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:02 PM   #23
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry@Fortune-Auto View Post
I agree, its all demographics. The average S-chassis owner is on the younger end of the spectrum. Younger= more use of IG and Facebook and less time on forums.

We have 3 guys in our marketing department and we noticed this trend for the past 3 years now. Nicer more expensive cars like lets say the FRS are a completely different demographic then the S-chassis and are more likely to spend more time on forums then social media for car related activities.

I will say that the s-chassis market is not dying. We have sold more s-chassis coilovers this year then ever before.
I can second this. I have noticed a demographic change but not a decrease in sales of engine mounts in fact I also have sold more Mounts this year as well.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:55 PM   #24
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Silverbullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry@Fortune-Auto View Post
How many of those are new 240 owners? I'm willing to bet a large portion of them are existing 240 owners ditching their blown Teins with a new set of Fortunes. Fortune seems the be one of the few coilover brands that still attempt at marketing. Jap labels like Tein, Cusco, and HKS really don't market their products towards S chassis anymore.
Go back to whatever Honda forum you came from.
Silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:56 PM   #25
nick Ritter
Leaky Injector

nick Ritter is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
How many of those are new 240 owners? I'm willing to bet a large portion of them are existing 240 owners ditching their blown Teins with a new set of Fortunes. Fortune seems the be one of the few coilover brands that still attempt at marketing. Jap labels like Tein, Cusco, and HKS really don't market their products towards S chassis anymore.
+1 totally agree !
nick Ritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:13 AM   #26
g35gabby
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
g35gabby is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
If you don't know these products exist for a 240 at this point, then it is highly unlikely that you are going to buy them anyway.

You can thank the EMUS, Raceland, Megan, insert ebay brand here for that as well. Who wants to even try and compete when your price point is double the ebay junk and "just as good for the money"...

These brands are marketing to FRS/BRZs and Genesis coupes now. their buyers are a little older, have the credit to buy a new(er) car, and aren't "ratchet" spec in most cases as the ones modding them are also daily driving them and care if their parts last more than 6 months.

I remember when Tein was a big player and big name, but honestly I don't even hear them talked about in my almost 30 generation anymore. The BC products I have used killed the Teins I have had, and I feel like cusco tried even less to get into the US market place. Least Tein was advertising in Super street and other tuner mags, plus they were doing Hot import nights back in the day... I don't think Cusco went even that far, less I just don't remember.

I don't see many new products for the S chassis anymore period, less it is Chinese replicas. Most everything has been done, less you feel like creating it yourself. The China thing may play a part as well about that as who wants to make anything if it is just going to get ripped off anyway.

I think the lack of nice and clean ones for reasonable prices and the large selection of other platforms with more to offer at similar price points is really what is sending the 240 to s12 land.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:56 PM   #27
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
There's a few things... Facebook groups, people losing interest in the chassis, people being low key and not posting much of anything. Oh and people being dicks to the new people

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:43 PM   #28
dbeiler
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
It's getting increasingly difficult to justify putting loads of time and money into these aging cars. At some point soon, it will be more cost effective to buy a new FR-S, instead of buying an older 240 then replacing all the weather-stripping, bushings, and paint. Good luck even finding some of those parts anymore.

The more vocal of these forum members are older, ill-tempered, geezers who have zero patience for the young squirts with no money and no experience. Bashing is becoming much more prominent than helpful advice. New ideas are illegal. Hell, any creativity at all will be quickly squashed.

The 'car people' are a dying breed. Teenagers nowadays want a prius/accord/sentra/corolla. They don't understand why someone would dump lots of time and money into a simple transportation device.
dbeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:24 AM   #29
dac2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeiler View Post
It's getting increasingly difficult to justify putting loads of time and money into these aging cars. At some point soon, it will be more cost effective to buy a new FR-S, instead of buying an older 240 then replacing all the weather-stripping, bushings, and paint. Good luck even finding some of those parts anymore.

The more vocal of these forum members are older, ill-tempered, geezers who have zero patience for the young squirts with no money and no experience. Bashing is becoming much more prominent than helpful advice. New ideas are illegal. Hell, any creativity at all will be quickly squashed.

The 'car people' are a dying breed. Teenagers nowadays want a prius/accord/sentra/corolla. They don't understand why someone would dump lots of time and money into a simple transportation device.
I believe the car culture niche and all of it is bigger today in our country than it ever has been. You may be right thou that teenagers are becoming less into the adrenalin thing and extreme sports and so on but... idk. I talked with a local book store owner the other day in a college town in PA. He's been in business for 39 years... he told me college kids would NEVER come in... and over the last 5 years now it's only college kids. He sells books for like a $1... it's a small town where he is. So it could be possible that car modifying for young kids is dying... but... why are all the other forums growing?
Old 12-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #30
hefeglass

hefeglass is an unknown quantity at this point
people are scared to post because they might be "doing it wrong"
hefeglass is offline   Reply With Quote