Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #1
Neejay
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Neejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Adjusting brake pedal (other than booster rod)

I've basically almost stripped the brake booster rod trying to adjust it. Even with locking pliers. I can't bed my new q45 brakes in because the pedal goes down too far (not stiff enough).

Is there an alternate way to adjust the brake pedal stiffness?

EDIT: It's not the MC either, as my brakes were just fine before doing this. I also have speedbleeders and stock s13 manual brake booster with stock rear brakes.
Neejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Are you sure you bled the lines correctly?
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:21 PM   #3
Neejay
Post Whore!

Neejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by g6civcx View Post
Are you sure you bled the lines correctly?
That's on the list of things to try (which would be done before this). But I was just double checking in case they are/do get bled correctly and I'm still getting the problem.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:20 PM   #4
Neejay
Post Whore!

Ok, re-bled. They stop fine, but the pedal is still a bit soft. Stops fine, but not as stiff as I'd like it.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:26 AM   #5
SoguRacing
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
SoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SoguRacing
Ok, i just did the q45 brake upgrade myself like 2 days ago. and bled the lines and all... my pedal is a bit mushy too.. there's a reason for this. The old calipers were single piston sliding calipers and the new q45 calipers a "dual" meaning 2 piston sliding calipers. It takes more fluid to move the caliper due to the added pistons. More fluid flow is needed in order to move the calipers the same amount as the stock 240 calipers. so, in order to solve this problem i would recommend getting a 15/16 MBC instead of using the stock 7/8 MBC that you have right now. This will give you a stiffer pedal and better brake feedback. good luck
Old 03-20-2008, 07:27 AM   #6
Neejay
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoguRacing View Post
Ok, i just did the q45 brake upgrade myself like 2 days ago. and bled the lines and all... my pedal is a bit mushy too.. there's a reason for this. The old calipers were single piston sliding calipers and the new q45 calipers a "dual" meaning 2 piston sliding calipers. It takes more fluid to move the caliper due to the added pistons. More fluid flow is needed in order to move the calipers the same amount as the stock 240 calipers. so, in order to solve this problem i would recommend getting a 15/16 MBC instead of using the stock 7/8 MBC that you have right now. This will give you a stiffer pedal and better brake feedback. good luck
Gotcha. See, that's what I was thinking, but I thought I read that people who did the upgrade didn't need to change BMC's...unless maybe it's personal preference as to the softness/stiffness of the pedal.

I guess it's back to using a 86 S12 BMC like I had on my old s13.

Semi-edit: I just realized that I didn't extend the adjusting rod (lodge a bar to make the brake pedal pressed or get someone to do it) before trying to adjust it. So you're saying that adjusting the rod won't help at all and I just need to upgrade/change the BMC?
Old 03-21-2008, 01:37 PM   #7
Neejay
Post Whore!

I lodged an old torque wrench to push the pedal some enough to get some locking pliers around it + 7mm wrench and it adjusted with ease. I adjusted the rod out some, and the pedal feels semi-stock, but with noticeable better braking.

I'll eventually upgrade the BMC (probably when I go FI)
Old 03-28-2008, 04:10 AM   #8
all stock
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
all stock is on the path to ruinall stock is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
my pedal was a little soft until i bedded in my pads, can't hurt to try that.

NASA PTD/SCCA ITS
all stock is offline   Reply With Quote